Full English blend with Virginias, Turkish, Latakia, Burley & Perique. Stoved, pressed, and sliced as crumble cake.

Blended ByCraig Tarler
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Strong
Taste
Full
Tolerable to Strong, Strong

3.1
panduji68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panduji68 (22)

Very pleasant full bodied smoke. Medium to medium high in the nicotine department. First half of the bowl, all of the tobaccos are distinguishable and separate. Nice smoky latakia flavor, sweet and haylike from the Virginia, perique is in the background and slightly spicy, burley is present in the mouthfeel, but not readily apparent as a nutty flavor, but guessing it contributes to a nice dose of nicotine. Last half of the bowl, the flavors seem to meld together into a nice creamy, buttery smoke. Semi-complex, and well balanced... Really pleasant smoke! 3.5 stars!!!

Pipe Used: Erik Nording Freehand Large Bowl

Now this is an interesting blend. It contains everything including the kitchen sink and I'd hesitate to call it any certain type of blend, such as "English". It's almost a genre unto itself.

Dark chocolate in color with a few brown streaks, this is pressed into a "crumble cake" that didn't crumble. It pulled apart fairly easily but not like some of the other C&D crumble cakes. Taste-wise, this is a moderately robust blend of several tobaccos, all of which gave way to the other. If you remember Deep Purple's comment of "everything louder than everything else", this was "everything quieter than everything else". All of the tobacco flavors were muted and that's probably a good thing. Otherwise there would be too much infighting. As it is, it worked. Some VA sweetness on top of a base of burley and perique, with some light latakia and oriental wisps floating around. I didn't find that this changed much throughout the smoke... what I mentioned just above happened from charring light to dottle. Reminded me of other good tasting but non-complex blends like GLP Odyssey and Lancer Slices, even though this tasted nothing like either of those. Nothing wrong with a blend being simple as long as it tastes good. And this one does. It's not a bear at all, it's kind of a sweetheart but perhaps one with a moderately strong personality.

Three stars, and one for my occasional list. Good to try for those who like Vitamin N and casseroles. :)

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (46)

I liked this blend. I agree with most of the reviews stated below, at least the parts not contrary to one another. I wound up with this by accident, sort of, I was in an eBay feeding frenzy, you know, one of those days where things work out right. And of course on eBay you can't sell tobacco so the seller insists he/she/it is seller an unopened collectors tin and often goes through the whole legal spiel that looks like it's eBay's policy cut and pasted. For some reason that gets people bidding above retail for a year old can of, say, Dunhill's 965. I could see going crazy if it was Penzance JF germains special latakia flake, something you can't get for love or money. This seller avoided the spiel and just listed it as a sealed collectors tin. Looks like he's giving up English blends. Anyhow I bid a buck or two below retail for a three year old can of this, a five year old can of Caravan and god knows how old a can of Rattrays Accountants Mixture, but with shipping it was all a bit below retail and the rattrays looks old, I mean I haven't seen that particular packaging in a long time. I would have gotten around to Bow legged bear eventually. Yes, it's a different sort of Balkan, a little sweeter, and a little nuttier, opening the tin doesn't blast you with Latakia. Maybe it's just me, but the only thing I don't agree with is the strong nicotine. Granted I have a high tolerance, but still, I know a nicotine buzz when I feel one. Guess I'll keep trying. I'm sure I'll buy a new tin sooner or later, hope it's not something I have to cellar at least three years.

I'm giving it four stars for surprising me, and I'll edit away a star if it becomes boring.

Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Bears may seem cute and cuddly from a distance, but they can be mighty dangerous. Starting a fight with one of our smaller east coast bears is not recommended, while the larger bruins such as the Grizzly or the Alaskan Brown can easily decapitate a human with one blow. After reading certain reviews referencing heart palpitations, I tried this blend for the first time in a small pipe. This was wise: I don't think a large bowl of this would be something I could...bear. My sample is a ten year old Ebay tin. The seal was broken, but the plastic bag was still intact. The tobacco is a bit dry, but is bearing up well, though the cakes are falling apart. Unflavored; the tin bears only the pungent smell of the various tobaccos in the blend. I have been a regular pipe smoker for two years, so while I'm not a grizzled old pipester, I'm no cub either when it comes to strong tobaccos. However, when I walked back to the house from my "smoking den," I could see why this bear is called "bow-legged." The nicotine sneaks up on you and could leave one too giddy to bear oneself up, and it is good to bear this in mind. Seems to have a bit of Latakia, but there is so much else going on here that one doesn't notice it as much as in a more traditional English blend. Bow-Legged Bear is dark, heavy, and slightly sweet; heady yet not at all overbearing. I think it is certainly more refined and less rustic than the "Ursus Hillbillicus" on the tin would suggest. Sipped slowly, and taking care not to let it past the palate, this is quite a pleasant and rewarding smoke. Thanks for bearing with me!

wdsmith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wdsmith (11)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

Tin Note: Sour, pungent, Oriental/English aroma.

Cut: Thick crumble cake that seems to vary between one big chunk, sometimes, two small ones, depending on the tin. Very dark with specks of lighter tan leaf. Looks somewhat like a brownie. The moisture is just right as it is not as wet as say Black Frigate but not quite as dry as Briar Fox (Both of which are great C&D cake blends as well)

False Light yields some spicy notes from the perique. I've smoked a good bit of BLB and this always seems to be the case. The next light let loose some of the smokey quality of the latakia.

