A complex blend of VA's including: Rattrays Black Viginia, Marlin Flake, Dark Fragrant, as well as McCrainie's own Red Ribbon.

Notes: This Blend was the blend of choice for the late Bob Watson- member of the Chicago Pipe Collectors Club and is available for sale at McCrainies.

BrandMcCranie's
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
None Detected, Extremely Mild, Medium
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full, Very Full
3.7
Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (165)

Another blend I thought I had reviewed a decade ago, is it possible the system deleted some of my reviews over the years? Anyways Watson's Glen is a very special blend comprised of several top shelf Rattray tins, I was always told that WG was a personal blend of a gentleman that used fresh nutmeg to complete the blend, I have always wanted to try that but the cost of the blend ($90 as of May 2015) keeps me from fatzing around with it and perhaps ruining the blend. It might sound like a lot of money (which it is for me) but when you consider just the price of the tobacco ala carte is over $60 it helps me to justify the cost. A must try even if you have to split a pound with some friends since it is only sold in large amounts. Probably the best Virginia blend I have ever had and after 5 years of aging it gets even more devine, high nicotine amount, awesome room note, sweetness for days and extreme richness like no other. WG is like that $1,000 Filet Mignon burger a Casino here In Las Vegas sells that contains Foi Gras and Truffles with gold flakes, is it a daily meal? no, but just like that burger it sure is great to have a couple Ball jars around for special occasions and hey we only live once! Again get a couple pals together, order a pound and try the most unique natural blend you will ever experience, or for the guy that has brand new Dunhill's and Ardors I can't see not having a couple of pounds of WG as a compliment to those Bentley's of the pipe world! -Maybe one day ill join that club! but until then WG goes in my cobs and estate pipes and I'm ok with that :-)

Age When Smoked: 5+ years and fresh

Purchased From: McCranie's

Ian Weeks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian Weeks (36)
Medium Extremely Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been through quite a bit of this blend in several different pipes before coming to any conclusions.

The contents are a range of VA's: Rattrays Marlin Flake, Rattrays Black Virginia, Rattrays Dark Fragrant, and McCrainies Red Ribbon. (I might have left one or two out- for a complete recipe talk to the blenders.)

McCrainies only sells this blend by the bulk, at the very least you have to buy a pound- which I was fast to learn, after the first bowl, wasn't enough for this pipe smoker:-)

There are some out there that grate fresh nutmeg over this tobacco and mix it throughought the tobacco- the secret ingredient- but I never did this for fear that my pipes would taste like nutmeg.

The tin note (or bag note) of this blend certainly fits the VA profile- why wouldn't it?, it's a straight VA blend all the way across the board.

Nearly all of my pipes are dedicated to VA blends so I was able to smoke Watson's Glen in all shapes and sizes. The smoking experience is as sweet as it is complex with the different Virginias peeking out at times to say hello.

I recommend buying a pound or two and cellaring it in Mason jars for a while. Nothing like a 10 year aged VA blend.

Ronnie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ronnie (2)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I ordered 2# of this at the strong urging of a fellow CPCC member. Because I prefer to age most tobaccos for some time before smoking them, I must admit to not having yet sampled this (I filled in the rating categories only because my "review" would not be accepted without doing so). I do want to point out though that as this product comes from McCranies, it is not 100% finished according to the original recipe. I have been told that you must first add freshly ground Nutmeg. Rather than adding this prior to jarring and laying it down, I have chosen to wait and will sample it with various amounts of Nutmeg until I find the flavor and consistency I most prefer.