Little, elegant flue-cured Virginia flakes, redolent with sun-dappled sweetness, and pleasantly tangy. This skillfully blended tobacco, mellowed with Blakeney's exclusive toasting process, fills the pipe with pleasure.

Notes: McClelland introduced their Blakeney's Best line at the 21st CORPS (Conclave of Richmond Pipe Smokers) Pipe Show in Richmond, Virginia. The 50g tin was released to the public in late 2005.

Blended ByMcClelland
Manufactured ByMcClelland
Strength
Taste

3.1
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Newman's descriptive of the leaf was spot on. Not the easiest to contend with. And like Newman, I also found the flavor to be too mild. I still have not quite figured out what the toasting process does to tobacco, but I'm trying to be a fast learner.

If you enjoy mild and not real flavorful Virginia leaf, here you go.

Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

These are nicely prepared flakes but ~ 1" square and comparatively less pliable than most McClelland flakes. Without any rubout which I normally prefer, I experienced difficulty in the intial lighting and numerous relights. The tin aroma is very mild Heinz and inviting as a natural VA. I found that TF smoked cool and dry in multiple bowl sizes. The toasting did little for me in the way of flavor and the blend was too mild for my overall satisfaction. For reference, I'll stick with 2015 and 2035 from this respective blender.

Stogie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stogie (26)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Just crossed the halfway mark through a 2oz tin dated 9/05. As I keep many tins open at a time, I've been working through this for the better part of 2 months. Although the moisture level was fine upon opening, the subtle drying that has occurred over the past few weeks has sharpened (favorably) the VA tang. Burn quality is superb and I tend to smoke this rubbed out, with a few chunks of flake mixed in. The toasting process is not necessarily a desirable one as far as my tastes are concerned - I love the sharpness of McClelland VA's. That said, it is a bit easier on the mouth and where I might notice that I smoked a bowl of Old Ashton Pebblecut or Black Parrot - this one doesn't leave the same next day sour mouth. I don't notice the caramel notes that others have found so pronounced, just a lightly sweet, mid-level VA tang with good black tea bitterness. Not sure what a newer tin of this would taste like, but most of my reviews are of 8-10 year old tobaccos now and will likely follow that curve as my cellar is stocked substantially. Recommended.

samcoffeeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samcoffeeman (27)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I recently purchased a tin of this from a B&M that is a little out of my way. The tin is from 2006 so is about 7 years old. Tawny flake is a straight Virginia flake tobacco. It is from McClelland's Blakeney's line, which goes through a toasting process that supposedly removes the "bite" factor from the Virginia tobacco.

Upon opening the tin, the usual McClelland ketchup/vinegar aroma is notable but muted compared to other McClelland Virginias such as Blackwoods flake. I rubbed out the whole tin, as is my practice with McClelland Virignia flakes. My experience is that the longer the rubbed out tobacco sits in the tin, the better it tastes. This review is from my first 3 bowls of this tobacco, so it may get better with time. The tobacco seems to be a bit drier than other Va flakes I have opened, not sure if that is usual for this blend or the 7 years of age.

The predominant flavors in this tobacco are the grassy/hay variety. This is a very mild tobacco compared to other McClellands I have enjoyed, and this one not as much. It does as promised, in that there is little bite and very easy to smoke. This is good if you are a hard smoker, although it won't teach you to slow down which is important to truly enjoy the pipe. I just felt this was a bland, unexciting tobacco. I prefer something with a bit more intrigue. Also, the virginia sweetness I love seems to be mostly absent here. It is as if they took one of their better tobaccos and watered it down. Less flavor, less nic, less tongue bite. This is a good entry tobacco to flake or as a crossover for a converted cigarette smoker.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)

Now here is a McClelland Va flake that I can get along with. If you have sensitivity to Va's like I do, give this one a go.

I do not know how the "toasting" works, but it must help with the bite. It does however, retain that signature Mc aroma.

Medium brown flakes come a bit moist, but dry fairly quickly.

