Return of original Richmond recipe, full flavored and nutty

BrandWessex
Taste

3.1
TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Wessex Burley Slice… Beautiful thin flakes what are easy to fold and stuff into any of my pipe sizes, with a delicious aroma of yeasty bread dough and tobacco, I love Burly; and I have always prefer my tobacco in either full or broken flake, so for me this is an ideal tobacco, I am really enjoying these flakes.

Maybe a bit too mild for the fans of tobacco's like c/d burley flake series, but still in many of the important ways WBS has what IMO most burley lovers would be looking for. Nice nut-like burley flavors, mild, no harshness and bite free. Highly recommended to anybody that favors a good burley smoke.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

The flake is lightly moist out of the tin and breaks apart very easily, though it does require a few relights. Not very complex - and it doesn't have to be - it has a light molasses and cocoa flavor with a fair amount of nuttiness, and slight earthy note. Some detect a cigarette taste though I did not when I smoked it. No harshness or bite at all. A really good morning smoke with coffee, although I found myself reaching for it later in the day, too. It may not quite be Edgeworth Slices, but it's a pretty decent substitute until somebody wakes up and brings ES back. Well worth the money and time to smoke for anyone who likes really good burley.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (67)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Very thin dark brown slices with specks of light tobacco. Moisture content is ideal straight from the tin and it rubs out easily.

Tin note is malty or molasses like, with some very light cocoa and pepper. None of these notes translate to the actual smoking.

Takes a light well and burns without further attention.

This really is a bland tobacco. At times I felt like I was inhaling warm air. I found myself chasing exhaled smoke to get a sense of flavour. I'm not going to say this is cigarette like; firstly because I come from a place where cigarettes are Virginia, and secondly because most cigarettes have more flavour than this offering. The upside is there is nothing objectionable to the tobacco itself. It is not hot or bitter.

Cavicchi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cavicchi (5)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Wow. I had the opportunity to try a 40 plus year old can of Edgeworth at my local pipe club, and instantly fell in love. Not able to afford what such tins command in price on a regular basis, somebody suggested that I try Burley Slices. And boy am I ever glad I did. I smoke a lot of Prince Albert as a regular go to, but given a chance, would make this my regular, daily smoke.

Upon opening the tin, I was welcomed with an honest, clean, rich tobacco note that left me quite tempted to eat a slice! This lights relatively well, stays lit, and is very consistent in taste from top to bottom - something which I don't find in very many of the different blends I've tried. It has never bit my tongue or disappointed in any way, and tastes just about the same in each of my pipes, although my Cavicchi Lovat really makes it shine. It is a fairly strong tobacco, and even being a cigarette smoker to boot, I usually get a mild buzz off of a bowl full (which I like). It would be very easy for me to smoke this constantly all day long if my budget were not a deciding factor. My only wish would be to find it considerably cheaper, and perhaps in a bigger tin than in a 50 gram.

I did not like this one quite as well as Solani ABF, but it was definitely in the same ballpark and definitely earned 4 stars. My only complaint - and it is picking nits - is that I got a light soapy taste with the charring light. This went away once I started the second light.

The taste of this one is less sweet than ABF, although I wouldn't classify that one as particularly sweet, either. This one seemed more of a natural heavy bodied burley (I do need to smoke them back to back, and since I haven't, I'll dispense with the comparisons from here on) with a nice, leathery flavor. Very natural tasting. This would be a great blend for cigarette smokers looking to switch to pipes. Also good for those looking to upgrade from "drugstore" burleys.

Note: This one dried out quickly in the tin. I found it best to put the tin in a ziplock to keep it from becoming tinder. It worked best with a 15 minute drying period initially and once it dried a bit in the tin, I could fire it up immediately. This one is well worth trying for burley fans.

Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Burley Slice is an excellent all Burley smoke. Don't look for complexity with this type of tobacco; all you can taste is the sweet nuttiness and a slight chocolate note.

