Virginia, Perique, and cigar leaf. For the pipe smoker who really enjoys the clean, sweet spiciness of a mixture of matured Virginias, but who wants something a little different. The difference comes from the use of cool-smoking Perique for a bit of plum and pepper, with cigar leaf added for a hint of round richness.

BrandHearth & Home
Packaging1.5oz Tin, 8oz Tin, Bulk
Strength
Taste

Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I don't really taste the cigar leaf as I generally do when smoking a cigar, so the amount must be very small. I had assumed that it's just enough to add a little body to the overall taste, and while I still feel that way, I discovered that the cigar leaf is actually a maduro, which explains why I couldn't detect the regular cigar note. Being a maduro fan and now able to look for it in the mixture, I understand this blend's taste better. It adds a little body to the the natural sweetness of the Virginias, and the more plum than peppery perique taste. The spice is darn near at the perfect level for me, and works in harmony with the other flavors. It burns very well and cool with a light butteriness, but if you are a fast puffer, you will miss some of the sweetness, so I recommend sipping it a little. I imagine it'll only get better with age, but you don't need to age it to enjoy it. It's a terrific all-day smoke.

Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This blend is nothing short of outstanding! I have not smoked many of Russ Ouellette's blends but I've never had one that didn't float my boat. Virginia Spice has strength (yippee!) and a subtle sweetness that truly enhanced the natural Virginia flavor. The Perique was expertly added and did not intrude. And while not a condiment expert; I can safely say the spice in this blend was a joyful addition. Just an outstanding compilation!

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Once again I hate to be the party pooper but here it is. I have the utmost respect for Mr. Ouillette, and have smoked some wonderful tobaccos he has blended, but I just cant seem to appreciate this signature series. I in no way consider this to be bad tobacco, but it does not stick out for me in any way.

Virginia spice is said to be blended with maduro leaf to give it a round smooth taste. Maybe, but I couldn't pick any of that up. Just a normal Vaper for me. This blend seemed to get a little darker and flavorful the second half of the bowl, but overall, kinda blah for me.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 320 Trevi

Age When Smoked: purchased in 2008

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (42)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have difficulty trying to add anything that the tin hasn't already said. Dead on for once! Spice and sweet accompanied by a little richness, and maybe just a little citrus tang to it. I do taste the cigar a little but some people might struggle to find it over the other flavors. It comes at the correct moisture straight from the tin and stays lit well to the finish, but I would recommend letting it dry out little more than standard. The room note is mostly Perique but lighter than some more Perique heavy blends. It has a dessert like quality that I enjoy but probably won't keep it on hand. Does tend to imbue the pipe with a slight cigar taste for the next few bowls of another tobacco.

boogieman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boogieman (7)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A very nice smoke. You get the sweetness of virginias. I can't detect any topping, just a clean smoke that shows off the tobacco. It has a creaminess to it, and a nice, but not overpowering cigar flavor. I don't know how to describe the cigar aspects, but it makes me imagine old books, maybe an empty wine barrel?

This seems to start off sweet and pretty mild, nice but mild. Toward the bottom half of the bowl, the flavor develops more and has a nice peppery spiciness to it (Perique?). Until the last half, I wasn't sure why they called this Virginia Spice.

Another thing I like about this, with cigars, the last inch or so gets real nasty, ammonia like. This blend lets you enjoy the smoke till ashes. I just always hate how with a cigar you waste so much.

EDIT: Forgot to add, not even a hint of tongue bite.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (97)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Not only is this an excellent mixture, it's also an excellent value. The primary flavor is semi sweet and toasty and there's just enough perique to provide a nice spicy tingle with a perfectly balanced twang. When sipped I get quite a variety of delicate flavors as well as a few satisfying complexities amidst a wonderful interplay of sweet and sour.

The sweetness builds as the bowl progresses as does the strength and the spice of the perique. Nasal exhales give me that perfect tingle with absolutely zero irritation or throat harshness. Cigar leaf? I got just a hint of it as an aftertaste but overall its purpose seems to be purely synergistic.

Virginia Spice is proof that a superbly executed simplistic mixture can be affordable and provide hours of top notch smoking pleasure. It smokes awesome in a cob and stands up perfectly to briar.

