A variety of Virginias for sweetness and spice, with enough Oriental to add to the brightness of the flavor and aroma, plus a healthy amount of a few types of Latakia, Admiralty is perfect for an early evening pipe with and after-dinner beverage. Try this one in a larger pipe, packed firmly, since it burns readily.

BrandHearth & Home
Taste

3.1
Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (39)

Bulk Blend Smack Down: This is a fantastic bulk buy! What stands out about this is that the Price point is a steal! Yes it is similar to many English blends, but you can purchase at a bulk price and yes it is VERY tasty. For roughly 2.30/oz you're getting a smoke that rivals many 4.00+/oz tins. With a little age...vavoom! Mine came pretty dry but it was a very lite buttery and soft latakia smoke. This would work as a morning smoke for me. Complexity was surprising, leather, coffee, dark woods, sweet!

Big Blue Jazzman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Blue Jazzman (32)

Admiralty is my choice for the best medium English tobacco out there in today's market.I can't say enough good things about this blend. The taste is fantastic, it burns cool, it's a blend I liked the from the first puff. The tobacco's play well together and burn to a fine gray ash. If you're looking for a great English blend of medium character this is one you should try! TOP NOTCH!

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (51)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

I love several Hearth and Home blends and I think Russ O. is one of America's top blenders, what he can do with what he has available to him is nothing short of phenomenal. This blend just missed it for me. I was looking for a faster burning blend that was mild to med. for this summer. However, this blend just seems to be lacking a lot. It looks beautiful and has this great creamy smell in the tin and I do get that creaminess in retrohaling. Lat. is there but not dominating, which I like too but the overall taste was just very mild, almost flat but not quite that bad. I just could not get all the flavor profile that I thought would be present in this blend. This one just missed for my taste. Still worth a try if you are looking for a mild English blend.

Another solid English offering from the folks at Pipes and Cigars. I agree with most of the tin description in that Admiralty is a balenced all day smoke. It arrives, like many of the P&C blends, on the dry side and that's a good thing. I wouldn't call this an Oriental blend, but the Oriental flavor does seem to rise a bit above the rest of the pack in this blend. Admirality is not a nicotine powerhouse so those that have an aversion to the "lady" with enjoy this blend. Available in bulk, the price is nice for a quality English. As for the Dunhill flavor comparision, I really don't see the connection. It would be stretching it, but maybe closest to Standard Mixture Medium in taste. It really doesn't matter anyway as this blend stands tall on its own. Recommended.

Lombard65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lombard65 (48)

The curiosity of finding something like the old Dunhill line, I was induced to buy 4 oz. to 4Noggins. This mixture is fantastic, an Oriental sweet smoked. Yes, there is something resembling the old Dunhill line, in any event for lovers of mixtures not too full, is try it! Great job Russ!

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (57)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

The orientals are very pronounce, the latakia is o.k. the sweetness of the virginias shine through rescuing this blend from been a one star rating from me it takes a lot of relights for no matter what kind packing technique I use although it sings better for me in a meerschaum, this one was let down for me.

AKSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AKSmoke (18)

I managed to get a few tins of this, rather than the bulk. I found the bulk good, and when tins were offered I snatched a few up. The tinned version is much much better. I do hope they'll tin more, because otherwise I can't say I'll get more. Bulk-3 star, tinned, nearly 4 star.

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)

This is an okay tobacco reminding me of many others of the medium English type. Nothing really stands out to me or makes me want to give up any of my C&D all day English blends. I found some bitterness in the four ounces I sampled which was not pleasing to me, but perhaps that is you cup of tea as I see the other reviews for this blend have been pretty high. Can't say the quality here reminds me of anything in the old Dunhill line.

dtboomer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dtboomer (6)

I was trying english blends at Chicago and Russ recommended this one. I tried a bowl and took two tins home with me.

You need to dry it a little to insure good burning once dry it burned well to the bottom of the bowl. The taste is good medium english, with just a hint of latakia. I think this would have been better if I would have cellered it a while and allow the tobacco's to meld and age. I may pick up a couple more tins and do just that. ___________________________________________________________________ UPDATE

After smoking three tins I want to say this is an excellent english blend. There is a sweetness I didn't find at first that makes it different than other mild english blends. I think that this will be my go to smoke.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Well variegated array of colors in a ribbin cut. Ribbons are varied length, neither too long nor too short. Aroma: Definitely an English blend. Virginia based with fair amounts of Oriental and Latakia (Cyprian)

Packing: Packs easily into any size bowl.