These notes progressively tone down to be replaced by a straight tobacco taste and an increase in strength (read nicotine hit). Having had the opportunity to try Solani Aged Burley Flake, I must admit that I prefer Wessex's offering because the bitterness is way less frequent with the latter. it will only be slightly bitter towards the end of the bowl, as where ABF would be bitter everytime I relighted.

If you enjoy Burley, this is a must for you, gents.

~3/4"x3"x1/16' flakes are ideal for packing without rubout and light easily. Smoked cool and without bite but I prefer Solani if I'm going with a straight Burley flake.

drs57 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drs57 (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Generous sized flake. Wonderful burley taste and aroma. Rich, not complicated. Dried it out for a day and it was still somewhat moist. Burned well with 3-4 re lights. Interested to see if and how taste evolves in the now-open tin. Recommended for burley and Vitamin N lovers.

Pipe Used: Poul Winslow Crown Viking

Purchased From: 4noggins

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This flake was vapid...insipid. I wasted good money on this crappola. This is just as bad as the re-engineered university flake. Weak, emasculated to say the least. No strength, no depth..nuthin'!!

Smoke in peace.

robsm2013 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robsm2013 (6)

great quality flake - I just found that the sour undertone ruined it for me .....I prefer Solani Aged Burley Flake, my all time favorite Burley!

Clive Moses Apikouris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clive Moses Apikouris (30)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening the tin which makes a quality presentation, one encounters a wonderful dried fruit like aroma. Mmmm good enough to eat. The flakes are composed of a variety of brown shades and are very sticky, thick and don't rub out with ease. It takes a bit of effort to get it going but once lit the rubbed out flakes burn smoothly, cool and without any tongue bite. So far, so good, but then the flavor is quite a let down. The texture of the smoke is wonderful, smooth, silky and full bodied. however without much of a flavor. At first there is a bit of bitterness that can be characteristic of some Burleys, but that dissipates quickly. You are left with an not unpleasant but flat almost watery taste that is quite unremarkable. Perhaps it is the lack of any flavorings being added. I smoke a number of Burley tobaccos, pipesandcigars.com's Classic Burley Kake being my current favorite and this stuff doesn't have anything to offer that would displace any of my favorites. It's flavor and smoking qualities are mild and unobtrusive though, again without a hint of tongue bite but however it does possess a very generous helping of vitamim "N" for those who enjoy that sort of sensation (too much for me though this stuff can be headache inducing). I've only had a couple of goes at it with this tobacco (I'm puffing away on it as I write this) so perhaps it will grow on me but for now only two stars. Another drawback is the price as it is considerably more expensive then some far superior Burleys I regularly enjoy. I will try blending it another time with a Virginia based aromatic that lacks Burley and see how that works out. Somewhat recommended.

Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

If you like straightforward dark burley, this could be the flake for you. If straight burley doesn't do it for you, avoid.

Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mac (19)

I haven't tried Solani Aged Burley Flake as yet.But if it comes in COOEE of this one it must be one of Gods favourites.Wessex Burley Flake really is a must for all lovers of Burley.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)

Rich, flavorful uncomplicated Burley. This is what Huck Finn would have smoked.

Mesh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mesh (21)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable

Having sampled 20 or so blends this year, this one has definitely stood out from the crowd. I concur with Sir Claude's taste notes below, though I would put this blend in the medium-strong nicotine range.

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (46)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I smoked some of this blend right out of the tin a few months ago and found it to be an ok burley, pleasantly sweet to me as, yes, I like bright virginias. But a bit rough at the edges. Good relaxing smoke, yet... Meh. After a few weeks in tightly closed mason jar, however, voila!

