Virginia, perique, and cigar leaf. For the pipe smoker who really enjoys the clean, sweet spiciness of a mixture of matured Virginias, but who wants something a little different. The difference comes from the use of cool smoking perique for a bit of plum and pepper, with cigar leaf added for a hint of round richness.

BrandHearth & Home
Blended ByRuss Ouellette
Blend TypeCigar Leaf Based
ContentsCigar Leaf, Perique, Virginia
Packaging1.5 ounce tin, bulk
Strength
Taste

3.4

The Virginias are grassy with some citrus and tangy stewed dark fruit and earth. The bright and red Virginias are present in equal proportions. They form the base for the blend, and are the dominant components. The mild Connecticut cigar leaf continually plays in the background for a light smokey sweet nuance that you may not always recognize explicitly, but it adds a slight body and depth to the proceedings. The perique offer plum, raisin, and a slightly more than mild pepper as a supporting ingredient. This blend seems to have an extremely mild sweet topping, but whatever it may be, it doesn't intrude in any way, and at times, I'm not entirely certain it has one, but it may account for a light fruitiness. The nic-hit is a shade above mild. Burns at a moderate pace with clean, cool, fairly smooth and buttery consistent flavor, sporting no dull or harsh spots. Doesn’t need many relights, and easily burns to ash with no bite. Leaves very little moisture in the bowl. The pleasant after taste lingers just a little. The room note won’t chase your pets or spouse away. Has just enough strength to suit the experienced VaPer aficionado while being mild enough for those entering this genre for the first time. An all day smoke if you so choose.

Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This blend is nothing short of outstanding! I have not smoked many of Russ Ouellette's blends but I've never had one that didn't float my boat. Virginia Spice has strength (yippee!) and a subtle sweetness that truly enhanced the natural Virginia flavor. The Perique was expertly added and did not intrude. And while not a condiment expert; I can safely say the spice in this blend was a joyful addition. Just an outstanding compilation!

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Not only is this an excellent mixture, it's also an excellent value. The primary flavor is semi sweet and toasty and there's just enough perique to provide a nice spicy tingle with a perfectly balanced twang. When sipped I get quite a variety of delicate flavors as well as a few satisfying complexities amidst a wonderful interplay of sweet and sour.

The sweetness builds as the bowl progresses as does the strength and the spice of the perique. Nasal exhales give me that perfect tingle with absolutely zero irritation or throat harshness. Cigar leaf? I got just a hint of it as an aftertaste but overall its purpose seems to be purely synergistic.

Virginia Spice is proof that a superbly executed simplistic mixture can be affordable and provide hours of top notch smoking pleasure. It smokes awesome in a cob and stands up perfectly to briar.

The pleasure of smoking this reminded me of something that my Italian uncle once told me. He insisted that if you want to know if an Italian restaurant is any good, order the eggplant parmesan. And what a chef does with the simplest of ingredients is all you need to know about the rest of the menu. I suppose the same concept can be applied to tobacco blending. That said, in my books, Mr. Ouellette probably makes one hell of an eggplant parm. Now onto the rest of the menu.

Pipe Used: briar & cob

Age When Smoked: 3

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (65)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have difficulty trying to add anything that the tin hasn't already said. Dead on for once! Spice and sweet accompanied by a little richness, and maybe just a little citrus tang to it. I do taste the cigar a little but some people might struggle to find it over the other flavors. It comes at the correct moisture straight from the tin and stays lit well to the finish, but I would recommend letting it dry out little more than standard. The room note is mostly Perique but lighter than some more Perique heavy blends. It has a dessert like quality that I enjoy but probably won't keep it on hand. Does tend to imbue the pipe with a slight cigar taste for the next few bowls of another tobacco.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Virginia Spice in my opinion is one of the best, but often overlooked blends from Russ Ouellette and Pipes and Cigars. I haven't tried many blends that I can compare this blend to in that it is a Vaper, but not really. Its a cigar blend, but again, not really. It does come across to me as somewhat similar, stripped down, less complex version of Stogie made by the same folks. The tobacco smells of very sweet and tangy Virginias and for the most part that's the flavor profile, but the cigar leaf adds a whole other dimension. It arrives a bit moist and after a few minutes of drying, one can expect large billows of smoke and a blast of intense flavor. I tend to like my Vapers on the sweet side but Virginia Spice would actullly be too sweet for me however there is enough cigar leaf to balance things out and add a richness to the blend. If tobacco could be described in terms of sounds, I would call this blend "loud." It may be too much of a good thing for some Vaper smokers that like a more nuanced blend that's not quite so "in your face." Highly Recommended.

