Named for the famed winding, twisting street in San Francisco, Lombard starts with a base of red and bright Virginias. It is then enhanced with American 'condimental' leaf, including an angel's share of Perique. The twist in this Lombard? A delicate breath of Cyprus Latakia is added for a whisper of smokiness and a slightly deeper flavor. A gentle introduction to Latakia for the Virginia smoker, or just a delightful change of pace.

Notes: Lombard was released in August, 2005.

BrandG. L. Pease
Blended ByGregory Pease
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin
BnB Tobacco
Strength
Taste

After the excellent Montgomery, the good Telegraph Hill and the intriguing Ashbury, I had only Lombard left to try in the Fog City Selection.

So far, I think it's the most undistinguished of the four. It's not bad at all, but it has little to make it stand out. I am smoking it pleasantly, but it doesn't scream from the tin begging me to smoke it, it doesn't fill a particular hole in my rotation.

If you have smoked Montgomery, you know what to expect: the base Virginias are similar, but there is a pinch of perique and Latakia. Well, that pinch is so light that you might almost think someone forgot it... just a minuscule speck here and there. It's truly even LESS than a hint of condimental leaf! You can probably say that their presence is not felt, but if they were absent you would probably feel the lack of them: I guess that a couple of years of aging will take care of this, melding the flavor from these little perique+latakia speck into a cohesive whole, adding subliminally to the experience.

So far, from a relatively fresh tin, the effect is a bit underwhelming. Even waiting the ordinary 10 minutes from the charring light for the blend to kick in (a trademark of this series), I never felt the same stunning evolution of Montgomery: yes, I compare it only to Montgomery as it's the most similar to Lombard of the four. Montgomery had that wonderful Kentucky in it, Lombard does not. Whatever the reason, the taste of Lombard stays very delicate, with some chocolate, some grassy notes... but never evolves into anything truly mouthwatering. It's not bad, either (nothing is actually wrong in the taste), so if you want something probably even subtler than Montgomery you will love it.

One note about packing: the cut is very irregular but stringy, so take care not to overpack and clog the airhole. Moisture content in the tin was also a bit higher than usual, so take EXTRA care. A medium bowl is recommended: not a little one, as flavor won't have enough time to develop, nor a big one because it can become a little boring (while Montgomery shined in big bowls).

But, as I said, I am curious to see what aging will bring to Lombard: I have four tins in my cellar, and I have a suspicion that in 2007 or 2008 I will have to upgrade the rating, given the nature of the blend and the aging potential.

2008 Update: almost three years have passed, and I am smoking one of the tins I had cellared when released. The blend has actually improved: very smooth, with a very pleasant sweetness. It burns much better (go figure...), it has no green herbal notes... Very pleasant and "low maintenance". Perhaps it tends to burn a little fast now, but it's a minor issue. Rating upgraded accordingly...

Medium None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

Another masterpiece of Mr. Pease. This is a mild and subtle VaPer that requires a lot of attention in order to fulfill. I don't agree with the tin description ("a gentle introduction to Latakia") as there is such a small amount of the Cypriot leaf as to make this a "seasoned VaPer", but never an English mixture.

The special thing about Lombard, anyway, is its subtetly. As stated above, anything that takes your attention away from your pipe will make you feel like you're pulling hot air out of it. Taste buds need to be clean to detect the subtetlies of these Virginias, so puffing is a no-no and sipping is a must. In fact, the best way to enjoy this blend is through breath smoking. This technique is not instinctive to me, so even watching a movie will ruin the beautiful experience.

One more thing: the flavors are greatly enhanced in a clay, so have you got one, fill it with Lombard and fly. If you don't, go get a couple and then update your review. :-)

chefdaniel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chefdaniel (1)

I like this blend. I was gifted a tin that has some age on it, and found the ribbon cut a unique balance of width and length, that made loading and lighting very easy in a large Autograph. The moisture content was perfect.

This blend under promises and over delivers...a very good thing in this day and age. Understated and elegant in the delivery of Perique and Latakia...very nicely done as condiments/seasonings to the main entree of outstanding Virginias.

I like it very much as a mid-morning smoke with a cup of strong Ceylon tea with milk and sugar. It is also very nice in the late afternoon with a glass of (gasp!) blended Scots Whisky; water, no ice.

