A dark Virginia flake that is full of flavor but easy on the tongue. Citrus notes are detectable.

Notes: Originally blended in England.

BrandAstley's
Manufactured ByKohlhase & Kopp
Where to Buy 4noggins.com
Strength
Taste

3.2
Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)

For a while, this blend seemed to be hard to acquire, but you never heard of anyone hoarding or cellaring this blend. I am a huge fan of Astley's 109, so I happily gave this one a shot. Upon opening the tin and removing the top paper circle, the intoxicating smell of fermented Virginia permeates the nose, and actually made my mouth water a bit. The flakes are so perfectly cut and stacked, it almost appears to be a plug of tobacco. Perfect moisture in the packaging. The little gems rub out quite nicely, and pack with just enough spring to ease tamping. Initial light may take a few tries, and this blend does require a few relight along the way. Nice prominent citrus along with fresh hay are noted. For being a straight Va, this blend does have a bit of depth. Nice clean an fresh on the palate. Definitely a great blend for those seeking a no frills Va.

This one seems to have fallen off the radar here at tr.com - no reviews since late 2008. Odd, since this is such a wonderfully realized VA. I've noted that some people have tasted perique in this flake. I have not, but I can certainly see why some people would think so. This is a beautiful flake of dark(er) color, but not dark - nice, small flakes of a more wheat brown hue. The sweetness in the smoke seems to be slightly enhanced but nothing I can put my finger on. Citrus notes are indeed in evidence.

Since Rattray's MF seems to be the measuring stick around here, I'll say that this has significantly more flavor than MF, yet is congenial with an easy burn. Smokers of MF might find this a little robust, but it's actually of medium strength. This is a VA flake that must be sampled by anyone looking for the ultimate in the genre. This just might be it for you. I prefer Gawith's FVF personally but this is one that I plan to cellar a few tins for those times I want a tad more sweetness in my bowl. Excellent tobacco, and it makes me want to take a run through the rest of the Astley's line.

rogermugs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rogermugs (14)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my second Astley's, I've tried 109 and now this.

Let me first say this will not bite your tongue even a bit (unless you're ... um.... short-bus different).

It is a very pleasant smoke, though I find I prefer 109.

I've read of virginias that they tend to start out rather meaningless and grow more pleasant as you smoke through the bowl. That was definitely my experience with 109, and one of the reasons I loved it.... however 44 doesn't seem to change much throughout. That's not to say it's bad. I'm a fan actually. But is quite a bit stronger, and I would say stronger at the expense of flavor personally, I find the 109 to be more flavorful. But if it's strength, especially Lady St. Nic you're looking for ... 44 is the way to go.

VERY strong. I haven't been this buzzed on a pipe tobacco in.... ever. (But I don't smoke a lot of strong blends)

Highly recommended. This is confirming for me thus far that Astley's blends are really THE way to go if you're looking tins... I'm a huge fan of both of these.

After the excellent experience with Astley?s 55, over the X-mas holidays I sampled other blends from this house. No 44 is an excellent, full strength Virginia, mid brown in colour, tightly pressed in a short flake cake. Tin aroma is excellent: spicy, woody and fresh. I found it difficult to break apart the individual flakes, but they were easy to pack and light. A very good and strong tobacco flavour ensues after lighting. Nothing to do with that type of abrasive strength you find in some tobaccos (like Gawith?s Cob Flake or its rope varieties). This is more in the line of Rattray?s Hail O? the Wynd or Dunhill?s Elizabethan Mixture (take away the Perique). It is a straight forward Virginia, not sweet but tangy, cool and satisfying, with an elegant and I would say very traditional matured Va. flavour. No nonsense tobacco, Astley?s 44 belongs with the classics. Highly recommended.

I do detect the citrus note and there is maybe the slightest notion of dark chocolate, too, along with a little hay-taste. There is another slightly sweet note that I can't define, but maybe it's just the natural sweetness of the Virginia. This is a very flavorful smoke, though not as complex as some others think. It's a great straight Virginia smoke, though it may bite a fast puffer. Like most Virginias, it improves with age and I find the aged version to be smoother with less chance of tongue bite. It's not really a "biter" tobacco, so don't dwell on it like I just did. If you like a straight forward dark Virginia smoke, this is a good pick. If you need spice, well, either add perique or buy Marlin Flake. I'm a perique lover, but I prefer to enjoy this on its own merits, which are plenty. You'll agree with me when you try it, especially if you give it a chance to age a little.

Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Oh wow, this is nice, a fermented, sweet, strong, Virginia, can you say, "Full Virginia Flake". Well that's what this reminds me of, I would have a hard time telling them apart. Although , this also does have some similarities to Marlin Flake and #44 has that taste like, "there might be some Perique hidden in here". My only criticism is this is too flavorful !, maybe cloying from its richness, I find myself wishing the pipeful was over, hard to explain, but I get the same feelings when I smoke GLP Quite Nights, McC's Dark Star, ( totally different types of blends) I love them, but not in a large bowl, too much of a good thing !. Half way through the pipe I have to say, "enough". NOT an all day smoke for me but a great rich smoke once in a while.

I agree with reviewer "rogermugs" that this is powerful "N" . As a 40 year reformed "Pall Mall" cigarette smoker, I know about "N". I really would like to know from all the reviews rating this as "Medium" strength ,what tobacco would be considered a "Strong". I could use some of that at times!

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: new tin

Similar Blends: FVF, Marlin Flake.

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (36)

This is one of my favorite Va's, and my favorite straight Va from K&K.

The best way to describe this one to someone by comparing it to another tobacco is to say it's in the same zip code as Marlin Flake. Unlike MF this one is a straight Va, so you get no spicy/smoky notes. The sweetness here is also better to my palate, more natural and doesn't quite draw attention to itself but at the same time occurs more readily. It definitely has that oat-y honey to it. This one also has a first rate tobacco satisfaction quotient. The nicotine is adequate, but there is just something here that scratches the tobacco itch. Top notch tobacco with plenty of Va sugar, this one is one of my very favorite tobaccos.

The only Va's I would prefer over this one and it's cousin Marlin Flake are BBF and FVF. Really excellent tobacco.

pipesomkinsquirrel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesomkinsquirrel (16)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This was the first Astley's tobacco I have ever sampled as well as the first Virginia of its kind. What can I say? I was quite satisfied. The tin states dark and strong, and that is exactly what I got out of it.

It is actually a lot more complex than that. Being no stranger to many VA/per flakes, this was the first "dark" one I had ever tried. Upon opening the tin, I found the moisture content to be a bit heavy. I let the tin sit on the rack for about a month, and then one day I realized I had a tobacco I had never tried.

I opened the tin once again, and wow what a difference. The aroma was not at all citrus that I got, but almost like a chocolate. Not an artificial candy bar type chocolate, but raw dark chocolate. Quite exquisite to tell you the truth.

The flakes are easy enough to manage, though not the easiest maybe for a novice to this style of pipe weed. Once I broke the flakes into the consistency I desired, I set out to a park bench to give this a good try. I loaded up an apple shaped Bjarne Viking, and cleared my mind as to give this an honest shake.

I had a little bit of trouble getting this blend going, but I do not think that was the fault of the tobacco per-say, but the fault of my loading technique. Once lit, this behaved very well.

Upon the first few puffs I was quite enthralled with this blend. Never had I tasted such a robust and full bodied Virginia without the addition of Perique. The bitter sweet flavour of raw chocolate seemed to carry over to the smoke and make an appearance every few minutes or so.

Not once did this bite, but I was also very careful with this blend dedicating about an hour and a half to this bowl. Moderate tamping and an occasional re-light were required, but neither took away from the enjoyment of this blend.

I smoked this leaf all the way down to a fine ash in my bowl, where at the end I was experiencing a little "chimney mouth" but no bite. I think the next time I smoke this it will be in a smaller bowl pipe, and I will not try to get the last speck of tobacco to burn to a white ember.

The strength was defiantly there, and I was able to leave my park bench feeling satisfied.

I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a hardy VA or a VA/Per smoker who might be looking to branch out just a bit.

