A firmly-pressed crumble cake blend of Bright and Red Virginias, it comes as a solid cake which can be broken or sliced and rubbed-out, and the flavor changes depending upon how you prepare it. Knowledgeable Virginia fans often compare it to Hamborger Veermaster as a smooth, but tasty Virginia blend.

BrandHearth & Home
Where to Buy PipesAndCigars
Strength
Taste
3.1

Another sample given to me but this one was an ounce. If an ounce is not enough to "get" a tobacco, Russ Ouelette should be thankful, because before I "get" this one, I'm going to order several pounds.

To start with, I guess I'm not a "knowledgable" virginia fan, because I don't get the comparison to Hamborger Veermaster. While this one has a smidge of the sweet citrus of HV, it goes beyond that. Marble Kake is much deeper, broader and more complex. Rubbing it out was fairly simple. I'm going to experiment more with this one when I get more to experiment with, but fully rubbed out worked very well. The flavor was deep. Rather than HV, this did remind me of another blend I'd smoked in the past but I couldn't recall which. So I cheated and read some of the other reviews. Mr Big nailed it with C&D "Briar Fox". But that one didn't hit me as hard as this one. Marble Kake is a mellow-spirited, faintly sweet and rich tasting VA that improves down the bowl. It can tolerate a bit heavier puffing cadence and never loses its cool. No heavy nicotine here, this is something that could be smoked all day long and never become tiresome or monochrome.

I've smoked a lot of Russ' blends. Some I didn't care for, some I liked and even a couple that I thought were 4 star blends. But this is the first one that so distinguished itself that I thought "Man, if I had to, I could give up every other blend in this genre". This is that good. If you're a virginia lover, this is a must try. Just let me get my order in first! :)

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (36)

I enjoy cereal and buy numerous and different types and blends every time I'm shopping and the ubiquitous "cereal" is on the list. I've had countless boxes and bags in my cupboard over the years (you see, I'm sure, where this is going) containing clusters, different fruits, honey, nuts, seeds, presentations of oats, bran, wheat, multi-grains and the like. With all that, sometimes I just want a big bowl of Corn Flakes. To me, Marble Kake = the Corn Flakes of my tobacco array. Pease tonight? Nah. Dunhills are a good idea? Not in the mood. Sam's flakes of one great sort or another? Too much work. Escudo, Presbyterian, a Peterson, Black House, Davidoff Flake Medallions, other medallions, MacBaren Old Dark Fired? Just had some, too much, too little, who knows? Hard to decide. But I really want to smoke. Maybe I'll think it over with some Marble Kake. I forgot how easy it is to break this stuff. Tin note is so simple and pleasing -- pure VA hay/citrus/baked bread. Hell, almost smells like Corn Flakes. Wow, it lights as nicely as the last (100) bowls I've had of this uncomplicated bit of VA "try it you'll like it" tobacco. No thanks, I don't feel like pepper or fruit or BBQ sauce or smoke on my cereal. These Corn Flakes are really hitting the spot. Maybe when I'm done, if I'm still peckish, I'll have something with a few more flavor profiles. Coffee coated muesli? Or, hey -- I'm the maker of my own destiny -- maybe I'll just have some more of those Corn Flakes. They're leaving such a rich and rewarding taste (not too sweet, not too lemony and not too spicy) I'll probably have room for another bowl. Why not? Recommended to all those who like Corn Flakes and don't believe that simplicity well executed cannot peacefully co-exist with complex sophistication and satisfaction.

Pipe Used: billiars and bent dublins

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

Similar Blends: apart from presentation, the taste is similar to a number of lighter straight VAs.

graygeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
graygeek (10)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Stopped by P&C the other day to find something different from the usual ARO that I smoke. Really wanted to try a Va, and this is what they recommended. Brought home a sample. After reading the reviews, I wasn't quite sure what I had gotten myself into. What a great surprise!! This is wonderful! For a VA, this has some very nice sweetness, and good aroma. It's a bit of a challenge to rub out, but your rewarded with a tobacco, that lights well, and stays lit. If others experience bite, I never found it. It was gentle on the tongue, and easy on the nose. First part of the bowl is light and grassy, but as you smoke down the bowl, the flavors get sweeter and more complex, but always mild. As you get to the bottom of the bowl, it keeps you wanting more.

Being an ARO smoker, this is a really nice change of pace. This could be a very nice everyday smoke, for VA lovers or new pipe smokers.

