A sublime experience. Perique and Virginias exquisitely flavored with rum and peach for long lasting pleasure.

Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
Taste
Westham1969 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Westham1969 (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

The first whiff of this blend took me back to when I was a child and I would visit my relatives and would always go to the general store down their road. It has a rustic, if not a bit musty smell, that is actually pleasant. Nothing pretentious or fancy, and as the name implies, a blend that would take you on a quick trip in the Appalachian Mountains.

VINNY Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
VINNY (1)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I'm mostly an english blend smoker, along with a few airomatics thrown in after dinner and for change of pace, but I tried this from the local smoke shop on recomendation of an acquaintance. Maybe I'm spoiled by my better, favorite McClelland blends, or maybe I have no taste or appreciation for perique, but this ranks as some of the worst pipe tobacco I've tried yet. Flavorless, hot, dry and irritating, gave it 3 different tries and couldnet even make it through a bowl. My first and continuing impression, made me think I scooped up some shavings from the wood shop and put match to it. I detected no rich tobacco or added peach flavoring, just an overpowering sensation I was smoking dry wood with maybe a few of last fall's leaves thrown in.

With the new tax looming and a desire to try something new, I ended up buying a full pound of this on a whim, instead of the 2oz sample I should have. I'll try it again in a few weeks, but I believe the results will be the same and I cant even imagin being able to blend this with something to salvage the pound I bought and make it smokable.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The rum and peach are vaguely present in the pouch aroma but not in the smoke - for me anyway. This is NOT and aromatic by my standards. More natural tobacco flavor than anything according to my tatstes.

However, I think the flavorings do add some desireable sweetness to this rustic blend - very much like the Appalachian Trail itself where I have hiked on several occasions.

There is strength here from the VAs and the Perique is balanced nicely. I also think there is a decent portion of burley mixed in.

Just dry enough to pack and burn well - even a little fast at times. No obvious humectants --- a HUGE + in my book!

Not bad Altadis - I would buy this again - a good tobacco to "keep in my truck" for any old occasion without being fancy or pretentious.

3 stars ~+~+~+~

ToboldHornblower Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ToboldHornblower (15)

Real tobacco taste in an aromatic. It doesn't really taste like peach to me but it does have a fruity aroma and taste that is not too sweet. The casing shows up more in the aroma than in the taste. A good change of pace blend which beginners looking to move up a step to something stronger may enjoy.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (138)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I found this blend to be harsh upon lighting, but it smooths out considerably after that. The taste is very pleasant, but I wasn't impresssed with the quality of the Virginias, which irritated my throat. The perique is used sparingly and the rum-peach casing does not overtake the tobacco flavor. I will not be ordering this again, but I'll probably finish my sample.

update: It is now evening and I have smoked two more bowls of this tobacco. I feel I was too harsh on this blend. Maybe it was because I usually don't enjoy my first bowl until after 5pm. I have found succeeding bowls to be very tasty indeed. That is why I'm giving this blend three stars. I guess certain blends are better at different times of the day. This one is obviously an after dinner smoke.

Update Nov.7/05 My first impression proved to be correct. This tobacco is very rough on the throat. I think they put too much perique in this blend. I will not be ordering more.

A relatively unusual mixture...an Aromatic with big tobacco flavor. Well worth a try on that alone. The sweetening agent however, tastes more like a cherry cordial than rum and peach as in the description. Must like it sweet! Not a bit sticky and burned very well. This blend also packs a pretty good punch! As an Aromatic with a full tobacco taste, highly recommended!