This tobacco goes very well with a good cup of freshly brewed strong black coffee or espresso. I think this could easily pass for an after dinner smoke for a straight VA smoker as well. Maybe pair it with a cognac or an oatmeal stout, and you would be in paradise.

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Update 09/26/2009

Mea Culpa. I've opened a two year old tin this week. I have to upgrade my appreciation of this tobacco to 4 stars now. This tobbaco is sublime after the short aging! I cannot wait to try it again after 5 years of aging!

The flakes are darker now, 60% dark brown, 30% medium and 10% golden. The tin aroma is grassy and sweet at the same time. The nicotine level is excellent, just enough to keep me interested and satisfied. The taste is very nice, grassy and sweet with something else I still cannot identify. But it requires a minimum of attention so you can enjoy the subtilities of it. Puffing too quickly will not really bite but turn this little beauty in a blend mixture.

It smokes dry all the way and helps build up a nice cake in any new pipe.

I have not tried the other offerings from Astley's (aka K & Hopp), but this offering is excellent. All it needed was some aging...So I would recommend to anybody buying no 44 to let it age a couple years first, in order to avoid an initial disapointment and thus underestimate the great potential of this square - cut flake.

A beauty, once more. Highly recommended!

Original review 12/24/2007

After reading the reviews, I must agree with First Sealord on his assessment of this tobacco- mind you, not because I fear ending up hanging from the main mast by the neck!

In my perception, a dark VA flake would be more like Solani's White & Black, Samual Gawith's Chocolate flake or Full VA flake. No 44 is no dark VA flake. Just like Hal' O the Wynd is none, either, as we are on the subject.

Nonetheless, I admit, the leaf has its virtues. The flake is extremely easy to rub out and the filling of the pipe is like a child's play. Lighting and smoking are elementary, revealing a slightly sweet VA taste without any complexity. It smokes even and leaves a dry bowl with gray ashes.

I've experienced better tobaccos, but a fair quantity was worse. If I was to read a novel, I would probably reach for this flake.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

======================= UPDATE Sep. 2005 ========= Quote; myself later in this review: "This is the best VA-flake I have ever tried! It is better than Marlin!" This is a statement that I must withdraw. I stil like #44, but after my new venture into the Samuel Gawith line of Lakeland flakes, #44 can no longer compete. ==================================================

This is the best VA-flake I have ever tried! It is better than Marlin!

This classic contains everything I expect from quality VA: Depth, natural sweetness, complexity, stoved notes, nicotine etc. I cannot help myself feeling as one of the pipesmokers in the earlier days when tobacco had that all natural "tobacco" thing to it. I feel like an English gentleman when smoking this manna from heaven.

Even though Kohlhase & Kopp has taken over the production, adding propyleneglycol insted of water and therefore changing the texture and looks of the leaf, they have managed to preserve the original taste of good English Virginia.

Heavy with plumes of sweet non-blistering smoke, #44 tickles my nostrils and send me to another plane where I do not wish to leave.

The best thing that has happened to pipe smoking. #44 goes hand in hand with St. Bruno in my regular rotation.

Outstanding!

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

O'Confrère Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
O'Confrère (28)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Darkly mottled broken flake, the tin reviewed is from 2008.

Tin aroma: Appetizing, lightly fruity, hay and earthiness.

As all K&K mixtures, it burns very well.

At the match: bright elements, tangy (lemon grass?).

Settles quickly to a creamy nuttiness (Kentucky burley?) with some depth, yet still allowing a fruitiness in the nose/sidestream.

Mid-bowl develops more depth and a rich earthiness. A fine blend of quality tobaccoes... The slower the burn the richer the spectrum of flavors and the fuller the body.

Producing copius amounts of smoke, this is a mouthful, truly a rich dark virginia flake. Recommended!

Pipe Used: Several. All reserved for Virginias w/out topping.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Nice dark flakes. Good volume of smoke after lighting this one up. Stayed lit well. Flavor was not as robust as I was hoping for, HOTW is much more my style. This did have a nice spicey note when taken through the nose. Expensive blend, 11.25 for 50 grams, I won't be buying this one again, but it was good to try one in their line finally.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

This square shaped flake needs to be aged. After a couple years it does wonderfully.