First Third: The oriental leaf seems to dominate this portion of the bowl with the other components faintly in the background. Still a bit of spice from the perique.

Second Third: Ah, there's the perique. Some nutty burley stops by for a quick visit. Turkish and Va. seem to shine as I move to the final potion...

Final Third: The strength seems to dominate by this point. Not 1792 or Irish Flake strong, but it will get you if you are not used to stronger blends. At this point, each component is working together but none the main player.

Overall, a good, no nonsense smoke. Pure tobacco taste and plenty of nicotine. Though the room note will not win over any friends, I think it is just fine. This one will surely not garner one any of the "Oh, that's just how I remember Granddad's pipe" comments.

Very good blend from C&D. 3.5 stars.

Half-bent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Half-bent (8)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Not a bad tobacco, by any means, but not one that I'll be smoking regularly. Its taste is full and vaguely interesting at times, but far too muddy on the whole. The components don't really gel for me, into anything sensible and pleasing. It's very confusing to my palate. Muddy is the right word.

Mr.MeerBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.MeerBill (35)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This to me is what Mississippi river would taste like if you could taste it lol one of the best and most unusual pipe tobaccos I have had the pleasure of trying

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A very good English heavy on the Latakia. I felt that the Orientals were a little weak for my taste so I mixed this 50/50 with Low Country's Cooper. Wow! The results were more than expected. Got a truly FULL bodied English with nice balance between the Latakia and the Orientals. Try it sometime.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (53)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

A great full smoke for late in the day, theres a lot of dif leaves in the blend but you will get a rounded taste with some spice notes from the Perique. Very good with a good Bourbon or Scotch to relaxe after a long day.

bence Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bence (24)
Medium to Strong None Detected Extra Full Tolerable

The tin aroma is something weird. I mean really weird. When i opened it, i yelled a big heyyawhohhhuuuahh. Dirty, muddy, odorous. I prefere to smoke it in a big bowl. I tried it from filtered and non filtered as well, but since it is extremly full, and not a mild smoke, i think it is not a big problem to smoke trough a filtered airhole, we won't lose significant amount of flavor. Burns quickly, maybe, 'cause i can not resist to smoke it briskly…because it is an incredibly comlex, very tasteful baccy. How do i get to the bear? As i smoke it, i feel i've got an entire forest in my bowl, i mean all the things starting from the soil through the rivers, the animals, trees, bushes...i think a bear can feel the same, when he leisurely walks around his territory :) Very interesting, unusual outdoor baccy.

StylesSharpman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StylesSharpman (24)

was guna right somthin down here, but after reading the review below i couldn't think of much more to add. uh oh yeah just be sure to wash ur hands after rub out (of the tobacco)

flakey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakey (43)

Virginias, Turkish, Latakia, Burley & Perique. Stoved, pressed, and sliced. To quote the late great Archie Bunker: "Now that's what I call a balanced ticket." This blend turned out well IMO. The various & sundry flavors seem a tad muted but they shift nicely, and no one of the gang really runs the show. We have an ever-present earthy burley in the background, while a mild turkish, sweet virginia, and restrained latakia surface then subside in turn. For me the perique was more notable in the realm of mouthfeel / nosefeel than in taste. All finished off by that peculiar feeling of tranquility courtesy of a good vitamin n kick. To me this one was not so much a deeply contemplative english as it was a very good workhorse english. Well done.

Pipe Gent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Gent (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I highly recommend if you are an english and burley lover that you try this blend at least once--I have yet to experience a blend as richly nutty (in every sense of the word--the association of "nutty" and "burley" came through for me here) and unique as The Bear. While other reviewers might warn us of the towering nicotine inferno this blend can deliver, it surprisingly did not knock me to the ground (probably because I am accustomed to smoking stronger blends), but it was stronger than most tobaccos I have smoked. Hmm, I do recollect, however, that when a colleague of mine and I packed The Bear up to the top in our biggest pipes for our first taste. . . one of us didn't make it (but at least we were outside). This was still not enough to keep either of us away, and we both enjoy The Bear's company often (who thankfully has a sense of humor). If you want a unique, full strength, nutty, chocolaty/coffee tasting blend with character and enjoy some blends with a little strength, do buy a tin and sit down with The Bear yourself--he won't bite, I promise.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)

I try to smoke at least 2 oz of a blend before I will give my 2 coppers. Upon opening this tin a few days back(dated 7/08), a sour, albeit pleasant smell filled my nose holes. I do not detect an abundance of Latakia in this blend, althoughh it is mildly detected. I was suprised the 5 different leaves got along so well together, something that is very difficult to achieve. Moisture content was great, easy to prepare and pack. Lghting took a few matches, but most cakes do. I do not know what 3 years of age has done to this, but it didn't seen to do any harm.