Dougster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dougster (31)

This interesting bulk offering from Pipes & Cigars' Hearth and Home Series is certainly noteworthy if for nothing else than the nifty form factor. My 4oz sample arrived as two large flat square slabs of tobacco resembling aspenite particle board more than anything else.

The pouch aroma is slightly sweet with a clove-like spicy note and some grassy tones.

It is easy to tear chunks from a slab and they break up into spongy pieces of leaf. The texture is more akin to pressed leaf rather hard flakes. The description of bright and red virginias seems appropriate and there seems to be about an equal proportion of each present. Once broken up its consistency is very much similar to a ribbon cut, although it breaks up into approximately 13mm diameter flakes with many smaller constituents of varying sizes. It is a simple matter to carve slices from the soft cake with a razor blade in any case, and the bowl I am currently smoking was prepared in this manner and is exhibiting excellent flavor characteristics.

Moisture content was close to optimal for this sample, unlike some other pressed tobaccos, this one is not so tightly compacted that it traps excessive moisture. No doubt this tobacco would be a good candidate for some aging experiments and considering the plug format's inherent resistance to oxidation this blend could likely easily withstand many years of aging.

The broken up cake packs easily and lights well. According to my wife, "Its smells like burning wood or something. Its smells ok." She hates cigarette smoke, tolerates cigars, and loves the smell of pipes and especially latakia, so thats where she stands.

I find the taste to be good but somewhat mild; however, I am used to smoking those unsmokable virginias which tend to leave one's tongue sizzling for hours, so mild to me might be pretty strong for you. The flavor in this blend seems to stick in the middle range of virginia flavor without much for high notes but some bass notes. A citrusy aspect is missing, there is a subtle sweetness initially but it gradually fades into a deeper flavor. The blend does not impart an overly zingy glow to your mouth like many virginias, although the effect is present. Instead the flavor develops into somewhat of a tangy and possibly leathery or woody flavor, and delicious slightly bitter hints occasionally peek through. I guess that nutty describes the overall combination of flavors somewhat in a natural tobacco kind of way.

I would say that this reminds me something of Montgomery in its flavor profile, although its definately completely different from any other straight virginia that I have ever smoked this far. I like the flavors, and they present a tobacco taste that I have long sought but not found prior to this.

For a virginia, this is not a very bitey tobacco. Some of my favorite virginias are flavor and nicotine bombs which can leave one's mouth a chemical wasteland unless smoked with extreme caution. With virginias you often trade flavor against bite, but this particular blend still provides significant flavor while keeping bite to a minimum. In this respect, this is a virginia that can be a go-to smoke or possibly an all day smoke, which is an excellent quality for a bulk tobacco blend.

This is definately a solid bulk virginia bordering on greatness. I have upgraded it to four stars after smoking it for a week and getting used to it. I plan on getting more of this... lots more.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)

I have made the statement in other reviews that I do not really get the hearth and home Virginia blends. They are quality products but they never really peaked my interest much.

Marble Kake is the best one of the bunch I have had so far. This nice krumble kake is a mixture of mottled browns and has a beautiful Virginia aroma.

Keep in mind the sample I smoked for this review was aged about 6 years so your mileage may vary. This blend had a nice deep fig and raisin taste that any good middle of the road Virginia should have. It was very rich and definitely resonated with me as a Virginia lover.

Definitely recommended.

Age When Smoked: Purchased 2008

arfenhouse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arfenhouse (6)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

This is a good example of what I would call a 'standard VA' blend.

Slightly sweet, light hay, and light lemon. It's very mild and would make a good introduction into straight VAs. It's smooth, unoffensive, but lacks a 'wow factor'. Burns well and has a quick drying time. I prefer it in a narrower bowl as a wider bowl mutes the flavors too much.

Very pleasant room note which I enjoyed more than the flavor of the smoke.

2.75/4 stars. Would recommend if you;re looking for a mild VA.