The aroma is close to red wine. It smells like McConnel's Scottish Flake. The flakes are not dark by all means.

It smokes well and provides nice nicotine.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)

An excellent medium strength virginia, full of flavour and tasty, packs easy and burns well all the way down with one match, no bite and smooth. Taste wise, a notch or so up from Marlin Flake. A fine quality virginia, superb for an evening smoke when one wants a little peace and an easy going smoke but with enough flavour to remind us why we smoke a pipe.

Four Stars without a doubt.

firstsealord Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
firstsealord (22)

By jove, this is no dark VA flake! Whoever said that should be hanged on the main mast without any chances of appeal! This is rather a light brown leaf with some shades of golden and medium brown. As you can tell, I was disappointed upon opening the tin.

However, this flake, I admit, still remains interesting. Being manufactured by K&K, which also manufactures Rattray's and McConnell's, this flake is a hybrid between Scottish Flake and Hal'O The Wynd. It has the aroma and the looks of SF but the strength of HOTW, in a lesser harsh way.

Easy to light and smoke- the humidity level was low in the tin,on the borderline of being dry- no 44 does not require attention,will bite only if you push it and smokes even with a combination of sweetness and natural VA taste. The nicotine kick is acceptable.

Lacking the unique flavor of SF, though, this mixture remains acceptable, but nothing more. I would not rebuy it.

Does anybody knows who wrote " Dark VA flake" on the tin? I have some business to attend...

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (69)

This is an excellent well balanced virginia. In my opinion the best in the Astley line. I've smoked many tins of this, often as a substitute for Marlin Flake. It's not as good as MF but it is close. Virginia fans will enjoy.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (68)

This is another fine Virginia from Astley's. It is deep cool and dark and , while not one to knock you socks off, is suitable for all day use. I find it very hard to overheat it, and even when I do it's not bad.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (161)

This proved to be a great smoke for the first two-thirds of the bowl. But towards the bottom third of the bowl, in many different pipes, this tobacco grew hot, to everyone?s dislike, and spicy, to my dislike. Perique overload? Perique is supposedly not an ingredient in this blend. Also, it will bite if not careful. I am no stranger to VA blends but this blend just didn?t do it for me: each bowl was very rewarding at first only to ?slap me in the face? later. I have to be negative because of this characteristic; I won?t be trying it again. As regards Astley?s blends, #109 blend doesn?t treat me this badly and, as such, I like it much better.

I rate this tobacco 5.0 out of 10.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Excellent African Virginia leaf that's been steamed and pressed like a good suit.This really brings out the natural sugars and wonderful taste. The dark flakes in my tin were barely broken up. The tin aroma is soft and deep natural tobacco. The smoke tastes like Virginia should taste, gooood and laid back, a bit of the tang,and very fresh. This is a goooood backy!

LoisKelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoisKelly (55)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Compared to No. 109, No. 44 comes up short. The tin may say "dark", but it is (visually) lighter than its sibling. It may appeal to fans of drier, less sweet VAs, and packs more of a kick than 109, but cannot match the latter in terms of smoothness, taste, lushness, and overall quality.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

This being my first experience with the Astleys tobacco, I was a little leery of the taste and the strength as I prefer the Danish Blends.

This was an open tin that was given to me so I cannot really comment on my impression of the freshness, although the tobacco was not dry and packed well. The tobacco smoked very well with no harsness or tongue bite, I did detect a subtle hint of sweetness in the taste as the tobacco burned slowly to the bottom of the bowl.

The one impression I did receive from No. 44 that it left me satisfied like that of the first cup of a rich Columbian Coffee in the morning.

This will be added to my shelf of occasional tobaccos to smoke.