Would pair well with Drambuie, 3 ice cubes.

beardedhermit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beardedhermit (30)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Evergreen pine needles, and a spicy clove taste hit me on the char light. Settles down with sweet nutty smoky and spicy notes. Burley Virginia Latakia Perique Turkish. Lots going on. Very flavorful blend and one that never bites me. This is something I like to smoke in the fall/winter once or twice a month, any more then that I lose those opening notes. Recommended.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

This is a very interesting English blend I think. The only issue I had with it was that my sample dried out very quickly. I should like to buy a tin of it though. This blend has the english taste, but then on top of that there are some excellent spicy notes that are very dominant in the blend, if I'm not mistaken this comes from the perique presence in the blend. It rubs out fairly well, though I thought the leaf pieces were a bit large which made packing a bit annoying at times, but this can be remedied once you are looking for it. This is a good summer night blend for me, bold and spicy, I like the combination of this blend on a warm evening with a beer and the smell of fresh cut grass!

vinnie799 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinnie799 (33)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Hey this a very satisfying tobacco to this Briarbrother. It's got a taste that stays with me for a few after the embers fade from a good sized bowl. The taste is strong enough to let you remember it for a while. And, makes me consider two bowls in a row, it's that good. One might think that two bowls being necessary it might not be all 'that'. It's 'allthat' enough to consider a second tin real soon so that I don't run out.

The tobaacco arrives in the tin containing two crumble cakes which crumble very easily, almost two easily. I'm just about halfway through the 2oz tin and I see that i'ts necessary for me to handle the cakes gently. The tobacco is dry to the touch as such it breaks up and forms a dark dust on the table or in the bottom of my pouch. I'd suggest handling it as little as possible and keep it in a small airtight jar being as dry and crumble as it is.

However it's a great smoke once it's in the bowl and fired up! Full enough to do wonders in time of stress or after a nice rich, spicy meal. It may be a latakia blend but the turkish seems to moderate everything. When I hear/see latakia blend I'd hope to experience latakia being predominate in the blend. Here it's a very honorable mention. Despite me finding it necessary to handle with care I'll probably will see it again in my stash. This blend gets Three Stars IMHO!

UPDATE; 1/10/2011 Many folks mention here that BLB has so many tobaccos in it that they can't decern any particular ones. I see this tobacco as unique in it's own rite. All the tobacs here converge to make the taste that it it full, strong, no nonsense English. Yeah there's Burley and some say burley shouldn't be in an English but what I'm seeing, feeling and tasting is English all over the place; a blend of tobacco's with apparently NO flavorings. It seems that it's the way English's ought to be, right? On top of all that this is the time of year to smoke English cold, breezy, stimulating Winter time. At first I commended BLB. Now I highly recommend bow-Legged Bear to English blend smokers. Winter weather just exudes the necessity of a very bold blend like this one.

Doc Jake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doc Jake (23)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Very Strong

I smoked nightcap for years, but in terms of knock your socks off nicotine...this stuff takes the taco! First third of the bowl is great, rich and dense, almost creamy smoke and then it hits you. The bear tears into you; nicotine, and ash/cigarette tasting remainder. It almost turns into a "who's gonna win" match, you or the bear. Good tobac, just not my everyday cup of tea. All others, Enjoy!

Thorre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thorre (27)
Strong Very Mild Very Full Strong

Bow Legged Bear is a tobacco I have wanted to try for months. After reading the reviews about the legendary strength of this Bear, I wanted to see if I could handle it. I can. The strength makes my skin tingle. I love the Bear. It comes in large plugs, that remind me of plug chewing tobacco. It crumbles easy enough. It packs well, stays lit and burns to a fine ash. A smokey, spicy, and maybe a slight prune flavor. It left the taste on my tongue long after the fire went out. Which is a good thing. You can definitely taste the quality. For me it is not an all day smoke. I would not want to smoke this blend while reading the newspaper or mowing the lawn. It is a great smoke after a good meal. BLB is a good tobacco when you want some quiet reflection. Bow Legged Bear is like a bigger, and stronger brother to SPC's Plum Pudding.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I have wanted to review this blend for some time now. At this point, I have smoked over a half pound and feel like I know the blend well enough to comment in a meaningful way without resorting to "one bowl wonder" statements.

My personal preference is for tobacco that is rich, complex and strong enough in the nicotine department to satisfy me. Bow-Legged Bear fits that bill nearly perfectly. It has a wonderful variety of tobaccos that when you first start smoking, don't seem to harmonize all that well. They never get to the level of perfect harmony, there are rough edges, but after a couple of ounces you start to understand and admire the blend for what it is. A powerhouse of flavor and nic. stength that showcases well.

It is deep, dark and not really sweet at all. An evening smoke for the more timid, a morning smoke for me. The latakia is well placed in the middle of the profile with the perique, burley and turkish filling out the bulk. The virginia is only there at the edges, and this blend could probably use just a bit more of the va. that they have chosen. It would take this to a four star level I believe.

The blend can get a bit woody in the middle of the bowl if smoked hot. Again, a little more of the va. could round that out as well. All in all, a very acceptable smoke for the crowd that likes their whiskey straight and their tobacco strong.

