Nutty sweet Burleys are combined with the mild spice of red Virginia, two natural toasted black cavendishes, and a bit of a vanilla-based steamed Black Cavendish. This mild, cool blend delivers real tobacco flavor with a hint of sweetness, and a pleasant, unobtrusive aroma.

BrandHearth & Home
2.0
Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

GK has a great aroma in the pouch but falls short in the bowl. It didn?t offer much taste and what taste I could extract was not to my liking. Burning on the hot side, it also nipped a bit. This is one of the few sample blends that I could not finish. In short, there are too many cooks in this Grandma?s Kitchen????..or is that not enough cooks in this Grandma?s Kitchen? No one bats 1000%. P&C has many other blends that are much better.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 3.0 out of 10.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

A cheap butterscotch sundae. Very dry, hot and will certainly nip your tongue even if you smoke slowly. If you wish to savor indulgent dessert aromatics, divert your attention to Wilke's Bohemian or the Three Star Buttered Rum Cordial.

Two of five stars

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This blend smells very well in the bag. Once ignited, it disappears. I am not sure what Russ Ouellette's grandma used to cook in her kitchen. Judging from this blend, all she did was boil water. There is something there, but it is indistinct. Good leaf, however, and it doesn't bite.

Too bad, because I am very partial to burley, cavendish and virginia blends, such as Pegasus. I was thinking this might be a kind of aromatic Pegasus, but no such luck.

Will keep trying it in different pipes.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)

Previous review has it spot on. I got a bit of a bite, a slight chemical taste not uncommon for aromatics, and didn't really find it all that remarkable. Similar in my mind to Uhle's Hunt Club. I am not a big aromatic fan, but definitely have smoked better aromatic blends.

Novangelus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Novangelus (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I do not seem to like many aromatics or I perhaps would have given this one a slightly higher recommendation. As other reviewers have said, it is good but not remarkable. I probably will not reorder. That said it does have a bite. I smoked it slow and still had a pretty warm palate.

Also, do NOT pair this with Sam Adams Summer Ale - something about the mix of flavors did neither any good. Perhaps a darker beer would be better, or a Coke.

Overall I rate this good but not great. Nice flavors but not exceptional. The burn/bite tips the scales away from a future retry. I find most of the Boswell blends of this type of aromatic better.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)

"Grandma's Underpants" would have been a more accurate description of this blend. This time, Russ just didn't hit the mark. It's harsh, bitey and does not taste good at all. I regret purchasing it.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Medium Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

update good nutty burley just over priced for what it is.

UPDATE 12/17/11 STILL as good as ever TRY IT

Ok here is the deal. If you Like Granger you will like this blend. GMK is Just a bit sweeter then Granger. The burley is up front the Black Cavendish is there to mellow the blend and the Virgina also helps keep it a bit sweet. Now the name thing again Russ, When Russ thought of the name he was most likely thinkng of his grandfather sitting in his grandmother's kitchen smoking somthing like Granger or Raleigh on a Sunday evening. With a hint of his Grandmother baking something. The mix of aromas if you can imagine is great. Great blend for the burley smoker wanting somthing just a bit sweeter Will add to my rotation list. Or when I run out of Granger

Psyktek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Psyktek (20)

Perhaps this blend has changed since the last reviews back in '07. I found this to be a very enjoyable aromatic, not overwhelming like some. As far as the "hot, bitey.." complaint that was mentioned frequently, I think that H & H has found a way to tame this. Easily lit, nice burn, generous smoke and a continuing flavor thru the bowl. I'm not sure what Grandma was cooking, but this is a blend worth trying if you like an occasional aromatic that doesn't smell or taste like a room deodorizer.

Indian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Indian (13)

Pros-As stated by the others here, the best part of this blend is the pouch smell and room note.

Cons-burns hot and bites, the taste is very harsh. I did not like this at all.

behindbars1544 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
behindbars1544 (6)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I received this blend as part of a 6 blend H&H series sampler. Upon receiving & opening my package I was overwhelmed by the wonderful aroma of the blends and was excited to start trying them out. I have reviewed most of the blends individually but all had one thing in common, they all had a very pleasant pouch smell and wonderful room note but lacked taste and most were harsh on the palate. Grandma?s Kitchen fell right into this category. Wonderful smell both fresh and while burning but little to no taste and burned very hot. Some tongue bite also. I actually had to add a little black Cavendish to it to calm it down but even at that all you could taste is the Cavendish so it wasn?t worth it. I ended up trading off the remainder as samples. Understanding that everyone has a different palate and different tastes this might be tasty to some but for myself and many others I have talked with it was a no go. Sorry Russ but something your using in your blends seem to be making them smoke hot & bite. Please take this review as constructive criticism and not personal.

traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
traveler (40)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is really a very nice aromatic. The pouch aroma is very distinctly brown sugar but the casing is not overly done and it packs and smokes dry.

There is considerable sweetness here, but this is a stronger, more punchy blend than most sweet/honey aromatics, including Pipes and Cigar's own Butternut Burley. Unlike that wonderful blend, this one can nip. My wife, who's from Hawaii, says that Grandma's kitchen smells like Lihimoi, a Hawaiian/Chinese confection. ----------

One year later: Outside of the room note and tin aroma, both of which are pleasant, this is just not a good smoking blend. A hot, bitey aromatic is just not something I can recommend.

PipeGnome Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeGnome (3)
Very Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

This tobacco smelled of oatmeal cookies in the pouch and while smoking. It however had very little flavor and smoked extremely hot and wet. Not really one I will revisit. The wife LOVED the aroma though.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

Like all of Russ's blends, this one comes dry in the pouch. It can best be summed up as a mildly sweet aromatic that bites. Nothing special about it. A decent smoke, but no reason to buy more of it. When it comes to aromatics, I would opt for one of Scotty's or Eric's blends.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Butterscotch! Not the best butterscotch either. It is kind of "bitey" and not very exciting. So far I have sampled 6 P&C blends and this one just does not make the cut. If you like a better Captain Black this is for you, otherwise try the Old Tartan for a really unique aromatic experience.Skip this and move forward with their English offerings. 2 of 4 stars.

Elric Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elric (34)

I approached this blend with a little trepedition after having fallen down the Capital Stairs a few days earlier. I need not have feared though. This is a wonderful aromatic which hasn't been overworked like so many blends in that genre. You can actually taste tobacco in the smoke.

I found it reminescent of Sweet Vanilla Honeydew albeit much toned down. Surprisingly, I think I like it better as a result. I will be cellaring some to see how it holds up to aging.