I trust the ingredients listing that there is some cigar leaf in this blend, but it must be mild. I really didn't specifically taste it. This is not unusual by any means as it pertains to cigar leaf in pipe tobacco.

Still this is a good Va Per in its own right as are many of the Va Pers coming out of H & H. The Virginias are very grassy to my tastes. I found the perique to be there for sure, but not overpowering in the least. Overall, with Perique and cigar leaf, I guess the biggest disappointment to me, was that it was not too potent in the nicotine department.

Still it is an enjoyable blend that is well done, just don't expect any cigar likeness and don't expect too much a departure from a typical VaPer.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Once again I hate to be the party pooper but here it is. I have the utmost respect for Mr. Ouillette, and have smoked some wonderful tobaccos he has blended, but I just cant seem to appreciate this signature series. I in no way consider this to be bad tobacco, but it does not stick out for me in any way.

Virginia spice is said to be blended with maduro leaf to give it a round smooth taste. Maybe, but I couldn't pick any of that up. Just a normal Vaper for me. This blend seemed to get a little darker and flavorful the second half of the bowl, but overall, kinda blah for me.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 320 Trevi

Age When Smoked: purchased in 2008

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (36)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A good friend wanted to introduce me to VaPers and this was his choice blend. This was also my introduction to Hearth and Home Blends. It is quite good but will nip you if taken too fast. Sweet and spicy as the name would indicate. This is an enjoyable sit down smoke... I tried taking it for a walk, not a good idea - a little too strong for a strolling tobacco. The cigar leaf does come out and give this mix a bit of a N kick, not huge but noticeable. Not quite smooth, but full. Burns well, the mixture was neither too moist or too dry from the tin - perfect actually and I don't find that too often. The room note was on the low pleasant side as the wife did not object, but did not rave either. It did fluctuate between a good full clouds of smoke to a bit thin in the cloud department, yet it finished well. I'm not sure if it will be in my regular rotation as cigar leaf, even a bit, does not appeal to me but this is worth a try for something a just a little off the beaten path. The quality of the tobacco and good moisture content packing will have me exploring other Hearth and Home blends.

turfprince Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
turfprince (4)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I just reviewed this tobacco on pipesandcigars website. I've only had one pipefull, and so I feel foolish in raving about Virginia Spice. The new tin is too moist for me, but I packed up anyway. I like strong tobacco, and this is if you aren't careful with it. I like to inhale through my nose, and with this tobacco, that is a true pleasure. I immediately noticed the Perique; a nice peppery/spicy note. It is not dominant; mostly, I simply had the Perique sensation, more than actually tasting it. The Virginias keep this tobacco bright and clean and are always present. It wasn't until I was over half way through the smoke that the cigar leaf would flit in and out. It was delicious; as I told Bobby and Russ at the store, it was a lip-smacking sensation. I have been smoking for 50 years, and I truly cannot remember a better stand alone, all day, go to smoke. I love Nightcap and Frog Morton's cellar, but the former is a bit tough for all day, and the latter a bit cloying. Virginia Spice is my new go-to smoke. Russ didn't create a fine tobacco only; this is a masterpiece. UPDATE 2/3/2012: I love this tobacco, but it doesn't love me. For some reason, it makes me cough very badly when I inhale. It is probably just me, but I thought that I should mention it. If I just puff, everything is fine.

easterngray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
easterngray (11)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

To reiterate what another reviewer said, if there was ever an all day Va/Per, this is it! The addition of cigar leaf has a wonderful smoothing effect on the overall smoke; the sweetness of the Virginias is perfectly balanced with the spice and plum of the perique. A rich, delicious blend. No tongue bite, able to withstand some hearty puffing, yet shines best when sipped; yet another great mixture from one of the master blenders of our day. This is a full flavored, easy going blend that asks only to be enjoyed. Highly recommended .

