A European Cavendish. Soft, packs well. Burns well and has a light aromatic creamy coconut aroma and taste.

BrandKentucky Club
Taste

2.5
beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)

This is an oddly overlooked tobacco, at least based on the number of reviews devoted to it. And most of them seem unfavorable. Frankly, I've never understood the reactions against Kentucky Club Continental Blend, especially given the (almost) complete rehabilitation of simple, inexpensive OTCs like Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh and Carter Hall. I smoke all four of these on occasion and have come to think of them as more or less interchangeable blends. They're all made from cheap Burley, they all pack and burn easily, they're all uncomplicated at the top of the bowl and a little bitter at the bottom. The only difference is in the topnotes. To my mind, the Prince is a little chocolaty, the Carter a touch fruity, the Walter is mocha-ish, and the Continental is lightly choco-coconutty.

In the tin, KCCB appears to be primarily dark Burleys with a little bright and a very little black leaf leaf thrown in. The tin note is mild and a little chameleon-like. Sometimes I smell the advertised coconut, but on other occasions the coconut seems dominated by baked apple or milk chocolate aromas. Many years ago, I had an instructor in hotel school—an old Frenchman. We would taste wine together and when something appeared before our noses that seemed to lack the easily identifiable edges of classic red Bordeaux or white Burgundy, he would shrug his shoulders and say something like, “Eh? It tastes like wine.”

KCCB tastes like Burley. Lightly adorned Burley.

The only problem with this tobacco is that it can be a bit difficult to find, especially in a tobacco shop. A couple risk-taking online dealers stock it. I like it a lot and I think it's well worth investigating.

There are a few honey notes and a touch of grass from the Virginia. The burley offers a small amount of cocoa and nuts. The topping is lightly fruity with a very mild touch of coconut. Burns well, and fairly cool as long as you don't puff like a steam engine. Here and there, I get a little chemical taste, and a hint of syrup. Not a bad blend, but nothing special. Makes a decent work and outdoor play smoke, and drinking a hot beverage while smoking it seems to perk it up some.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (71)

I really dont understand why these blends disappear and production ceases? Perhaps i just assume other pipers are as nostalgic as i am and blends like these will collect dust on store shelves indefinitley. I was really surprised by this one, i didnt think it would be any good whatsoever as ive never seen or heard of anyone around here smoke it. Mostly a ribbon cut burley base, with bright virginia ribbons scattered throughout the tub, the coconut casing is hardly detectable either in the tub or in the pipe. Its similar in flavor to Sugar Barrel, not overly sweet or aromatic. For the price you really cant beat it,

Pipe Used: Capri rustic billiard

Age When Smoked: last of current production

Purchased From: Milan Tobacco

Sunday Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sunday (15)

I definitely enjoy this tobacco, it probably has been discontinued because there are a hundred new exclusive blends concocted by the "in" crowd master blenders to appease modern smokers. Some brands that don't sell enormous amounts OTC get sacrificed and replaced by a catchy titles that are basically the same formula. Don't know what the modern version of this is but I was lucky to find some, nice smoke start to finish.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: just recieved

Purchased From: wvsmokeshop.com

oldredbeard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldredbeard (3)

I've been trying several OTC blends lately. Just received a tub of this today, packed a bowl and was immediately impressed. A very smooth, mild smoke with a nice room note. It smoked to the bottom of the bowl with no relights. Burned to a fine gray ash. Was dry all the way through. I didn't really notice any change through the bowl. Just a pleasant, relaxing, break with plumes of blue smoke. I certainly recommend this to anyone for a try, and am sure it will be in my rotation from now on.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)

A delightful colorful smoke of fine Burley and Virginia tobacco with a soft and very nice aroma. This is quite good!

I received a 10-year old tub of Kentucky Club Continental Blend at a recent local pipe club meeting. I popped the seal and it sure smelled like Carter Hall to me. It also had a refined, somewhat chocolate taste over the first quarter of the bowl, which I also find to be similar to Carter Hall. The smoke itself was much milder though. Additionally, CH never turns bitter near the end of the smoke but this one did at the halfway point.

I will finish the tub as it is easy to smoke and doesn't require much concentration. I don't know wether the aged leaf is why this tobacco did not bite as others here indicate it will. I did not detect any sort of coconut taste, but after returning to my smoking room following a 5-minute or so timeout, I sure smelled coconut in the lingering room note. If this were a little stronger, I might enjoy it more. For those of you who like a light, pleasant Burley, I think you'll find each first half bowl to be what you were looking for.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

A harsh smoking blend in comparison to high end burley tobaccos. Like all of the Middleton burley, this is obviously made from low end scrub burley. This blend is somewhat inexpensive if purchased at JR Cigar. Otherwise, it is way overpriced for what it is. This blend has plenty of humectant and will bite. The flavoring is minimal and the burley has a bitter element to it that stands out over any positive qualities it might have.

If you are wanting a good burley blend, go with Butternut Burley from Habana Premium because this stuff sucks.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I saw this a few weeks ago at a tobacco shop, while on a Sunday drive. Having tried several other Kentucky Club blends I thought I would give this blend a try.

It is a light cavendish, similiar to Flying Dutchman, but without the aftertaste. It lit well and smoked easy, with no noticable tongue bite. I was surprised to find a light, almost floral casing and a woodsy top note. Recommended for those who enjoy Kentucky Club and want a change of pace; and for those who want a good tobacco for a Sunday drive.

drwatson53 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drwatson53 (3)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I am fond of the Middleton family of tobacco's. I smoked a lot of them when I was younger and 35 years later I am still smoking them..I like the honest character of Kentucky Club and thought a Northern European style cavendish blend that Kentucky Club Continental is, was an "must try" proposition.. Continental blend consists of light and sweet dark cavendish leaves. It is what it says is..Mild, packs well,stays lit and gives a nice subdued sweet coconut note. The room note is very nice. My only negatives are that it can dottle a bit in the bottom of the bowl,and does turn just a tad sour in the end. But all in all a very inexpensive and pleasant smoke..Will keep a can of this stuff around as a nice change of pace as I dotter from middle age into old age.. Kentucky Club fans...give it a try...For you Captain Black Royal smokers,a blend which I also like, this is a good change of pace if you want to kick down the sweetness level a couple of notches. Was smoked in an Oom Paul style Italian second pipe, which is one of my favorites..KCC performed pretty well