This is a light/dark mixture (technically, it's considered a Scottish blend) of Carolina and Virginia flake-cut, with Stoved Virginia, a light amount of Latakia, and a bit of unflavored toasted Black Cavendish. A mild and slightly sweet smoke with character.

Notes: The name existed before the blend. One of our employees suggested that we make a tobacco called Distinguished Penguin, so we took the challenge.

BrandHearth & Home
Taste

3.1
Splat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Splat (2)

Never had this before but today I smoked 3 medium-sized bowls of this and I already like it. Sometimes it got little tangy but for the most part it has a rich, sweet, somewhat nutty and smokey flavor. Very mild nicotine. I cannot see the Captain Black connection others noted. The 5oz I received from P&C was perfect..not too dry or moist. It is confetti-like in appearance and is easily packable and smokes well. I will be picking up more in the very near future. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Distinguished Penguin as others have pointed out looks exactly like fish food; If you have ever owned a goldfish than you know what mean. It arrives quite dry and pipe ready. Sadly much of the bottom of my pouch was just dust. DP is a bit sweet, likely from the Cavendish, and has a bit of sour tang to it too. IMHO, as English, it is lacking, and as a Scottish blend, it falls below the other Scottish blends on the market. The flavor isn’t bad, but it burns hot. I think this was one of Russ’ blends prior to his current (and well deserved) rock star status. Given the wide array of great blends from Russ Ouellette, DP is pretty far down on my list.

Purchased From: Hearth & Home, pipeandcigars.com

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (38)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Wood shavings, or oatmeal and raisins in appearance. Very odd looking blend. Very dry. Much drier than I am used to. Light English tin note. Wife note is "pleasant, but not something for the car."

I'm a bit at odds on this blend. There is nothing offensive in it. The Latakia was added with a very light hand. The Cavendish likewise is present, but not by much. Packing is unusual due to the flaky, dry consistency. It burns fast and very clean but does not bite. Stays lit very easily. Leaves a slight Virginia sweetness on the back of the tongue.

I'm about six bowls into the 1.5 oz tin, and nothing is really screaming "buy more of me!" On the other hand, it is a mild, pleasant, if unremarkable Scottish-like blend. I like a little more out of my tobacco. DP would be great for someone dipping his toe into English blends, or the beginning smoker. I initially gave it three stars because it is a good blend, worth a try and I am sure some will love it, but dropped it to two stars because it is not terribly compelling for me.

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (48)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not a good nighttime smoke, unless you want to go to bed wanting more...

But there is a very pleasant trio of tastes here that I really enjoy when the mood is right. This is a good tobacco for pale beer and although I haven't tried it, I'd like to have a scotch and soda to go along with it. I want to try McClelland Scottish Woods before purchasing anymore Penguin because I don't care for the ticky tacky bottom of the jar quality of the tobacco.

Pipe Used: cob

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

This blend is indeed mellow and sweet. It is very much distinguished. I am opinionated against Hearth & Homes because of the all around weird taste and smell. Almost chemically.

With that said this blend was a strong body and a rich complex taste that I grew to like for a long while. It's the first iv'e seen under the scottish name which I still don't fully understand.

For the price and deals this brand offers, you can get quite a variety for a very cheap price. That would be the only reason I would recommend this besides the decent taste.

Pipe Used: Nording Freehand, Nording Billiard

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

SecretAgentMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SecretAgentMan (27)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Hunter's "Wood shavings, or oatmeal and raisins" is right, that's exactly how this tobacco looks. Mine was fairly dry (bought in bulk) so only 10-15 minutes spread out on a plate was required to get it where I wanted it. I put it in an MM Washington. It bit immediately, and kept biting and biting and biting, but that's because I tend to smoke too fast and too hot. I toned myself down to very small sips from the stem. The tobacco smoothed down instantly into an experience of natural peanut butter, walnuts, and molasses with small busrts of "neighbors burning fall leaves" tartness. (You may be shouting at the monitor, "Idiot, that's how you're supposed to smoke all of them!" No doubt true, but then this is the tobacco that taught me and so I record my gratitude here). Whether sipping slow or sipping fast, there was no more bite. This was one of the most comfortable smokes I've had.