The pleasure of smoking this reminded me of something that my Italian uncle once told me. He insisted that if you want to know if an Italian restaurant is any good, order the eggplant parmesan. And what a chef does with the simplest of ingredients is all you need to know about the rest of the menu. I suppose the same concept can be applied to tobacco blending. That said, in my books, Mr. Ouellette probably makes one hell of an eggplant parm. Now onto the rest of the menu.

Pipe Used: briar & cob

Age When Smoked: 3

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (35)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A good friend wanted to introduce me to VaPers and this was his choice blend. This was also my introduction to Hearth and Home Blends. It is quite good but will nip you if taken too fast. Sweet and spicy as the name would indicate. This is an enjoyable sit down smoke... I tried taking it for a walk, not a good idea - a little too strong for a strolling tobacco. The cigar leaf does come out and give this mix a bit of a N kick, not huge but noticeable. Not quite smooth, but full. Burns well, the mixture was neither too moist or too dry from the tin - perfect actually and I don't find that too often. The room note was on the low pleasant side as the wife did not object, but did not rave either. It did fluctuate between a good full clouds of smoke to a bit thin in the cloud department, yet it finished well. I'm not sure if it will be in my regular rotation as cigar leaf, even a bit, does not appeal to me but this is worth a try for something a just a little off the beaten path. The quality of the tobacco and good moisture content packing will have me exploring other Hearth and Home blends.

turfprince Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
turfprince (4)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I just reviewed this tobacco on pipesandcigars website. I've only had one pipefull, and so I feel foolish in raving about Virginia Spice. The new tin is too moist for me, but I packed up anyway. I like strong tobacco, and this is if you aren't careful with it. I like to inhale through my nose, and with this tobacco, that is a true pleasure. I immediately noticed the Perique; a nice peppery/spicy note. It is not dominant; mostly, I simply had the Perique sensation, more than actually tasting it. The Virginias keep this tobacco bright and clean and are always present. It wasn't until I was over half way through the smoke that the cigar leaf would flit in and out. It was delicious; as I told Bobby and Russ at the store, it was a lip-smacking sensation. I have been smoking for 50 years, and I truly cannot remember a better stand alone, all day, go to smoke. I love Nightcap and Frog Morton's cellar, but the former is a bit tough for all day, and the latter a bit cloying. Virginia Spice is my new go-to smoke. Russ didn't create a fine tobacco only; this is a masterpiece. UPDATE 2/3/2012: I love this tobacco, but it doesn't love me. For some reason, it makes me cough very badly when I inhale. It is probably just me, but I thought that I should mention it. If I just puff, everything is fine.

Emil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emil (8)

Im on a quest to try all the cigar blends that I can find, and was very happy to find this as it doesnt have any Latakia in it, which is rather unusual in cigar blends.

I actually cant detect the cigar leaf, but the taste is that of an excellent VaPer with a very unique extra "spice" to it. Its both full and bright, if you know what I mean. The Perique level is good, low enough not to make it taste like lingonberries (I hate that!) or even noticing it. Love the cut which makes filling easy and burning cool and even. Looks good too.

Great taste all the way down, never gets boring. Could wish for more fullness, but its silly of me really.

This is one of the best blends I have tried, looking forward to smoke this on a nice summers day by the lake. For me this is a an uncomplicated chill out blend, at the same time absolutely unique. Top notch!

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Virginia Spice in my opinion is one of the best, but often overlooked blends from Russ Ouellette and Pipes and Cigars. I haven't tried many blends that I can compare this blend to in that it is a Vaper, but not really. Its a cigar blend, but again, not really. It does come across to me as somewhat similar, stripped down, less complex version of Stogie made by the same folks. The tobacco smells of very sweet and tangy Virginias and for the most part that's the flavor profile, but the cigar leaf adds a whole other dimension. It arrives a bit moist and after a few minutes of drying, one can expect large billows of smoke and a blast of intense flavor. I tend to like my Vapers on the sweet side but Virginia Spice would actullly be too sweet for me however there is enough cigar leaf to balance things out and add a richness to the blend. If tobacco could be described in terms of sounds, I would call this blend "loud." It may be too much of a good thing for some Vaper smokers that like a more nuanced blend that's not quite so "in your face." Highly Recommended.

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (64)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

What an odd smoke, but a very good one.

Who would have thought to put cigar leaf in with a VA blend???

It really works though. It is really spicy, but whereas some of these blends tend to taste like hay and burn hot if you aren't very patient and they haven't been aged well, this one has a forcefield around the heat due to the cigar, and its not a heavy cigar either, so its very clever in that you full hard and get the absolute best from the spicy and tangy VA's, but then the cigar adds that creamy richness and it combines into a very nice smoke.