No casing other than a sweetness that melds perfectly with the solid burley and which I found ravishing but not cloying. Smooth (and I mean smooooth), clean smoking experience with mouth-filling flavor and, as we frequently say, no hint of bite. I'm sensitive to high nicotine blends, so for manageable nic and for flavor I would have to give WBS the edge, albeit slight, over Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, which I also like and also have. I prefer to smoke WBS in my full bent grade 5 Hungarian shape. It's a great morning smoke with a mug of coffee.

ark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ark (9)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

God, this stuff is great. that being said, i really believe that you need to find the right pipe for it. i experimented with 4 or 5 different pipes of various shapes and sizes, and none of them really clicked. Finally i stuffed some in a Dr. Grabow of all things, and it hit me. Burns cool enough, no real problems keeping it lit. the flavor is outstanding, earthy and nutty and subtle. I didn't really like the way it was packaged, in a layered "bacon" style way, but that certainly won't ruin my opinion of this blend. If the much talked about Edgeworth Sliced was anything like this, i can see why it's so sorely missed

matty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
matty (21)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Please do not let the name Burley turn you off. I am a lover of Virginia tobacco. When I think of Burley with no other tobaccos blended with it, I think of tongue bite and heat, but this slice is bite free and cooler than a Colorado rain. The taste to me is extremely hard to define, unlike the usual sweet, woodsy, leathery or peppery taste it's more like a nutty tobacco taste. The word waxy comes to mind for some reason. Extremely satisfying to this VA lover. I will stock up heavily on this blend so it can be true to me for years to come.

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (32)

If you like edgeworth sliced this is for you, Over the last year i had been searching for more edgeworth sliced. I hope wessex keeps this in stock. To me this is as close as it gets to getting edgeworth sliced I love it enjoy

Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

ORIGINAL REVIEW: In my search for a replacement to Edgeworth Sliced, I'd have to say Wessex Burley Slice is in the same league. I still have some Edgeworth Sliced from 20 years ago - enough for several bowls - so I can compare the two with more accuracy.

The tin aroma of Burley Slice is that of good Burley with what smells like a bit of molasses and perhaps some licorice added as a top note. The slices are similar in appearance to Edgeworth Sliced (but darker in appearance) and very fresh. They part folded part broke apart nicely as I like to prepare my slices for smoking in the form of broken flakes. For as fresh as it was, it took to the match readily and required little in the way of relights, gently tamping as I went. It smokes just as easily with the traditional fold and stuff flake method, so the choice is yours. The overall flavor for me was a stout, but sweet, Burley, nutty, spicy and delicious! A top notch, full tasting Burley. There was a hint of something soapy (very,very mild - I actually hate to use the word but can't find one to better describe it) which disappeared after the first several puffs and was not present with subsequent smokes (only experienced with the first of 4 tins out of 20 so far). By the way, that mild soapy taste was also present in the ORIGINAL ES produced by Larus. I have added molasses to some of my tobacco blends in the past and am familiar with its semi-sweet taste. I believe I taste a subtle presence of molasses (and licorice) here and this adds to the overall smoking enjoyment for me. The nicotine kick is evident and a tad less than with Edgeworth Sliced. It smoked cool and dry and maintained its character without producing any of the Burley bitterness characteristic of some Burleys. No typical end of the bowl Burley bitterness, and a relatively cool smoke unless you puff too quickly.

A very well produced flake that can serve as a suitable substitute for Edgeworth Sliced, tasting very similar; the only difference for me was in the nicotine strength as previously noted. Unlike ES, BS is only available in 50 gm tins. Since this flake burns slowly, 50g should go a long way.

For a Burley flake comparison, see my review of Solani's Aged Burley Flake, a comparable blend, reviewed one week after Burley Slice. As far as rankings go, I like them both equally. Overall, ABF has more of a sweetly-sour (in equal measure) presence that BS does not, BS being more sweet (not cloying) over sour. Variations on a theme of very good Burley leaf.

UPDATE 11-18-10: I just wanted to note that I have been fortunate to come by several 100 gm tins of Edgeworth Sliced over the past several months (that was produced by Orlik for Lane). Side by side, ES is a bit lighter in color and has a smidgen of a top-dressing not found in WBS. After many bowls of each, I do maintain that Wessex Burley Slice is the closest you can get to ES in taste (molasses/licorice). BS can be a bit harsh when fresh (and a bit medicinal/chemical tasting), so I usually open a tin and let it sit (closed) for several weeks before smoking, and this lessens the effect somewhat but doesn't eliminate it fully.

