Original, granulated in English style. The natural mildness of Virginia and Oriental tobaccos is enhanced by granulating. A very fragrant flavour. Mild to the tongue.

BrandExclusiv
Blended ByPoschl Tabak
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia
FlavoringOrange
Strength
Taste
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I have found a bell cow tobacco here!

A tin of Exclusiv's Royal has been hanging around in my "tobacco cellar" for several years. Tonight, in a somewhat adventerous spirit after a dull day at the office, I decided to try a new blend. This was my choice and am I ever glad I popped the tin. What took me so long?

Other members here have perfectly described the cut and moisture level of the tobacco; it is more than a cube cut and I guess granulated (mentioned on the tin), is as good a descriptive as any. It fit easily into my Bruce Weaver sandblasted Lovat and burned clean down to a fine white ash with just a couple of relights.

I find this tobacco to be refreshingly old fashioned with the flavor of the Virginia and Oriental components dominating early and the Burley coming on in the late rounds. There is more than a smidgen of strength here, and the taste is a little more sweet than sour. Not a complex smoke, just good old tobacco that delivers what this palate craves; a little strength, a tobacco taste, a cool and even burn and a uniqueness that'll keep me coming back for more.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Back when I started smoking pipes, over 20 years ago, this was one of the most ubiquitous blends in the tobacco stores of the time in Germany. Like many other beginners, I was going for the cheap aromatics and only managed to buy a tin of Royal by mistake. At the time I did not think much of it.

Fast forward 20 years, I am looking for Orientals-dominated mixtures and I remember... there was this stuff made by those Bavarians... so I tried to find a tin for the last year or so, with no luck. This once very common blend has become a rare beast here. Well, a few weeks ago I got both lucky and a tin.

The content is every bit as I remembered from long ago: very dry aroma, a light floral topping, the cut fit for the wider pipes, colours of the leaf mostly light to medium browns. Very easy to stuff, lights readily, and if smoked somewhat carefully, it will burn down to light grey ashes and no dottle. The tin contains a plastic liner which the leaf has been pressed into; some loosening is required before stuffing.

The thing that will probably turn off most beginners is that there is very little sweetness in there. Exclusiv Royal is dominated by the Orientals, with the Burley contributing some nuttiness and the VA forming a solid base, but contributing only little sweetness compared to VA/Pers or most VA flakes.

This blend is all about the spice and the varying aromas of the Orientals, and that is where it delivers. The room note is according; not very sociable, but probably acceptable. Some may complain that it is cigar-ish; I would disagree with them. Others may complain that this blend does not fit into any category: it is not an English blend or a Balkan, and not a proper aromatic either. But fitting in is not what this blend is about.

If you want that Oriental spice, try this blend by all means; you will find it luxurious, easy to maintain and quite tasty, almost creamy. A good, strong coffee should go along with it just fine; maybe a darker roast to go along with the driness of the Orientals.

So, everything said, and with the warning that it's not for everybody, I do recommend.

Update 12-30-12: Others have commented that the room note is very nice and chocolate-ish; while I personally don't get that out of it I will trust Those Who Get To Smell It and accordingly up-rate the room note.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new pouch

Purchased From: Various

SApipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SApipe (31)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco has a mild fruity aroma in the can, but you taste only tobacco upon lighting and thru out the smoke. The small granulated flakes are a breeze to load in the pipe (just scoop them up into the bowl). It lights readily and requires minimal relighting. I do get some gurgling, although the tobacco seems rather dry (it may be my own saliva). I do not detect the taste of virginia at all. Initially, it is primarily a simple/plain tobacco flavor (probably the oriental). About halfway thru the bowl you begin to taste and smell the burley. The room note reminds me of the tobacco my grandfather smoked many years ago. All in all, this is a very satisfying smoke for the price. It's not fancy and has no exotic flavors added....just plain old-time tobacco that burns to a white ash. I'll give it 3 stars.

indyf1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
indyf1 (17)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a darn good smoke. Smooth, even flavored, and without any potentially unpleasant topping. It tastes like tobacco, and smokes like a dream. No bite at all.

