A smooth blend of Cyprian Latakia,Perique and unsweetened black Cavendish. An all-day smoke

Blend TypeAmerican
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
Cashmere Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cashmere (11)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A very interesting tobacco. Stick your nose in the dark, loose flakes and you'll get a whiff of smoke and a thick sweet chocolately smell... and something else... kinda like a cherry bonbon. That makes it sound sickly sweet, but it's really not. And it's one of the easiest blends to pack and keep lit that I've come across. Lighting up produces an exceptionally thick cloud of smooth and very cool smoke. What smelled sweet in the tin now turns into a very nice roundness on the palette. The Latakia is there, but not at all overpowering, and the Perique too is rather restrained: more of a nice nose tickle than a sharp spiciness on the tongue. I haven't tried Mississippi Mud. I gather it's not what you'd call "well mannered," but this definitely is.

The tin label calls Sam's Blend "an all-day smoke," and that, I think is key. I like the taste of Latakia, but even the most refined blends (I'm thinking 965, Margate, and Schurch Onyx) often leave an ashy taste in my mouth: a couple bowls will make me feel like I need to scrub my tongue if I'm going to enjoy anything else. This doesn't do that.

If we were still on the "how often" system, I'd have to have to give this three stars, because I've become a confirmed Virginia smoker. But now that we're on a "how good" system, and can comfortably give it four: this is an excellent all-day blend for those who lean toward Latakia, and -- I would think -- a delightful change of pace for everyone else. ==/==

DavidP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DavidP (24)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

A unique tobacco - it's both mild (from the Cavendish) and interesting (from the Latakia & Perique). If you puff on it without thinking about the tobacco you might not get much out of it but with a little pondering the smokiness and tartness will come out to play.

While I don't think I'll be getting this one again I would recommend this for the "all day" smoker looking for an upgrade from a more pedestrian Cavendish blend.

Purchased From: SmokingPipes

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

There's a lot to like about this intriguing blend. Moisture levels are excellent right out of the tin, packing is easy, and the stuff has all the bite of a toothless lap dog. And if you find 'smokiness' to be a genuine virtue in a tobacco (as I do), then you can't go wrong here because Sam's Blend billows like a brush fire. The flavors are extremely mild with the figgy Perique part and the smoky-herbal Latakia part combining to produce a quiet, oddly ash-flavored whole.

So why the lowly two stars?

Well, I'm three quarters of the way through a tin and Sam hasn't yet given me a memorable smoke. To my mind, Sam's Blend is an out of touch blend, a tobacco for an earlier time when you really could have a smoldering pipe stuffed into your jaw all day and a near mute flavor intensity was desirable. Such times are passed (sadly, or not, depending on your perspective) and I submit that many pipe smokers prefer more intensity of flavor in their tobacco because the number of bowls they smoke has declined. Two or three bowls (on a good day) is all I can smoke 'All Day' and I suspect that such numbers are common--maybe even high.

If you live in one of those charming places or you have reached an age where having an 'All Day' smoke makes sense, then this quiet little blend makes sense. If you live anywhere else, then you might want to stick to something with a little more oomph.

Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

First, I love the name Sam. It is simple and unassuming, easy to spell and pronounce and doesn't offend, surprise or confound. With most Sams that I know, what you see is what you get.

The above describes this C&D tobacco blend.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is not a bad smoke, although for it's class of sort of milder English blends I prefer Epiphany, but it's good stuff. I would say the dominant characteristic of this blend is smoothness and for that, it's great. The perique gave it just enough of a flavor, but I would have preferred some VA's in there as well, to me the black cavendish was washed out by the latakia and did absolutely nothing for the blend. Probably not one I'll rush out and buy, but it was a good grab and smoke upon visiting a friend in Germany, he had some on his coffee table so I had a few bowls during my stay with him.

dogsplayinpoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dogsplayinpoker (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is one of the few latakia blends that I enjoy on a regular basis. The ingredients merge nicely especially with a decent amount of aging(1 yr or more). Some have said that it is a bland or flat smoke. I would call it a smoke that you quickly get familiar with and thereafter, holds no surprises. Perfect for an everyday smoke that you can rely on to please you as a daily ritual. I have a bowl every morning with a french roast on the way into work. Some blends are for "rare and delicate" and some are for "dependable and understated". Sam's is the latter.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

the smoothness is great. --------------------------------------- Buono questo blend, non c'è che dire. Ha un gusto levigatissimo, morbido e vellutato, non pizzica la lingua neppure se surriscaldi, ha un fumo molto fresco. E' certamente aromatizzato al caffe, e mancano gli orientali, dunque non è il mio genere. Ma se cerchi un tabacco spensierato e morbido come un paio di pantofole imbottite potrebbe piacerti. La complessità a mio parere è inesistente. Monocromatico a dir poco.

pipeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeman (14)

Well i have to say i'm still new to the non aromatics but this blend is everything i hoped it would be.It smoked dry and cool and always stayed moist,never had to spray with distilled water to bring back the perfect amount of moisture.At times it would get a little strong towards the end but other than that the it was perfect.The unsweetened Cavendish was a good touch,it complimented the other two and vice versa.It is truly an all day smoke and who the blend was dedicated to is what really made me want to try this,great idea.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Sit. Down. Stay. Good Dog! Your treat is a bowl of this outstanding Cavendish blend. Sweet. Smoky. Spicy.

With smokes like Sam's, this lad should get into the tobacco business. He has great potential.

