A slow burning smoke of cubed Burley, Latakia, VA flake, Perique and Turkish

Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2oz. Tin, 8oz Tin
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (29)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is a pretty good blend. The burn characteristics are great. No dottle, no moisture, no bite, and minimal relights. This is by far the tobacco with the strongest scent I've ever experienced. It's not a bad smell, but in the words of a famous, mustachioed Dodge spokesman, "It stings the nostrils." I tasted no Perique, which I don't mind, but lots of Latakia and small amounts of Virginia. The taste is not great, but not foul, either. Maybe a bit ashy towards the end. The room note is not nearly as strong as the tobacco scent. I wouldn't recommend smoking this in the morning until you've had breakfast as the nicotine content is noticeable. But this is great to smoke at midday or in the early evening. This is quality stuff and I have no complaints about the tin I smoked, but I'm a bit disconcerted about the other reviews mentioning how it was flat in some places or it had too much Perique and not enough else. My experiences run contrary to those. It makes me think there might be some lack of consistency in the blending, curing, and/or packaging process. It means you have to be lucky to get a good tin. :(

EDIT on 12/9/13: I have to knock this one star down because it smokes a bit hot and gives some tongue bite when smoked a bit quickly. I had previously smoked it quite slowly, trying to really grasp the flavor. It started acting up when I tried to smoke it normally while doing other things. Conversly, smoking it in a meershaum brings out its best flavor.

EDIT on 1-6-14: More tongue bite and bad aftertaste. I just can't recommend this when the competition is much better.

JasonDicker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JasonDicker (22)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Strong

I am somewhat surprised with the relatively positive reviews on this site. First of all, I generally enjoy most blends from C&D and think they are one of the very best tobacco blenders in the business. Adagio for me is the perfect example of a concoction of different tobacco leaves with no discernible character, other than a strong burley type blend with an overwhelmingly pungent spiciness from the Latakia & Perique. As a throw-away smoke, I consumed an entire tin of this stuff, trying my best to enjoy Adagio, but just can't seem to get the same smoking experience as the other reviewers on this site. Maybe it's "different strokes for different folks".. I don't know, but I surely won't buy this again. Oh yes, I almost forgot to mention that my tin was over three years old, obviously the aging didn't do me any favours.

Sir Walter Smiley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sir Walter Smiley (24)

When I first tried this blend, I had yet to aquire the taste for latakia. I was a virginia flake and "vaper" smoker. Burleys rounded out my rotation. I had tried many of McClelland's English and Orientals not to my liking. Then I came across House of Winsor's "Barking Dog" and I didn't like that one, yet it was not because of the latakia. It was just low quality. I did, however, like the burley/latakia flavor. So, Junkyard Dog from C&D was the next logical choice; which is very good. This one is as good or better with its differences being the addition of perique and turkish leaf. Adagio smokes with a rich nutty smokiness that has just a slight sweetness. The nicotine level is adequate for the addict, yet should be tolerable to the novice. Even with heavy puffing, I have no problems with tongue bit. One negitive is the last fourth of the bowl can go flat or bland. After this and Junkyard Dog, I have returned to try full english blends and many are now to my liking. Taste buds change. Now, just if I had a pipe tobacco that tasted just like Punch Gran Puro cigars..........

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)

Update 12-24-10

Knocked this one down a star. It just doesn't hold up when smoked alongside the others of it's kind. Tends to smoke thin at times. Still nice flavor..just not the four star blend my enthusiasm thought it was.

This is one of the better american english hybrids that I have had. Bow-Legged Bear is Adagios older and less refined brother. Adagio is BLB with all the rough edges shaved off.

Elegant and bold, this blend is what the doctor called for as an evening smoke. Good full flake va., latakia, and turkish are forward in the flavor. The perique is very present but not over the top. The burley plays a supporting role on core strength and body.