The smoke it easy, dripping with flavor, aroma-rich, and inviting.

It warms up and develops as it goes, my only drawback is its a little mono, and I expected more to keep happening as the bowl went on, but it didn't change much.

If you want to take this into the stratosphere, soak a wood stave in Johnnie Walker 10 year for week and fasten it into a mason jar with the Virginia Spice. The result will blow your mind.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Some blends by Russ Oulette are clear winners, but unfortunately this is not one that I enjoy. I find this rather straight-forward and bland; nothing really stands out to me. My friend ordered some last year and gave some to me recently. He was rather bored with this blend, and I agree. While the blend appears to be made up of decent leaf, and it is not offensive, it just doesn't do anything for me.

Age When Smoked: 1 yr old

Purchased From: pipes and cigars online

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A nice blend. Pleasant and satisfying. Wish it had a touch more Perique.

piedpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piedpiper (26)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Just finished another bowl of this great blend. This offering has been one of my primary blends for the last few months. I choose to classify this as a cigar blend, although it could fall into the category of a Virginia/ perique blend as well. I haven't tried a lot of va-pers, as I prefer English blends, but those that I have tried haven't contained cigar leaf as this blend does & I believe that's what really makes this blend stand out. As other reviewers have indicated, the sweetness of the Virginias comes through nicely, with the cigar leaf adding it's own sweetness & fullness to the smoke. The perique comes through nicely in this blend as well which I usually look for in an English. This is one of at least a couple mixtures by Pipes & Cigars that contains cigar leaf with no mention of

that ingredient in the current description as listed on their website, which I thought was odd (Strike Force being another example). This makes the third tobacco I've tried from them, and I've been pleased with all 3. A very solid 4 stars as this would make for a primary blend/all-day smoke.

Update on 6-24-13. Am downgrading this blend to 2 stars. As many of our reviewers may know, in April Pipes & Cigars was acquired by Cigars International & moved from it's home in Albany N.Y. to Bethlehem Pa. I placed an order for more of this blend after the transaction & was quite disappointed. It looks the same, smells the same, but definitely doesn't smoke the same. Given my disappointment with the tobacco order, plus the fact that nearly 2 1/ 2 months since the acquisition they STILL don't have a bottle of pipe sweetener in stock, I think I'll once again be giving my business to Iwan Ries in Chicago. One other item concerning this blend-it is loaded with PG, a fact that up until now I had been willing to overlook. For some time, I have found great gobs of the stuff in every bag I ordered.

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (46)

I admit my palate enjoys a wide and eclectic range of pipe tobaccos. But that mere fact should not elicit the raised eyebrow and the knowing, condescending smile of those who know me and believe I'm an easily deluded tobacco bimbo. To those who don't know me and have not read my other reviews, just fuggedaboutit. But I do love this blend and I don't care who knows it. I could smoke Hearth&Home's Virginia Spice all day, as it is a perfect all day smoke for me.

Surprisingly for a VaPer with cigar leaf, it's mild to my palate, and the draw and intake are smooth and very flavorful. The nicotine is there for sure, but nothing as heavy as C&D's Habana Daydream (which I also smoke and like, but not as an all day smoke).

Virginia Spice fills the bowl easily, smokes cool and provides a smooth draw, particularly out of a medium sized or larger bowl. There is a fresh feeling and lightness in the taste and mouth feel that I cannot attribute to any of the aforementioned components. Is this yet another case of a "mystery" ingredient - or is there some fortuitous synergy going on here?

As for room note? Well, some Virginia and some cigary scent I guess. Since I live alone I don't give half a hoot about room note anyway. Which might be one of the reasons why I live alone... So, there's an added benefit of pipe smoking right there. But I digress. I will be buying more of this blend which, like all H&H's, comes in bulk, the relatively least expensive option. Highly recommended.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I try to avoid "blend inflation" and rarely give four stars.

Russ makes great VAPer blends, and this one, with cigar leaf, is no exception. I think it's my favorite Hearth & Home VAPer, and that's saying a lot!

It has a lot of richness, while being smooth, spicy, and sweet, all at the same time.

Very well behaved in the pipe, too!