UPDATE 10-20-12: After nearly 30 tins each of Burley Slice and Solani's Aged Burley Flake I can say that the ABF is the better of the two. BS, when fresh, seems to have a slightly medicinal/chemical taste and can be off-putting at times. I must emphasize that they are a different smoke for me flavor wise - similar, but not the same. That said, I reach for ABF more often (several smokes a week, at times my daily smoke for several days running), whereas BS now a days is for when the muse strikes...which hasn't been too often lately. BS is just not as tasty or full enough for me, plus that chemical/medicinal taste is always there to my palate.

UPDATE 1-16-14: I find that if I let this dry out to the state of it crumbling when you push a flake into the bowl, not only is there no chemical taste, but it doesn't smoke hot and really resembles the Edgeworth Sliced of old (not the now defunct Orlik version, but the original).

UPDATE 3-5-14: My current tin was smoked fresh after about a 2 months ago purchase. Smoked it fresh in a meer lined Dr. Grabow pot (a GREAT smoker!) and there was absolutely no harshness, nor chemical presence whatsoever. No sourness either. Very good indeed! 5 stars.

Similar Blends: The ORIGINAL Edgeworth Sliced, NOT the Orlik version..

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)

Despite the packaging similarities, I believe this blend differs from the Solani ABF. In the tin the WBS is darker, sliced thicker, and the tobaccos in the flake are more homogenous. The ABF has lighter flecks and is more variegated. The ABF aroma may be slightly sweeter, the WBS being a bit more leathery, slightly sour (not in a bad way). The textures are noticeably different. The Wessex flake crumbles easily, and the Solani flake is more cohesive.

Side-by-side, in clay pipes, the ABF seems spicier, but the difference is slight. I'm thinking it would have been a better use of my time to load a either flake in a cob or fat briar. I like both flakes and rate them 4 stars.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

This is a well prepared burley flake, and I can't come up with anything negative to say about this tobacco's appearance, quality, taste, or room note.

On the other hand, I can't think of anything really positive to say about any of those things, either. Put another way, this is a competent blend, but in no way is it an inspired (or inspiring) one. The flavor is, to my palate, very dull and reminds me of watered down coffee. There were times when I detected almost no taste at all, even if this blend does have a small nicotine kick.

As much as I love burley, this one just didn't ring my bell, especially when blends like Solani's Aged Burley Flake are available.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I have been a burley lover for almost 40 years but I cannot say this is one of the better ones. I love the presentation in the tin box, and the flakes rubbed out very easily. The tin aroma was almost sugary and made my mouth water. Upon lighting, it was kind of flat at first though it did burn very well once lit. I would say the first half of the bowl was very disappointing, PA is much better but the room note was to me wonderful, howwever my better half said it was very strong and smelled like SWR which she detests the aroma of. The second half the burly nuttiness came out ans I enjoyed it somewhat til the end. But it always taste a little sweet to me, any virginia lovers that like it's sweet taste may find this a nice change but once I use it up, it won't be in my rotation anymore, much better burleys out there.

billb3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
billb3 (17)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Very Pleasant

This is one of the best examples of Burley currently available. It has all the oily nuttiness that burley is known for as well as pronounced cocoa notes. The flavor is big, although not broad. It does not bore like some straight burleys. The aroma is rich and room filling, but clean. Comparable to Solani's Burley Flake. A must try for burley lovers.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (38)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I like Wessex Burley Flake. I fold a flake in thirds, round it to a cylinder, and stuff it in the bowl. Three matches later, and with some attentive tamping, a good ember takes me to the bottom leaving dry ash.

Beyond observing that this has a good Burley tobacco taste, there?s not a whole lot to say about the flavor. Nearly every Burley description uses the word ?nutty.? Well, this is no exception, but whether due to personal chemistry or appetite, etc., for me the nuttiness leans not toward the peanut taste, but rather toward the vegetable nuttiness of, say, canned black olives.

The smoke is rich and somewhat rough, but biteless. But at times, early on in the smoke, it is assertive and somewhat scratchy in the nasal passages. This is not a sweet tobacco, but it tilts away from ?Burley bitterness;? so in that sense I guess you could call it sweet without meaning saccharine.