Pipe Used: Peterson B42, Savinelli Duca Carlo Bent Billiard

Age When Smoked: 2mo

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Dunhill Royal Yacht.

serif365 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
serif365 (19)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This tobacco was my first pipe experience with straight Virginias. I particulary enjoy "working" the kake slices, cutting them into little chunks and then rolling them out. I gravity feed and lightly pack a Missouri Meerschaum General I reserved for smoking straight Virginia tobacco and it seems this was an excellent choice combination. The smoke is ample and the flavor is enticing, developing from very faint in the beginning to moderate in the middle to great in the end. I experienced no bite with Marble Kake but I do suggest smoking this blend in a pipe that has an easy draw. I smoked one bowl in a vintage MM cob with a small bore cane stem and after working very hard to keep the smoke flowing and the bowl burning my tongue was slightly raw from the effort. :) I started out with a 2 oz sample and I've since ordered more to cellar. I recommend this tobacco.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

This blend just seems rather flat to me. To give it the benefit of the doubt I jarred it for about four months and tried it again. Still uninspiring. I'm an English smoker who likes a good, rich Virginia, so it has to be something special to make it into my rotation. This one is just too plain, little complexity, with an ordinary tobacco flavor, lacking the sweet and rich sipping qualities of something like Blackwoods or FVF. It burned just fine in a meer, thoroughly rubbed out and lightly packed. I'm totally willing to give it a few more months, and it might make a fine blender, so I'll give it two stars.

kilted1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kilted1 (43)

Recently, pipesandcigars.com tobaccos have been getting lots of ?press? on the ASP Forum and Newsgroup. Mostly people have been talking about Russ Oullette's efforts. A fried sent me a sampling of several of the blends I'm most curious about and Marble Cake was among them.

Appearance: A nice selection of Red Virginia, and Bright Virginia in a dense crumble cake. Very nice mottling of colors from yellows and tans to red and browns.

Aroma: This mixture has a deep sweet aroma very enticing. Immediately one smells a deep hay-like quality, freshly mown hay, slowly drying in the summer sun. Deep, sharp and earthy. Carmel tones and nuts are evident, there is a slight sweet 'n sour tone and a smattering of mustiness.

This tobacco is nearly perfect in moisture breaking several pieces of the cake off I crumble thenI employed the ?once like a baby, once like a lady, finally like a gentleman? method of layered packing.

For this review I've chosen an Armellini Freehand dedicated to Virginia mixtures.

Lighting is very easy, and with a friendly ?lighting tamp? I was well on my way each time. As expected, the initial flavor very spicy, hay-like tones and smells and flavors of Autumn are abundant. Combustion is very self maintaining as promised, this very nearly smokes itself every time.

Mid Bowl: Approaching mid-bowl, the fullness tends to build in strength slowly along predictable lines. The Red Virginia begins to develop more of the deep fruity sweetness adding to the grassy qualities of the Bright. Unfortunately, this blend seems to get rather steamy and hot for me each time.

Home Stretch: As end of the bowl approaches, the expected complexity is just not there for me. This blend continues to be steamy and hot, tending toward tongue bite rather easily. The final third has matured nicely but the lack of complexity and steam just become a defining issue each time I've smoked it. I have plenty of fine well behaved Virginia mixtures in my cellar already and this one sadly won't make the cut.

Supplemental Notes: Marble Cake is probably a decent quality mixture, just not one I will be purchasing. Rating for those interested in numbers ** stars

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (59)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

H&H Marble Kake

Virginian Tobacco

Tin Notes: The tobacco from a freshly opened New Tin has a nice presentation of pressed cut flake. The Flakes are not a super hard composition that break apart easily and with proper moisture levels are ready to smoke without having any further preparations. The Aroma out of a new tin is slightly fruity with a touch of fermented or alcohol smell

The Burn: The tobacco is easy to light and burns well from start to finish. The Virginian Tobaccos have a light sweet taste that carries over from the tin note. There is a little bit of muskey/earthyness or Hay Like taste to this blend - but not bad at all. The New tin flavor may run a little flat and not overly impressive

But .... Mable Kake is an Easy Smoking Tobacco that should improve over time. The next time i get a tin of the tobacco i plan on aging it at least 6months to a year. Before Opening it Up

My 5 Start Rating = 3.5

Pipe Used: Briar, Pipestone, Meerschaum

Purchased From: sutliff

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

One of the few Hearth & Homes blends I would recommend. It may be because of the moist cake it comes in that keeps it from biting, or the simplicity of the straight virginia.

It kept cool and had a good body. I wish they would stick to these simple blends because it seems the tobacco is quality.

I would recommend this blend, however there is a learning curve with all cake/plug tobaccos.