While smoking this blend, I can imagine a young man of priveleged background, college age, puffing away in front of a bonfire on his family's beach in the Hamptons. He's weaing his Ivy League college sweatshirt, khaki shorts and docksiders, cute brunette -- biology major -- clutched alongside. The waxing crescent moon is rising as our young lad lets out a sigh of satisfaction, smoke billowing from his straight briar pipe bowl.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (62)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

I happily echo spike's comments concerning this blend, adding only that it is my "all-occasion/any excuse for a bowlful" favorite. Upon opening, a delicious aroma wafts out of the tin, suggesting a stronger topping than one actually experiences (a good thing). The granulation of the tobacco makes it easy to load and light. It smokes cool, has a delicate flavor and leaves little or no moisture in the dottle, unless you have a tendency to drool into your pipe's stem. Actually, it leaves that "little white ash" (for the most part), characteristic of English-type blends. Well, in my experience, anyway. Most important, Royal Mild carries an inoffensive (I prefer the word 'pleasant', but my wife doesn't)room note, making it an unobtrusive smoke virtually any place that you can get away with smoking.

This tobacco blend reminded me a little of P.S. cube-cut. Slightly milder and much easier to light due to the "granular" cut. It comes in thin small flakes, somewhat larger than a cube-cut tobacco. The flavor is more interesting also due to the inclusion of Oriental(Turkish) leaf. The tin just says "Royal" then in smaller letters below it says "mild granulated". It is mild in the sense that Dunhills' Light Flake is mild. A very easy product to fill your bowl also. Just loosen the tobacco some and sweep your pipe bowl through it and you are about 80% filled. Don't pack it too firmly. Perfect moisture content as recieved and smokes slow and steady all the way down. Well recommended for those who are tired of all the mixtures that include Latakia or Perique.

Dottie Warden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dottie Warden (7)

When I purchased my first pouch of this about 6 months ago, I didn’t know what to think. Although I experienced heavy tongue bite at first, after 5 or 6 bowls it seemed to disappear. In the beginning it was the after taste that kept brining me back for more but soon the taste of this tobacco really began to grow on me. I think the key is to smoke it at just the right moisture level to bring out its true flavor. Don’t make up your mind on this one too quickly either; give it a chance, it may grow on you as well. Exclusiv Royal is currently my go to smoke and I’m now buying up as much of it as I can get as it will no longer be sold here in Mexico. With all the stellar brands now available in the US I can see how this old German OTC can be overlooked. I highly recommend it, not because it’s inexpensive, but because it’s a true living German classic. In agreement with pipey duck, it would be a shame if this blend were to disappear.

Pipe Used: Kings Cross Featherweight

Age When Smoked: 5 years aproximately

Purchased From: Noble House, Mexico City

pipey duck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipey duck (15)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

a wonderful sweet and tender smoke , with just a little flavour added to bring the orientals shine. no bite at all and very cheap. I hope this tobacco not to dissapear like the highly recommended Prime Mixture ,also from Poeschel. Solid 3 stars

Pipe Used: Bristol Jobber

Age When Smoked: 8 years old

Purchased From: e bay but available in germany currently

ithomka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ithomka (8)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Light english style from Germany: virginia-burley-orient leafs without latakia. Cube cut. Aroma: good taste of these tobaccos. This tobacco good for peoples who likes non-aromatic "baccy" Good choice from the Pöschl-Tobacco range.

Very Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I must agree with most of what the esteemed Pipestud points out in his review, except for one thing: tongue bite! As much as I like the taste and old fashion spiciness of this tobacco, and no matter how delicately I puff, my God, this thing bites! Not only that: after smoking it, it tends to leave my palate dry, and my throat scorched.

It may be the packaging, since I?ve only found it in 50 g. plastic pouches. Also, I don?t believe I?ve ever smoked an aged version of this weed. For a number of years this blend was available down here in Mexico, in a chain of stores that also sell Middleton?s and Mac Barens. I do like the texture and the granulated presentation of the leaf, and I also enjoy the fresh, slightly piquant smell upon opening the pouch. In my view, however, this is extremely mild, tending toward a natural flavour, but very bland and uneventful.

At one point I even mixed in a little Prince Albert to see if it managed to give it a little more oomph, and temper its rabid tendency to bite (after all, I also use Prince Albert to produce my very own Half and Half mixture, by adding it in equal proportions to Virginia Nº1, and it does tone done the biting nature of MacBaren?s Virginia). It did help, somewhat. But, alas, it?s too much of a struggle for me.

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a fair Oriental mixture with a mild and undefinable topping. I can't relate it to anything known, so the best description I can provide is "I don't like it".

I won't be revisiting it in the foreseeable future, but I give it 2 stars on the basis that I wouldn't look down on someone enjoying a bowl.