In an ideal world, this would be available in every drug store in 14 ounce honest-to-gosh tins for five bucks under a brand name like "Hunting Dog" or "Chatauqua." This tobacco is mild, flavorful, and, well, distinguished. But it's also simple and easy to appreciate. The barber shop I use has a cast iron stove and a burlap bag full of peanuts to accompany the conversation; this tobacco fits with that image. Like everyone else, I enjoy being "blown away" by amazing, fantastic flavors and star-spangled smoking experiences. But I don't want that every time I smoke a pipe. Sometimes (most of the time) I want something that's entertaining but happily takes a back seat to whatever else I'm doing, like reading or working on a hobby. For that, this tobacco is perfect.

puddlepirate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puddlepirate (11)

Tried this in a few differant pipes. Could not find the "slightly sweet smoke" described. It did look like wood shavings. Not really impressed.

thehaggis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thehaggis (18)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

You know, this is just an easy fun smoke, if that makes any sense........ It can be a bit of a challenge to pack, as it is a bit confetti-like, but once lit it requires little fiddling and burns nicely. Every bowl has burned clean with virtually no dottle. The taste can be a bit tangy, the tiny bit of latakia lends a different note.....it just works. Frankly I didn't have very high expectations for this blend but have to admit I really enjoy this. It would make a good noob's blend as it takes some effort to get it to bite even a little. It tends to burn a bit quickly, so it works well for a quick smoke......put it in a pug or something similar and you have a superb 15 minute smoke break. It's wierd, it's hard to define and the description sounds like Russ mixed it from leftovers but it just plain works. Don't expect some amazingly complex smoke......just a nice and easy tasty smoke.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am reviewing this based on a bulk sample tightly packed in a canning jar 5 1/2 years ago. I remembered it tasting "green", i.e., harsh and ammoniacal (as many Pease and C&D blends can initially possess). Age has resolved that issue, as it always does.

Two things surprised me about this blend: for all its references in the description and reviews about minor amounts of latakia (confirmed by appearance), I could smell it through the lid seal and could taste it immediately upon lighting. It is present in "condiment levels" and is well balanced (I like latakia and I like mustard, but not so much when either approaches 30%.)

The second is the presence of the discount drugstore standby "cavendish". The mere word has a lisp to it and I irrationally avoid blends that proclaim its presence on the label, fearing tastelessness and bite and cheapness. Well, it may have a diluent function, but there is still an adequate amount of flavor here for my unleathered tongue. Rather nice, and yes, a touch of sweetness. Whether is is natural in the leaf or added doesn't matter to me. There is a slight burley-like taste and smell to it if I seek it- that must be the cavendish.

There is nothing to dislike about this blend unless you seek strong nicotine or profoundly robust mouth-filling taste. I don't smoke every day and it provides what I often seek: a tasty light smoke. It delivers what is advertised: "A mild and slightly sweet smoke with character." I like it.

Lombard65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lombard65 (48)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

There is no doubt that two things are important to enjoy this mixture. 1º Must be dry (as from home) 2º Smoking with small and slow pull.

Then you can enjoy aa good light smoke with notes, sweet and smoked. It is not easy to smoke, but I consider a very good test for those who wish to start or better smoking the pipe.

When smoke this great light mixture without pinches language,I think we can say that, learned to smoke a pipe. More, i consider this mixture just for inside place, car.....

CatskillMountainWriter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CatskillMountainWriter (1)

Upon first setting my eye on this blend, it had appeared that oatmeal with raisins had replaced the 'baccy. The bag smell had a faint hint of oatmeal too. It was very dry and flaky upon opening.

Upon smoking, I could detect the latakia. It was a sweet smoke. Not the best, but by far not the worst. I felt like I detected a faint taste of cinnamon. The room note was pleasant, and the 'baccy was easy to keep lit.

At mid bowl I could really detect the sweetness of the virginias. This is another find blend by Russ, and this will be making my regular rotation.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)

It seems appropriate that I am writing this review on my Linux machine, running Ubuntu 10.04.....