Pipe Used: Peterson System (Bent)

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (37)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This is one of the best VA's I have tried to date. I can see the comparison between Hamborger Veermaster but where HV's flavor is more muted and thin, Marble Kake is full and round. Notes of citrus and a little spice here and there. Good sweetness and notes of straw and hay. I read reviews that compare this to Briar Fox, and I can see some similar characteristics here too but this is a stand on its own blend. The only drawback that I have is it did bite a little but the bite will increase if I continue to smoke. It was so little to start with I did not know if it was this blend or another but it was definitely this one. I have to smoke this is a small bowled meer. to avoid it and only 2 or 3 times a week. More than that and I do feel the burn.

That said, however, it is a great smoke, one I wish I could smoke very day. It is worth buying to cellar to see if aging will improve it. I will buy 8 oz. to try in 3-5.

Brown Pipeman 1940 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brown Pipeman 1940 (40)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a simple, good blend of straight Virginias. It has the typical Virginia flavors of hay mixed with something citrusy and it leaves a pleasant taste in the mouth. I still think Rolando's Own is the best Virginia blend Russ makes; but this is good. It is easy to pack and provides a cool smoke. I don't think I'll be buying it again, but it is still a good tobacco, especially if you're a new pipe smoker and want to know what Virginia tobacco is like.

Well I've never smoked Hamborger Veermaster but I have smoked C&D's Briar Fox and this blend has similarities. To me, Briar Fox, is an airy, fairly smooth stoved Virginia. Marble Kake is not, that is, not smooth and maybe should have been stoved. It has the ability to remove all feeling in my tongue ( I am a puffer). It is naturally sweet, low in "N" and not a heavy smoke but rather a non complex blend. I will cellar this and see if it mellows but I don't think this is one I need to buy again.

I just read some of the other reviews and was surprised to see others finding it similar to Briar Fox, and here I thought I was so informative!

I wasn't too sure if this tobacco would be my thing as straight Virginia's are not always at the top of my list so I just received a sample. This review would be based on that rather than the normal full tin I try to smoke before any review. With that in mind all I can say is WOW this is a good Virginia tobacco! My Kake was a broken into smaller pieces. When rubbed out the moisture leval is perfect. This tobacco appears in the pouch as mostly light pieces and the scent was a bit winey. I put "none detected" in the flavor box, but there was a slight stickiness that could be simply from the pressing of the tobacco. I'm not sure. I tend to be a bit of a "puffer" so I need a Virginia that is forgiving and Marble Kake is such a blend as it did not bite me, even when pushed a little. Marble Kake is sweet and when sipped, really sweet! (Not in a cased way). The sweetness remains throughout the bowl even though it grows more complex throughout. Many Virginia's are nuanced and subtle, Marble Kake is much more bold IMHO. I can only imagine what a couple of years in the cellar will bring to the blend. I'll be picking up a pound to find out! Highly Recommended!

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Russ Ouellette is continually proving himself to be remarkably talented as a master blender of fine tobaccos. Marble Kake is another fine example of his work. One of very few true Krumble Kake Virginias on the market today, Marble Cake will satisfy those who like a deeper flavor from their Virginia leaf without the added nicotine strength. A little on the airy side in that department, but the flavor of sweet taste with true depth really comes through with this one.

Knitpicker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knitpicker (3)

I haven't smoked a terribly wide variety of pure Virginia blends, but I can say that this has miles over McClelland's 2010. It's smooth, requires little to no drying, stays lit well, packs easily weather worked or not, has less bite, a sweeter flavor, and did I mention how smooth it is? I realize that palate may not be as cultured as others posting here, but if you're in the market for a good Virginia blend, give this a try, it may surprise you!

Mr. Ubiquity Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Ubiquity (16)

This is my first review in about 5 years, because Marble Kake is that good. I used to smoke Dunhill Flake quite a lot, but alas, it fell by the wayside. MK compares very well to it, and is much less expensive, and when I buy it, I am supporting an American company, which makes me feel good too. This is a light VA blend, so it can burn, but if you are a VA lover, the taste more than makes up for it. Nothing here but good clean Virginia tobacco taste with medium body. I think it is quite a lot better than Hamborger Veermaster.

BrSpiritus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrSpiritus (18)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

It took me a couple times to finally get into this tobacco but after trying it in my Savinelli churchwarden which is my dedicated Va pipe, oooo boy this stuff is tasty. Though I wouldn't go so far as to compare it to SG FVF, it is what it is... a nice golden VA that is properly aged and very smokeable right out of the bag. This is one I would like to try aging to see how the flavour changes over time.