I still love BLB with all of it's rough edges, but this is really great. I will be stocking up on this one for the future.

steak2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steak2 (3)

Adagio is one of my first ventures into the land of Burley . I chose this because it has Va. and Perique in the blend . Latakia is another tobacco that is relatively new to me . I like the nutty taste that I get from the Burley, very easy for me to pick out. I detect a peppery smoke that is Perique , subtle but present . The sweetness that is Va. is very faint but builds about 3/4 through the bowl . The smoky Latakia is in the background from start to finish . The Latakia was blended with a light hand , not over-powering . I like this blend and feel that C&D has given me another steady blend

Lbarraa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lbarraa (27)

Great tobacco, for the latakia and burley`s lovers. Slow burnning, the virginia and the burley provides the basis of the flavor, the latakia and the perique gives diferentes notes that made this blend unique... After several smokes, in briar and meerschaum, the first third of the smoke is more sweet and the burley shows his nutty taste, during the second and third part the syrian latakia makes his entry... and the perique appears during all the smoke in a very nice way... the room note don`t seem the usual for a latakia blend, is well accepted for the people around us. Great, great blend! Luis Barra

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Adagio is a nicely varied smoke. It begins as a heavy Perique, drifts into a nice neutral Burley, and ends with lots of Turkish flavor. It is not at all sweet. Like other C&D premium tobaccos, it is of quality: good burn, no humectants, good ingredients, easy light, dry ash. I don't prefer it because I am not fond of the Perique hit at the start, but if you like Perique and Turkish, this blend should be right up your alley. As with Old Hollywood, there is no disputing the quality of the blend. It's just a matter of whether or not you like the taste(s). A worthy offering.

Update: This blend is just too spicy for me to enjoy on a regular basis. As the estimable Pipestud has mentioned, if you like LARGE doses of Perique, Adagio is right up your alley. I won't be ordering any more, though.

Phantom55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phantom55 (29)

A nice slow burning, and flavorful Burley and Va blend from C&D. Burns dry to the bottom without effort, and no hint of a bite, while producing volumes of smoke. I perceive the Burley, Va, and Oriental components most. I detect Perique, but don't think this is over laden with it, and to me is not the predominant taste. By comparison, I detect a much greater Perique taste in Elizabethan than in this one. All according to the individual palate, I guess. A nice all dayer for C&D style tobacco fans.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I think Taste Buds may have stolen my own because our thoughts regarding Adagio are quite similar. This was a generous goody bag item at the recent Kansas City Pipe Show. The tin descriptive is, "A slow burning smoke of cubed Burley, Latakia, VA/flake, Perique and Turkish." The Perique came through too loud and too clear while the other leaf sat way at the back of the bus, (as in the very last row.)

If you love Perique in large doses, Adagio may be a good choice for you.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (138)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have not had any success with C&D blends and Adagio is no exception. The blend is composed of quality leaf. The blend is smooth and somewhat sweet. The sweetness is from the lovely Turkish leaf used. But this blend is overloaded with Perique, which overtakes the Turkish and even drowns out the Latakia. The strength and fullness is beyond my tolerance level, which means I won't be ordering more. I would rate this blend a 2.5, if I could, but no more.

This stuff is fantastic! This has a nutty,sweet,toasty and warm quality about it.This is truly masterful blending!No one taste dominates,they all work together to produce a magnificent round and spicy flavor! This is the sweet and sour of the pipe tobacco world.Burley is a big player though.This is not a Virginia lover's dream. The Perique and Turkish give this such an unusual quality that beckons you to smoke more.I really think if you like subtle -complex mixtures you should give this one a try! 4 of 4 stars!

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)

If you love Burley you have to try this!! (If you dont, but want to try a top of the line Burley blend.....this is the one) This stuff is GREAT! Way to go C&D You never fail to put the great blends out there!! This smells super in the tin and packs and lights easily. It has a nutty Burley taste and all of the other leafs are there in just the right ammount to support and mix in and out with the overall flavor. This stuff is absolutely wonderful and I would highly recommend it all the way!! This would have to be my desert island blend as it stands right now! "GET SOME!!"