Latakia and Turkish are added to the Navy cavendish which forms the base for Blockade Runner (Virginias soaked and aged in rum) to produce a true Royal Navy blend.

Pressed and sliced into an old-fashioned crumble cake. A Royal Navy blend, not for the faint of heart.

Blended ByCraig Tarler
Blend TypeOther
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish
FlavoringRum
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging50 grams tin, 8 ounce tin
Strength
Taste
Full

3.1
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Rummy and Yummy. A very tasty blend. Complex and satisfying. There aren't many blends that contain Black Cavendish that I like, but this is one of them. Must be the rum. Yum.

UPDATE: 10/30/2013 Upgrading from 3 to 4 stars. This flavor has really grown on me. So much so that it has almost become a necessity. I love this blend.

Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

Cornell & Diehl - Black Frigate. One of the most satisfying smoke's I've ever had.

The tin contains one big chunk of krumble kake, slightly moist but smokeable straight away. The aroma from the tin, to me, is suggestive of a large amount of Latakia and Oriental's with very little topping. That, however, is a point that'll require smoking for verification.

The kake is easy to crumble (as you'd expect) but there's about a pipe full in a freshly opened tin that's already broken away from the kake. I just used that for my first bowl; first of many!

I knew this was one for me the moment I took my first puff; the smoke met with the aroma's suggestion of taste perfectly; there seems to be only a small amount of rum, and a tiny amount of Black Cavendish. The majority of the flavour is taken up by the Orientals and Latakia. The Latakia isn't really smoky, it's quite woody and earthy. I get none of the 'harshness' that I often get from Latakia; it has a great smoothness to it.

As I said, the rum seems to have been added lightly. That doesn't mean it goes by unnoticed, I can easily identify it but it's not over the top with gloop or too alcoholic. Mild to medium would seem fair, but to become medium necessitates quite big puffs.

The nicotine sits at dead on medium. I get along with this quantity perfectly.

Black Frigate is a definite four star blend:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Fuoco 320 KS

Purchased From: Gauntleys

The good Rev. Rizzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The good Rev. Rizzo (36)
Medium to Strong Mild Very Full Tolerable

Is there really this much going on there? Yes, yes and yes!

The tin note is deceptive. Sweet yet still possessing that real English tang. It's a very comforting warm kind of smell. It breaks nicely and is easy enough to load in a large bowl pipe. I found the blend amazingly complex. The taste almost seems to tweak a bit with each tamp. It has a nutty and creamy base but takes on more. I can't really describe it well enough. But whatever it is I absolutely love it. I will be ordering this in a serious quantity. I'd love to age a bundle of this stuff and be assured I'll have plenty for the long haul. If you like a very outside the box smoking experience please give this a try.

Pipe Used: Peterson Meerschaum 106 P-Lip

Purchased From: Allegheny Smokeworks

Despite its name, this is not an overwhelming Latakia blend. Rather than a smoky Latakia flavor, you will receive a Navy Cavandish taste that makes its presence known early on. This blend exhibits signs of being a krumble cake as you withdraw it from the tin, but the chunks are larger than most of the same genre tobaccos.

Black Frigate has a huge range of flavors and it is easy to see why this one remains a favorite and big seller in the C&D line-up after all these years.

Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The lightly smoky, rather woody, musty sweet Cyprian latakia plays an important support role at times, and other times, almost leads the sweet, smooth rum soaked, dark fruity, earthy, light grassy, lightly citrusy Virginia cavendish. The rum Virginias lead the experience. The floral, woody, earthy, herbal, dry Turkish almost reaches secondary status. The rum does tone down the tobaccos, and mutes the smokiness one usually expects from the latakia and Turkish. The strength barely hits the medium threshold, while the taste is a step past the medium mark. The nic-hit is a little closer to medium than it is to mild. No chance of bite, and has no rough edges or harshness. I do suggest a light dry time for this blend. Being a krumble kake, it burns slow, cool, and clean with a small inconsistency in its rich, sweet and mildly savory flavor. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. Has a lingering after taste that matches the aforementioned flavors. Not an all day smoke, but the veteran smoker will repeat it more than once if fits that person’s personal preference. It tends to be a product that grows on you. Three and a half stars.

jimyfafy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jimyfafy (10)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Very Strong

Not much to add.Mr Tarler created a tobacco for the ages! Old woman HATES the smell.This confirms that I,m going to keep her out of the garage for the forseable future. I can,t stop smoking this blend!

Pipe Used: Brigham 2005 pipe of the year

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Similar Blends: Stands alone.

