After sixty-five years of experimenting with our taste buds and listening to our customers' cravings and needs, we are proud to present a unique Virginia flake to be added to our selection of tobacco blends.

BrandSmokers' Haven
Taste
2.5
runswithdogs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
runswithdogs (22)

Well, it is surprising to see only one other review of this blend. RCUSElder observed in 2005 that with age this would be a fine blend. So, here I am in 2018 reviewing my tin of this tobacco that is now 13 years old. When I opened the tin, I was greeted by mahogany flakes full of sugar crystals and a fruity aroma of raisins and figs, as well as spice. After rubbing it out ( this was more of a broken flake in presentation), I fired her up, sat down with a good book and worked my way thru a couple bowls. If you enjoy McClelland Virginias, you will certainly enjoy this blend. Aging, as with all Virginias, only improves the tobacco, and it sure made for a nice presentation. Mild nic hit, pleasant room note, a little spicieness, all made for a fine smoke. Do I think it’s on par with the best aged Virginias I have sampled (McCranies 1983, REALLY old #27, REALLY old Blackwood)? No, but it is still a fine tobacco I look forward to working my way through. Something is missing here, which is why I gave it three stars instead of four. I think, from a purely personal perspective, I prefer sweeter, creamier matured reds over this blend. Regardless, recommended if you can lay your hands on a tin of this well aged Virginia.

Pipe Used: J.Alan Tomato, Former Bent Egg

Age When Smoked: 13 Years old

I have a lot of respect for the SH blends and many of their blends are among my top ten go to blends, but this one is still a toss up.

Appearance and Tin Aroma: 3/4" by 1 1/4" flakes in the tin that are mostly mohagany colored with some stripes of golden VA interspersed. It smells like a typical VA from McClelland, the tin aroma reminds me much of the "Christmas Cheer" series.

Packing and Lighting: The flakes are moist, so I suggest airing out what you will smoke. Rubbing out fully seemed to work best in order for decent burning. 4-5 five lights to get going.

Initial Flavor: Very much like fresh "Christmas Cheer" Lots of Red VA flavor, clovey and spicy too.

Mid-Bowl: Could not get this blend in the zone, too spicy. Red Va is still prominent flavor.

Bottom of Bowl: Rounds out a bit, but still too many of the high flavor notes. Leaves quite a bit of moisture at the bottom and the shank when done.

Overall: This blend needs age!!! I can tell that it will develop into a very tasty blend once the sharpness mellows with age. It does taste very much like the "Christmas Cheer" series by MC so I don't think I will be purchasing anymore for now. Not really a bell ringer for this piper. After my last tin ages for a few years, I will revisit this blend and see what happens...