Black Cavendish with a most universally admired aroma and taste.

Blended ByMcClelland
Manufactured ByMcClelland
ContentsBlack Cavendish
Very Mild, Mild
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

McClelland - No. 615 Calypso.

It's on the coarser side, and jet black. I had no problem smoking it fresh from the pouch, it wasn't too moist.

The flavour? Strange. The name Calypso had me awaiting a tropical, fruity, taste, but that's not the case. I get none of the usual vanilla from the black Cavendish, the main flavour's mildly smoky. I also get very little sweetness from it. The burn's good right from the start, distributing a cool, bite-free, smoke.

Nicotine: not much. Room-note: not nice.

I don't like this, at all. Not recommended:

One star.

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: One month

Purchased From:

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (98)

This is an Aromatic, kinda damp, all jet black cavendish tobacco. It is sweet and has no bite. The flavourig is something I cannot put my finger on. I wouldn't purchase this tobacco to smoke on it's own again in a million years...BUT, Mix this 1/4 lbs. with C&D's Pirate Kake 1/4 lbs. mix in 2 oz of Mcclelland's x-40 buley. Mix it all well and let it sit for a week. This makes a great English blend. Smooth, mellow, creamy, sMOkEy. I call it Davey Jones Locker.

Update: A year later and this is still wonderful!(Davy Jones, anyway)

F. Prefect Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
F. Prefect (24)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This is another McClelland aromatic I received in a sampler containing 11 blends. In appearance it was identical to #600 Special Black with somewhat similar burning characteristics.

I realize it's not completely fair to judge a tobacco based upon one ounce, every bowl I smoked, including in one case my first bowl of the day, about the only "taste" I experieced was sweet, if one wants to consider sweet to be a taste. I suppose the best descriptin of this blend is "flat" and would not be on my recommended list. One star

F. Prefect