Latakia, cubed Burley, Perique, toasted brown Cavendish with a light fruit flavor.

Blended ByCraig Tarler
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Latakia, Perique
FlavoringFruit / Citrus
Strength
Taste
Mild, Medium
2.0
LungDoc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LungDoc (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This tin opens to a very odd fertilized smell.... The tobacco appears to be very good quality, and was perfectly dried. It burns cool into ash. It is a blend of excellent tobacco ruined by whatever process it's been through. I'll finish the tin, but I'll use it outside. Smoked it in a Grabow, thankfully. It'll get a good soaking in 151 rum after....

Pipe Used: Grabow

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I was given a tin of this a few years ago. This blend is terrible. There has to be fruit flavored kool aid poured into this. The taste will haunt your pipe. To get the taste out of your pipe will have to do a major overhaul cleaning.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a strange tobacco. I purchased it from local B&M out of anxiety awaiting my first order from C&D. This happened to be the only blend my local store stocked from C&D. I had repeatedly passed it over based upon these reviews. I first smoked it out of a cob being that the briar in my truck was pluged up at the time.

I really enjoyed it as it was prabably the first quality leaf I had yet to smoke and, based upon this bowl, it spent about day as my favorite as my order came in and eclipsed Brigadier.

After this first bowl, it got progressively worse for me at times tasting medicinal and just downright terrible. I finally discovered that it was the pipe. This just did not taste good in my briars. I had forgotten that first smoke was in a cob. Only after smoking it in a cob again did I recapture that earler love I had for this blend.

I have read about this with blends on here, but this is my first time actually experiencing it on my own. So my review probably at a 2.5 as I would not recommend it in a briar, but would in a cob. The quality of the leaf and cut round it up to 3 stars for me. I did find it a little fruity, but not overwhelmingly so. I would much rather go to something like this than some full-on drugstore aromatic to satisfy my yearnings for sweetness.

The store has two more tins that don't seem to be going anywhere. I will likely buy more.

This won't be a long review; this one just ain't my thing. You can just look at it and tell it's quality leaf, with a nice mixture of black and different browns, but I just don't like cherry. I got my aged tin on Ebay, one of those old metal things that didn't seal too well, and someone had wrapped electrical tape around it. I got it because I got it cheap, and was curious. Tobacco was dry, but not compromised. I'm sure some of the cherry has faded, and that at least is good, because I guess I don't like it! The only cherry tin I have finished was the old Ashton Original Oldchurch, and it took me a while. (At least I thought I remembered getting cherry on top of vanilla from that one, but could be wrong. The other reviewers didn't point out cherry!) This is similar: it's not bad quality, just a flavor that doesn't treat me too well. If you are a cherry smoker, go for it! I'm sure it's better than the drugstore cherrys.

Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I think this is an excellent choice for aromatic smokers who also want a little "nic" hit with their smoke. The combination of Latakia and Perique with sweetened cavendish somehow works with this unusual blend and the Burley gives it some punch.

skippy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
skippy (8)
Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

nice dark broken flake the humidity allowed it to be smoked immediately after unsealing the smell of black cherry is most notable as if the lack of any taste of perique about mid bowl i discovered something i had only read about in other reviews and now i am able to say with clarity this must be what dish soap tastes like i plan on trying another bowl today to confirm my impressions and if the result is the same i will commit Brigadier to a burial at sea

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)
Medium Very Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Cornell&Diehl is a fantastic blender, but sometimes he becomes crazy. And happens with this blend. For me is junk. Too much flavored, too much sweet. Bleah ! ---------------------------------------------- Sembra di fumare marmellata.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

When I opened the tin I smelled cherries, having not expected a cherry tobacco I was surprised. Once lit it tastes of black cherry and Black Cavendish, I tasted none of the Perique other reviewers have tasted at all. This blend consists mostly of Black Cavendish and Burley with a black cherry topping, it is a very good representative of the aromatics based on good tobacco lot of blends.

swaviator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
swaviator (3)
Medium Medium Very Full Pleasant

While not admitting to "mainlining" Latakia, I do understand those who do so. My all time favorited blend was John Cotton's Smyrna...sadly I have to say "was", for it is no longer being produced. Trying to find a good replacement has been a long road back to pipe nirvana. Today my mainstays are Charring Cross and Squardon leader.

No matter how good a tobacco may be after a while the palate becomes so acclimated that the charateristics that brings one to a particular blend can no longer be enjoyed. My cure is two-fold. Sometimes I'll go for several days with out smoking a pipe,the second is to smoke something totally different. Now you purist are going to going to think that I have no taste at all, but I find that a day or two of smoking Prince Albert is a curative for my worn tongue. It smokes cool has no bite with a rather nice nutty burley taste, giving rest to my tired palate. With that said, I do continue to search for another good alternative.

Recently I stopped in my favorite tobacco shop...(cigar store these days), with the mind to find something new and different. I was looking at the C&D offerings when I took note of a tin of Brigadire. After I made the purchase I opened the tin and was greeted by an inticing sense of Latakia/Perique/Virgina/Burley all with an interesting fruity aroma. The moisture content was just right as was the cut, which is mostly cubed. Upon lighting, I thought that I had made a mistake. My immediate impression was that I gotten one of the #%#@%^&*! aeromatics, but I decided to give it an honest try.

After my fourth-tin, I find that it has crept into my regular rotation. I find it to be perfect as a first pipe of the day, along with a good cup of dark roast coffe. The tobacco smokes cool. It seems to be best in medium size pipe. It doesn't bite me at all. It smokes clean with out a lot of residue, leaving nothing but light grey ash in the bottom of the bowl.

If you want a good switch-off tobacco, give it a fair try. But be careful...you might find yourself craving another bowl of Brigadire.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is cubed Burley,a little bit of Latakia, flavored cavendish,and Perique. The cut and complexity of this blend reminds me a lot of The House of Windsor brand,"Bourbon Street". The flavoring is good but strange. I found it a little acrid. I think the flavor of fruit,(cherry/strawberry? ...fruit) is over used here. This tobacco is refreshing and sweet, but not too far in that direction because the Latakia gives it back a little smokey heft,and the Burley makes it all well rounded. The room aroma is like an opium den,almost like a fruit incense. This burns well, packs itself,and reminds me of a burning circus tent.

bobcat13 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bobcat13 (8)
Strong Very Strong Full Strong

This is a cross-over blend, combining a flavoring with Latakia. The main component is cubed burley, with Latakia, toasted brown Cavendish, and Perique. The flavoring is a very fruity one that could probably work its way into your pipe after a while. The tin aroma smells a lot like fruit punch crystals. With the burley base being supplemented by the Perique, it’s a very strong smoke in terms of nicotine (at least for me). The taste is strong as well—the combination of flavors makes for jarring contrasts at times, with the fruit flavoring fighting it out with the smokiness of the Latakia and pepperiness of the Perique. The burley base can contribute some sour, ashy notes if smoked too fast. The room aroma is very unusual, again a combination of Latakia with that funky fruit overtone; it wasn’t really appreciated by my wife. It’s unusual enough for me to want to try it again, but I can’t see it becoming a staple.