Definitely recommended for the Va sensitive crowd.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (57)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It's a McClelland VA. So if you like'em, what's not to like? The format requires a little drying if straight from the sealed tin. Rub out the "half-flakes", drop a few crumbs onto the lid for the light and it burns just fine. I don't get any bite from VA's because I know how to smoke them, so I cannot say it is especially bite-free due to the toasting. I don't taste buttered toast either, so don't get any illusions from the ad campaign about toastiness.

this is good VA and it is worth smoking if you smoke medium VA flakes. Not sure if it isn't of the same lineage as bulk 2010. I don't think it would appeal to the smoker of dark flakes or bright VA ribbons.

this smoke also works just fine with Delayed Gratification Technique and breath-smoking.

The room note is not for me to judge, but it is pretty light and dissipates relatively fast.

It has enough nicotine in a medium-large bowl to satisfy. A quick smoke might not do the same.

Time for me to order a replacement or three to cellar for a few years down the line. I'm sure it will also be discontinued one day as almost all blends will.

Countrygent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Countrygent (9)

The other reviewers seem to have bracketted this pleasant flake pretty well.

Somewhat unusual thick little squares that need some rubbing out to burn evenly in the bowl.

Definite whiff of the old vinegar/ketchup of Maclelland in the tin - but not alot like a Dark Star or St. James Wood.

Caramel, caramel, and mild. Pleasant, sweetish taste and aroma. As other have said not a great burner unless carefully rubbed out and dried.

The blend lacks nuance and depth of character, but delivers a very pleasant toasted virginia experience. Very good, not great, not memorable. No discernable bite when smoked slowly - with heavy puffing might deliver the virginia bite.

Here is a steer to try and wean a Captain Black White Blend smoker into something with a purer, cleaner and more pleasurable taste. Wouldn't go out of my way to buy more, but if you had a tin open I'd be happy to share!

vinnie799 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinnie799 (33)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tawney Flakes is a tobacco that is perfect when I want something to cut through the dust from all day mouth. Brushing teeth always helps but in a differnt way. LOL However When I picked up my first tin of Tawney flake I did not know what to expect. My tobacconist in Talleyville,DE told me I'd have to rub it out. Ok, so I firmly and briskly rubbed it between my palms for enough to fill a bowl or so. Knowing that moist tobaccos need to be packed more loose that dryer finer cuts I proceeded to follow that protocol. Voila! Cool, and really tangy, almost a slight bite. But, realizing the can DOES suggest a sweet tangy taste/feeling I totally accept it. Figuring that I found what they were talking about I proceed to continue the bowl. I would not refer this tobacco to a newbie by any means. It is a great and favorite VA Flake so far for me. I find that it has a full taste and is a good after work smoke in my easy chair. AND most important my wife says,"Hmmm...it almost smells Good!" Which in pipers' terms is very tolerable and THAT makes it a comfortable smoking condition. We all know that if we can't relax while smoking it destroys the atmosphere/ambience of the whole experience. I have recently learned how to fold and stuff the slightly broken flakes right from the can. An experienced smoker shouldn't have any problems with this process. It was a pretty neat experience though. I never knew stuff cut like this really didn't have to be rubbed out every time. I just don't suggest fold and stuff on the run. I have purchased many tins of Tawney Flake and will continue to as long as it's available. Darned shame it's not available in bulk but then that might changes it's make-up.

Not so much of the typical McClelland vinegar/ketchup smell to this flake. To whatever extent that this is "toasted" or whatever, it does have a caramel taste to it which I found pleasant. Forgiving and flavorful. The thick flakes do require some rubbing out.

11-14-13: Found a tin of this from January 2005 in the back of my tobacco cabinet, that I had completely forgotten about, and since I haven't had it since 2009 or at least early 2010, just had to crack it. Also, ordered two new tins to cellar.

Smoking it in my Marxman Jumbo. Might be better in a narrower bowl, but this pipe is well-rested and unghosted.