I give it two stars because of its overall mundane character and some rough edges early on in the smoke. This would be a three star smoke were it not for the boutique price. If you are sampling Burleys this tobacco should be on your list.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Upon opening the tin, and bringing the aroma to my nose, as others have stated, a mild scent of sweetness that reminds me of chocolately sweet hay...oddly very nice. There are approx. 25 small slices in each tin and they seem to be at perfect smoking hydration levels. Since this seems to be cased with a sugary substance and not propylene glycol this will hopefully have a nice tobacco taste/smell and not that of chemicals.

I took out all the slices in groups of 5, I used a sharp pair of scissors and cubed the entire 50g and set them to sit in a plastic carrying pouch. I dont want to loose any more moisture than what it possesses presently.

Packing this in a deep bowled Pipa Croci it took well to flame after about 4 false lights and setteled well for the finishing light. I had a wonderful full smoke in no time. The draw was easy and the nicotine content was not as strong to me as others have experienced...but all the same...nice. There were a few relights, but this is more due to my break in process than the weed itself.

This is no replacement for Edgeworth slices (I have some cellared)..this is better! More tobacco flavor and less casing, sweetness. Since Im breaking in a new bowl this was not as enjoyable but I cant wait to give it a whirl in a seasoned bowl.

Strong nuttiness was noted as well as caramelized sugars in the first third of the smoke. The second phase took on a cool pleasant smokey flavor...minimal sweetness and quite complex for a burley. A slow breathing technique really brought out some fine nuances. The end of the bowl left me with some dottle, but in a new bowl this is not a problem. No bite noticed and this was a good even smoker. It is alittle pricey but I bought 5 tins for 50 bucks at knoxville cigars...with shipping included in this figure.

I think this is a good tobacco..and worth a try...though a little pricey as compared to ES. If you like burley then I think it will be well worth it.

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (29)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

I never tried the apparently legendary Edgeworth, but if it really tastes like this, I´m not surprised of it´s disparition. I just don´t find what´s so good about this blend.

The appearance is very nice. The flakes seemed in my mind as chocolate flakes. Actually, don´t tell anyone but I couldn´t resist biting one. (Don´t do it yourselves, please) I had to have a bitter moment just to discover it was not chocolate.

When the proof of fire came, the enchantment was gone. This is heaviness and monotony in flake form.

But I discovered that adding a pinch of Va or VaPer it improves greatly, or also it can be used to improve dull mixtures of that kind.

It has quality, that´s undeniable, but boring quality. I bought two tins: one I ended up as an ingredient to combine and the other, destined to be smoked alone, took me 2 years to finish.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

These well-fabricated flakes have a richly herbal smell in the tin.

There's not a lot to say about the flavor. It has a prodigious founded upon light and brown burleys enhanced with a generous amount of added sweeteners, probably molasses.

An excellent replacement for Edgeworth Sliced, for those that miss that venerable classic. This seemed best in a narrow to medium gauge chamber.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

What can I say? It's burley; 100% unadulterated burley. It looks beautiful, but is difficult to light and keep lit. It lacks even the basic flavors found in Symphony, itself a rather mundane though pleasant burley (though not 100%). I know that there are a lot of burley fans out there; don't know that I would call those folks 'afficianados', as anyone who enjoys straight burley wouldn't really qualify for such a grand moniker. For burley fans, I guess this would be right up your alley. For the rest of us, not. It's burley; 100% unadulterated burley. What more can I say?

SApipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SApipe (31)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Presentation in the tin is outstanding! Small strips about 1/2 in tall by 3 in long. Varying colors of brown, light brown. The strips are lined up like a package of bacon. Very mild fruitcake-like aroma. I smoked it as rubbed out, broken flake, and cut up into cubes....all three methods tasted the same. The tobacco is difficult to light; requiring several false lights. It burns well once lit, with minimal gurgling. It has a nice burley room aroma. However, being that it is 100% burley, I expected a much stronger nutty taste than what this delivers. Plus it really tastes like burning ashes on the bottom 1/3 of the bowl. Too bad it doesn't taste as good as it looks. I give it only 2-stars because of the weak burley flavor.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)

This burly is very nice from top to bottom. It is a bit difficult to initially light, but once a lit it burns to a nice fine white ash. The burlys flavor is initially nutty smooth flavors develops into a rich creamy taste that can be enjoyed anytime.