Enthusiastically Recommeded.

daidunno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
daidunno (9)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have found the few mostly-Virginia based tobaccos that I've tried to either have too much of a bite, not enough flavor or both. This has a good flavor that varies through the bowl and with how hard it is puffed, with different nuances being evident with both variables. I enjoy both perique and Latakia, but for me both of these were just barely spicing the main flavor, which stood well on its own. In a well(not densely)-packed medium-small bowl, this was very nice straight from the tin and I only found a bare hint of a bite, which may've been my fault since I'm not used to VAs. I had to do two charring lights, but after that only one or two relights to get to the bottom with a nice clean ash and, for the bottom of a bowl, still a nice flavor. I do not think that this is fantastic, but it is very good and I will definitely keep smoking it on a regular basis.

This is a very tasty blend. It is a VaBur on the red Virginia end of the spectrum. There is a depth and fullness to the Virginias that I find very satisfying. The perique and the latakia are a subtle touch - the perique less so.

The perique adds enough pepper to make the flavor profile interesting. I find it comes and goes as I smoke and it works well for me at the "Angel Share" level. The latakia is really condimental, It adds a few bass notes, but it is hard for me to really pick out.

This is a solid 3+ on the rating scale. It is not a flavor bomb. It is a somewhat mild smoke and satisfies with a nicely balanced combination of flavors. Were the pricing on this a little more attractive, I would probably smoke a lot of it.

Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Brights and browns that give off a healthy tin aroma that belies the mild taste. Yet, this has a fair bit of strength even while the flavors are subtle. This strikes me as GL Pease's take on the American English. VA and burley in the forefront (burley riding shotgon) with the condiments riding in the rear seat. It had a hint of Middleton's Walnut in the taste but with more depth.

Comparing this to C&D's Epiphany, therefore, seemed appropriate to me, as they appear to be geared toward the same smokers as well as blended in the same kitchen. But where Epiphany had bolder flavor and a higher level of complexity... and was more, well, epiphanous, Lombard just sort of eased onto the scene with a more nuanced presentation. The perique and latakia were noticeable and added their own spice and the VA's were sweet but not overly so. It was a mellow smoke but not wimpy. Developed more body down the bowl if not more complexity. I agree that it has probably succeeded with its intent at a target audience. However, I find it interesting, but nothing I feel the need to stock, or even necessarily smoke again. I prefer Epiphany, hands down.

mskywalker2000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mskywalker2000 (11)

I'm working my way through the 'Fog City Selection' (FCS).

Reason is that I like Virginia tobacco, and the FCS adds different condiments to a solid Virginia base. This lets you explore the subtle flavors of the additions and how they change the overall smoking experience.

Of note, the additions are never dominant, at times barely detectable even. This does not deter me from smoking FCS in general; I have been impressed with the quality.

Lombard is a pleasant smoke, easy on the palate. A bit on the sweet side perhaps, with very mild spice.

atlharp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atlharp (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

G.L. Pease is a master blender and this is a nice little sleeper from his fog city collection. Overall when first opened from the tin this was a pungent, sharp blend that I thought was made to be a flavor overload. I wasn't that impressed, so I let it sit in the box with other tins I purchased. I happened upon it the other day while going through the box to smoke something different and found that the tobacco had in fact improved significantly. The pungent flavor gave way to a subtle, complex flavor of sweetness and tobacco flavor. The latakia (which was really hidden early on) is starting to whisper in the background of the blend. The slight smokiness in the flavor is yielding many other things hidden. This blend is a true gem, and really easy to look over. If I had to recommend this, I would say it is a VaPer for those Virginia lovers who are looking for a nice change of pace. Another masterpiece by Pease!

Budman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Budman (24)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Lombard is just what it says, a gentle introduction to Latakia.

As a VA smoker I find this blend to be very pleasant. The red Virginia being the dominate leaf would be a plus for someone that's delving into the Latakia world for the first time.

The amount of Latakia and Perique are little more then a whisper. My tin was extremely moist and required quite a bit of dry time.

The ribbon cut packs well and stays lit.This is a gentle blend and will probably even stay that way with age.

Like everything Pease touches it's quality. Recommended

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin: Musty, ripe smell. Mostly brown, with about 5% black ribbon. Doesn't feel very moist and springs back apart when rolled into a ball. Date on bottom: 111506.

Packing & Lighting: A little stringy, lit well, and not much moisture produced in the pipe. Burned down completely to ash.