MDP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MDP (33)

Marble Kake belongs with blends like Orlik Golden Sliced, Dunhill Flake, and the many other mild-medium flakes of brighter Virginias pressed on the Continent. Fragrant and not noticeably flavored, MK delivers solid Virginia flavors on the sweeter and grassy side of the spectrum of that well-known leaf.

I have the best results trickling large pieces into a wide bowl with shallow chamber, such as a pot. Sprinkle in some well-rubbed pieces to fill in the gaps and to ease the lighting ritual. Kept on the dry side, MK will smolder gently and provide creamy, caramel notes delivered on swirls of smoke.

If you need more complexity, Russ offers blends with more types of Virginias and condimental leaf. MK is an utterly relaxing blend and won't hurt my tongue unless I get careless.

DocCool Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DocCool (1)

A great tobacco I wasn't much on the presentation or the ammount of work it took to rub out. The tobacco is quality tobacco if your looking for a good Virgina this is a great option I had been smoking SG BBF but with the degree of dificulty in getting it I needed a go to for an all day smoke this one is that one not by any means BBF but a good substitute worthy of a try

Like most of Russ's blends, and I think i have smoked them all now, when you get them from the blender, they are a little green. One must let these blends sit awhile and let them meld. if you do, you are rewarded with some very tasty blends. This one is not different. It comes in broekn large cakes, looking much oke the range cubes I fed my cattle when I lived on a ranch. They do crumble easy but rub our hard. The tobacco appearance is a mix of light and dark irregular cut and it has a soft look and hand touch to it. I like most of my flakes dried out a lot, but this one can easily be dried out too much resulting in a very hot smoke. Dried out just right, where it is springy but not sticky, it results in a very tasty smoke without tongue bite and it smokes down the pipe at a nice even slow pace. The ash is a black and grey mottle and it smokes dry leaving a fine ash at the bottom of the pipe. It has a somewhat nutty, sweet taste to it, not the hay like, tart, citrusy taste a lot of VA's taste like. The room note is pleasant but not distinctive. It is not heavy in the air and room. It does satisfy but it is not overly heavy in the "N" factor. It is rather one dimentional but it is full bodied and a jot to smoke. I like this blend, no, it's not the best Va blend I have smoked but for the price it could be an all day smoke for many. I do recommend trying it.

str8blastpot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
str8blastpot (6)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

i was not nearly as impressed with this as i'd hoped. that said, it's a lovely, straightforward and remarkably friendly smoke. a good introduction to the pleasures of Virginia for those tiring of syrup. without the tempermental behaviors of many Va's. i find i favor the richer flavors of red and stoved Va's. i may return to this occasionally for it's simplicity alone. mown hay and spring breezes come to mind. but for me, old red, and anniversary kake rule the roost.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Ok, for those who can't figure it out, simply drop Marble Kake in a blender and hit it once or twice. It is a krumble kake, and not a soft one. So what? We are men and can handle it! And it is worth the wait, although I usual smoke it in loosely rubbed chunks. This is a very nice Virginia flake. Rather than a pressed ribbon, it is pressed shredded leaf of a Red, Bright variety. Slow smoking, it stays lit easily. It does not bite, smokes cool and has a depth and complexity not found in Russ Ouellette's other krumble kakes. It has a sweet and spicy edge.

One of my "go to" tobaccos.

drmeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drmeer (20)

Good, bulk priced cake tobacco. Difficult to break up, but once broken and dried a little it smokes down the the bottom. No bite.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)

Another good offering from Russ, and the fine people at P&C.

This Kake resembles weathered particle board. Nice and dry. Pinch off the needed amount to fill you favorite pipe. Lightly rub out....this stuff falls apart into a light flaky mixture of bright, and red Va. tobacco. Easy pack, light, and burn. Mildly semi sweet taste. This blend has much competition, but with form, and price it holds it's own with more expensive Virginias. May not be "THE BEST" but is not far behind. Rate *

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)

I find this tobacco with a wonderful flavor. I would smoke a great deal more of it save for the fact that it burns much too hot for me.