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

From the description of this blend on the Pipesandcigars website, I was expecting a hearty blend that would be in my face because of the added cigar leaf. Boy, was I wrong! This stuff is mild, smooth and creamy right out of the pouch! I did taste the cigar leaf wafting in and out but the main player here is the VaPer base. It does have a spicy flavor and is very Va sweet, but the perique really behaves itself, never burning the back of my throat or nose, but it does give it's wonderful flavor presence to the blend. I have smoked this several times in a tall Caminetti stack, and it never smoked too full or strong, nor lost it's taste. It never bit me one bit and simply tasted delicious.

It is a rough cut semi ribbon cut, is mostly a brown blend but with some darker leaf mixed in. It has a pouch aroma that is tangy and rich and just a little sour smelling. It came to me the perfect moisture content and loaded very easily into my pipe. It stays lit very well and burns down to a dark grey ash and no moisture at the bottom of the bowl. This is the perfect smoke to go with a cold ale or stout beer. The room note to me is dominated by the perique but I do pick up notes of maduro cigar in it but it smells wonderful to me. It does have a slightly stale cigar aroma about a half hour after finishing, so not a wife pleaser really. I only bought a sample of this but I will buy pounds of it to cellar, as I really like it and I highly recommend it.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Just what the world needs: another VaPer and another VaPer review.

The saving grace of this fine tobacco, however, is that it's not just a Vaper. It's a CiVaPer or a VaPerGar or a VaCiPer. For me lately it's been a PaCiFier.

The tobacco hits all of the right notes with its components--Virginia, Perique, cigar leaf. The Virginia provides bright, herbal/grassy aromas and a lingering sweetness. The Perique adds its signature dried fruit aromas and acidity and the cigar leaf fattens up the whole blend, giving body and richness. Every now and then, the integrity of the blend comes apart like a wanton braid, but the effect of this unraveling is genuinely pleasant.

The richness provided by the cigar leaf here might be too much for those who aren't particularly fond of cigars themselves, but pipers who also smoke cigars might like this very much. I've always been of the mind that when I want to smoke a pipe, I will; and when I want to smoke a cigar, I'll do that. But I don't want a cigar that tastes like a pipe or pipe tobacco that reminds me of a cigar. I still hold to that, but really the cigar-ness of this blend shows up as a series of flashes, not a sustained, gar-ish assault on the tender senses of most pipe smokers.

I guess I like this a whole bunch. I find I like this best late in the evening with a small black beer or a smaller brown Bourbon. And while reading Hemingway, lost among the Spanish and found among the bulls. Somehow he just completes this very good tobacco for me.

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (35)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

It took a few bowls for me to define the taste of this blend. My bag came at the right dryness level for a ready pack. It packs and lights nicely, and stays lit.

This tobacco burns cool. The taste is mildly sweet and spicey. However, the sweetness and after taste reminds me of artificial sugar like used in diet soda. I am more of a burley lover but like to switch to virginia blends for variety. For a Virginia based blend with all the goodies added, this is good tobacco. I've given it 3 stars because of the artificial sugar taste. It could be in my head. I don't know. It's just there for me.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)

While listed as a VaPer with some cigar leaf in it I would switch that around and state that it is more a cigar blend with some Virginia and Perique thrown in. It kind of falls in the category of VaPer-like, similar to Haddo's, but there is other stuff thrown in to alter the tastes a bit.

Regardless, this was a great blend to smoke and I would highly recommend it to anyone who may be burnt out on VaPers or someone who just wants to try something a little different.

The taste and aroma for this blend takes you on a rollercoaster ride. One minute it smells and tastes like a VaPer, the next it smells and tastes like your smoking a Macanudo Maduro. All in all, it's a tasty blend, burns well, no bite, and the price is good.

bighitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bighitter (37)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Alone, sometimes I get a little too much cigar, but the Virginia-Perique taste is very nice. This one may change every time you load a bowl, as it's a very heavily mixed tobacco, seemingly with different types just sort of tossed together. That's okay of course, that's how you blend tobaccos, but I prefer one that's been pressed or flaked, as the different tobaccos have a chance to mix better, to sort of flavor each other. The way this is, sometimes it tastes like a cigar, sometimes like a chocolate cherry, sometimes like grass. One word of caution, I was smoking this stuff one day and it made me a bit woozy, so something in there is strong, but I'm not sure what. It's good but not that good for the price, which I think should be a little lower for what you get, not that it's bad at all.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was recently gifted a few samples from the Hearth and Home series and this one is a keeper. I was impressed with them all really, but this is the one, along with Larry's Blend, that I'm definitely ordering more of.(dp) I should also say that I noticed a similar creaminess among all the blends that just might be from casing, though it's so light, it's hard to tell. . . Could be Russ' leaf. On to Virginia Spice. .

