A basic burley in a small cube cut (diced) for consistent, easy-burning qualities. Mild, bite free, cool-smoking, and light. Has traditional tobacco flavor and character.

BrandJohn Middleton, Inc
Blended ByJohn Middleton
Manufactured ByJohn Middleton, Inc.
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley
CutCube
Packaging2oz Pouch 12 oz tin
Strength
Taste

3.1
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The burleys are nutty sweet with a touch of molasses and hay, and a fair amount of sugar, mostly from the topping. No chemical notes to be found. I know some have had issues with the burn rate and/or bite, but I experienced nothing but a smooth, pleasant, all day sweet smoke with a consistent flavor, no harshness, and no bite. Has little nicotine. Burns at a moderate pace. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and hardly needs any relights. Is an all day smoke. The tobacco is as uncomplicated as my review, and there's a lot to be said for that in this case.

I'm not sure my review would be the same if I had smoked this tobacco from a fresh tub (impossible now), but it is out of production. The tin I had was from the late 1980s and the cube cut leaf was brittle and very dark. The tin aroma brought back those early days of pipe smoking memories for me as did the presentation once lit. Mild, delightful Burley with a little old fashioned something to sweeten it up a bit without ruining the tobacco flavor. Nice smoke, especially for the price!

Pokey Nipple Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pokey Nipple (7)

Of the three burley-based Middleton offerings I have tried, this is my favorite. These three--a triumvirate of excellent, affordable burleys--Kentucky Club Mild, Prince Albert, and Carter Hall are all delicious and well-worth the money and time.

They are all quite similar and have the nutty, earthiness characteristic of burley-based blends. They differ in nuances only, PA being caramel-ly with the nuttiness emphasized, while CH is creamier with hints of fruit (fig/raisin).

Kentucky Club Mild is harder for me to describe and is clearly a touch more complex or interesting than PA or CH in my opinion. It has a delicate floral quality or hay-like-ness that weaves in and out of the basic nuttiness. These tastes work amazingly together.

The 'Mild' in the title has more to do with the way it is blended or flavored than tobacco strength, I feel. I'm sure a primary, "foundational" blend is used for all three.

Kentucky Club is yummy, yummy stuff and great as an all-day pipe. Two enthusiastic thumbs up, as Siskel and Ebert used to say so many years ago.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Just finished up the better part of a 14 oz tub. Tub aroma is plain old burley. The floral casing that others have described was so faint that I'm not sure it was there at all in my tub. Taste was basic burley nuttiness with a slight hint of sweet hay. It was slight and it was fleeting. 99.5% of the flavor I got was straight, honest burley.

I find this to be one of the, if not THE, best American OTC blends currently available. It started off with a whiff of that weird soapy character I get when I first fire up a straight burley blend and very quickly calmed down into the ever-popular burley descriptor of nutty. What elevated this one ahead of a lot of other basic OTC's is that this never got bitter down the bowl. It got a bit hotter but not too hot. No tongue bite overall but I did get a hint of sizzle at the match that lasted a minute or so.

The only issue I have with this one is that it's price is no longer as reasonable as it used to be. One can get a pound (16 oz) of C&D's Burley Straight at a cheaper price per oz than a 14 oz tub of this. I prefer the C&D, but only slightly, with regard to taste but the new cost of a tub of this makes the C&D even more attractive. I do recommend this to lovers of straight burley but I have to give the overall nod to the C&D version.

Skoma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skoma (27)
Mild Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A friend of mine brought me a pack of this from a visit to the U.S.1 Surpisingly there are no pure burley blends available in the country I live and that´s a pitty for sure! Dark brown cube cup. Easy to fill in any pipe though I would prefer small headed ones. Easy to smoke and handle in all conditions, never bites no matter how you treat it. The taste is allways mild with lots of sweetness and the aroma of chocolate, cocoa and maybe a little caffee. The perfect all time and everyday smoke! Great! Highly recomended!

Dr. G Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. G (15)

Great old-school burley. Cool burning unless you hammer the pipe relentlessly. Brief soapy feel at the charring light which quickly dissipated into a comfortable, no-frills, dependable, predictable burley. Sours slightly for the last quarter of the bowl (which I really don't mind in the least) which could almost be construed as increasing complexity if it wasn't so darn burleyish. Dry, white ash is all that remains. There are better straight burleys out there, but this one commits no damnable sins.

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie Supergrain 50B Briar

Age When Smoked: 1 year old tub freshly opened

Henry Mars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Henry Mars (21)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a basic burly ..medium brown in color. Not much of anything in the way of flavor. Slightly nutty and slightly sweet... perhaps a very light sugar casing which is well in the background. It can bite like a rabid dog if not smoked slowly.

All in all not too bad if you have experience with this sort of tobacco. I don't recommend it for beginners.

Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed. PA or CH will blow this away, but you can't argue with the KCM price.

I won't be buying it again.

UPDATE: 12/15/11

I added some moisture to KCM and it opened up a little .... enough that I am adding another star. It still bites a little but there is more flavor .... simple flavor. It still tastes like some kind of mild sugar topping. If you have the discipline to smoke it slowly it isn't bad. I still won't buy it again but if you fancy this type of smoke you will like it especially since it is cheap to buy.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

KC Mild … Another old timer that is still quite popular. KCM has its own unique character, similar in strength to Sir Walter Raleigh, only this blend does not seem to have any noticeable added topping, more a straight tobacco taste and aroma.

Medium brown in color, mild with no bite or bitterness, very pleasant from light-up to bowl bottom. IMO one of the better, so called straight Burley's available. Nothing fancy here, just good old fashion burley pipe tobacco, tasty and simple. The only negative trait I found was its tendency to burn a bit fast/hot. So I found that a heavier tamp than normal for this cut, helpful. Overall I feel very confident in recommending KCM to those that find happiness in cob pipes and basic American tobacco's. For them, 3 plus stars.

This is one of Middleton's best blends, along with Carter Hall, and Walnut. A good simple burley. Great in a cob. A good value for the money. Sadly, unavailable to me unless I order online. If you love burley, try a pouch!

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (63)

First off I'll say I'm biased toward this tobacco as it is what my grandpa used to smoke. That being said , KCm is a great all day weed that always satisfies and never interferes. Smells like an old time burley in the can, packs and light flawlessly, and has that old time tobacco thing going for it all the way until the end. I wish the vitamin N content was a bit more, there just isn't quite enough N in a cob full to satisfy but a second cob quickly brings nirvana. On it's own merits this is a three star blend for me but add nostalgia and I bump it up four. I still prefer Prince Albert to KCm in the pipe but for remembering old times and working/walking grandpas old farm, its Kentucky Club Mild.

Pipe Used: grandpas old grabow royal duke

Age When Smoked: ??????? years

Wallenberg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wallenberg (10)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

It is a rare occasion to receive such a gift in Austria. A friend brought it home from the United States.

Tin note is very spicy and a bit sweet, there is some cinnamon and cocoa quality to it.

The ribbon cut is quite easy to pack, lights and burns fine.

I'm overwhelmed. No Burley-based blends I know of are available in Austria, and this was a fascinating sidestep from English, Latakia, Virginia and other blends. What constitutes the tin note for me finds itself back in the smoke; tiptoeing from peppery spiciness to sweetness ever so often it is a pleasurable smoke from the beginning to the end of the bowl. It may be uniform or one-dimensional, but as it's a rare gem to find where I live, it can't get old quite so easily.

The room note definitely has something of incense and tea.

Lady Nicotine seems to have turned away from this blend, it's not strong at all, but who am I to judge, being a regular cigarette smoker!

All in all, I could easily give this blend four stars - but excellency does not come from nothing, and so I deducted a star for the lack of depth and variation in the taste.

Pipe Used: Strambach Meerschaum Bent Apple, Briar

Age When Smoked: fresh out of the pouch

Purchased From: brought by a friend from the US

Similar Blends: I do not know any other White Burley blend yet..