Yeah, funny looking stuff. Flaky, dry, I would agree with the hamster bedding remark. And not much here to whiff, overall appears fairly inert. Putting it in the pipe the first time is an experience. Reminds me of the stuff left at the bottom of my old elementary school desks, bits of paper and pencils shavings. BUT....once in the pipe and lit, this stuff is interesting! For once the description is, IMHO, dead on. "A mild and slightly sweet smoke with character". Latakia is left in the backround but nonetheless present, the virginias seem to pick up the load here and I suspect the slight (key word) sweetness is probably the unflavored Black Cav. Together this is a very nice flavor, very pleasant and a bit subtle. I find I do have to go easy on my pace, a littler quicker and it does tend to heat up but sipped slowly this blend is very rewarding.

As a side note: I've had this bag for over 6 months. When first purchased I thought it was a little bland and the flavors didn't meld. I just reopened the bag, left it dry and it smokes like a dream.

Pipe Den Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Den (2)

This started out with bad tongue bite, and over whelming Perique heat. The dry flakes expand as you light and become moist, expanding in the bowl and making tamping easier. First third of bowl tongue bite and after that none. Second third of bowl sweet and good, Last third of bowl spicy perique. This tasted quite green so I stoved in glove compartment of car for about a week. This seemed to help with the tongue bite and mellowed it out. After this smoked one bowl daily and it was better. Last couple of bowls the sweetness blossomed and that part of the smoke was exquisite.

I found this to be interesting and although I would probably let it age for at least a year it could become a great smoke. 2 stars for now with a lot of hope.

Father-B Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Father-B (3)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Distinguished Penguin?what a name! Maestro Oullette has created a real winner here in this one.

I will admit that when I opened my 4 oz. purchase of this tobacco I too was rather shocked. Having read earlier postings on this site regarding this distinguished blend I knew that it was rather dry and flaky I was still not prepared for what I saw in the pouch. Yes, it looked like flaked fish food. Yes, it looked like cedar chips for hamster bedding. It also seemed WAY too dry. So, I transferred it into a jar and added a pouch humidifier for a few days before smoking it. BIG MISTAKE! Even though it still seemed dry when I put it into my pipe, I soon realized that I was giving my mouth a steam bath. Decided to dry the bird out some and he was much more settled, calm, and indeed distinguished.

The smoking was pleasant, mild, slightly sweetish, slightly smoky-ish from the Latakia. I wouldn?t exactly call it bland, but it wasn?t terribly exciting either. If a smoke can be likened to a conversation, this was a conversation with a person of note who is pleasant, fairly interesting, never boring, and neither talks over your head nor down to you.

Being someone whose humor has been called dry and who has been known to be flaky on occasion, I felt a certain kinship with this fine bird. I may get the occasional ounce or two to keep in touch but I don?t see this as something for my regular smoking.

Having said that, however, I believe that the quality of this blend is quite high and it will appeal to some who like something fairly light, which is neither too bland nor too outrageous, and has just a little bit of our smoky friend Mr. Latakia. It would be a nice bridge for someone making the switch from aromatic Cavendish blends to more unflavored blends.

Just remember, this stuff is supposed to be dry. Don?t humidify it until it gets to the point that it crumbles into dust when you touch it.

Plex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plex (39)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not an aromatic and nothing like any known Capt. Black, unless their new version has Virginia tang and Latakia's smokiness. A very different blend, and I mean different in a good way.

Bone dry when received. flaky as described, larger than fish food more like a cereal flake. As a matter of fact the blend looked like some granola, oat flake with bits of dark dried fruit and kind of smelled the same!

First time I was to ty it I made a mistake and hydrated it with towel over bowel method. Bad idea; leave it as it comes. Packing was like packing springs. Tamp down and it springs back. Tamp again, boing!

When lit it thrashes around, swells and seems to come alive. Tamp then relight then tamp again. Then you get the flavors that lie within. Smokey background hints at the Latakia, but never does it bull through and come to the front of this stage. I sip, I pull hard and each changes the flavors presented. A tingle or spice, sweetness but not a lot of nicotine or tongue bite here.

I like it! I could smoke it all day! It burns almost to nothing and begs for a refill ....