In addition, the effort required to cut the cakes of tobacco just isn't worth the time and energy.

bighitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bighitter (37)

I enjoy this mostly alone, sometimes as a blender as I've found it interferes very little with other Virginia tobaccos I smoke. It reminds me of Cornell and Diehl's pressed brick tobaccos such as Briar Fox as mentioned below, though this is nowhere near the depth of flavor of a Night Train. It's a great Virginia blend though, especially about halfway through the bowl where some of the mellow nuttiness/grassiness really comes through. Otherwise it's not incredibly deep in flavor but generally has that wispiness of natural Virginia hay/grass/nut sheets of vanishing taste mentioned below. It is a very neutral tobacco, one that loads and smokes well, that tastes good, and is a great buy.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)

Do you enjoy an honest-to-goodness, old fashioned American virginia smoke? No casings, no flavorings, no goop; just a subtle dry hay and grass flavor with hints of natural sweetness? Welcome, this is Marble Kake. I would recommend this tobac to experienced pipe smokers since the myriad of tantalizing sweet aromas are fleeting. However, the foundation and bass notes are solid. Puff gently and ponder; do not hurry, and you'll be transported back to an old stone hearth in colonial Virgina.

Only two tobaccos invoke these images to me...C&D Briar Fox and HH Marble Kake.

aj

lensman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lensman (30)

The first Russ Ouellette blend to be loaded into one of my pipes is Marble Kake. It won't be the last. This pipe-weed is beautiful to behold, resembling, as others have said, a brownie. So much so that one is tempted to eat it. The aroma is mown hay. It was a delight to rub MK out, and an easy load. Once charred, the burn was even to the bottom.

The smoker is greeted with much natural sweetness, and almost no tang. I detect no citrus or floral notes. While there is not much complexity, there is also no lack of depth. The nuances of American VA are present to be savored. If you're not familar with such nuance, it is possible to find MK on the bland side of things. Delicious all the way through, improving toward the end of the bowl, with thick smoke, and nary a bite. This is one of the most bite-free VAs I've had the pleasure of smoking, and what a welcome change that is. In short, I've made a new friend.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

If you hate American virginias, don't try or review this. But if you love the sweet, piquant taste of VA in a rich pressed form, this is the stuff to try. I swiped a few bars at Russ Ouellette's table at the Chicago P & T, and I'm glad I did. I don't care much for the 10 to Midnight, prefering the more powerful, aggressive C & D Pirate Kake of that genre. This reminds me of C & D's Blockade Runner, though this is richer, more flavorful and not nippy to the throat or tongue. It breaks off like chewy nougat, rubs out beautifully and packs well in the pipe. Unlike most krumble kakes, it remains firm and does not break up into a dusty powder. I love the texture as well as the mottled brown and gold colors. Very fine stuff from a very good blender and tobacco shop.

Three and a half of five stars ------------------- august update 2006

Smoke this stuff quickly and be sure to ask for the tinned version, as I'm hoping that will retain more moisture than bulk. After this stuff turns to wormwood, it's impossibly dry and you can't pack anything less than large chunks in your bowl. Also it starts to burn terribly hot and loses all its delightfully nutty flavors. I'll not get this in bulk again, and hopefully it will be more moist and spongy the next time.

Two of five stars

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)

Gives new meaning to the term "flake." Very dense little bars rub out into dusty little flakes somewhat like uncooked oatmeal. Burns a little hot, though certainly not outside of the range characteristic of this type of VA blend. Damned nice flavor, though---a lingering sweet, natural 'earthiness.' It works just fine in my all-purpose VA flake pipe, and lighting, etc, are easy.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (44)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

PROS: It is a crumble cake, nice red and bright tobacs,good and sweet. packs nicely lights alright, good price, smokes to a nice ash.ahhhhhh=).

CONS:had to wait a week for this beauty,should of tryed sooner.

This is my first crumble cake and I love the stuff ,After breaking apart the needed tobac for my pipe it just payed off well,the aroma in my smoke gave of a nutty-hay like bliss. After the first bowl it got a little milder and then poof I was done.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm currently having a promising romance with Marble Kake. I have to admit, I thought the first couple of bowls were pretty bland, but something kept my interest. I had never smoked a crumble cake before. As my experience in preparation increased, so did my satisfaction with this blend. Every bowl seems to yield some new flavor or nuance. The burn is exceptional, and I don't think you could make this blend bite your tongue if you tried.

The flavor is slightly sweet and pretty earthy, but rather toned down compared to other blends, like Louisiana Red. It really could be an all-day blend if that's what you are looking for; it requires little attention once it's rubbed out and is priced right. All in all, a wonderful Virginia blend that's smooth, not too sweet, and burns wonderfully once you get the hang of preparing it. Highly recommended!