UPDATE 1-24-11

I am taking this up to the four star level. It gets even better with age! The strength is still great and the flavor has smoothed out considerably, taking the rough edges referenced in my original review off. I just love this stuff. Although I have moved on to other tobaccos, this is still in the rotation from time to time. 5 pounds sit in my cellar, and they will all be consumed slowly by fire. I will savor every single sip. I can't help but notice that the esteemed reviews of Pipestud are almost without fail opposite of my own, but no matter, I just use this as a reverse guide in finding what I will probably like! Go figure...cheers.

hillbillypalate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hillbillypalate (20)
Overwhelming Medium Extra Full Extra Strong

This post is exactly one month after the facts. This must be recommended if you extremely hate your pipe smoking neighboor. Bought a tin at one of my local bakky shop. Upon smoking half way through the bowl with this blend I was almost sick to my stomach. I thought I was getting a heart attack or this tobacco had some kind of a rat poison. I had my wife rush me to the ER. I though it was the combination of the Porkchops she made and this blend that cause my Blood Pressure to rise. I seriously thought I was stroking out. This tobacco cost me $10 dollars for the tin and $1200 of hospital and ER bills. BTW I had no insurance.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (41)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Simply put, this blend is great but not for the beginner. Full of heavy flavor and a satisfying tobacco experience.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is very interesting and good blend, although not for weak moments or empty stomach since it's strength.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)
Very Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Not an english blend, not an aromatic, not a burley blend, nor an oriental blend, not a VA-PER blend. I don't know what it is, but it's good ! Full taste, full pepperness, extra-full strenght. High complexity, every tobaccos play a role, no one everwelming the others. Aroma: smooth and smoky latakia and spicy orientals ( i think Izmir), a lot of plum and/or apricot cake aroma, pepperness from perique, nuttiness from burley. Burning qualities : wonderfull ! Easy to rub out, easy to burn, just grey ash at the finish. Full and genuine taste. A little overwealming and raw....

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

This is hard to classify as a traditional English for me because the Virginia and Turkish really take a distant back seat to the Latakia, Perique and Burley.

It is cigar-like, fairly complex, and dominated by Latakia and Perique. It reminds me of Dunhill's Nightcap, but more robust and it is a little like Mississippi Mud, but way more subdued and balanced for my tastes.

I enjoy this most by pinching a bit off the hard, dry "sticks" of tobacco and crumbling the blend with my finger tips, then lightly layering this into medium to large pipe bowls. Treating this like a flake to be folded into a bowl did not work well.

It lights with a single match and burns gently with consistent, mild tamping. Several times throughout the smoke I pour off the ash to keep things burning aright. Very cool and bite-free, even puffed hard outdoors. I enjoy it with strong dark roast coffee.

This is certainly best aged, as the "edge" and balance improved as I kept coming back to this over a period of about a year.

Eonwe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eonwe (22)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

This is a great full flavored smoke. I like the cake form, and breaking it up is kinda fun. I found my current tin to be very moist, so drying for an hour or so is a must. It packs and light with no problems. I found the taste really interesting, all the flavors are balenced perfectly, which cant be easy due to all the differant tobaccos pressed in. I found the nicotine kick great, and I love the aroma it leaves behind, but do note that I like strong tobacco smells, my friends though, cry like little girls when they smell it, but again, I love it. give Mr. Tarler his credit, he did a great job with this one.

bearzerker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bearzerker (17)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable

I'm so glad I bought this one. I've been looking for a full flavored, strong tobacco and this is one of those. When I opended the tin and saw the to square plugs I was almost tempted to try taking a bite out of one like my grandads old plugs of Cannonball but I resisted. I love the smell of this stuff and had fun breaking pieces of to stuff into my bowl. Man, it looks like fudge. You almost got to be careful with this one and try not to inhale to much cause this one's got a bear's strength. The Latakia's not overpowering, that's a plus and the Perique helps give it a spicey bite. The Virginas are excellent and the Turkish is a nice added plus. It has an awsome flavor from first light to the finnish and burns great. If you like a smoke with a kick this is the one.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Long write up here, I apologize. Please bear with me.

The name of this blend intrigues me. A bow legged bear? What? How come? Who thought of that? Since I seem to match that description, I?m very comforted by the notion. It?s about time I get some recognition.

This was an out of the norm purchase for me. The LA Tinderbox, my local, yet often maligned (by me) B&M, doesn?t carry C&D blends, and by that extension, they neither carry any Pease blends. I asked one of the shop workers why they would ignore such a prominent force in the pipe tobacco industry. He shrugged it off as to suggest these people are amateurs, then pointed off to a dark corner of the store, where hidden out of view lay two dusty tins of Bow Legged Bear. I suppose he was trying to suggest upon me that C&D blends are impervious to consumer demand. I asked this very early on in my pipe smoking days?all of two years ago. ?Look at those tins,? I thought. My tastes demand only the freshest product.

Two years later, and those tins still sat on the shelf. I got my hands on them not so long ago, and noticed the date?wait for it?August 29, 2001. The guy who helped me out was anxious to get rid of them, and offered each for $5. He told me, ?You?d better open one before you leave, I?m not sure if they?re any good.? For the love of God, this man works in a tobacco establishment and has no idea of anything. ?Should I do him the favor??, I considered. I?d rather have not opened the tin in the shop, but under orders I broke the seal. Mind you, this wasn?t the current C&D tin design with the plastic lid and the air tight container, but the old, all aluminum design. A wonderful aroma of fermented tobacco lifted from the can, and he looked at me, astonished to see a beautiful package of tight, black bricks, wrapped in tissue.

This is the same Jackass that tried to talk me out of buying Escudo quite some time ago.

Having opened this baby up, I didn?t waste much time digging into it. Bow Legged Bear is strong as hell, thank all things Perique. There was a period when I swore off Perique, but I?ve been gradually bringing myself to reappraise its various qualities, and I would go so far as to say it makes all the difference in this blend. I don?t know much about aging, other than a feeling that Perique is some kind of magical presence that must have stewed my sample to new heights. I fear somehow I may go on another binge, and I will not cower this time, I swear it.