Taste & Aroma: Akin to Telegraph Hill from the Fog City Selection, maybe with a little more pungency from the perique, or maybe it's the Latakia; I can't discern any Latakia as an individual component. The perique and Latakia would only be noticed by comparing Lombard to the same blend lacking them. No bite.

Room Note: medium perique residual, somewhat musty.

Nicotine: mild

Overall: For a blend with perique and Latakia, not remarkable. The perique should make for a tobacco heady from the nicotine. 2.7 stars.

Alouette Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alouette (7)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This blend seems to require the right pipe to differentiate the subtlety of its flavours. In a small (221) Peterson, the Virginias are in the foreground with hints of Perique and Latakia floating in the background. Then there is the mysterious ?condimental leaf? that serves to gentle this smoke without adding much in the way of taste. In my other pipes, the Perique seems lost. Lombard is an easy-going, early-morning smoke and a nice summery change of pace. I won?t stock up heavily on this blend, but I look forward someday to checking out the two tins aging in the cellar.

Eric Cioe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eric Cioe (24)

I rate this as a four star blend with the understanding that for me, it is exactly what the tin suggests - a delightful change of pace.

This blend is perfect for summer afternoons sitting on the grass reading a book. The perique doesn't start to kick in until a few minutes into the thing, and the Virginias dominate the blend. I can't taste the latakia, though I'm sure I could taste a difference if it weren't there.

While my standard fare is stuff like Ashbury, Charing Cross, and Odyssey, this is exactly what the tin says - a delightful change of pace, perfect for summer afternoons. Highly recommended for that particular purpose.

UPDATE - I smoked this today in a Lorenzo Canadian, and even in the 85 degree heat in Chicago today, I loved the stuff. This is the perfect summer blend.

EDIT: Hard to call something I smoke this occasionally a four star blend. I still enjoy it, but I'm fixing my grade inflation. Three stars, and everything else stands.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

To me this a good Virginia blend, but I didn't notice a lot about the other leaves involved. The quality is there as always with Pease, but probably this subtle mixture is suitable to palates more refined than mine. Maybe, like some reviewers suggested, some cellaring time will benefit the blend.

pyroboby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pyroboby (5)

Cracking open the tin you are greeted with mixture heavy on the light brown with some spectales of black. It is a ribbon cut tobacco that has a wonderful smell in the tin, the virginias are very evident. Packing should be done carefully so ya don't scorch your tongue. Upon lighting you are greeted with the wonderful virginia flavor along with that tartness that can only be perique. The latakia pops out now and then, but really is just a side note compared to the VA/perique. Everytime it burns down to white ash without excess moisture. Anyone looking to break into Latakia blends should give this a whirl as it won't overpower you on the smokiness. A great blend that is very recommended.

Bart Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bart (2)

Lombard is a fantastic blend - I join Mr. Weeks in including it among my 3 favorite tobaccos. I recently opend a tin that had several month of age on it and the tin aroma reminded of one of my old favorites: Rattray's 7 Reserve, about 35 years ago when it was still blended BY Rattray (I don't care much for the recent incarnation of 7 Reserve). A luscious assortment of Virginias seasoned by small, but precise, amounts of Perique and Latakia - enough seasoning to enhance the richness of the Virginias, but not so much as to compete with them. I would liken Lombard to a lightly peated Speyside Scotch, such as Ardmore.

Lombard is a blend for the lover of fine tobaccos blended with finesse and precision.

Ian Weeks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian Weeks (36)

I was fascinated by this expertly labored upon blend by the masterful Glp the moment I popped the tin. What does this classify as, a Vaper? I think so. Or perhaps a Vaper hybrid, the fragrant Latakia in the tin note is present and accounted for.

Lombard might be one of my top 3 favorite blends of all time, I love red Virginias and I love Perique, and though I rarely indulge in blends containing Latakia I found that its residence in this blend was not pronounced enough for me to notice its presence any more than a soft and gentle wind during a thunderstorm. In fact I think that the Latakia actually settles the VA?s down just a bit and lends flavor to the Perique making for a mild but sweet, flavorful though not overpowering blend.

peacepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peacepipe (16)

This is a wily one, in that, it doesn't show too many remarkable features at the match. For the top 3rd of the bowl (based on my most recent tasting, in a small rusticated Castello) it had a slightly harsh, almost herbal quality. I had a similar experience with the excellent sister blend from this series, Montgomery, a blend of which I'm aging about 5 tins and the collection is growing. [More tins of Lombard will be following.]