Pipe Used: Billiards mostly

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

Purchased From: P&C

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (83)
Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

Another selection from my bombing.

The tin note on this is spicy, almost like cinnamon. I don't detect any of the cigar note listed. I do notice plum from the perique. The cut is nice ribbons and some smaller pieces. Packs and lights well. Did take some re-lights for me. On the relights the cigar leaf starts to shine through. The perique is present throughout if you're accustomed to it. It does have some pepper to it that most likely plays in well with cigar. There is a sweetness that stays with the smoke between the Virginias and the fruitiness of the perique. It's a very well blended mixture.

Overall, I would somewhat recommend this. Newer smokers might not appreciate the interplay between the leaves in this and pass it over as run of the mill. Solid smoke with decent strength and interesting flavor for more experienced pipers.

Pipe Used: IMP meer

Age When Smoked: Not sure

Purchased From: BoB bombing gift

Similar Blends: MM country gentleman a bit.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A nice blend. Pleasant and satisfying. Wish it had a touch more Perique.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)

While listed as a VaPer with some cigar leaf in it I would switch that around and state that it is more a cigar blend with some Virginia and Perique thrown in. It kind of falls in the category of VaPer-like, similar to Haddo's, but there is other stuff thrown in to alter the tastes a bit.

Regardless, this was a great blend to smoke and I would highly recommend it to anyone who may be burnt out on VaPers or someone who just wants to try something a little different.

The taste and aroma for this blend takes you on a rollercoaster ride. One minute it smells and tastes like a VaPer, the next it smells and tastes like your smoking a Macanudo Maduro. All in all, it's a tasty blend, burns well, no bite, and the price is good.

FP Stew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FP Stew (20)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

One of the finest tobaccos that I have smoked to-date! (Probably about 500 blends so far).

This has been my “Go-To” and "All Day" tobacco for the past year and half. I’m always satisfied with this one. The VA is sweet and non-biting even when pushed hard. The Perique is subtle yet adds a very gentle balance of fig and pepper and the cigar leaf is faint yet adds rich depth to the balance.

The room not is pleasant to all including my wife (who as a child was frequently trapped with parents who both chain smoked cigarettes in the car on long road trips so she is not fond of vary many tobaccos) .. this one she enjoyed today and stayed down wind for the entire bowl.

If I were to name this one, I’d call it “Old Faithful” … Happy Smoke Trails to you if you give this one a try based on my review!

Pipe Used: Many sizes and types

Age When Smoked: Fresh to 2 years old

Purchased From: Pipes & Tobacco

DavidP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DavidP (25)

I'm sadly almost through my tin. I'm really enjoying this VaPer because I can clearly taste the harmonious combination of sweet spring grass and tartness. With other blends of this type I mostly get a dry vegetal thing. My only knock is that this stuff was very wet in the tin and needed a week with the lid ajar to get to a smokable moisture level.

Pipe Used: MM Cobs

Purchased From: SP.com

DylanG12 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DylanG12 (2)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I'm pretty new to pipe smoking, but so far I love it. I ordered the Virginia sampler which I recommend, and the H&H Virginia Spice was included in it. The smell of it straight out of the tin is magnificent you get the normal Virginia smell, but the cigar leaves and perique doesn't hurt it at all.

The first light and puff had a nice mild flavor and was consistent through the whole bowl. I could taste the perique and the cigar leaves but was not over powering. If you're looking for something smooth and flavorful this is for you. This is a great blend and I look forward to smoking it again.

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (76)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

What an odd smoke, but a very good one.

Who would have thought to put cigar leaf in with a VA blend???