This blend is in the form of ~ 4"x1/2"x1/2" slabs that were compressed so hard, that I found it difficult to break or strip. It was also on the dry side so the prep work to load a bowl was not worth the effort. How can they call it a crumble cake when you have to cut it? Uneven loading/packing resulted in hot spots or multiple relights but this could have been from my technique. Although the taste was enjoyable on those occasions where I obtained an even burn, the strength was less than my normal choices that usually include Perique.

Elric Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elric (34)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I'm two for three on RO blends. Marble Kake is another masterpiece from Russ. Other reviewers have covered MK at length. Just let me add that, in addition to being very good, it is also not prone to bite. This is my first exposure to a krumble kake preparation and I must say that I like it. It holds moisture longer in a travel pouch and also provides multiple smoking options. Good stuff!

prison chaplain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prison chaplain (38)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

12-21-2005 I have been doing a side-by-side comparison between Marble Kake and Louisiana Red, also by Pipes and Cigars. My fondness for Marble Kake is growing. I have had no tongue bite. It lights and burns well. And the taste is very nice. To my taste, it is the better of the two above. A very well behaved and thoroughly enjoyable tobacco.

Marbel Kake is is my first experience with a crumble cake. It looks for all the world like particle board, or an organic nutrition bar one would find at a health food store. My four ounce "cake" glistened with a lovely sheen (natural oils?).

The cake breaks up into pieces that easily fill the bowl. The moisture is on the money. I really like the taste, a nice, full, smooth taste of good Virginia tobaccos. I took a little extra time to get this blend burning well, and I think I needed one relight. I will buy this tobacco again.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (161)

This is another fine blend from Russ at P&C. For me, MK delivered a ?toasty-roasty? mild and mellow taste/flavor with a subdued sweetness that was pure delight. I did not find it overly complex but it does weave a subtle tapestry between the red and bright VAs, i.e., nicely balanced. Its burning qualities are excellent and relights few. I am rapidly becoming a big fan of P&C blends. They are not to be missed!

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 9.6 out of 10.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (127)

There are a lot of excellent Virginia blends out there. This one is not in the top 100, at least in my opinion. There is a sharpness to this blend that I didn't like. It also burned very quickly and a little hot. It definitely is not a Hamborger Veermaster to which it is compared.

A Viginia blend in a pressed format. It does resemble partical board. My sample came a little on the moist side. No problem though as it fired right up after a little attention and smoked smoothly all the way down. Handle with care however, it seems to crumble very readily. It wouldn't take much to end up too dry and broken into small particles from being hauled around in a pouch. A very tasty Virginia without much bite but plenty of flavor. One note of negativity is the aroma. It smells pretty good while smoking, but the after odor on the clothes reminds me of stale cigarette smoke. Well recommended.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Medium None Detected Extra Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I received my sample of Marble Kake through a tobacco trade with pipemaker Lannes Johnson (thanks, Lannes!). It arrived rubbed out and very dry, and this is the way I smoked it. Marble Kake is an attractive tobacco in the pouch, with equal parts bright and red Virginia leaf. I used two pipes for the test, a fully bent Peterson and a 1/4 bent Stanwell. My tastes in tobacco normally run first and foremost to burley blends, but I also enjoy other types, too. MK loaded easily in both pipes and was lit with two charring lights. It's burn qualities were better than average, as was its' relighting rate.

The real treat comes when you begin puffing on this delightfully complex blend. The flavor starts off with a rich sweetness from the red leaf, then progresses to a zesty tang from the bright Virginias. As the smoke progresses, these two tastes intertwine in a wonderful tribute to the blender's art. Towards the bottom of the bowl, the tangy notes take over and the smoke finishes with a peppery tingle on your palatte. The tobacco burns down to a medium ash with no dottle.

The last treat with MK is its' very reasonable price. There are many high priced bulk blend Virginias that cannot compare to MK, in fact there are a lot of tinned blends not nearly this good. And the folks at Pipes and Cigars give fast, first-rate service.