MarkTheLad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MarkTheLad (29)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

Upon receiving this tin, I opened it up straight away. Tin Note is delicious, sweet, rummy, leathery and smoky. I thought if it smokes as well as it smells, then I'm in for a real treat. Charring light, I tasted the rum and smokiness of the latakia, plus a hint of some sweetness. Further down, the rum and the sweetness stayed with me until the last 1/4 of the bowl and then the smokiness prevailed. It smoked nice and smooth throughout the first 3/4, the rum was very light, but definitely present. It also had a nutty creaminess to it that was very nice. The nic hit was about medium, right where I like it to be and the bowl seemed to get stronger towards the bottom. This was a beautiful smoke. I will continue to smoke this blend in probably in a few different pipes, just to see how it behaves. This blend definitely makes it into my regular rotation. Overall this was a great smoke, I'm a fan!

Pipe Used: Big Ben Olympic 542 Bent Ball

Age When Smoked: Just received

Purchased From: P&C

jedibastard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jedibastard (24)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

I really am impressed, and really enjoy this blend! I had no clue what to think when i popped that tin. I got a whiff of burnt wood with some sweetness, what i imagined smelt like if smoke could catch fire, and 3 week old socks. I had no clue what to think. When i lit it, i was greeted with this really enjoyable sweet aroma with quite a bit of leathery tanginess. I was really really impressed. Flavor stayed the same throughout the bowl, which i really liked. But every here and there, a little bit of vitamin N says hi! Nothing major, but it can get strong if pushed/puffed to hard. I still cant detect or notice any rum in there. Maybe thats why its a tad sweet? I dont really know what else to say about this tobacco. Its really good. But easily forgetable. Which is kinda rad, because ill be deciding what to smoke and this guy is hiding way in the back, and ill realize i forgot i had this for over a year just sitting there. Time does this blend some good. I forgot about this for almost 3yrs, due to buying and trying new stuff. And noticed every flavor profile has just balanced out and gets along with each other. Grab a tin or 2 for yourself.....you wont be upset, especially if you let one sit for a few years.

Pipe Used: Ben Wade poker

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the tin/5yrs

Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

I got to go against the crowd on this one , or maybe agree with reviewer, " Haredawg ,2007-03-09". I just can't get into a strong Latakia with a topping, even Rum. To me, it just ruins the natural smokiness of the Latakia and produces a very strange taste. I can't even distinguish the other tobaccos in this blend and it ends up tasting like a topped drug store Burley. Yes, it's strong, but not in a good way. Reminds me of smoking a "Wolf Brothers Rum soaked "Crooks" cigar" from thirty years ago!

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: one year

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Sweet through and through, with a palpable rum flavor that imbues the entire pipeful. The rum adds plenty of nuance as well as a powerful musty aroma that easily matches the heady scent of the Latakia. The spicy Turkish creates a layer complexity that arrives once the bowl gets going. The Virginia Cavendish is mild and adds support to the overall gentle sweetness of the smoke. The taste of Black Frigate is substantial, and the smoke it produces is smooth, full in body and fairly pungent to the senses. Mid to end bowl flavors are sturdy and rich and are pretty much on par with any of Cornell & Diehl’s bigger English mixtures. Unique and well crafted.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Meh...I just taste a flat sub-par very Latakia forward blend, with a whisper of rum. I wish that I could find the joy in this that so many others seem to, but it tasted so one dimensionally of Cyrprian Latakia to me, that I lost interest less than halfway into my first bowlful. I smoked...or rather made myself smoke half of the tin that I had purchased, trying to find this glorious flavor that many others have found, but Black Frigate just isn't for me. G.L. Peases' Sextant is much, much better in the rum topped/Navy English category for those looking for something with actual complexity and body.

Pipe Used: Various

ATW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ATW (45)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Tolerable

Not a fan of this. The rum topping just makes it smell and taste rotten. I would give it away if I could. Just not for me

bence Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bence (34)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

A must try for the latakia lovers. Very complex baccy.

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)
Strong Strong Full Pleasant

Black Frigate is easily in my "top 5" of favorite blends. In addition to the usual smokiness one gets from the latakia, it has a wonderfully "sharp" almost salty taste to the smoke that I can't get enough of. You can definitely pick up the rum in the tin note as well.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (80)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Strong

What an interesting tobacco!! When I opened the little tin and saw a small black brick of tobacco, my first thought was: "oh-oh, what I am I gonna do with this?" Well after some playing around I loaded up one of my latakia pipes, opened several windows and put the phone within reach, in case I needed to call 911. It is always a little tough to get lit, taking several lighting and tampings. Once lit, however, the actual smoking was less dramatic than expected. It's a full, rich smoke and yet I don't feel overpowered with flavor. Even though I have moments of latakia phobia, I found this to be just mellow enough (probably the cavendish) to make it work. I can't imagine this being a daily smoke, but as an occasional change of pace, it's an enjoyable, relaxing and fun smoke. Worth a look.

FreePancakesForAll Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FreePancakesForAll (10)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

Odds are good this one will become a regular.