As I continue down the Burley trail that I've been on of late, Burley Slices by Wessex is my latest stop.

Impressions: Not as flavorful as the new C&D Safe Harbor Flake..... But, it is stronger.

A little more forgiving than the late, lamented Edgeworth Slices.

In the world of Burley Slices, this one is less smooth and somewhat harsher than what I enjoy. Rough around the edges, yet never bitter.

I somewhat enjoyed my tin, but won't buy another.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first Wessex tobacco and I chose Burley Flake because I had a craving for the old Edgeworth Slices which are, sadly, no longer available. The tin itself is awfully dang boring but it is the tobacco I wanted, so I dove right in.

Perfectly pressed medium brown flakes with specks of darker tobacco. Perfect moisture - slightly on the dry side. The flakes are about 3.5 inches long and not too thick. Thinner than the Edgeworth as I remember it. Great tin aroma - musky Burley with a slight top dressing (perhaps molasses). I mean top dressing - not casing - because this is no cased aromatic at all.

A bit of work to rub out the flake but not too bad. Never really rubbed out fully. I also tried cutting it into strips/cubes. Both methods worked well and I did not notice a taste difference.

Easier to light than most flakes. Burned well, but there was a bit more dottle than I prefer.

Taste was excellent. Full flavored American-style Burley. Truly a Norman Rockwell old-fashioned style of tobacco. No sweetness but for the hint of molasses. Pure, simple and straightforward. Medium to full in the nicotine dept., nothing like Royal Yacht or a rope tobacco, but more than most.

All in all a delicious Burley flake. Straight out of the golden-age of American pipe smoking. I will keep it in my rotation.

OleFattGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OleFattGuy (27)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Very nice burley flake. Burns fairly dry, with a tendency to gurgle in the last third (my smoking tech?), were it also gets too strong for me. The nicotine simply dries out the back of my palate and tickles my tongue. If I try to go slow, it goes out. My remedy is to smoke half flakes ;) but it ends very abruptly... All in all a good tobacco for the stout burley lover!

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

An excellent diversion for the burley afficianado. Warm, toasty,and rich are the flavors. It is very pleasing to the palate and the olfactory senses of those within whiffing range. It is though a rather bland slice. Nothing like Peretti's treatment of burley or even UNIVERSITY FLAKE by Peterson.Were it not for th very high nicotine content I would smoke it more often. As I said at the beginning - An excellent diversion for the burley afficianado. 3 0f 4 stars.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

A tried and true European treatment of burley. Were it not for the high nicotine content which gets me slightly in the throat, this is a monochromatic, yet fine all burley flake. In this vein I much prefer the Peterson University and the Gawith Chocolate Flake. It doesn't make a great impression at first and its a bit stringy when rubbed out, but it opens up very nicely after about the first third of the way down. Aroma is toasty, bright and pleasing. I'm smoking this in early summer, but this would probably be a fine smoke during winter in front of a comfy fireplace. Like most European tobaccos, I believe this flake is now produced in Germany. Burley lovers will find Wessex a true gift. Unpretentious and genuine, WBS is a distinguished, highly enjoyable flake.

Three and a half of five stars

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is supposed to be the reincarnation of the original, which I have never tasted. All I have are 10 yr. old tins of the Edgeworth Slices. Compared to those, this blend left me a little flat. Rather than go into my usual detail, all I will say is that this needs age! It ended a bit too ashy and a little bitter.I will finish my opened tin, but the rest will go in the cellar for at least 5 years before trying again. It looks like it has quality components, we shall see in 5 years...

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)

I generally agree with kilted1's fine review below. Unlike him, though, I found that the flakes arrived far too damp for my tastes, and smoked much better, with less bite, after some serious open-air drying. As kilted1 mentions, this is a cool, slighty sweet burley that opens with the taste of molasses. Down the bowl, I taste pepper and butter, but by bowl's end, this is just plain old earthy, slightly bitter Burley. That's fine by me, as the Burley is of excellent quality.