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)

I really enjoy this blend. It's been hot this summer in Kansas, and Kentucky Club Mild has been a wonderful hot-weather blend. Like the description says, it's mild, bite free, cool-smoking, and light. Very easy to enjoy. I'm almost halfway through my 14 oz. canister, and when that's gone, I'll buy another. KCM has a slight floral taste that I really enjoy, which keeps the taste interesting, and seems appropriate for the hot weather. Three stars for this honest, simple OTC burley, and another star for the low price.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I liked this blend!Its a good honest to goodness burley at a great price.It didnt bite me and the aroma was lovely in pouch and room. It packed well,lit well and smoked just fine.Id buy it again.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (99)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

TobaccoReviews.com lists three blends: Kentucky Club, Kentucky Club Mild, and Kentucky Club Mixture Aromatic. This is a review of the Kentucky Club with the word ?Mild? printed above the name; in the canister with the blue and white label. Whatever the source of the confusion, I will add to it a little by asserting that this ?Mild? Kentucky Club should, in my opinion, also be classified an aromatic, or at least a flavored, topped, or scented blend.

I definitely detect a mild floral, incense-like scent of lilac or lavender. (Some reviewers suggested apple, or even ?funeral parlor scent?. That could be.) Further, it has a saccharine taste, suggesting the presence of P.G. which, I read, tastes sweet in an artificial way.

These odors and tastes dissipate after about the first third of the bowl, and the blend settles down to become a pretty good codger burley; and taste-wise, a bit more interesting (though not better) than its cousin, Prince Albert. Amazingly, the pipe bowl does not carry an enduring crossover aftertaste upon switching blends. For me, I think it was two bowls ? max, and the ?memory? of KC was totally gone. (Heck, I can hardly taste any artifact after the first third of a bowl of KC, much less subsequent bowls of a different tobacco.) Since ?Mild? Kentucky Club burns cleanly and dryly to the bottom of the bowl without goop or dottle, it?s possible that a more natural substance is used: perhaps oil of lavender, rather than some arcane, polysyllabic chemical concoction. For this codger Burley:

3 stars if you smoke aromatics (this one is very light but tasty)

2 stars if you can get past the first third of the smoke ? the aromatic part

1 star if you would rather not fool around with even slightly aromatic blends.

If you?re tempted to try Kentucky Club solely because it?s in the Burley family and you need a change of pace, but you wish to avoid aromatics, try 101: Morley's Best (w/Latakia) by C&D; 401 Burley (w/natural Cavendish) by Milan; or my guilty pleasure, Prince Albert.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (52)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I cracked open the 14oz bucket of this I had for quite some time. Inside I found pretty much exactly what the tin description says. All brown cube cut burley..I didn't notice any topping..just nice plain burley smell.

Using the tried & true gravity fill that these blends/cuts seem to favor, I set flame to the tobacco and begin the journey. What I discovered was an easy going, very mild (too mild) smoke. This is just plain burley with no detectable topping by my taster.

Smoked clean, cool, dry all the way to the bottom. I didn't get the bitter finish at all. This one just doesn't have anything to keep me interested however..don't look for any flavor explosions here. Just plain burley. I can see this being used as a blender to perhaps tone down some bitey VA's or I would imagine it would be very useful for breaking in new pipes. And thats about all I see myself doing with the remaining amount I have.

All in all I can't see this one offending anyone, and at about a buck an ounce its worth a shot to try. 2 stars here for me for lack of flavor but 3 stars for cost, burning characteristics, cool smoking..

Not bad..but nothing to write home about.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

On a whim, I purchased a pouch of KCM at an independent backwoods Wisconsin supermarket. Yes, it is a drug store blend but it has survived for decades as have a handful of other drug store blends. This has to say something about their quality and/or popularity. This is a simple burley that was introduced in simpler times. It is straight forward, mild and moderately sweet. The thing I noticed most with this blend is the very distinct and very pronounced ?grassiness? that I have not experienced with other burleys. This may have something to do with the mild topping or casing. The grassiness does dissipate and become less pronounced as you progress down the bowl. I think this grassy/hay characteristic will be what either makes or breaks this blend for you. I experienced no bite. This fine cube cut burley burns cool and to a dry ash. This is not an outstanding blend. It is a simple, down-to-earth, old-fashioned burley blend. Take a ride back in time with KCM when you have the opportunity to buy a pouch.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 8.0 out of 10.