Sweet, but not with a fast food creamy treat sort of delivery, just well done tobacco sweetness. A deft hand with the seasonings of Latakia and Perique. Perfect moisture. Doesn't leave a ghost in the wood aside from a slight smoky note.

I just need to figure out how I can smoke this while I'm sleeping.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Wow! Some very good stuff here.It is described as a rework of Black Dog, but uses Cyprian instead of Syrian Latakia.Whatever it is ,it is wonderful!I never smoked Black Dog,but I have smoked Mississppi Mud and this is a much more palatable and lighter verion of that.Latakia,Perique,and unsweetened black cavendish are the ingredients and they produce an absolutely smooth, silky,and luxurious taste.IMHO this is the same blend and almost the same taste sans the heavy nicotine content.If you want to know the true taste and characteristics of this blend-read the Miss. Mud reviews. 4 of 4 stars.

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This tobacoo is quite an accomplishment in creating a mild tobacco that has character and depth. This is a wonderful blend when you want a milder smoke but won't settle for bland. Both the Latakia and Perique make their presence known and I'm very impressed with the unsweetened black cavendish as the base.

My first thoughts when I opened the first tin was - Oh no! This is going to be sweet candy goop. Not true at all. While the tin aroma (at first opening) reminded me of a freshly glazed creme brulee ... the first puff of the char light dispelled any rumors that this was going to be a candy pipe tobacoo nightmare. In fact, I was taken aback by the creaminess, and latakia and very subtle perique notes all in few seconds. I'm not an alchemist, but my guess is that a certain magic happens with these three tobaccos. The latakia is latakia ... it's not hard to notice nor is it grandstanding or exceptional. The perique, seems to transform into something new with the Black Cavendish. In my tastes this is interesting ... and I understand that the most incredible accomplishment of this blend is that it is not strong nor bland.

This blend is exceptional and delivers what I believed they intended. A mild blend that has interest, smokes cool, is creamy and interesting. For me it is exceptional for quite often while traveling I'm forced to cower in the corner of a hotel room that has already declared war on smokers (or go outdoors with a substantial balkan friend.) I just don't enjoy room deodorizer tobaccos and I would rather not smoke if I can only find something that has IMO no flavor. Why bother? So for me this is the quintessential crossover tobacco ... that merges mildness, with flavor and interest. The room note is mild , pleasant and doesn't take up residence. A great option.

It packs easily, pipe choice is irrelevant (bigger the better for me with this) it smokes cool and dry, very creamy thick smoke and burns completely to a gray-white ash.

Cheers, VC

*Update for the above 11/05 review - I've downgraded this because its place in my rotation - not because of any quality issues.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

If Mississippi Mud is a little too heavy for you, then you definitely will enjoy Sam's Blend. While MM is rich, chocolatey and very full flavored, SB is on the lighter side, allowing the Latakia to sing rather than shout and cooled nicely by the unsweetened black cavendish. It's also a less nicotine rich blend and less bitey, especially during the cold, dry winter months. MM tends to be an end of the day blend. The Perique adds just the right amount of acidity to the mix. An all day tobacco that is reliable and pure pleasure to smoke.

Four of five stars

----------------------

aug 2006 update

I'm downgrading. Painfully dry and hard to keep lit. This is Black Dog with a little less vinegar to the mix. I still prefer Mississippi Mud, but haven't had that in awhile, and knowing C & D, they may have messed with that one, too. If you're going to go the dark cavendish, cream latakia route, stick with MM and avoid this lighter, less committed version.

Two and a half of five stars

Jason S. Rundle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jason S. Rundle (6)

I was an avid smoker of Black Dawg, in fact, it was my all day smoke. Sam's Blend is a a rework of Black Dog, but uses Cyprian instead of Syrian Latakia. I have smoked Mississppi Mud and this is a much lighter verion of that. Latakia,Perique,and unsweetened black cavendish are the ingredients and they produce an absolutely smooth, silky,and luxurious taste. This is a wonderful blend when you want a milder smoke but won't settle for bland. Both the Latakia and Perique make their presence known and I'm very impressed with the unsweetened black cavendish as the base. In many respects, Sam's Blend manages to be both interesting and bland at the same time. Sometimes you're almost forced to go looking for the subtleties of the Latakia and Perique, which can be a rewarding experience in its own right.

I am smoking Sam's Blend in my Peterson Rosslare Royal Irish Fishtail right now, thinking about Black Dawg. I do still miss my Black Dawg, but this is a new welcomed companion.

porshcigar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
porshcigar (27)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

A great blend and a true all day smoke. I am on my second tin and more will be purchaser. Lights and burns well. Cool and dry. No bitter taste or bad ending. I smoke this on a rotation with other latakia blends and I enjoy this just as well as my long time favorites.

jpberg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jpberg (2)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

To be fair, my main criticisms of this blend are spelled out on it's label; "Smooth" & "All day". I can't really find anything bad to say about this blend, other reviewers have spoken well on the flavorings, this is obviously quality tobacco, there is just not enough here to interest me in another tin.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This stuff is very light on the Latakia and Perique--they barely make their presence known. The main component, then, is the Cavendish. What does unflavored Cavendish taste like? Well, it's Burley, so yeah--this tastes a lot like that. It's more subdued and very mild though, so don't look to get run over by a fat taste factor as suggested by the darkness of this blend.

In many respects, Sam's Blend manages to be both interesting and bland at the same time. You're almost forced to go looking for the subtleties of the Latakia and Perique, which can be a rewarding experience in its own right. But I'm not one for treasure hunts, so I'll pass.