I am revising my rating system because I've decided taste should always be the most important factor in the selection of any tobacco. My top taste rating is now 20 points, and I'm giving 18 to MK. Lighting and burn rate score 8 out of 10, and price is a perfect 10 of 10. That makes a total of 36 points out of a possible 40. Marble Kake is a big four star blend and a permanent addition to my tobacco cabinet.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (64)
Mild None Detected Very Full Pleasant

I ordered a 4 oz sample from Russ to try and when it arrived i was very pleased to find two large red and golden yellow bricks of tobacco. The pouch aroma is very light and airy and the tobacco feels only slightly moist, perfect moisture level for me. This blend is easy to pack being a crumble cake, and if you leave the little shreds of tobacco out to dry for a few minutes the burn is exceptional and leaves no dottle. The flavor is that of a very sweet and light virginia blend and does not produce dense smoke but definatley keeps my interest. This is a morning smoke when anything else would be overwhelming and should be smoked before other heavier blends IMO. The price is very satisfactory and i just love the little bricks it comes as. A great smoke for sure.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Marble Kake has a toasty bottom and lot's of VA tastyness. Very akin to Hamborger Veermaster, with the Red VA giving this Krumble cake plenty of positive merits all its own. Smooth, toasty, nutty and full of flavor. Being that it is a true kruble Kake it affords the option of preparing as desired. This is a 4 star VA blend!

The Kake in the tin is more like thick strips of a pure mild to medium Virginia blend with no topping. An extremely light tanginess from the red Virginia works well with the others, which offer a mellow sweetness and a tame light citrus note. There is slight grass essence or two that contrasts well with the inherent earthiness of the brown Virginia. The strips break apart with ease, allowing for a very smooth and even burn with virtually no moisture at the finish. It's not a complex blend, and the nic-hit is mild. It's a well crafted starting place for those looking to venture into the realm of straight Virginias. The experienced smoker might feel it lacks some depth compared to stronger Va. offerings, but may also welcome a lighter change of pace. I imagine this blend will age exceptionally well when cellared.

Smokey45 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokey45 (16)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This tobacco came with several other tobaccos from pipesandcigars.com in a grouping from Hearth & Home called "Steve B's VA Elite." These tobaccos are collectively just not my cup of tea....or bowl of tobacco, as it were.

I found this tobacco, like the others in the collection, to be harsh, irritating to the throat, burns way too hot, and lacking in any kind of real flavor. As I have noted in my review of AJ's VaPer, these might be good tobaccos for the ex-cigarette smoker. But to me, they do not embody the cool, smooth, flavorful smoking experience that one thinks of when thinking of pipe smoking.

raadman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raadman (31)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Purchased a 1 lb bag because of the price and reviews but was disappointed. Came in very dry cake slabs that did not break up easily even with a hammer! They should rename this Granite Kake. Tobacco nuggets were hard to light, keep lit and taste was average at best and bitter at times while burning fairly hot...oh well, back to my favorite Va...Veermaster.

Peterson bent brandy

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (69)

This is a bit sweeter than Veermaster, which isn't a bad thing.

I was a bit lazy in the rubbing and loaded a few small chunks into my bowl. It was difficult to light and keep lit at first.

The taste is wonderful - a great virginia blend with an excellent interplay between VA flavors.

Recommendation: made.

Images granted: of being under dire obligations by the Sicilian mob to play a game of snooker for the life of a certain individual. Knowing I am terrible at the game, I still experience grand elation with the hidden knowledge that this bastard of contention was unduly flirtatious with my mistress some weeks previous.

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (40)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

This is another "Home and Hearth" blend from Russ Ouellette of pipesandcigars.com. Described as a crumble cake of Virginias, both bright and red.

The appearance is a beautiful rectangular bar of moist dark brown to light leaves. It almost looks like a freshly-baked brownie. The scent is subtly sweet and intriguing. The bits break off easily and it is moist enough to be able to cut into perfectly square pieces.

Upon the initial light I am greeting with a sweet and tangy flavor of a good Virginia. I do not detect any casing, just pure tobacco. After the first third of the bowl, the smoke seems to become hot and difficult to keep lit. The flavor seems to transform to steam instead of smoke. The only way to get any flavor is to get a big cloud of smoke going and then even that only makes it harsh. Further down the bowl I occasionally get a very slight cinnamon-like sweetness but it seems few and far between. The rest of the bowl seems to be flavorless and that I am just "going through the motions" of smoking.

To summarize, this blend seems to lack any flavor or satisfaction. It takes more effort to smoke this than it is worth. I smoked two ounces of this in various pipes. I smoked it in virgin cob and briars as well as well-established pipes that have smoked Virginias...all of which returned the same results. Perhaps it is my body chemistry, my sense of smell/taste or perhaps I am just missing something but this is not something I will be ordering again.