African, Turkish and Virginia pipe tobaccos with LATAKIA added

2.3
smoker390 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoker390 (36)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Not far off from #10 Downing Street. A good place to start for an intro to English. For an experienced smoker, this blend will taste like burnt cardboard from heavy puffing in the quest for sufficient flavor. This is just a half step up from Barking Dog or Walnut - blends I left behind when I stepped up from the minors!

Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

Well, the name of the blend is certainly right on.

This one gave me a little nip on the tip of my tongue. My puffer puffed too hard trying to find some flavor and my waggle got in the way searching for the same thing.

Moisture content was perfect. The ribbon cut was short enough to make packing easy. The room note didn't send the dog scurrying from the room (but the wife did leave saying something about having to do some chores outside.)

Oh well.....

RyinMD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyinMD (8)

This is one of the many, many blends Sutliff got when it took over Altadis's line of pipe tobaccos. It is billed as a mild English tobacco, and it succeeds at what it says it wants to be - a MILD English. It's not a Balkan or any sort of overpoweringly heavy blend. Here's how the company website describes it (to differentiate it from any description your local tobacconist may use).

African, Turkish, and Virginia tobaccos with Latakia added wherein the Latakia does not overwhelm the blend. The smoothest Latakia blend ever to be presented to the pipe smoker. Great for those just discovering English mixtures.

I do not fall into the category of those just discovering English mixtures, and this is maybe my second favorite in the category, my favorite being RC-272 - one of the Red Lion (I dunno why it's not RL) blends that Altadis and now Sutliff now owns and manufactures. A good light English, like this one, is generally what I prefer for an all-day smoke, although I occasionally switch that up.

I prefer this as a change of pace and slightly different taste to my regular blend when I still want to stay within the light English category. The blend tastes somewhat sweet as I smoke it, and it can get a bit wet, depending on which pipe I use. Plan to use a cleaner or four. Someone else mentioned detecting a maple aroma. I detect something sweet-ish in the blend's tin (er bag) note, but I don't think maple. Maybe it is, though. Georgetown Tobacco uses this for Councilman and says the African from Malawi gives the blend its sweet note and mellows out the Latakia.

If you like a light English, you will probably like this one. If you are looking for something heavier that gets most of its flavor from the Latakia, this blend isn't for you.

Stu D. Baker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stu D. Baker (3)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

This is my "break from the other stuff" tobacco.

It has a sweet and woody aroma that matches its very very mild flavor. It also smells a little bit like fresh sawdust. I enjoy the smell of fresh sawdust. My wife likes it when I smoke this one.

I only seem to detect latakia (if there is, indeed, any) after I've re-lit a bowl I've let sit for an afternoon.

There are better blends, but this one is nice to keep around.

*UPDATE

With this blend, I've had a difficult time pinpointing the flavor that keeps me coming back to it. I have finally figured it out: there is a sort of maple note that I really enjoy in this tobacco. For me, this has since turned into a wonderful morning smoke.

Precourt93 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Precourt93 (8)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I ordered a sample pack with this blend as one of the blends. I packed it and it wasn't too wet at all, it was the perfect moisture content. Of course, you can never guarantee perfectness with a bulk blend. I found that it lit very easily and that is kept lit very easily as well. The two things I weren't a fan off were that although it was the perfect moisture content when it arrived, it got dry quickly. I usually store my tobacco in mason jars and I didn't store this in one so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. The other thing that I didn't like was that it burned very quickly, very very quickly. With my standard pipe it takes me an hour usually to smoke a bowl, yet it took me only 20 minutes to smoke a bowl of this. Great Blend overall, my first english and I love it.

workingstiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
workingstiff (39)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

I like this well enough, but then again I am often happy puffing away on very simple blends. It doesn't light my fire, not quite simple enough to use as a mixer and not quite complex enough to hold my interest. Still it is very smokeable compared to some of the Altadis blends.

Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

This is not a bad blend really, it's just very mild and not heavy like a lot of English blends. It comes not too wet and it lights and stays lit well. I think it could use a little more body, but would be a good one for someone looking to learn how to smoke an English and Latakia. While it will not be a regular for me, I don't find it that bad either. I mixed with some burley and it smoked better kind of like Walnut. As I don't like a heavy Latakia, I find it to be better than the reviews here. Not a matter of graduating to the "big boys", it is a matter of personal tastes.

Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Though this blend is very inexpensive, I feel there are other far superior blends in the same price range. For a budget, light English, I would recommend Middleton's Walnut, or any number of the English blends from Cornell and Diehl.

If faced with this, or some of the otc blends out there, this might be better.