This is my first cigar blend. This is a very well rounded blend, flavor-wise. Nothing takes over. Each leaf plays well with others. It's sweet, yes, spicey, and has a depth from the cigar leaf that I really like! (No bite, either, but I won't smoke anything that does). Great taste from the perique, too; not just pepper, but a little of the old fermented plum. Virginias (tastey ones) are a great base.

My sample was quite dry, so lighting was no problem, but the burn rate was a little high. Therefore, I've got to hold off on all four stars 'till I get some with a bit more moisture. Nicotine content is just right for a relaxing smoke with a book or an in depth study of a spider's crawl across the ceiling. Of course, if you're so inclined, you could also try interacting with humans, but they may not enjoy the room note. I think it smells just fine;-}

I ordered this blend based on the cut indicated above and there was no detail in this respect @ pipesandcigars.com. What arrived was clearly labeled as this blend and even had pieces of the cigar leaf visible. However, in my view this blend consists of wide ribbon cut yellow to brown VAs with some Perique and cigar leaf added. This difference impacts the burning rate which is much too fast for my habits compared to my normal true flake preferences. Although it smoked dry and without bite I felt that the cigar influence on the taste was greater than I would choose although I didn't detect it in the room aroma.

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (32)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Delicious. The sweet VA's, peppery Perique, & cigar leaf intermingle nicely. The individual components are not lost, yet complement nicely to make for a satisfying, full flavor. Sorta like a wave of flavors as the draft is drawn. The progression of each draw, first the sweet VA is tasted, then the slightly fruit peppery Perique steps in, rounded out by the fullness of the cigar. I think the cut has a lot to do with this. Example, the cigar leaf seems large in comparison to the VA & Perique, but it is very thin and burns in proportion to the rest of this blend's ingredients. The blend was smoked in a Tinderbox Grecian Briar Prince shape.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (60)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very good stuff, there's a little smell of ketchup in it but none of it as you smoke it, the perique content is just right.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium Mild Full Pleasant

Have been working a 2oz I got of Virginia spice....After several smokes in many pipes I can say with certainty that I love this stuff. IMHO best in a bulldog or Rhode, The bag smell is an exotic spiced virgina. Sweet and the spice reminds my of mulled cider. The smoke is very full on the mouth, yet finishes clean and the ashed pipe leaves one satisfied. Nicotine was just right for me. Taste, Room, strength- Russ hit a home run on this one. Ordering more in about 5 mins.....

DjSamwise Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DjSamwise (2)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I am a new Smoker of virginias and the first word that comes to mind when smoking the virginias of my main preference is sweet. Home and Hearth's Virginia spice is NOT that kind of virginia.. yet it is completely tasty in it's own way.

I liken this blend to black coffee. Some people like sweet flavorings or cream to mellow thier joe out. This is more like a naturally tasty coffee that tastes good with no sugar or cream added. At first light it might taste a bit too strong or heavy but mid bowl I've found this blend mellows to a nice dark rich flavor with a coffeeish flavor. Its not too tangy or sweet but it is rich and a treat in it's own right.

I wouldn't make it my daily smoke but it's a perfect bit of that something different, confident in it's own right. Might be perfect for the person who hates sweet but loves virginia.

One last word, the nicotene level (probably due to the perique) seems to be high. I enjoyed this. I had to set the bowl down to take a break at one point but this suited me just fine.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)

Now this H&H blend hit a home run with me. It is like Redwood a little but with some cigar leaf added, yet better still. The VAs more complex and sweeter, the perique quieter but assertive and piquant, and a deft touch of cigar leaf. Not that much cigar leaf, so there's just enough to add body. Tastes like a rather sweet, light bodied type of cigar leaf, like a Dominican.

Anyway, this is really a unique VA/P at a very nice price. How good this blend really is will have to wait until some aging. I can't say it is any better or worse than Haddos, they're very different. And I don't smoke VA/Ps all that often, mostly Englishes and burley, but I think this is one I'll keep around. I do prefer American VA/P, they are usually more interesting than the European blended ones (Escudo, etc.).