This stuff can be a bit dull for me by the end of a larger bowl (But I am much more a Virginia smoker, so mark my bias.) The blend is quite well made, burns well once dried, and smokes well in just about any pipe. To my tastes, it ranks with Mac Baren London Burley Blend as a preferred smoke for Burley lovers.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

For all the Edgeworth my father smoked, he should have bought stock in the company... This delightful rememberance is an artful combination of mild and nutty leaf that is very close to the tinned slices of the mid '50's. I suggest smoking it in the slice for maximum flavor and duration of this most pleasant of smoking experiences. This most forgiving of Burley blends is without some of the undesirable characteristics of others that can burn hot and turn bitter. Easily an all day smoke, this has immediately become one of my regular rotation smokes. The tin aroma has a light molassas note that speaks of a complex yet not overpowering treat for the pipester. I recommend this blend to anyone seeking a most pleasant Burley smoke.

Meerschaum Man Smoking a Yanik Daemon Skull

ErnieQ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ErnieQ (6)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Does anyone remember the original Edgeworth Slices? The one that came in the Hinge Top Tin? It was sweet and nutty and had virtually no bite. Then came the Danish incarnation which I thought was OK. It had a sort of tangy aroma in the tin and displayed a good amount of bite.

Enter Burley slice. This is everything the original Edgeworth was: Nutty, Sweet old fashioned Molasses Flavored American Style rectangular Burley Slices. This tobacco does not purport to be anything more than a simple burley slice...and that is exactly what it is: A nod to the days of old fashioned Burley.

Sublime nutty sweetness. Simple, and it works. This tobacco is easily rubed out or cut and packs well. Moisture is perfect. Light and burns even to the bottom eith regular tamping. What more can one ask?

I Highly recommend this to anyone who misses the true flavor of old fashioned burley slices.

kilted1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kilted1 (43)

With the recent closing of Murray and Son's in Belfast Ireland, fans have been looking for a reasonable substitute for Edgeworth Sliced. Wessex Burley Slice is said to be a return to the original recipe developed in Richmond in 1903.

Being a Burley fancier myself, I just had to give it a try. I have enjoyed Edgeworth Sliced for over 20 years off and on. I noticed the changes in formulation over the years, the later recipe seeming to be a mixture of Burley and Virginia with a more powerful topping than that available when I first smoked it about 1980.

Appearance: A very beautiful and uniform flake tightly sealed in a rather ?plain Jane? tin of mottled appearance. Various hues of tans and browns of nice rich mature tobacco.

Aroma: This mixture has a deep sweet aroma very enticing. Immediately one smells a deep hay-like quality, freshly mown hay, slowly drying in the summer sun. Deep, sharp and earthy. Carmel tones and nuts are evident, as in grandma's molasseses. There is a darker scent to this as well leading me to believe that some of the leaf has been toasted in some manor. No hint whatever of Virginia or other tobaccos are evident.

This tobacco is nearly perfect in moisture the flakes are very pliant and feel slightly leathery, easily folded into a perfect ?folded plug? for inserting into the chamber. For this review I've chosen a well seasoned cob fully dedicated to Burley mixtures.

Lighting generally easy, at times requiring a re-light or two to get fully going, and with a friendly ?lighting tamp? I was well on my way each time. As expected, the initial flavor very Burley, with a thick silky mouth feel, with semi-sweet notes. Hay-like tones and smells and flavors of Autumn are abundant with deepening flavors of nuts and butter interplaying in a fascinating way. This seems much more to me like the Edgeworth of old, less sweet, less bitter the topping being more of the minimalist variety. Later production of Edgeworth seemed to me over-topped if anything, this is more a return to the refined version available at least 15 years ago.