Beware, for this Penguin threatens to addict and bind you! ;-)

CapnStuby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CapnStuby (32)

This is basically Captain Black with much better quality. The first half is a light scent of vanilla and some plum and raisin over a semi-dry, but very pleasant, cool smoke. The second half brings the richness of the Virginias and Latakia to the front.

I wrote a REALLY long review, but my login expired before I hit submit and I lost it...I don't feel like retyping it, so I will just summarize by saying:

1. This is mild, easy to light and keep lit. 2. This DOES have fullness and richness to it in the second half of the bowl. 3. This is good tobacco and very solid. 4. This is light enough to be an all day smoke. 5. You will like this if you are into light aromatics or milder English blends. 6. 3 stars for quality and solidness, but it loses one star for no WOW factor.

This is a solid, wonderful smoke. Thanks to Russ and his yeoman's work on this fine blend!!

Irishlefty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Irishlefty (19)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A friend of mine raved about this tobacco so I had to try it. When I open my package and saw this baggie I thought to myself 'what the hell, they sent me some wood shavings'. When I opened the bag I thought for sure I was right and this was some kind of a joke. The stuff was so dry I was hesitant to light it up inside for fear of starting a fire in the house.

Well, sophistication is not something people associate with me. I either like something or I don't and I can't tell you that I think the smoke flavor of the camel dung mixes superbly with the delicate cow patty - hell I don't know all that intellectual stuff.

This surprised the hell out of me. I like it. A bowl smokes pretty fast, and while there is a tingle of a bite, it isn't a real bite as it disappears after about a third of the bowl. There is sweetness and some kind of different flavor from most tobacco's I've smoked. Like I say, all I know is I like it and will keep it around for at least a bowl or two a week.

smokinj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokinj (19)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Wow has a great taste, for me lacking in the nicotine punch.

Mystic Rune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mystic Rune (35)

After trying a plethora of Scottish Blends/Mixtures/Flakes on the market, I found Nirvana in this Hearth & Home offering by Russ Ouellette. This mixture of Carolina and Virginia flake-cut, stoved Virginia, a light amount of Latakia, and a bit of unflavored toasted Black Cavendish, has a unique cut that looks and feels more like fish food than tobacco. However, it has a wonderful in bag aroma. It comes dry and packing is easy, pretty much a gravity feed into the bowl. Lights easy, burns cool, clean and dry into the fluffiest white ash I've ever seen. The flavor is silky smooth and creamy, smoky and sweet. This is one very fine smoke that is well behaved with lots of character.

fatherDougal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fatherDougal (28)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When I use adjectives to describe this blend, it doesn't sound quite as good as it actually is. The flakes are large and brittle, light lemon mixed with that sprinkling of darker components. It packs well enough and lights easily. But the first scent I get from it is, (wait for it)...burning leaves. I know it is burning leaves, but I mean the kind you kick through in the Autumn. Now, that being said, it is not acrid, tinny or astringent, and smokes more like a mild English. I think it'll grow on me, but I wasn't expecting that reminiscent Fall scent coming out of my pipe. Unique?

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

I'm becoming more surprised each time by the quality of Russ Ouelette's craft. At first I misread the label and called it 'Disgruntled Penguin'. I must've been feeling a bit disgruntled myself that night. After lighting this, though I didn't exactly feel penguinlike or distinguished in any way, but I felt a whole lot better. A fine blend, even if the virginias tend to sting the sides of the tongue a bit. Very much in the style of Cornell and Diehl bulks.

Three of five stars

A very unique tobacco where the Virginias take center stage.The Latakia is a background player in ths ensemble cast. This is best described as an excellent rich tasting blend. Smoky- I think is accurate. The only drawback I found was that it left a very dry feeling in my mouth. It reminded me of Dunhill Cigs.The Virginias are excellent and rich. More Cornell and Diehl than McClelland in nature.It was a very nice change of pace for me ,but will not be a regular player. I've stated in previous reviews Virginias affect me in a weird way. I'm a Burley man through and through. For you English/Virginia lovers though,this is a must try. 3 of 4 stars.

OPCguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCguy (46)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Update: I am uping this to a four star...I have placed two orders of this stuff since the review...I love it!