But don't give up there, and judge not this blend till you commit to the whole bowlful...

The next 2 3rds of the bowl developed into a rich-yet-subtle, sweet-ish journey of relaxation and contemplation--the whole point of pipe tobacco for me. The Virginias started singing and the Latakia/Perique provided soft background vocals (ok, dead giveaway, yes I'm a musician). Not a whopping nicotine effect here, but then I don't seek getting my butt kicked by nicotine (though a bit of the buzz is welcome); life provides enough butt-kicking already.

VAman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
VAman (26)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

i found this blend to be of good quality, but to mild for my usual taste, i did however enjoy it. it was far better for me than dunhill EMP so i conclusion somone with a taste toward mild but flavorful will love this blend

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (40)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco kind of fooled me at first. It seemed dry when I opened the can. So dry I added some mists of distilled water. Then I had to let it dry back out get it just right. It is a pleasure to smoke. It smells better burning than it did in the can. It lights up the room it is so pleasant. Of course, I enjoy the scent of virginia tobaccos burning. The latakia presence is just right, just a subtle touch. It is now added to my regular line of cans that I smoke 2-3 times a week. Try it then try it again.

Flyboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flyboy (39)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Another winner! I love this blend, especially in the cooler mornings with a good cup of java. The small amount of latakia makes it a great morning smoke as it stays mostly in the background and surfaces in the second half of the bowl. The Captain of this ship is the varieties of Va`s. CopilotPerique, well,he lays low and rounds out the Va`s when they get a bit off the flight plan. A great crew....I mean tobacco blend! Will only get better as they mature together. Cellar plenty and have a great flight!!!!

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (135)

This new blend is more complex in composition than Mr. Pease's other two -- Montgomery and Telegraph Hill, and thus needs more aging to achieve it's climax IMO.

Still smokable out of the tin, with the same semi-sweet, haylike virginia as a base. But some darker leaf gives it more of an English dimension.

I'm giving it an interim review after about 15-20 bowls in a new Comoy Oom Paul purchased at the RTDA. A dry smoking pipe and a mild to medium blend to test it with.

One tobacconist who sold me this said it is lighter than Telegraph Hill, I agree, but much better to him than Montgomery due to the added weight from the latakia. I still prefer Montgomery, but this is a good light English that will ehance with age.

I'll try this more. I evacauted N.O from Katrina with my Comoy and a tin of this. If Telegraph Hill helps you forget earthquakes, this one Helps me forget my exile. More later. Enjoy.

For me, the dominant flavor was the Latakia. It wasn't overwhelming, but it was the primary flavor over the burley. Any Va or Per may have added to the slight complexity, but very much under the other other two. A nice standard American-English.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (73)

I have enjoyed all the Fog City collection so far and this is the same. Tastes just as discribed. A Va with a touche of Per and Lat. Not overly complex but quite enjoyable

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (114)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This blend seems to me to be trying to be all things for all smokers... a VaPer, a Burley, and a light English. In its efforts, it fails to be really great at any one of those styles. If you are looking for an American English, Cornell & Diehl have many better offerings. But this GLP mixture simply did not click for me.

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (61)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

As the label reads, "A gentle introduction to Latakia for the Virginia smoker"--GENTLE is the operative word!! Lombard is a just too soft and too subtle; it is supremely lacking in substance. It doesn't provide much in the way of flavor of any kind. While the Virginias do supply just a hint of sweetness, there's not enough body and strength. And the Latakia and Perique elements are barely detectable. For its intended purpose as a cross-over blend targeting the Latakia novice, this blend might work, but I sincerely doubt it. For the more seasoned English/Balkan devotees, even those in the "light" English/Balkan camps, FORGET IT! This blend is simply too insipid!!

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Just as the label states, a virginia with latakia as a light addition. The virginia's are great, but the latakia is more noticeable in the aroma than in the taste. The latakia is certainly used sparingly. The perique is gently in the back ground. Reminds me of Escudo rubbed out. It's a light blend that goes well with a good cup of coffee, and as a 1st pipe of the day. Burns to a nice gray ash.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)

This review being based upon a 4 year-old sample, the tin aroma of this mixture of small-flake and short-cut ribbon is expectedly sauerkrauty. A distinct note of perique augments this effect.