It really works though. It is really spicy, but whereas some of these blends tend to taste like hay and burn hot if you aren't very patient and they haven't been aged well, this one has a forcefield around the heat due to the cigar, and its not a heavy cigar either, so its very clever in that you full hard and get the absolute best from the spicy and tangy VA's, but then the cigar adds that creamy richness and it combines into a very nice smoke.

The smoke it easy, dripping with flavor, aroma-rich, and inviting.

It warms up and develops as it goes, my only drawback is its a little mono, and I expected more to keep happening as the bowl went on, but it didn't change much.

If you want to take this into the stratosphere, soak a wood stave in Johnnie Walker 10 year for week and fasten it into a mason jar with the Virginia Spice. The result will blow your mind.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (123)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Some blends by Russ Oulette are clear winners, but unfortunately this is not one that I enjoy. I find this rather straight-forward and bland; nothing really stands out to me. My friend ordered some last year and gave some to me recently. He was rather bored with this blend, and I agree. While the blend appears to be made up of decent leaf, and it is not offensive, it just doesn't do anything for me.

Age When Smoked: 1 yr old

Purchased From: pipes and cigars online

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (51)

I could smoke Hearth&Home's Virginia Spice all day, as it is a perfect all day smoke for me.

Surprisingly for a VaPer with cigar leaf, it's mild to my palate, and the draw and intake are smooth and very flavorful. Virginia Spice fills the bowl easily, smokes cool and provides a smooth draw, particularly out of a medium sized or larger bowl. The cigar leaf melds seamlessly with the other tobacco components. Highly recommended.

Similar Blends: Habana Daydream.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

From the description of this blend on the Pipesandcigars website, I was expecting a hearty blend that would be in my face because of the added cigar leaf. Boy, was I wrong! This stuff is mild, smooth and creamy right out of the pouch! I did taste the cigar leaf wafting in and out but the main player here is the VaPer base. It does have a spicy flavor and is very Va sweet, but the perique really behaves itself, never burning the back of my throat or nose, but it does give it's wonderful flavor presence to the blend. I have smoked this several times in a tall Caminetti stack, and it never smoked too full or strong, nor lost it's taste. It never bit me one bit and simply tasted delicious.

It is a rough cut semi ribbon cut, is mostly a brown blend but with some darker leaf mixed in. It has a pouch aroma that is tangy and rich and just a little sour smelling. It came to me the perfect moisture content and loaded very easily into my pipe. It stays lit very well and burns down to a dark grey ash and no moisture at the bottom of the bowl. This is the perfect smoke to go with a cold ale or stout beer. The room note to me is dominated by the perique but I do pick up notes of maduro cigar in it but it smells wonderful to me. It does have a slightly stale cigar aroma about a half hour after finishing, so not a wife pleaser really. I only bought a sample of this but I will buy pounds of it to cellar, as I really like it and I highly recommend it.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (102)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Just what the world needs: another VaPer and another VaPer review.

The saving grace of this fine tobacco, however, is that it's not just a Vaper. It's a CiVaPer or a VaPerGar or a VaCiPer. For me lately it's been a PaCiFier.

The tobacco hits all of the right notes with its components--Virginia, Perique, cigar leaf. The Virginia provides bright, herbal/grassy aromas and a lingering sweetness. The Perique adds its signature dried fruit aromas and acidity and the cigar leaf fattens up the whole blend, giving body and richness. Every now and then, the integrity of the blend comes apart like a wanton braid, but the effect of this unraveling is genuinely pleasant.

The richness provided by the cigar leaf here might be too much for those who aren't particularly fond of cigars themselves, but pipers who also smoke cigars might like this very much. I've always been of the mind that when I want to smoke a pipe, I will; and when I want to smoke a cigar, I'll do that. But I don't want a cigar that tastes like a pipe or pipe tobacco that reminds me of a cigar. I still hold to that, but really the cigar-ness of this blend shows up as a series of flashes, not a sustained, gar-ish assault on the tender senses of most pipe smokers.