Lighting: When aired out a bit, lights easily for me. Otherwise, just a little slow to get going. Since I like my tobacco drier than some, it may be just right for others.

Initial flavor: Just as described, this is similar to an older Dunhill blend, namely the original Early Morning Pipe . Not a ?mild? blend by any means, there is considerable depth of flavor contributed by the condimental leaf.

Mid-bowl: Nice interplay between the Virginia sweetness and the slightly smoky and spicy additions. Good balance between the elements, nothing dominates. Finish: Like many bulk tobaccos, there seems to be some PG present. As a result, I have to relight several times at the bottom. Otherwise, the flavor holds well all the way down.

Summary: A very pleasant English blend, possibly an all-day smoker for many.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)

This is another blend of Russ's that's prompted me to stash pounds of in my cellar. Yes, it does have the presence of older Dunhill blends, but provides what I believe to be a smoother smoking experience. Is it stellar? I think not, which is not to say that it is somehow lacking. I do think changing the cut to one more coarse, could turn the Oriental's contribution up a bit. It seems to me that the blender's hand was prone to balance rather than provision of a stage for some dynamic leaf to perform on. Make no mistake, this is certainly a complex blend - not from overpopulation of elements but from harmony as is demonstrated in a number of enduring English blends. I wonder what pressing would do here? There is no problem for me to recommend this blend to others.

Meerschaum Man Smoking a Gezer Flying Dragon

Elkabong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elkabong (11)

I purchased a six pack of samples from my favorite web site, pipesandcigars.com, figuring I should support them. As usual, I stuck with the English type blends. One of the problems with this sort of trial is that smoking similar blends lends to confusion, tastes flowing together. I puposefully chose to smoke one two ounce sample bag all the way through, before trying the others.

This was one of my favorites, although I had a large time trying to keep pipes full of it lit. This was true of all the pipesandcigars.com blends, frankly.

Just nothing to write home about. I don't think I'll give up 965 or Early morning for these, although I buy those at their site, too (damned taxes in Virginia!) so they shouldn't notice the loss in business.

rkzenrage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rkzenrage (17)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of my favorite blends now that I have had some time to smoke Hearth and Home blends for a while. It is multi-dimensional, full flavored and just delicious. I know I usually go on and on about specifics but that won?t work with this one; it has a great way of being what ?it is? for each smoker I have noticed from the several people I have given samples to. I give good sized samples, so they have plenty to smoke and each have really liked it, but have loved different things about it, curious and very nice.

The absolutely wonderful Latakia is full and ?woodsy? but not raw in any way, it is smooth and complimented beautifully with the other components of this balanced blend. The Va?s in this blend hold their own with the Latakia. The description from Russ is perfect and better than what I would have to say ?A variety of Virginias for sweetness and spice, with enough Oriental to add to the brightness of the flavor and aroma,?. I agree and love the advice to ?Try this one in a larger pipe, packed firmly, since it burns readily? though I have experimented with a few different pipe sizes and packs and found it to be a very nimble blend.

One of the things I have found with a lot of the stronger Balkans is that they will get a bit flat, one-dimensional or somewhat sweet (not in the good Va? way) after smoking them for a while. This does not do that, it offers a unique and growing smoking experience each and every time with the ability to change the smoke with packs and pipes if you like or an ol? faithful great smoke each time that is not a one-note wonder.

Having gone through a recent three month trading spree, this being one of those I traded heavily with Balkan lovers, I have not found anyone to did not enjoy this smoke and cannot recommend this blend highly enough. Namaste'

This is a real classic and classy blend. It's much clearer than the other English Mixtures by Russ Ouellette, obviously indicating less latakia content. Upon opening the bulk, it really looks and smells like a fine Dunhill blend, the ones they used to do years ago; it's perfectly balanced and one of the best, if not the very best, all-day tobacco I've tried in the past few years. A great surprise.