Cane sugar-sweet red and gold virginias along with a secondary element of light burley (and perhaps a touch of KY) set the baseline. The perique is not dominant, though present in enough amounts to admirably frame the VAs. Latakia is evanescently present, detectable only if consciously sought.

Though the tin copy may suggest a Piccadilly-like English blend, this is All- American; a virginia/burley blend titled toward the virginias and backed up by truly condimental condiments. Those seeking a sophisticated all-day blend will be delighted. This seemed best in narrow to medium gauge chambers.

Esoxhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Esoxhunter (60)

The latakia in this blend really adds some body, although the flavor is primarily VA and perique. As a former cig smoker and sometime cigar smoker, I like the body. I also tasted more perique than some other reviewers, which for me is definitely a good thing. Not as much as in TH or Haddo's, though. Still, thre stars for this one.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My tin was just over a year old. (And it took a lot of will power to keep it unopened until after its birthday!) Whether affected by age, or due to inconsistency in production, my experience was closer to that of the previous reviewer. Lombard is not a mild smoke.

Tongue bite is a big problem for me with this blend. Go slow.

Read Mr. Pease's description on the tin. This is the most accurate description of a blend I have ever read. And let it age at least a year.

Fountainhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fountainhead (16)

The tin I purchased of this one was from 2006 and it was nearly bursting from the fermentation, so that may have affected the flavor somewhat. Reviews have said this blend is mild, which may be true of more recent batches, but mine was solidly medium due to the aging. It has a very broad and colorful flavor. The Virginia base is even and warm, a very typical bright flavor. The Perique is overlain, which adds a nice woody sort of spice to it. There is a little bit of Latakia that nicely compliments the blend without smothering it. This is a very tastefully balanced blend for Virginia smokers who would like to try something a bit more adventurous.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

Pease Pilgrimage Reviews (a tasting journey through every GLPease blend) Tin date: April, 2010

Appearance: Rich deep brown ribbon with the very occasional black bit of Latakia.

Tin aroma: Not as grassy or hay-like as many Pease Virginias. The Latakia comes across dimly in what is overall a very mild aroma.

Flavor: I would characterize Lombard as a mild Virginia. Yes, it has some other stuff in there but the predominant flavor is VA leaf with just enough spice to make it interesting. The Latakia is just enough to notice but no more. The Perique is noticeable, but I can't tell what that other “condimental” leaf is.

The flavor builds slowly, and although it stays relatively steady throughout the smoke, it does gain some strength and richness during the second half of the bowl. In fact, even though this blend is in many ways similar to the other Fog City selections that did not impress me, that rich second half won me over.

It requires careful attention to technique in order to extract the subtle flavors. If you're patient with this one, and if you like mild but flavorful blends, you will enjoy getting to know Lombard. Three stars.

Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

Lombard is typical of most Pease blends in that the quality is there. I think cellaring will probably enhance Lombard's Virginia element, but I'd personally cut the blend with a stronger Virginia as this is a light affair.

This is a rather stringy concoction that is not really very easy to pack unless given a whirl in my one speed food processor. It does stay lit well and the Latakia comes through just enough to make its presence known. The Perique was applied discreetly and perhaps enhances an otherwise typical light Latakia blend.

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)

I can see where Lombard might be someone's cup of tea, but it's not mine. It's a GLP blend, so of course it's quality. It's a pleasant enough smoke.

There's more than a whisper of Perique here. I'm sure that the Latakia does something for the blend, but I can't pick it out. The VA tobacs are tasty, but unassuming.

I'll be finishing my tin but I won't be buying another.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (67)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

The blend is a beautiful golden ribbon cut with speckles of black which are probably the latakia. The aroma from the can is very much Virginans and Perique. I could detect very little latakia. I've read the reviews that said it was dry but I did not find this and the tin I opened lent itself to a perfect pack.

I found the latakia added not enough for my tastes and because it was there but not in a significant way, don't think it added to the smoke. Defintetely a Virgina/Perique blend. As the can says, it is a change of pace and interesting but I don't think one of my regulars. Will see how the tin goes and I will continue to add to this review over the next month.

Adding to the review a week later and a few more pipes I find it a nice mid-day smoke. Still not enough latakia for my taste but the aroma does not overwhelm a room as a stronger latakia blend would do. Nice fluffy, white ash.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

As others have mentioned, this is for me an undistinguished blend, and so has no place in my cellar.