A mixture of bright Carolina, red and stoved Virginias, a dash of Turkish and two types of Latakia, this represents a fresh approach to the lighter English blend. Smooth and fresh, this can be a great morning smoke, or for any time of day

BrandHearth & Home
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
2.7
bob-bennett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob-bennett (3)

I'm new to TOBACCOREVIEWS.COM and this is my first review. After many "fallow" years, I've been enjoying an almost-daily return to pipe smoking. (I'm a singer- songwriter by trade, so I have to abstain sometimes to protect the gig!) I'm having almost as much fun climbing the learning-curve about pipes-and-tobaccos as I am the actual smoking! A very pleasant part of this early reacquaintance with all this is few very cordial email exchanges with Victorian Stroll's blender: Russ Ouellette. He recommended VS for a friend who seemed to be having some allergy problems that would only crop up with latakia ... no problems with cigars at all. With Russ's kind assistance, we sorted it all out and my friend is, again, enjoying his pipe. I was enough of a newbie that I didn't quite know about Syrian/Cyprian, etc. (The tin notes two types of latakia within.) Anyway, Victorian Stroll has grown on me a great deal ... my most enjoyable time with it has been the occasional coffee-and-pipe for breakfast. As others have noted, this would be a stellar choice for the aromatic smoker looking to dip a toe into the "English"/latakia pool. In future reviews I'll try to stick to the actual reviewing and I expect I'll get better at this as time goes on. But I wanted my inaugural review to note that this fine tobacco seems to be blended by a fine fellow. And I think that sort of thing still counts and enhances the whole experience. A little like a tableside chat with the chef who prepared your great meal.

I think that Victorian Stroll falls victim to Russ's blending success. He makes so many blends so well that the bar may be unfairly high due to the inevitable comparisons to his other blends. The cut of VS is very thin ribbon and arrives at the perfect moisture content for me. It has all the right components to make a great, light English blend, but it just is lacking. The flavor is on the flat side and (agree with “rramstd”) the component tobaccos seem to stand apart rather than join harmoniously together. Is this a bad blend? No, it isn't. But in comparison to H&H's other English blends, there are much better choices. The H&H blend “Daybreak” is IMHO a better choice in the light to medium English category.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I find this blend bites and is harsh. It is not well balanced. Each element seems individual, there is no harmony, and they don't play well together. I think the VA is very bright and poorly cured. I like many H&H blends, but not this one.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (59)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

This one is hard to review for me because in paper it's everything that i look for in a english blend, it just does not gel together the virginias are always in the front the turkish has a nice spice to it that some may confuse with tongue bite or perique the latakias are very bland thought; overall this is not a bad blend as a introduction to english to a aromatic smoker or as a morning blend to a dedicated english smoker on a budget it just a boring stroll for me.

I think I've tried every blend Russ and Scotty have offered and have not found one to dislike except maybe 'Sunza Bitches' (sorry Frenchy). Victorian Stroll...sure can't dislike it. It's a pleasant, light, somewhat tasty, medium English. It will serve you well but won't create any passion. I'd add to kylepoet's review below...kinda like kissing your sister. Take a step beyond and ignite some 'Larry's Blend'. It's the real deal!

bronxbill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bronxbill (10)

I've smoked about 4oz of this blend in several different shaped pipes and found it to be excellent in all. The initial light gives a strong hint of latikia, but as the bowl progresses the other tobaccos blend in. The VA and the turkish is noticed most from about mid bowl to the end. From this point on, the Latikia is truly a good condiment to the flavor. The only problem I have had with this blend is an inability to finish the last part of the bowl. No matter what pipe brand or shape, I always have a small amount of unburned dottle left. It is not overly moist, I just can't seem to get it to burn. Other than that, this is an excellent all day smoke IMHO. I will definitely keep this on hand

kylepoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kylepoet (18)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Victorian Stroll is just what it says it is; it's a a light English blend. It's delightful and innocent, like holding hands with your first high school girlfriend. There's nothing bold or pretentious about this smoke. It lights well, has a wonderful crunch to the tamp, and finishes with a kiss (on the cheek, to be sure).

I've smoked this tobacco in briars and meerschaums, and the experience has been the same. It gives a cool, dry, pleasant pipe that leaves you with a desire for just a little more, not unlike having a girlfriend at 15.

I've enjoyed Victorian Stroll with New Belgium 1554 Black ale, Shiner Koelsch, and morning coffe. It goes well with all three.

Try this, if you want a good introduction to English mixtures, or if your palate has become jaded from heavier blends. It's an all-day smoke, in my opinion.

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)

Quirky medium English blend with a very fitting name---flavors coming and going like new terrain appearing over the horizon on a brisk walk. A little rough around the edges at times, but this comes and goes; definitely something new and unique here and well worth a try.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (74)

This is a pleasant blend that has a great interplay between VAs and Latakia. It's not too overbearing nor does it trash the palatte. I dig it.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Mostly reddish color ribbon cut, with some traces of not quite rubbed out flake. Some darker and lighter colors evident. Ribbons are varied length, neither too long nor too short.

Aroma: Definitely an English blend. Mostly Virginia with small amounts of Oriental and Latakia (Cyprian)

Packing: Packs easily into any size bowl.

Lighting: When aired out a bit, lights easily for me. Otherwise, just a little slow to get going. Since I like my tobacco drier than some, it may be just right for others.

Initial flavor: Just as promised by the aroma, this is a classic ?lighter? English blend. Not a ?mild? blend by any means, there is considerable depth of flavor contributed by the Virginias. A medium bodied smoke with moderate condimental leaf.

Mid-bowl: Nice interplay between the Virginia sweetness and the slightly smoky and spicy additions.

Finish: Like many bulk tobaccos, there seems to be some PG present. As a result, I have to relight several times at the bottom. Otherwise, the flavor holds well all the way down.

Summary: A very pleasant English blend, possibly an all-day smoker for many. For me, not enough Oriental leaf to become my favorite.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My sample of Victorian Stroll arrived in a fairly fine cut with a melange of yellows, various shades of brown, and black. The musty pouch aroma comes mainly from the Latakia and Turkish. V/S packs and lights easily, with minimal relights needed during the smoke. It requires only an occasional tamping to keep going. The initial flavor comes from the Turkish, with the Latakia backing it up. It's a creamy, smokey treat that I never tire of. It's like starting a meal with a superb hors doeuvre, preparing one for the main course to come. The latakia gradually moves to the front, with the Turkish now being the back up chorus. This is not a full Balkan like Larry's Blend or even Ten To Midnight. It's a lighter, more all day type smoke. Midway through, the Virginias start to poke their heads out and contribute their tart sweetness to the mix. It all comes together in a melding of superb flavors that lasts to the bottom of the bowl. Russ Ouellette has been getting a lot of attention on the pipe discussion boards lately, and it's all deserved. Victorian Stroll is another feather in his cap.

Scoring for Victorian Stroll: taste- 18 out of 20; lighting and burn- 8 of 10; value- 9 out of 10. That totals to 35 of 40 possible points and a solid ** for Victorian Stroll.

Reminds me of S.G.'s Squadron Leader which is one of my all-round favorite blends that use Latakia. A quality product that smokes nicely once lit. No bitterness detected. Good for those who prefer a complex blend that goes a little easier on the Latakia.