A very popular "continental" and aromatic mixture, not too sweet and mild in strength. A blend of Virginias and Flakes, lightly flavoured with Whiskey and Caramel essence.

Notes: Only available at Dunhill's Store, London.

BrandDunhill
Blended ByDunhill
FlavoringCaramel, Whisky
Strength
Taste
LondonCalling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LondonCalling (6)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I suppose reviewing this blend is a bit of a technicality dressed up as a history lesson, as unless someone has a tin or two cellared somewhere - which I doubt, as it was pretty obscure - no-one is ever likely to smoke it again. June 86 was one of the blends only available upstairs in Dunhill's shop in Jermyn Street, London, all of which were discontinued some years ago - in 2007, I recall, following the sale of Murray's, which blended for them. I bought a tin of June 86 one Christmas when I wanted something to smoke indoors during the winter weather, but which had a pleasant room note so wouldn't raise too many complaints. I'm not generally a fan of aromatics, as I find them too cloying. But I do recall that June 86 was a rare exception. I wouldn't say the casing was necessarily lightly-applied, but rather it was less sickly-sweet than in any other aromatic I've smoked before or since. As I recall it had something of a coconut and caramel scent to it with perhaps a hint of spice - cinnamon perhaps - added to a fine, bright tobacco base which was reminiscent of EMP without the latakia. Unlike most aromatics, the casing was subtle enough to allow the flavour of the tobacco through. Would I buy it again? Well sadly that's a bit of an academic question, isn't it. All of this was back in 1999, so wishing for a bowl of June 86 today would be a pure pipe dream.

Pipe Used: Dunhill bent dress billiard