An all day smoke which consists of Syrian Latakia, Perique and unsweetened black cavendish.

Notes: Discontinued Blend.

2.7
LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (76)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

As much as I hate to review a blend that no longer exist this one compel to do so, great all around blend, one of The few Latakia blends that I've tried that does not tire my palate is a shame that warehouse burned down and all the Syrian Latakia went away with it. If you cand fine an old tin buy and appreciated for all it is.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)

So I have been sitting on this tin since July of "05" and figured it was time to give her a whirl. Shame this one is no longer available. Perfect moisture content. Nice cool black cavendish with just the right kick of Latakia and Perique.

This one burns nice from fill to knock out. Nice full sweetness of the Cavendish and a nice spicy smokey richness from the flavoring tobaccos. Black Dawg is good offering in this category. I usually don't purchase Cavendish blends. I think I purchased this one because of the Black Lab an the label.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (117)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable to Strong

i had a tin in my drawer for a few years now. Having recently found out that this blend is discontinued, I had to crack the tin open. The mixture seemed to be very black and dusty looking. Now this tin was not at all dried out. So, I packed up a bowl in my pipe and lit it up. I was expecting a heavy taste but there was actually very litte tast at all no bit a little aroam of Perique. This blend is very musky and smokey. Good with a single malt whiskey. And also good as noted for an all day smoke. It is enjoyble even though the taste is very slight. I would say that this is a good blend when you want to just blow out some smoke from you pipe. I can't say anything bad about this blend. Tryt if you can find it. Next time I will crack open a tin of there Yellar Dawg. which I have as well.

Group 4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Group 4 (8)

So many other reviewers have written about this accurately it?s hard to know what to add. So I?ll just hit the high points. Used to smoke this very regularly. Perhaps got burned out on it and ventured elsewhere. Have since come back to it -- my 4 or so tins have been aging since early 2003 -- and it?s as good as I remember. It?s a black and brown mix, short cut for easy -- almost cube-like loading. I had to re-wet my tin since it?s been sitting for so long. After a day of rewetting it was at a nice, dry consistency, ready for smoking. While others have cited the McClelland-ketchup smell (I remember it when the tin was fresh) so much aging has kicked it down so it?s almost undetectable. I?ll admit this tobacco is a little bit of a one-tricky pony: the taste you begin with is the one you end up with. This could be a problem if it wasn?t so satisfying. Overall, Dawg is a full mixture but it doesn?t fill up your mouth with voluminous smoke, nor does it burn hot. It smolders, coolly. If you draw hard on it to get more flavor you could risk a little tongue bite, but that hasn?t been a problem for me. In fact, it?s very forgiving. Taste-wise it?s one of those conglomerations of sweet and smoky. There?s Perique in it but it?s very subdued. The latakia and unsweetened cavendish are the main players. It?s very balanced and would be a wonderful outdoor or workshop tobacco: to be enjoyed while doing other things.

Medium None Detected Medium Strong

Revised 04-13-2005

This just a straight-forward, middle-of-the-road, latakia blend with the syrian doing the driving and the cavendish providing a good base.It is at perfect moisture out of the tin, dark, packs easily, one re-light and enjoy. The Syrian in this blend was not the delicious smoky version that recently was destroyed, but still different than the Cyprian variety. The perique is definitely way in the background and reminds you it is there like a little child peeping through a doorway, which is okay by me. It builds a little strength down the bowl, leaves a grey mottled ash, no dottle, no toungue-bite, just not a bell ringer for this piper.This blend seems to be the base from which Missippi Mud started.

My tin is about one and a half years old. The tobacco is a dark brown and black somewhat chunky mixture. The moisture content was just slightly high. This tin had no plastic bag inside just a soft folded paper likea coffee filter. This is an unusual mixture. The Cavendish takes the place usually occupied by Virginia and/or Oriental tobaccos. It lit quickly for being slightly moist and burned well. The flavor is mostly the Syria Latakia and the Cavendish with subtle hints of the Perique. I did enjoy this tobacco blend but it really is like no other I have smoked. A good change of pace or perhaps for someone wanting an English/ Balkan without the Turkish. I give it three and one half stars.