There?s something of a controversy regarding Bow Legged Bear. There?s so much crap in this mix, no one can really form a consensus on its taste profile. I can only be subjective regarding this matter. To my senses, Bow Legged Bear does not recall any English mixtures I?m familiar with. The Burley puts it in another category, one that doesn?t quite exist as a defined genre. Being somewhat averse to Burley, physiologically, I suspect, I approached Bow Legged Bear with a short apprehension. In practice, I can?t make heads or tails of the leaf, as to me, it?s been drowned out by nearly everything else that constitutes this blend. I know I?m a lousy person for cursing Burley in my recent Edgeworth review, but I cannot complain here.

There?s such a varied nuance, I feel as though I?d never tire of this bearish fellow, crooked posture and all.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

December 2003.Bow-Legged Bear. I have often read about this tobacco & was also fascinated by the picture on the tin.I'm also fascinated by the Krumble Kake & this superb mixture of tobacco blending.There seem's to be everything in variety here,viginia,latakia,perique,turkish & even burley thrown in.The amazing thing is,you can actually taste them all 'individually' right through to the bottom of the bowl.I honestly think this is a crowd pleaser,as there is a little something in the taste for everyone! It's not overpowering & is very,very tastey,to say the least.Light's easily & doesn't cause any bother at all.It's great for those moment's when you simply can't decide which tobacco to smoke. 'Variety Here' all in one tin! ============================================================= "UPDATE" 01/04/07. After revisiting Bow Legged Bear,I really wish I could give this offering "Twenty Star's" (PLUS) "Yes,it really is that good" Go for it and don't miss out!!!

Wolfpaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wolfpaw (37)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

As a lover of good, strong English mixtures, I read the reviews of Bow-Legged Bear with interest. A potent, full-flavored English? Bring it on! Unfortunately, BLB so far has turned out to be my biggest tobacco disappointment. The tin aroma is enticing, earthy and smoky with hints of dark chocolate. So far, so good. I loaded up a pipe with some BLB, and lit up. Not so good any more; the taste was very much like burnt cardboard. I had a tough time finishing the full bowl, but I persisted, hoping it would get better, but it didn't. Since I'd eaten a garlic-heavy Italian dinner that night, I was inclined to blame that, but my second pipeful of BLB a few days later wasn't a whole lot better; this time, there was an undertone of sweetness, but the overriding flavor was again burnt cardboard. The third attempt was much the same, and I gave up on it halfway through the bowl. I've decided to try aging it a little and see if it gets any better, and will try a pipeful every now and then; if my opinion changes, I'll post an update. But for now, I wouldn't recommend Bow-Legged Bear, nor would I buy it again; my choice for a strong full English would have to be Nightcap. Update 1/28/07 If aging improves BLB, the extra 4 months I've given it isn't enough (according to the date stamped on the tin, this one's just a year old). After retrying BLB, and re-reading the other reviews here, I'm convinced I was the unwitting victim of a practical joke. Somebody chopped up some old cardboard boxes, crumbled up a stale White Owl cigar and mixed it with the chopped cardboard, pressed it all into small blocks, and sealed it a BLB can-- which I unfortunately bought. I don't get the satisfying smokiness of Latikia, the peppery zing of Perique, or even the mild nuttiness of Burley from BLB-- only burnt cardboard with overtones of stale cigar. A major disappointment.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

Mmmmmm..... Latakia....

There is plenty of Latakia here. Not a lot of dimension, but plenty of flavor. The Perique is anything but weak - really, there is nothing weak at all in this one. I even noticed the nicotine - a rarity for me.

If you like bold flavor, get yourself a Bear hug.

Flyboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flyboy (39)
Strong Very Mild Full Strong

BLB is a very nice latakia blend. Initially opening my tin(3 1/2 yr old), WOW!! Overwhelming latakia aroma, LOVE IT, but was worried about it dominating all the other tobaccos. Was I wrong, the perique came thru on the initial light but, seemed to drift into the background after the 1st few minutes. The latakia and Va`s started to come together about 1/2 way down the bowl and provide a very satisfactory smoke. I only wish it could have stayed that way as the latakia started to dominate near the end. IMO it smoked,packed,and burns best in small-medium bowls.A good tobacco for those rainy and cold nights beside a fireplace. Too hefty for all day smoke as it tends to dry the palate after 1 or 2 pipefulls. An occasional smoke but, will not cellar any.

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Bow Legged Bear has it all! I have had 2 tins of this in the cellar for about two and a half years now, so I was able to try it with a bit of age. I let my daughter pick it out (she always goes for the Cornell & Diehl due to the neat lables. Her school mascot is the bears so thats why she picked it!) This is great stuff! When I cracked the tin and took a whiff, I was wondering how this would be. Man this smells strong! I have gone through a 2oz tin now and am happy to say, every pipeful gets better and better. This smells amazing in the tin and I can hardly stop sniffing it! You can actually pick out all the individual tobaccos that go into this as it is smoked. There is a healthy nicotine kick to this as well. It received an "allright" smell rating from the family. It is surely a strong blend, but if you are into that, this is great stuff! I had also never smoked a Krumble Kake before and have to say it is very well presented and sort of fun to actually break up and load a pipe with this. I have found it to be at its very best in a medium to large bowl pipe packed slightly on the loose side. If you enjoy a strong smoke with various tobaccos represented, this might just be for you! Give it a try. Thanks for all the previous reviews, This site is a major refrence for me when purchasing a new tobacco! Keep it up.

Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The description on the tin is somewhat scary! All those tobaccos mixed together! How can such a mish-mash taste good?? Actually, it does...And this to me means that Craig Tarler is a great blender. The balance is perfect, the mix is "symphonyc", all the tobaccos play their role without overwhelming each other. In the beginning of the bowl the Perique comes out a bit stronger than the others, but it's just a couple of puffs. The latakia is a little in the back but it comes out stronger towards the last third of the bowl. This isn't an everyday smoke for me, due both to its complexity and to its strenght.

Augie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Augie (6)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a very excellent blend of the stoic and proper 'old English' Latkia and a healthy amount of the 'Ya-hoo!', ' kick 'yo ass' & 'noticeanly, decent amount ' of perique. And a touch of Turkish for all the nicotene lovers to give one an enjoyable smoke! TRY IT!!

Very Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Weird... I like the other C&D crumble cakes, but this one is not completely to my liking. It must be the perique's fault.

I find this tobacco very heavy in nicotine and "presence", but not equally tasty: all flavors seem a bit muddy and hushed, a bit similar to the latest versions of Nightcap.

The smell in the tin is earthy and musky, reminiscent of bitter cocoa. There is Latakia, but it is muffled by the other olfactive notes.

This tobacco is actually quite balanced as all the ingredients sing in a chorus and do not stand out immediately, but this is IMHO also a fault as the taste is quite dull too, compared to Pirate Kake and Longevity.

The nicotine punch is hefty (stronger than Nightcap, perhaps): after a few puffs, this tobacco leaves me nauseated and weak. But, as I said, this is probably due to my intolerance to large measures of Perique rather than because of the nicotine.

I guess you should try this tobacco anyway as it has many fans and it has plenty of potential to appeal to some smokers.

Blackie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackie (16)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Oh my. From sniffing the open tin, to the end of a bowl, this is delicious.

Yes, it is for Latakia mavens, but the sweet presence of the Virginias and warm undertones of Perique foil a Latakian overthrow of the mixture.

This arrives at a perfect humidity, crumbles into a fine square cut, and packs with ease. Although the first few minutes deliver a monochromatic hot-tar Latakia trip, the sweetness and stewey Perique start to unfold with a measured pace of puffing. The lower level of moisture does wonders for staving off the heat of the Virginia, and a medium-size pipe has always served well for this tobacco.

A tin of BLB is always amongst my order to the tobacconist, and this has served as a "go to" smoke after dinner since I first tried it.

UPDATE March 2005: This is still a fantastic smoke. I am positive that aging in the tin is necessary for the complexity of flavor to develop; and boy does it develop. BB is an English at first, but it unfolds, and unfolds and unfolds. About half way down the bowl, no two puffs taste the same. This is very complex.

My only advice to the detractors is simply: Lay down a tin of this for a few years. You will be rewarded with a very pleasant surprise. Although not as strong as Penzance, it has a complexity not unlike that blend.

I loved it before and I love it more now.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

well, this tobacco has quite a resume! check out the list of all the different tobaccos that have gone into it. other than a cavendish, craig has put about everything else in there. one might think this would make for a confusing mish-mash of conflicting flavors, but i find the opposite is true. i like this tobacco very much! it is definitely an english blend, and the most prominant note seems to be the latakia, but it is nicely complmented by the others. it is a crumble cake tobacco, but rubs out very easily and packs well. nice burn rate with consistent flavor all the way to the bottom of the bowl, too. i have only tried a few of craig's tinned blends, and this is my current favorite. i am happy to note that C&D is now making their tinned blends available in bulk. i can see a pound of bow-legged bear in my future. 4 stars for this one.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Strong None Detected Overwhelming Unnoticeable

My piping friend raved about this stuff and its incredible taste, stunning aroma and a finish unlike any other. When I tried it my response was ?um??..err??..uhhhhhhhh,? and a shrug of the shoulders. I can?t figure this one out. The perique is overpowering and literally knocks the taste of out of the box. I don?t detect any aroma other than a huge amount of one dimensional smoke. My friend told me I must lack some sort of refined sense in my taste buds. Well, perhaps I do. Whatever the case, the taste is flat and insipid. What?s the point of this stuff, and especially at its formidable cost? I realize that this is all a matter of individual taste, but with so many great blends out there, I won?t again be smoking any bears, bowlegged or otherwise. yecchhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Overwhelming None Detected Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

I have to warn people ot there-This tobacco literally gave me heart palpitations.I normally smoke Penzance and other similar heavy English mixtures but this one really scared me.It starts off with a really woodsy, grassy taste that slowly builds into a a bigger woodsy, grassy taste.I smoked it for about ten minutes and i felt my heartbeat become so irregular I thought I might be in need of medical attention.In all fairness this is the first time I had ever smoked such a heavily Perique laden blend,and I think my system couldn't handle it. I gave some to a friend and although it did not have a similar efeect, it started to make him nauseous. I have never experienced anything like this before but if you like grassy flavors and wish to venture into the realm of a really potent tobacco this might be for you.

bigblends Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigblends (46)
Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

This is my first sampling of a C&D blend. If Bow Legged Bear is any indicator of the quality I can expect from C&D, I might just have to order up some serious samples.