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (47)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is another hit for me I really enjoy virginia /perique blend the cigar leaf made the smoke a little robust and rounded.WOW! I think the pouch aroma was different and the presentation of the tobacco with all the yellows ,reds and browns made me a bit interested in the blend to begin with but I will be buying more in the near future. Wished they tried the maduro leaf .

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (41)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Virginia Spice stepped up to the plate and hit a homerun with me. What I enjoyed about it is that it is NOT the typical Virginia-Perique mixture. In fact, the Perique is really quite subdued and subtle in this mixture. I greatly enjoyed the layers of flavor present in this blend, and the small amount of cigar leaf only deeped the already rich, full taste and aroma. This blend won't appeal to everybody, but I liked it a lot.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Strong None Detected Overwhelming Tolerable

A friend of mine who regularly reviews here firmly believes that if there are certain types of tobacco or blending styles you don't like or that are not your taste, i.e., latakia, perique, krumble kake, etc., you shouldn't review them. I tend to agree with that opinion. The same can apply to food. If you don't like steak or Baked Alaska, don't pan a steakhouse for serving them! After all, if you really hate a certain type of tobacco, why bother reviewing, let alone trying it in the first place? In any case, the only reason I am reviewing Virginia Spice is to affirm to myself once and for all as well as to others the following: if you have an allergic reaction to Virginia/Perique blends, DO NOT smoke this! If this tobacco did anything, it proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that I should not be smoking VA/PQs, and that my other unpleasant experiences with Elizabethan and Haddo's Delight were not just my imagination. This and Canadian Plug literally make me gag and choke while causing my eyes to water. This is probably quality stuff for people who can handle it, but if you can't, stay away! I think there might be some McClelland rubbed out matured Virginia flake based on the intial sweetness just prior to gagging. Too bad I can't smoke this, as I absolutely love Mr. Ouelette's wonderful Old Tartan and Count Pulaski, now part of my staple rotation.

One of five very teary-eyed, highly subjective stars

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I do not like Virginia,Perique,or Cigar blends! I really do however like "Virginia Spice". This is the best Va/P blend i think I have ever tasted.It is as complex as Haddo's Delight but without all the confusion associated with that blend. Upon opening the bag,one is greeted by a natural sweet tobacco aroma unlike any other.The cigar cannot be detected by the nose at all. At first light ,it is pure Virginia. It is actually a little astringent.After about 1 minute of gentle puffing the blend settles down into a really unique smoking experience. I believe there is a portion of lightly cased black cavendish here that gives this a little extra sweetness.The Perique is applied with a very gentle hand as is the cigar leaf. All three components seem to blend together in forming a slightly rough yet creamy smoke. The taste of all the components meld into a raisin - like plum pudding flavor. This will be appreciated by fans of Kingfisher or Haddo's Delight. This is not a blend for the Three Nuns or Elizabethan crowd. This is a wonderful change of pace for both aromatic and English smokers. I think this is one of those blends like Old Tartan that everyone should try. Please do not compare it to an English or aromatic tabac. It has a taste entirely unto itself. When you order from P&C get an ounce.I think you'll enjoy it.

OldManBob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OldManBob (1)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of the better Virginia/Perique blends I've smoked.

The medium matured Virginias dominate the smoke but do not overwhelm the other tobaccos. Perique has been applied lightly and is noticeable but never overshadows the sweetness of the Virginias. The cigar leaf is also applied lightly and is noticed more in the taste than in the aroma, but it adds a richness and reinforces the creaminess of the Virginias. I detected no toppings.

It's easily my favorite of Russ Oullette's blends, although I like several.

TClemons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TClemons (3)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Virginia Spice consists of light, red and brown Virginias, dark Perique and flakes of cigar leaf. Pretty mixture. Smells naturally sweet. The ribbon cut is easy to pack in the pipe. I've tried this in 5 different pipes with similar results.

At first I usually taste/smell the sweet Virginias. This smoke offers some high notes and nice medium Virginia taste. Quickly there are notes of the cigar leaf the provide fullness and smokiness. About mid-bowl, I notice the Perique - sort of raisin or fig which blends so nicely. There is a rush of flavors - very full taste with the spicy components. The last third of the bowl it all melds together into a rich, satisfying smoke.

This blend smokes dry and I noticed no bite at all.

Grade = A- (most enjoyable and one to stock up on. I feel certain that this will age very well).

4 stars. 9-15-05