Twelve top grades originating from classical growing areas in USA, Turkey and Greece, blended by hand. Enhanced with Syrian Latakia and exquisite Louisiana Perique.

BrandWellauer & Co
Taste
Very Pleasant, Tolerable
3.2
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Holy Cow! Where did this one come from? I want more!

Wallauer's Best must certainly be. I really liked the flavoring added to this somewhat strong blend. It left my palate refreshed and feeling like it had some tobacco. The Latakia is very evident, but not overbearing. It stays lit well and burns dry and clean. It is also a little sweet, which at first, made me think some discreet topping had been added. By the time I got to the bottom of the bowl I abandoned that though. Yet, I got suspicious again during the second and third bowls. Very remarkable and very unique. This would would only be better with more nicotine content.

MisterSmith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MisterSmith (8)

As I type this I am puffing a small pipe's worth of a 40 year old tin of Wellauer's Best. My god what a beautiful smoke this is. Sometimes the German eBay really comes up trumps. One of those Grandpa's three pipes, pouch and baccy deals. I feel very privileged to be smoking it. The tin is 3/4 full too! I was planning on making my first attempt at rehydrating old tobacco with this blend - I still might on a bowl or two's worth but despite its fragile dryness it smokes delightfully. I think a small pipe really helps.

It is a very smooth smoke with a wonderfully peppery taste from the Latakia that comes close to a bite without actually leaving anything more than a pleasant spiciness on the tongue. I would describe the flavour as being like a very smooth, deluxe version of Dunhill's Nightcap which is a pretty fine tobacco in its own right.

I have no idea if age affects the nicotine potency but I am certainly flying on this now. It gets better and better. Like smoking the equivalent of a 1000 dollar truffle.

pipesmoker87 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesmoker87 (14)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Excellent!! Well, what can I say? Every human developes, and as the years go by, your likes of tobacco may also change. After having enough of aromatics and danish blends, I recently turned to english blends. I just so noticed it while smoking a bowl of Mc Connell's Scottish Blend. I suddenly really began to like the traditonal english taste. So I ordered a tin of Wellauer's Best. And I'm more than satisfied with it. It's the one I was looking for. It's an unmistakibly english one but not a 'grandfather' tobacco, so to say. It's rather spicy but fresh and maskuline. You open the tin and you are greeted by a strong adding of Latakia, which is thus not overwhelming. It's in great harmony with the natural Virginia sweetness and the spiciness of the Orientals and the Perique. A great smell! There is indeed some flavouring, but it is very discrete. Stuffing my pipe is no problem, though I had to get weaned to a coarse cut tobacco again at first. Its burning and smoking qualities are just excellent. It burns down very evenly and cool, no relighting is necessary. It never got too hot in my Ascot Selected and even though I pushed it a little bit, it never bit my tongue. Taste is very well balanced and very elegant. A fine mixture between the different tobaccos added to it. The Latakia is evident, increasing towards the middle of the bowl, but alwys in harmony with the Perique and the Virginia. It leaves a fine room note, somehow fresh and not overboarding. It is a little bit stronger, as being an english blend, but very calming and acceptable. It's one of the very few tobaccos that completely satisfied me. Somehow quite complex, but it might be great as an everyday smoke, as well.

Update 6th of November 2010

I must admit that I was a little too euphoric with this one. At first it did very fine with me, but while I commenced on my tin, it more and more brought out a very sweet tin aroma which wasn't noticable at first. I knew there had been some flavouring added but sadly, it seems to be stronger than I had discovered at first. Maybe the typical Planta treatment? I'm afraid I'll have to downgrade it to somewhat recommended.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This one is quite special. A peculiar marriage between an English Latakia mixture and a German flavoured mixture.

I am not an aromatic smoker but "Best" is flavoured discreetely as some of the Irish blends. This is a nice change of pace when I get those Latakia cravings and feels that the traditional English's are to heavy. There is plenty of Latakia here but it is skillfully blended and will not dominate the other leaf.

Fresh and delightful, as if made for a sunny day on the porch with a jug of iced tea with lemon. Them Germans surprise me sometimes, since I do not fancy most of their blends. Buy it at: http://www.zigarren-bennung.de

Recommended. Jakob kiilerich, Denmark.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Very similar to the English blend but the Latakia in this one is more subdued and soft. However, it comes through enough to almost be dominant. While the Latakia in this blend plays well with the VA, it somewhat drowns out the oriental, whick only pokes through from time to time. All in all, a pleasing light english blend.