BLB is a fine mixture of Virginia, Latakia, Perique, and Turkish tobaccos -- all favorites of mine. This is a fairly huge blend, given all of the power hitters in the line-up. However, each component plays nice. The smoker is treated to a very balanced offering of some very different types of leaf. The Krumble Kake presentation is always welcome.

If you want a blend that is full of flavor and body, yet smokes cool, burns well, and performs consistently from charring light to the heel of the pipe, give this stuff a try.

I only gave Bow Legged Bear a rating of "I smoke this on occasion" because my tobacco rotation is out of control as it is and I'm just not positive about keeping this one on as a full-time smoke. That is not to say that I don't have tremendous interest in this fine piece of work from the Tarlers.

Strong None Detected Very Full Extra Strong

Latakia addicts will love this blend. Those who like a more refined Latakia mixture may want to spend their money elsewhere. This is a dry crumble cake that lights easily. The Perique is so far in the background that I never located it. Perhaps it was my palate's battle with all that Latakia that kept me from finding anything else of consequence.

Bow-Legged Bear? One-Trick Pony would be a better name.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Well, compared to C&D Pirate Kake, this one is mild, but then again, that is true about just every English blend. The perique makes the difference here. It is very pronounced in the tin aroma and comes out strongly in the flavor as well. The aroma is even stronger than PK (but not the taste).

I find Bow-Legged Bear a thoroughly enjoyable smoke. My tin was a bit moister than other C&D krumble kakes, which tend to be almost (but not) too dry. This did not seem to be a problem, other than the rubbing out process produced bigger chunks, like the tobacco was less homogenized before pressing.This is actually kind of nice since pipe clogging can be a problem with the seemingly pulverized consistency of the other C&D krumble kakes.

As noted above, component-wise this has a little something for everybody, and this is evident in the relative complexity (for a C&D English anyway) of this blend. The latakia/perique combination tends to dominate if smoked vigorously, but at a more smoldering pace, the virginias and turkish notes come out more. This is a good blend for those occasions where one has the freedom to really concentrate on the range of available flavors. I would not recommend it to anyone that has an aversion/reaction to perique.

Smoke it slow and feel the glow.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

After taking a hiatus from Latakia over the last few months, I decided to get back to the good stuff. My tobacconist recommended that I give this blend a whirl. I'm glad he did- this is good stuff! Penzance is the blend that I compare all others to, and this blend is right up there with it. While Penzance has a little more Latakia flavor it is not as complex as this one. I love how the burleys have brought a nuttiness to the table. The perique was nice also, although extremely discreet. This tobacco was hard to keep lit, but burned cool all the way down. The crumble cake form is one of my least favorites, but this is negligible in the long run, you just get over it. All in all a smoke I will keep on hand for those cold morning drives to work.

Rev. Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rev. Smoke (18)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

I love krumble cakes, you get to play with the tobacco and try to determine quanities of what types are there. It allows you to savor the rich earthy smell of this blend and the piquant sweetness.

You must like Latakia to smoke this blend, it might help if you love it. However, if you don't, this is a very tantalizing example of how a Latakia dominant blend can be very well-balanced.

This is a great blend, thanks Craig!

If nothing else, the bear on the tin is worth it.

4 out of 5 halos.

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)

I find most C & D blends are sold before their time. This blend goes from a blandish but somewhat flavorful blend to an outstanding flavorful blend in the matter of 4-6 months. The date of blending is on the can and comes usually within 1-2 months of blending. I have found the same with Pirate Kake and Black Dawg, 2 other outstanding blends from C&D. The flavors of the different tobaccos in this blend come through to varying degrees and the toasting really adds a nice side to this blend 4-4.5 stars

Flyersfan_92 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flyersfan_92 (10)
Very Strong None Detected Full Strong

This was my first try at a crumble cake, and i like them, the smell upon opening is different, you can smell the latakia, but it smells like a real strong campfire or some sort of thing. Wonderful smell and texture.

The tobacco crumbled nicely, perfect moisture level and really packed into the pipe. I find that as with most C&D tobacco, you can pack this in pretty tight.

The flavor was outstanding, rich full and satisfying, it tasted alot like it smelled, very balanced neither too spicy nor too sweet, you know you are smoking when you light this up.

This is probably the biggest surprise in my tastings i loved it and it will definately be in my rotation.

Highly reccomended.

Cooksmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cooksmoke (29)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Ahhh, here comes the great wet blanket among these favourable reviews. Much as I love my fellow North Carolinians over at C&D I cannot get into this Twelve Gauge English blend. The cake is beautiful inside that cute little tin. The aroma is earthy, smokey. Not so bad so far. It breaks up nicely for loading in the pipe. The match hits the leaf and the dog breaks his chain. This stuff is harsh to me. It starts that familiar burning in my mouth that I so often find with blends containing a signifigant amount of Turkish. Much as I would like to like this blend I cannot. I shall reserve it for tastes more suited than mine.

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)
Overwhelming None Detected Overwhelming Overwhelming

Bow Legged Bear comes in a very unusual form. It looks as if it was extruded from a tube into crumble cake form. The aroma is overwhelming. The truth is, with the unusual look and overwhelming smell, if I had been handed a piece of this and asked to identify it, I'd have said that it was something a cat left behind. I honestly would not have identified it as pipe tobacco.