Mid Bowl: Approaching mid-bowl, the fullness tends to build the toothsome mixtures of nuts and Burley develop in strength slowly along predictable lines. The topping flavor dissipates evenly leaving a slight sweetness which lasts for the remainder of the bowl. The nuttiness becomes more pronounced which is very agreeable. The mixture seems to gather a bit of strength as it matures, though I don't find it unmanageable at all. There is a moderate complexity of flavors, deep tones and high ones, hay-like, nuttiness and a slight sweetness with a rich molasseses or caramel flavor. This should bring a wide smile to many a grandfather's face recalling a great tobacco of old.

Home Stretch: As end of the bowl approaches, I am deeply pleased. This blend IS the ?Edgeworth Sliced? of old, full of character and simple class of a true classic mixture.. The final third has matured nicely with all the flavors working in deepening harmony. None of the recent later bowl harshness is there, just rich voluminous pure white smoke from beginning to end. A self maintaining mixture which may be enjoyed indoors or stand up to near gale force winds outdoors making it a favorite for puttering around in the garden, forest or plains.

Supplemental Notes: This blend will certainly occupy a regular part of my rotation and should make many a lover of Edgeworth Sliced very happy indeed Rating for those interested in numbers four full stars**

OLDTIMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OLDTIMER (39)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

This is a tasty burley, but not as good as the no longer available Edgeworth flake. It is high in nicotine, but if puffed slow it is fine.It is not to moist and easy to rub out.If you like Edgeworth flake give it a try you might like it, but it is not for me.

Elric Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elric (34)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Finally! A reasonably competent replacement for the recently-departed Edgeworth Sliced.

Upon opening the tin, you are greeted with the familiar ES smell, although not quite as strong. The slices are moist but not at all wet and rub out easier than Edgeworth

At the match, this blend welcomes the burley smoker home with the expected taste and room note. It, like the nose of the tin, is not as strong as Edgeworth but is certainly in the same family. The smoke is very smooth and exhibits no sharp edges. Surprisingly, despite the taste being somewhat muted, the nicotine content appears to have been raised somewhat. I wasn't able to detect a sweetness from any additives but the leaf is unusually mild for a burley. It doesn't appear to have any propensity to bite either.

The fact that Burley Slice comes in 50g tins is a bonus from the standpoint that it's not likely to dry out before consumption. However, the pricing makes it a premium blend so a larger tin would be worthwhile for economic reasons (I paid $10 for 50g vs $16 for 100g of Edgeworth). Unless something truly remarkable comes along, this will be my sliced burley fix for the foreseeable future.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (138)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I got a sorta large sample of this in early August '05 from RTDA at the Morial Cenvention Center in N.O.

I remember Tim and his boss Bob of payless pipes looking at me as I puffed, and I said, "Look guys, you're seeing the face of a happy man. Not as good as birth of a child, but still as happy as I can be." They stared. I had never seen such a show. Little did we know that building would turn from paradise to chaos to hell in the coming weeks.

Nevertheless, I got to smoke some 20 bowls of this stuff in the following weeks in a new Rinaldo. At first I thought a straight Tenessee white burley, plain and honest. But the slight flavoring, either licorice or probably molasses I'm told, came along like the blend's shadow. Just a little sweetness mind you. Cool and some inner strength.

Yes sir, this is the replacment for the now gone Edgeworth Slices. This is supposed to be a replicant of the older version. I smoked the newer version of Edgeworth Slices off and on for the past 10 years, and I think it is fine still. Have some cellared in a dry office. While this new wessex blend may not be quite as scented (ES would lose the flavoring if you took 30 days to smoke the large tin of 100 gm), it is more easy to handle and rub out.

Mostly burley cut in flake form. I'm told the cake is painted with something (molasses), but it is not overdone. I think if you like Edgeworth Slices, you'll cotton to Burley Slice. I'm glad someone brought this old blend back to a semblance of what I think most of you burley guys will like.

I did evacuate with my Rinaldo and some Burley Slice left. Now it's gone. I hope to be getting more soon and I'll give it even more of a try. Perhaps the last of the few "luxuries" I dare afford for the time being. Give me a hand and support the incarnatin of the old Edgeworth Slices. It may grow on you. We don't want this one to disappear too.