An aromatic, burley based tobacco described as "naturally" flavored.

BrandTinder Box
Taste
Pleasant, Tolerable
2.1
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Floral and slightly earthy, I'm a bit surprised at the lack of nutty flavor in a burley blend. The topping must be hiding that. I also get a little syrupy taste. No complexity to speak of. Burns slowly, but fairly dryly. If you don't mind the floral taste, it'll do. Otherwise, you'll probably hate it. Certainly not something for anyone wanting to try a burley for the first time.

macbeth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
macbeth (17)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

At the shop, the jar smelled like instant ice tea mix. Always looking for something different, I thought "I'll give it a try." I'm not a cube-cut fan and this experience will keep me away forever. This was some of the worse stuff to work with. Hard to light is an understatement. When I finally got it going, the room was filled will a strong incense smell. Tolerable, but not my choice for incense, let alone pipe tobacco. I even threw this stuff in food processer and, much to my surprise, it wouldn't breakdown!

Very Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I have been making a lot of trades lately and am trying blends that are all over the map as to kind and type. First off this does smell kind of flowery in the bad, a cube cut for sure, burley which I like and it filled very easy into the pipe, I gravity packed it as I knew it would be a slow burner. And it was, very slow, very hard to light (my sample was very dry) and for me was hard to keep lit. But what a great, smooth velvety, and very flavorful smoke. I smoked before bed and it has left a great taste in my mouth. The burley nuttiness really never presents itself as the flavor is very intense. Natural flavoring, I don't think so. I get a peach like flavor and the aroma was great. Very gentle to the tongue, I mean really gentle, but the flavor lasted all the way down with no gunk at all. I really liked it. I will mix a neutral style burly that burns fast like PA with it next to see if I can keep it lit better. But, I could live on this stuff if I had too. Much softer than the Mix 79. If you are an English smoker this is not for you but if you like non vanilla aromatics, I highly recommend it.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is not Sutliffe's # 79 reborn. House of Windsor's "Bourbon Street" fills that more precisely, though of course, with much more finesse.

Tinder Box's # 2 has changed in the past 35 years, but then again, so have I. It cannot be compared with its progenitor, but as is...it ain't bad for a reasonably-available bulk aromatic smoke.

It's closest relative is Uhle's 255. It might take a while longer to mail-order from Uhle...but the wait is worth it!

Not a bad smoke, compared with some of the God-awful stuff out there (you might even love it) but with Bourbon Street and especially Uhle's 255...you can do better.

All-in-all, one could do(and this one HAS) done worse.

Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Indeed, this may very well be Mixture 79. It packs easily, burns well, and has that cool, floral, soapy quality you either like, or you don't. I don't care for it, but it isn't a low quality blend. Just a bit too odd for me.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)

This is a blend I've been smoking for years. It's now a standby for me and I recommend it for the burley crowd.

To the eye it's a uniform dark brown, with a smattering of lighter browns, in what is a real cube cut burley. If theres much else in there, I don't see it. In the jar it smells a bit like licorice. Being a cube cut, it load easily and with only a bit of tamping. I've smoked entire pipefuls after lighting with just one match. Burning characteristics are superb: a slow, easy puffing cadence yields a very cool, very dry smoke. When first lit, there is a moment where the topping seems quite strong, and I have to admit, at first I wasn't at all certain that I was going to care for this blend. I would describe this as being a "floral" aroma. But after only a minute, it settles down and throughout the rest of the pipe, the flavoring stays subdued and it's a good burley experience. I find it a nice change of pace that I always keep on hand. I've never been bit by this, and it's never gooped up a pipe. It builds cake very quickly.

I recommend this not because it will knock you socks off, but as one of those quiet, dependable smokes that has all of the good characteristics of a quality burley.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Medium Very Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Sutliff's Mixture #79 reborn. My god, it spawned.

I despised it, you may love it.