A complex blend of VA's including: Rattrays Black Viginia, Marlin Flake, Dark Fragrant, as well as McCrainie's own Red Ribbon.

Notes: This Blend was the blend of choice for the late Bob Watson- member of the Chicago Pipe Collectors Club and is available for sale at McCrainies.

BrandMcCranie's
ContentsVirginia, Black Cavendish, Perique
Strength
Extremely Mild, Medium
Taste
Medium, Very Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
Ian Weeks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian Weeks (36)
Medium Extremely Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been through quite a bit of this blend in several different pipes before coming to any conclusions.

The contents are a range of VA's: Rattrays Marlin Flake, Rattrays Black Virginia, Rattrays Dark Fragrant, and McCrainies Red Ribbon. (I might have left one or two out- for a complete recipe talk to the blenders.)

McCrainies only sells this blend by the bulk, at the very least you have to buy a pound- which I was fast to learn, after the first bowl, wasn't enough for this pipe smoker:-)

There are some out there that grate fresh nutmeg over this tobacco and mix it throughought the tobacco- the secret ingredient- but I never did this for fear that my pipes would taste like nutmeg.

The tin note (or bag note) of this blend certainly fits the VA profile- why wouldn't it?, it's a straight VA blend all the way across the board.

Nearly all of my pipes are dedicated to VA blends so I was able to smoke Watson's Glen in all shapes and sizes. The smoking experience is as sweet as it is complex with the different Virginias peeking out at times to say hello.

I recommend buying a pound or two and cellaring it in Mason jars for a while. Nothing like a 10 year aged VA blend.

Ronnie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ronnie (2)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I ordered 2# of this at the strong urging of a fellow CPCC member. Because I prefer to age most tobaccos for some time before smoking them, I must admit to not having yet sampled this (I filled in the rating categories only because my "review" would not be accepted without doing so). I do want to point out though that as this product comes from McCranies, it is not 100% finished according to the original recipe. I have been told that you must first add freshly ground Nutmeg. Rather than adding this prior to jarring and laying it down, I have chosen to wait and will sample it with various amounts of Nutmeg until I find the flavor and consistency I most prefer.