This is a very dark, virtually black shag cut Virginia tobacco that has a full, deep flavor. The stoving produces a mellow smoke that is easy on the tongue and palate.

BrandCharles Fairmorn
ContentsCigar Leaf, Kentucky, Latakia
CutShag
Strength
Medium, Strong
Taste
Medium to Full, Full
Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong

I purchased a tin of this tobacco not long ago simply because I liked the name. I enjoy dark, well stoved Virginia leaf and I appreciate shag cut tobacco because it is easy to pack and stays lit well.

I am not sure whether this is a new Fairmorn offering, but it is certainly a good one. The taste is similar to the visual presentation; strong and dark. Not really any sweetness here, just straight forward tobacco taste.

I have read other reviewers refer to some tobaccos as having a "campfire" taste. Personally, I've never tasted campfire, but if I ever do, I'm sure it'll remind me of Dark Fired Shag, which does have a woodsey, smokey taste. This tobacco has also been stoved to the point where it is biteless. As a comparison, it is similar to Walnut Flake, but not nearly as strong or as naturally bitter.

I believe this Fairmorn offering will age beautifully, so I have added a few tins to my tobacco cellar (Coleman Cooler, hall closet, top shelf.)

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (115)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

To my palate, this is the most refined dark shag you can put in your pipe. Absent are any traces of bite, any cigar like overtones, overbearing off tastes, or floral/soapy notes.

Just a very smooth dark espresso like VA flavor with no variance, with the familiar element of dark fired throughout. It is very full in the nicotine department, but not absolutely overwhelming. Its ultrafine cut means you have to be careful in packing and smoking. Room aroma is tolerable as well. A good tobacco for the hairy chested ryo crowd too.