Black Frigate is a rum-soaked, virginia-based cavendish with a perfect balance of latakia and turkish tobaccos added. There’s a lot of flavors going on in this blend, from the up-front rum and cavendish to a light floral smokiness and sweet earthiness.

Like most C&D blends, moisture content is ready to smoke from the moment you crack the seal. If you like how C&D blends and presses then there’s no reason why you wouldn’t enjoy this!

Pipe Used: Nording Freehand

CarolinaEsquire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CarolinaEsquire (13)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This was an interesting one.

I don't usually gravitate to the rum flavored blends. They are often over the top with flavoring. Not that I don't like aromatics, but rum isn't always for me. But this one promised something different -- especially since it had Latakia and other leaves. And different it was.

The rum flavoring was present, but not over the top. Not by a long shot. It added a certain sweetness to the blend. If I didn't know it was there, I'm not even sure I would have known it was supposed to be rum. Just a nice sweetness. However, I found the rest of the experience to be lacking a bit. While the smoke was full, to say that it was harsh is not correct, but it also wasn't smooth either. Had some definite rough edges to it. I'm letting it age a bit more in a pint jar, but that has some concerns too because this one was already really dry. Normally, I like my pipe tobacco on the dryer side, but this was brittle dry and crumbling from the cake. Now, I know this is supposed to be a crumble cake, but I want to be in control of how it crumbles and not just have it falling apart on me because it's so brittle. I'm hoping that this was just an odd tin because I bought a few more to cellar as part of this purchase. Either way, it was a decent smoke, just not great for me.

I bet age will help round out those edges. If it does, I'll come back and update it to bump it up to 3 stars. It's close now, but just a hair under.

Age When Smoked: 2 months and then a month after being jarred.

Chris TC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chris TC (2)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

The best blend I have tried to date. A little hard to get going but I closed my eyes and the smell took me to the gun deck of HMS Victory, old rope, tar and a feint whiff of rum. The taste is complex with nutty notes and an almost smoky meaty after taste. I felt it was quite a strong smoke and very relaxing after a stressful day. I married it with special reserve ale.

Pipe Used: Dagner Black Dublin

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Very much licked this one. Some, or more, perique would held. It reminds a little of Seattle Pipe club plum pudding. Overall, very nice. The smoke is very creamy.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (47)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I didn?t dislike this tobacco and will probably eventually smoke the whole tin, but I was expecting something more, well, refined. Opening the tin it smells like a Mars Bar thrown into a bonfire. I don?t think I?ve smoked a heavy latakia that was so sweet. It?s not really a good combination. I think this is a well made tobacco with quality components and tastes exactly how C&D intended it too, I just don?t agree with the taste. If I were to compare it to one of my regular latakia smokes, Penzance or Germains Special latakia flake, it would pale by comparison; in fact it?s not really a fair comparison as Black Frigate is closer to an aromatic. However, the price on the tin was premium, in fact spendier than either the Esoterica or the Germains. I?ll give it two stars for effort and respect for Cornell and Diehl and I won?t toss it in with the coffee grounds and eggshells, but I?m thinking it?s going to take a while to smoke it and I might cuss a bit doing it.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (265)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Gentleman Zombie's description is very aptly expressed: "Rummy and Yummy!". In the tin, whose design I find very well done, a 2oz brick of fine tobacco awaits you. The tin note is rummy, fruity and sweet. But also smoky and spicy - really intriguing! The Kake consists of lively colored tobaccos, ranging from bright to reddish and brown to pitch-black. The amount of Latakia is moderate and doesn't dominate the smoke too much.

Easy handling, and after a short drying period the tobacco burns excellently.

From the first puff on there's rummy, spicy and smoky aroma dominating the smoking experience. The rum has a mildly and natural alcoholic taste to it, without being obtrusive. It has this slight fruit and hot spices tenor to it. I'm not the biggest fan of Cavendish, but this 'Navy Cavendish' is very appealing and feels like its made with natural components and no artificial flavors. I don't drink alcoholic drinks, but it pairs so darn well with tobacco! The Latakia offers its signature smokiness, as well as some woodsy and leathery and butter-creamy notes. The Orientals have a pleasantly dry, sharp edge to it and add a charming ethereal component to the smoke that pairs excellently with the other components.

A very balanced and well-thought-out blend. It just works! From the intriguing tin design, over the well crafted Kake to the excellent flavors...Black Frigate truly is a special treat for both the lover of Navy-styled tobaccos and Latakia blends. Using real rum instead of artificial flavorings makes for a natural blend. This isn't a Lat-Bomb, it's in perfect harmony and each component gets its share of the cake.. or shall I say KAKE?! ;-)

Update: This is becoming one of my most favorite blends... can't get enough of it! I just wish C&D blends were easier obtainable in Europe and Germany...I can't put this down, I'll order more asap! Update2: My 2nd tin also went empty in record-time...just super-love this tobacco, one of the best, if not THE best blend for my personal taste, this is superb!