I guess I like this a whole bunch. I find I like this best late in the evening with a small black beer or a smaller brown Bourbon. And while reading Hemingway, lost among the Spanish and found among the bulls. Somehow he just completes this very good tobacco for me.

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (36)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

It took a few bowls for me to define the taste of this blend. My bag came at the right dryness level for a ready pack. It packs and lights nicely, and stays lit.

This tobacco burns cool. The taste is mildly sweet and spicey. However, the sweetness and after taste reminds me of artificial sugar like used in diet soda. I am more of a burley lover but like to switch to virginia blends for variety. For a Virginia based blend with all the goodies added, this is good tobacco. I've given it 3 stars because of the artificial sugar taste. It could be in my head. I don't know. It's just there for me.

I ordered this blend based on the cut indicated above and there was no detail in this respect @ pipesandcigars.com. What arrived was clearly labeled as this blend and even had pieces of the cigar leaf visible. However, in my view this blend consists of wide ribbon cut yellow to brown VAs with some Perique and cigar leaf added. This difference impacts the burning rate which is much too fast for my habits compared to my normal true flake preferences. Although it smoked dry and without bite I felt that the cigar influence on the taste was greater than I would choose although I didn't detect it in the room aroma.

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (36)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Delicious. The sweet VA's, peppery Perique, & cigar leaf intermingle nicely. The individual components are not lost, yet complement nicely to make for a satisfying, full flavor. Sorta like a wave of flavors as the draft is drawn. The progression of each draw, first the sweet VA is tasted, then the slightly fruit peppery Perique steps in, rounded out by the fullness of the cigar. I think the cut has a lot to do with this. Example, the cigar leaf seems large in comparison to the VA & Perique, but it is very thin and burns in proportion to the rest of this blend's ingredients. The blend was smoked in a Tinderbox Grecian Briar Prince shape.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (76)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very good stuff, there's a little smell of ketchup in it but none of it as you smoke it, the perique content is just right.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (115)

Now this H&H blend hit a home run with me. It is like Redwood a little but with some cigar leaf added, yet better still. The VAs more complex and sweeter, the perique quieter but assertive and piquant, and a deft touch of cigar leaf. Not that much cigar leaf, so there's just enough to add body. Tastes like a rather sweet, light bodied type of cigar leaf, like a Dominican.

Anyway, this is really a unique VA/P at a very nice price. How good this blend really is will have to wait until some aging. I can't say it is any better or worse than Haddos, they're very different. And I don't smoke VA/Ps all that often, mostly Englishes and burley, but I think this is one I'll keep around. I do prefer American VA/P, they are usually more interesting than the European blended ones (Escudo, etc.).

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (53)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is another hit for me I really enjoy virginia /perique blend the cigar leaf made the smoke a little robust and rounded.WOW! I think the pouch aroma was different and the presentation of the tobacco with all the yellows ,reds and browns made me a bit interested in the blend to begin with but I will be buying more in the near future. Wished they tried the maduro leaf .

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (43)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Virginia Spice stepped up to the plate and hit a homerun with me. What I enjoyed about it is that it is NOT the typical Virginia-Perique mixture. In fact, the Perique is really quite subdued and subtle in this mixture. I greatly enjoyed the layers of flavor present in this blend, and the small amount of cigar leaf only deeped the already rich, full taste and aroma. This blend won't appeal to everybody, but I liked it a lot.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (137)

The VA's definitly lead the way in this blend. They are sweet and tangy. The reds have that dark fruit note that I love and are slightly earthy at times. The brights are a little grassy with citrus notes here and there. The CT cigar leaf is present. It remains a constant in the background throughout the bowl as a mild smokey note. The perique was added with a light hand. It comes in and out and I pick up a plum note and a very mild faint spice that moves in and out. There is a mild fruity topping here as well. It is light and sweet and stays on in the finish for a long while. I think it is a little on the heavy side personally. The nic hit is mild to med. the overall tobacco strength is at the bottom end of med. Nothing really wrong with this blend I enjoyed it initially but I found myself growing bored with it as I progressed throughout this 2 oz. sample. There are just other blends that hold my interested better.