In smoking, even I, a confirmed latakia lover, found the taste overwhelming too. I could not complete the bowl. I tried to humidify it some to see if that made a difference and tried it again several days later, but no help.

PuffNStuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PuffNStuff (10)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Holy Moley!!! This blend is like a fresh cup of fine black coffee first thing in the morning! It's flavor is very complex (see the tobacco pedigree listed above), and I detect a nuttiness in the flavor that I really enjoy. It produces thick clouds of billowy white smoke which, in my opinion, a good pipe tobacco should. I experienced no excessive heat, moisture, or bite.

Very satisfying and highly recommended!

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant

This is a nice latakia blend . The flavor is not overly unique , but it smokes very wel . Packs well and lights well and has an even burn rate . It is a pleasure to smoke , not only fo it's flavor , but also for it's easy maintenance and forgiving nature . It does not get overly hot too easily .Highly recommended for the latakia lover who tends to smoke to hot .

LoisKelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoisKelly (55)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

C&D is the brand that I am least familiar with. No great shame there, as they seemingly have hundreds of blends in their portfolio. If only I had better success with the blends I've tried, perhaps I would be a bigger fan and more interested in sampling the entire line, as I have done with McClellands, Pease, Dunhill, Rattray, Esoterica, and others. Don't get me wrong, they are all exceptionally well tooled, and are comprised of top quality leaf. They just leave me wanting something a bit more, at least so far.

Bow Legged Bear is essentially Briar Fox with latakia, and lots of it. It bears the same beautiful shape, and sports just a tad more moisture (both are still too dry). They both yield a very dry cloud of smoke that is a little too cigarettish for my liking. It tastes very good, but I prefer the rounder quality found in Penzance, and a touch more sweetness in the VAs would be welcome. A lot of folks should like this one a lot, but I don't think I'll ever fully fall into that category, as for some reason this blend gives me too many hints of a cheap cigar.

Happy Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Happy Puffer (3)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

In my opinion, Bow-legged Bear is most suited for a certain class of smoker. Most likely the one that smokes aged Virginias as their regular tobacco. BLB has the potential to appeal to nearly everyone except for the cavendish fancier. Consequently, it has equal potential for putting nearly everyone off too. The smorgassboard of ingredients is the source of such a catch 22, but to those of us that absolutely love this blend, it's popularity among the majority doesn't even figure into the equation.

The appearence in the tin is somewhat reminiscent of the season old mulch one scrapes off the bottom of their lawnmower. But that's not what we smoke for anyway. And the aroma in the tin would have to be described as somewhat unappealing. But once you've filled your bowl, which by the way is as fun as it is easy, and you set this concoction to flame, wham! This is by no means a weak blend. The first thing I notice is the latakia; tangy, smooth, and biteless. But the latakia soon starts taking a bit of a bow to the other tobaccos, and one starts noticing the perique, virginias, and turkish in turn wafting in and out through the first half of the bowl. A nutty, almost warm aroma is preasent throughout, but it's the turkish that dominates through the last half of the bowl. The perique to me seems to be a tad defiscient, and would be the only improvement I would recommend. As for nicotine content, fear not. If you are one of the nicotine dependent among us, then BLB would definitely do the trick for you. Although this is a calm, cool, and well rounded blend with pronounced high and low notes, it is truly not for everyone. But, if it's tobacco you love, and strength is an attribute for you, then I'd say give it a try. This may be on your top five list.

Joe Patterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joe Patterson (48)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Yikes, that only thing missing in this blend is the kitchen sink! I like the complexity, strength, flavor and even the tin art. I especially enjoy the flavor resulting from stoving the blend brings out in the VA and Perique. I've smoked this blend only crumbling a slight amount and rubbing it out completely -- let me say that my experiences with the latter have been better. Leaving big chunks often slows burning to the point of going out and having many relights. Very good again C&D!

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I really wanted to like this blend but unfortunately the perique in it made my allergies go crazy. I forced myself to at least try three bowls of it before reviewing so here goes: Ah, crumble cake! This looked promising. Crumbled easily, packed easily, lit easily. The perique immediately made its prescence known!!! argh!!! I forced myself to concentrate, the complexity of this blend was good, with a nice interplay as you smoke down the bowl. Close to end of the bowl the perique finally settles down and there is a nice rich smokiness that I love. The ash has a grey mottled appearance, no dottle, no tongue-bite. A little more nicotine kick than I care for. In ending, this is overall good blend but the perique makes me work too hard to enjoy. I much prefer "Longevity" for a crumble cake blend, or "Midnight Ride" for a blend with Perique that does not trigger my allergies. Ciao!

Elcid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elcid (16)
Strong None Detected Full Overwhelming

Boy, I was looking forward to trying BLB, as I really enjoy the full English blends from C&D, like Pirate Kake and Engine 99.

BLB smells wonderful in the pouch -- earthy and with strong cocoa overtones. Packs well. Then things go downhill. Whether I left it out to dry or not, it is hard to light. The char light causes whiffs of smoke that smell unpleasantly like cigarette tobacco. I expected some Latakia notes, but something else just overpowers it. Not perique -- maybe the VAs tussling against the other ingredients. It all left my throat a bit dry and scratchy.

Perhaps my friends that like VAs better will like this, but I can't recommend it.