This is another good tobacco from Astleys via the German blender, Kohlhase & Kopp. The cakes of golden and brown VA are ~ 1.5"x2", pliable with an ideal moisture content and therefore, ideally suited to my normal packing technique with no rubout. This also results in easy lights and an effortless smoke. The tin aroma and taste are just from high quality VAs which is also my preference. The room aroma is strong and woodsy but not so harsh as to bother my family. A rich, cool, very tasty, natural, straight VA that should be tried by those that might enjoy these flakes.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I like this blend and 109 the best of the Astley Virginias. Highly refined tobacco in small, dark flakes. Very pliable, easy to pack and lights quickly. It smokes to a fine white ash all the way down to the dottle with very little tending. My problem with this tobacco and with the other Astely's I have smoked is that they do not deliver a big Virginia flavor. They all seem to fall into a very narrow range of flavor: Thoroughly processed, quality tobacco with very little tobacco flavor together with a light sweetener. They also have tendency to burn a little hot, hotter than McClelland's. However, they do not bite, with the exception of #55 at times. I would not place #44 or the other Astey blends in the upper tier of Virginia tobaccos. Paddy.

This stuff is good! Like Tantric, I found Astley's #44 to be remarkably similiar to Rattray's Hal O the Wynd. But, the square cut flakes rubbed out beautifully for me while Tantric found the rub out to be a chore. Perhaps my tin had more age to it and the flakes were drier.

Unlike Astley's #109, which I found to be lacking in the flavor department, #44 is much richer and boasts a nicotine wallop worth seeking. Not as elegant as Hal O the Wynd, but still a gratifying smoke.

This is a dark Virginia, pressed with a bit of bright. No tangy smell or citrus flavor here. Just a straight forward tobacco taste. I am sure this blend will age beautifully. So, I will be making room for several tins in my cellar.

BriarNorth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarNorth (49)

I concur with the gentlemen above that this is superb smoke. The flakes are faily loose to me (but then, I smoke Erinmore flakes now and then...try rubbing those out!) so they crumbled and packed into the bowl just fine. Flavour is pure Virgnia goodness, crisp, toasty and sweet. True tobacco flavour here, no frills, just good straight-on Virginia. Tongue-wise, you're always living on the edge with straight Virginias, eh? So this one's no different. With a gentle puffing rhythm, this smokes quite cool. Highly recommended for the Virginia lover. I'll be stashing some tins for sure.

Willy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Willy (75)

This, IMO, has to be one of, if not the best, VA tobaccos I've smoked. The short flakes are colors of golds & browns. The tin aroma is delicious, I just wish I could put other words to it. I've smelled that smell before, I just can't seem to place it. The aroma almost makes your mouth water. Rubs out well, packs equally well, lights well, almost a one-light deal. Moisture level was spot-on, at least for me. Mildly tangy as well as spicey and citrusy, it is, as the description says, full of flavor and very easy on the tongue. That tin aroma peeks in during the smoke w/bits of light sweetness here and there. Slight woodsy notes, nice and rich. Tasty, very tasty. Cool and creamy w/a flavor that's consistent to the bottom of the bowl where you find a small amount of fluffy gray ash when you're finished. Never harsh and only minor gurgling. Used one cleaner about 1/2way down the bowl, that's all. I have a coupla favorite Castellos, a bent G65 Sea Rock and a straight 3k #25 Sea Rock I've been smoking this in and they will not see anything but this tobak from here on. This to me is VA tobak at its finest. All three Astley's I've tried (#109, #55, #44) are most enjoyable, and I'm looking forward to trying #2 as well, but for now I'm really liking #44, and dare I say, this could easily be my favorite so far. Others have spoken of their island favorite, that one tobak they would hafta have. As of right now, this would be mine. As w/other Astley's this is a wee bit pricey, but, not moreso than some other high-end tobaccos. IMHO it's well worth it, and I will be getting more soon. Delectable. Highest accolades. Most assuredly works for me!

I have been disappointed because what I discovered was not a dark VA flake, but a rather medium coloured flake. The taste reminds me, somehow, of offerings such as Old Gowrie or brown Clunee from Rattray.

Recommended as a VA Flake, but not recommended if you are looking for a Dark VA.

Pipe Used: Stanwell, Danish Sovereign

Similar Blends: Rattray's Old Gowrie and Brown Clunee.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

No.44 is a dark, plain Jane VA. Now I have to say that's saying a good deal since I'm not a straight VA fan. There are quite a few VAs out there that share this taste profile and its good, just very singular in its flavor and will not hold my attention for very long. If you like your VAs straight, then pick some of this up and give it a poke. No tongue bite, burned well enough, not too shabby.