Pipe Used: Clays, Cobs, Briars, Morta, Meerschaum

JP Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JP Pipe (2)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Black Frigate is a special blend for me. It's the first C&D blend that I can stand to smoke under their own label. I've given up on the number of C&D blends I've tried and never finished the bowl! This was a pleasant surprise!

BF is a "change-of-pace" blend. It's a good and interesting bridge from a morning VA to something heavier in the afternoon/evening. That said there's a LOT going on the flavor department.

Not a blend to relax with, it's something that kept my interest with changing flavors, latakia, virginia with notes of rum it's never ever boring with something always going on and changing throughout the bowl.

Interesting yes, but I'm not sold on getting my own tin, as my trial tin was gifted to me by a fellow pipe-club member.

Certainly worth a try, but it helps to be in a mood for a flavor bonanza, so it's not a blend for me to relax with after a hard day.

Pipe Used: Corncob, PS Studio Briar, Ashton Billiard

Purchased From: Gift

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (69)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Extremely tasteful smoke, the navy cavendish is soaked in the same rum used by C&D also for other memorable blends (like in the Simply Elegants serie). Crumble cake easy to cut, and the smoke is perfect to ashes with not a single relight. Lastful, complex smoke, quite strong for me and tends to bite a little bit also. I cant feel much latakia (but I am used to smoke 50% blends like Da Vinci with latakia, so no surprise), and whatever is inside does blend wonderfully. I am not using the pipe for latakias, nor the pipe for virginias : I feel this one deserves its own bowl. The only problem with this blend is that there is too much rum in my opinion, and the result is quite overwhelming. The samuel gawith's Navy Flake is just much better.

Update: just too much rum, the tobacco is literally soaked into it.

Pipe Used: Peterson St Patrick's day 6

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: Dubini, Chiasso Switzerland

Similar Blends: SG Navy Flake.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I can't taste any rum here. True, my tin is a rusty Ebay acquisition most likely from the end of the last century. The tobacco has held up in the little sealed plastic bag C&D used to use, but it's pretty dry. The Latakia stands out so much that I can't really tell what the nature of the cavendish is. Is there any burley in here? Or is it Virginia cavendish? Maybe I will have a better idea when I have smoked a few more bowls. This is to me a full yet not overwhelming English. My first samplings have left the roof of my mouth a little roasted, but I have been hitting the pipe rather hard in the last few days. It may be that when I cut down on smoking and smoke a small bowl of this-slowly, it will be more kind to me.

That said, it did not torture me too much, and has a nice flavor. I get more complexity from Dunhill Durbar (new version; that's all I've tried), but when I have had time to experiment with different pipes and techniques for smoking this particular weed, I will update with any further epiphanies. Presentation is perfect: while C&D has some trouble with flakes (consistency), their crumble cakes are marvelous. I wish they would use the classic-style tins which age so well for their products-seems they could afford to given the prices they charge, because their old metal tins don't seal well and the cat-food type containers don't quite cut it as well. Oh well.

I smoked the first bowl in a Marxman Jumbo, and that was a bit over the top, though this tobacco could work in a large bowl. I had more success in my little Jobey Stromboli 200, as this pipe calmed down the mouth-bite. I really sensed more of the Turkish in the Jobey as well. I still can't taste the rum, but the cavendish must be Virginia based, not burley. As the first reviewer of this blend noted back in 2002, flavors are not complex at first, but "build to a crescendo" in the last third of the bowl.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

While this is not one of my favorites, it is still a pretty yummy blend. My tin was dated 1-03 so it has some age to it. Upon opening the tin, you are greeted by a small dark brick. The tin aroma is of a navy cavendish with rum , of course, but you can also smell latakia and a wee bit o' turkish. Moisture is pretty dry for this type of blend. Packing must be done with care to get the most of this blend. I have found that you must crumble well (I use the tin lid for this) and then lightly sprinkle in the bowl (bigger bowls are better for this blend), then lightly tamp. If you do that, lighting is a breeze and you probably can smoke it to the bottom with a few gentle tamps along the way. Initial flavor is sweet and rummy. It changes to a sweet, smoky, and mellow flavor about mid-bowl. The turkish raises its head at the last third of the bowl. This blend is really not that complex, but it gives you a predictable smooth ride to the end, good for when putterring around the garage or backyard. With that in mind, you may enjoy this blend (I sure do).Also, keep in mind that the nic is a little higher in this blend, but it doesn't kick you all of a sudden, rather, it creeps up on you (eat first!).Rating 3 out of 5 points. Enjoy...