It is lovely so far, and though I could see detracting half a star or so from my 2009 four-star TR rating, I now do not regret having bought those two additional tins to cellar. I take back what I said in 2009: it does have that McClelland scent in the tin, if not as strongly as many McClelland Virginias, but in the smoke, it is very mellow; not at all like CC or the Matured Virginias. There even seems to be a slight suggestion of Mac Baren aged Navy Flake to it. No bite, slow burner, good sipper. Again, will do a narrower-bowled pipe next time, but the wide bowl doesn't ruin it. pipesandcigars.com has this for about $8 right now, and smokingpipes.com for just about the same price. I will have to try a couple others from the series eventually. Another quality Virginia from McClelland, but different than their usual. I don't know if the "It's Toasted!" promotional tagline is a gimmick, or if it really is somehow "toasted," but I approve.

Another good McClellands blend that misses being great by a short margin, and one that is not a taste factor.

The folks at McClellands know how to blend a straight virginia. This is cut as a small square flake that is, unfortunately, somewhat too thick. I had trouble getting this one to hold a light no matter how much it dried out. Flabbergastingly (is that a word?), the feel of the flakes made me think the moisture content was perfect right out of the tin. Yet it fought the burn bravely until I was able to overcome its reticence. Still, the lack of proper burn loses this one a star. I rubbed this one out fully before loading and still had some trouble.

Flavor-wise, this is as good as most McClellands straight virginias. Pleasantly tangy and sweet with a wonderful room aroma. Light citrus notes and even though this didn't get as "dark" as I prefer, it performed admirably as a fairly mild but full bodied smoke. I very much enjoyed the flavor of this, but I found its unwillngness to hold a light somewhat offputting. It's not like Dark Star in that regard but I believe I'll stick with VA's that aren't quite so much work!

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)

Tin: Aroma is a mild toasty caramel and light clover hay. Appearance is exactly like that of BBLF, a mahogany, dark-brown 1x1/2 square.

When smoked, the tin was 1+ years old(710105 stamped on bottom of tin). For interesting info. on dating tinned tobacco, link to:

pipes.org---locate the Forums box--Topics--Tobacco Questions--scroll down , to bottom of page, to Archive Oct. 09, 2005, Oct. 18, 2005, and July 26, 2006.

Packing & Lighting: Like BBLF, the flake is easily rubbed out and made ready for packing; easy to get lit.

Aroma: Light VA, reminiscent of a drive in the countryside with clover hayfields in the distance. Towards the bottom of the bowl, a mild caramel tone evolves. At first light, it is tangy; thereafter, the first 1/2 of the bowl is bland.

Taste: At first light, tangy, but it becomes subdued into nothing but a very light, mild VA, and by the end of the bowl, mildly toasty.

Room Note: Light VA, nothing much to complain about, even for the most nosey of pedestrians. The room note of BBLF, although heavy, has a sweet fragrant appeal lacking in BTF.

Overall: I would class BTF as nothing but a milder version of BBLF. BTF smokes down to a fine ash, with no relight. Some moisture is left in the stem; leaves the pipe smelling good.

A mellow, golden VA, reminding me of BBLF, C&D's Briar Fox, or Dunhill's Standard Mixture Mild, though BBTF having less nicotine.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)

The tin aroma of these medium-cut, partially broken flakes is of caramel and nuts, along with a very light touch of the usual McClelland tang.

The toasted flavor of this gold VA blend is very unusual. Butter, caramel, and peanut brittle replace most of the flower-fruit nuances of conventional virginias. It is rich and sweet, almost completely lacking in the edgy, fermented character of typical McC matured types, being replaced by a smooth, uniform, and steady flavor.

An amazing accomplishment, this is both unique and, somehow, familiar. Comforting, yet complex, the flavor is rich without being tiring. It goes best in a narrow gauge chamber.

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (36)
Mild None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

This is too light for me. However, I could see this being an all-day smoke for someone that likes a mild blend. It claims not to bite, but it bit me because I was puffing too hard to get more flavor.

The delightful McC taste is there, but I'll stick with 27 and 24.

ChicagoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChicagoPipe (45)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I was at my local B&M last week and decided to pick up a can of Tawny Flake. I have smoke VA for many years, mainly Mc Clelland bulks. This one of the finest VA flakes I have smoked in years. The sweetness of the VA comes through along with a caramel toastiness flavor. For me, it has no bite at all, and I am fairly fast puffer. This is definently an all day VA smoke. I see other reviewers feel the flavor is a little too mild for them, but this is a nice change from heavier VA with perique. I gave some to a friend of mine who likes heavy English latakia blends, and he just raved about the taste. He is adding this blend to his rotation. Another fine creation by Mc Clelland. Recommended!

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (58)

This is a nice looking tobacco, a mixture of mostly dark browns shaped like flattened Fritos. Needed a little drying out before packing, and the tobacco rubs into rough textured pieces for filling the bowl. The taste is OK, I was not overwhelmed, and as this costs a little more than say Blackwoods Flake or #22, not worth it. Just didn't do much for me, although it wasn't awful or anything like that. Marlin Flake, Blackwoods, or Full Virginia anytime.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)

The appearance and aroma of this tobacco in the tin has been well described, below. At the match it is soft on the tongue and tingly in the nose. The McC Va. tang is in the smoke but substantially muted. After a few puffs it settles down and the spiciness in the nose disappears. The up side is that there is no hint of bite. Toward the end of the bowl, the smoke becomes exceptionally mild, but still maintains its flavor. This has excellent, straight Virginia flavor, although light and subtle, and could probably be smoked for hours on end while yielding constant satisfaction. The down side is that the smoke lacks the depth of flavor I am looking for. This is a tobacco I could smoke often as a change of pace from my regular Virginias. I think this would be a great tobacco for those who are just getting acquainted with straight Virginia tobacco. After smoking a 50g tin, I have no complaints. I give it three stars. Well recommended. Paddy.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Appearance and Tin Aroma: Little 1x1 flakes, mostly brown in color. Smells like a lightly stoved VA.The MC typical ketchup aroma is very subdued, almost non-existent.

Packing and Lighting: I prefered to rub the flakes out gently and gravity feed into the pipe with only the lightest tamping before lighting. 2-4 re-lights max.

Initial Flavor: light to medium VA, nothing extraordinary.

Mid-Bowl: Tastes burnt! stoving done too quickly? Not much flavor for the amount of puffing I am doing.

Bottom of Bowl: Doesn't build much strength, ash is grey and dry. Still tastes burnt!

Overall: This is a beginners VA and not a great one at that. It is very difficult to get tongue-bite with this blend though. Some like the "toastiness" of the blend, but to me it tastes burnt! I much rather recommend "Brown Clunee" for a beginners VA. This blend just did not do much for me.

Blackie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackie (16)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I really, really wanted to love this tobacco. Alas, this is just too mild of a taste to really do anything for me. This blend is a far cry from the deep dark VA blends from McC Tobacco, and although I loved the scent of the smoke, the taste itself was just not there. I'm not so sure that the stoving process that this tobacco had undergone was not lost on me. It may have removed one of my favorite elements that makes McC's Virgina blends special to me.

Once again, I will hold this tobacco and try it again in various pipes, etc., but as it stands, this is a very neutral blend in my book.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (135)

A bright flake, maybe some red, toasted a little darker. Not as dark, deep, or strong as a dark flake or a true deep stoved virginia.

Small flakes best rubbed out some to aid in burning.

Straight virginia , no scents. No "ketchup". No lakeland here.

Think of MC's no. 27 with the citrus and sweetness toasted out. A somewhat darker flavor results but with a steady bead of tang. Very tangy in fact. Sort of English flake in character (e.g., F&T Cut blended virginia), but more robust.

Wonderful dark, toasy aroma.

Stronger than Pease's new Montgomery, but you really can't compare flakes to ribbons or strings. Montgomery has more subtle complexities; TF is plain no nonsense tabak flavor.

An all day flake. Cool. Dry. Tangy with some body. Not stout.

Recommended as an all day flake for a straight virginia smoker, with a little added body.