Ah the Distinguished Penguin and distinguished it is! Upon opening my baggy full of this stuff I noticed it bore a slight resemblance to the tiny wood chip bedding you might use for a pet hamster and upon sifting it I also found it to be a lot like fish flake food. Very interesting first impression, very distinguished.

The penguin, fortunately, bears none of the above qualities while smoking. The bird has a slightly complex smoking pleasure to it and gets better as the bowl burns on. Depending on how you puff this weed the VA and Lat can come out nicely and the Cavy takes the back seat for a background note...like a gentleman.

Combined with the look, feel, and smoke I rather enjoyed a bowl or two of this. I just might keep some of this around...hum.

Elric Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elric (34)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Being a linux enthusiast, I picked up this blend for its name. Although this is kind of like buying cheap wine in a cobalt blue bottle, the tobacco was a pleasant surprise. Vaguely reminiscent of Piccadilly, DP stands on its own and may have a bit more body than that august blend. Although it only purports to contain a light amount of latakia, it possesses a wonderful smokiness that even this lat lightweight can appreciate. Distinguished Penguin is wonderful any time of the day.

Elkabong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elkabong (11)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I don't know if I got a different tobac by accident or not, but I wasn't at all impressed with this. It was my one 'non-English' selection in a sample pack I ordered, and was, being brutally honest here, my great hope in the bunch, simply because of the name.

I definitely had problems with unpleasant aftertaste. This was odd, since I found the blend all but taste-free. I usually smoke English (965 or Early Morning) or Virginia (2010) but have some pipes set aside for burley blends, etc. It was in the latter that I smoked this, and even broke out a new pipe to try it in (Like I said, I really wanted to be able to like this!).

So, I have a half-baggie left of it to give a pal of mine who is renowned for smoking just about everything, and I'm hopeful that he will enjoy it, since I'm always looking for a chance to build up pipesandcigars.com.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable

This is an interesting tobacco because the flavor reveals itself in stages, or I guess some would call it complexity. Upon lighting, a medium Latakia flavor presents itself, a nice creamy smokey flavor that tickles your taste buds. About the time you have settled in to enjoy this sojourn, a sweetness from the Virginias and the Black Cavendish takes center stage, another delightful diversion for your palate. This lasts for a few minutes, then gradually the Latakia note comes back, combining with the flavors of the Va and Cavendish to form a lovely creamy sweetness that lasts for the rest of the bowl. As the other posters have noted, this is an easy packing, lighting, and burning tobacco. The only possible negative is that Pipes and Cigars has had to increase prices on their premium blends in the last couple of weeks due to increases in their own costs. Still, a tobacco this good is a value even at a premium price. Distinguished Penguin is an outstanding blend that all English smokers should try. Scores: flavor-18 out of 20, lighting, packing, and burn-9 of 10, value-8 of 10, total score-35 of 40 and a high recommendation of four stars.

rkzenrage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rkzenrage (17)

Silky smoke on your tongue, velvety in texture... just like that and it stays with you. That & spicy and sweet, kind of like La' Red but more "present". The way I described Red as BBQ, very similar, but not as much a Turmeric flavor, more the Smokey Molasses flavor (not in a cased way at all, but in the way the natural tobaccos present themselves subtly, they bloom on your palette). There is a wonderful ?clean? nature to the smoke and it is the easiest pack and light I have ever experienced, not that it is an issue, just a plus. No maintenance to worry about bite that I have found, though I have found a world of difference when I slow it down and sip this, a whole different complexity from it opens-up. The coolest looking tobacco I have ever seen, like tiny checkerboard squares. Mainly the Penguin is delicious, unique, inexpensive and just an all-around great smoke.

I will bet a dime on a dollar this is very different for each smoker. It does not leave an aftertaste the way many of the more strongly accented regional tobaccos do, but it definitely has a "memory" in the nose that is beautiful and, at least for me, relaxing, thought provoking, and somewhat distracting in the best sense of the word.

I can only imagine how heavenly the room note on this must be & I don't care that it does have Latakia in it. I will write an honest review later, I hope you don't mind this rant; it is just my free-access impression after my first few months? smokes. There is no structure to it other than how I feel about it as someone who lives through their palette. Namaste?

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable