A sturdy foundation of Virginia tobaccos, each chosen for its particular character, is enhanced with fine flakes of Perique for a refined smoking experience. Telegraph Hill is rich and flavorful, with a satisfying, lingering finish. Each sip builds upon the last, creating a marvelous edifice of taste and aroma. You won't worry about earthquakes if your pipe is filled with this wonderful blend.

Notes: Telegraph Hill was released in May, 2005.

BrandG. L. Pease
Where to Buy BnB Tobacco
Strength
Taste

3.2

What does one write about the best VaPer (IMHO)... the one that replaces Escudo and McClellands St James Woods, not to mention several others?

GLP tobaccos, as a rule, make me work very diligently to unlock their potential. As I like to say, they hold "secrets" that are up to me to figure out. A few of them either have still held onto those secrets or I simply discovered I did not care for them. Many more eventually turned out wonderfully. But rare is the GLP tobacco that hits me with a hammer blow from the first puff and makes me exclaim "Ahhhh... this is IT!".

Telegraph Hill is the consummate VaPer, in my book. The virginias are the perfect base to a fairly heavy dose of perique, not overwhelming, but very very prominent. Fillmore overdosed me with perique and harshness but this one is just perfect. It's mellow but not too mild, it's almost briny as opposed to peppery, and it burns very cool. Because it is so flavorful, I was afraid that this blend couldn't kick back and relax with me, but it does that perfectly as well. I would call this a spicy blend as opposed to a sweet one, but it also possesses a bread-like quality. No hay or fruit. And nothing approaching bite. Never could coax much bite from GLP blends, and this one won't bite even when abused. But smoked in a normal slow cadence, this one delivers what Cope's Escudo and Bell's Three Nuns used to, as well as the old McConnell version of Ashton's Old London Pebblecut. Fantastic blend! I cannot rate this one highly enough. It seems to take a backseat to Fillmore in the popularity arena but I find it infinitely more to my taste. As far as I'm concerned, Greg has mastered the venerable VaPer blend. No need for me to experiment further.

Mike Castello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Castello (49)

I have waited to write this review in order to feel that I know the blend sufficiently to make a judgement. Now that I have smoked several tins it is time to give you my impressions. This is a Virginia Perique blend to challenge the old stand bys. Let's start with the basics. The cut is a bit course, a mix of different shades of brown loosly packed in the tin American style as opposed to the tightly packed tins from Europe. The aroma is tangy Virginia, not the sweet pungent variety (a la McClelland. This is not a put down, but rather a comparison). Packing in the pipe is pretty easy enough. The moisture level of the tobacco is just right making lighting easy. One tamp, a relight and you are on your way. Now we leave the basics and go to the flavor. This is the part we want to know and why we read reviews. It is true Virginia just like other Pease Virginias, but the amount of perique is on the generous side so the spicy taste is definatly there. The tobaccos are very well balanced as we would expect from Greg Pease the master blender. If you have smoked his Stratford, Telegraph Hill is very similar, but stronger. I like the added strength because it brings more flavor. I always ask how a Virginia Perique blend compares to Three Nuns. Telegraph is almost as good, maybe even equal to the perennial champ. In my experience this is my favorite Pease entry into the world of Virginia blends.

mainspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mainspring (27)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

I was really looking forward to this one. At this point I must say that I am somewhat dissapointed. I say "at this point" because I believe the tobacco is too young to be judged fairly. Telegraph Hill is a beautiful tobacco to look at. The perique is in good measure. It just doesn't have the sweetness that I prepared myself for and it can burn a bit hot. I think time will really bring out the potential in this blend. Hopefully I will be able to give a positive update in the future.

UPDATE: I just had to try this again after stoving it a bit. I vacuum packed some of the tobak and then wrapped it in tin foil. It sat in the car under the seat for 2 1/2 weeks in this Texas heat. What an amazing difference! This can't be the same Telegraph Hill that I tried a few weeks ago! My original thoughts were correct. This tobacco is just too young out of the tin to be FULLY appreciated. The taste on the tongue is sugary sweet with just a hint of perique to tickle the nose. It burns cool and smokes good all the way down the bowl. It is a very clean taste on the palate and tongue with no bite whatsoever. If this has changed this much in just a couple of weeks in the heat, its potential is truly great! I have found a new favorite in the tobacco world which is always a wonderful find.

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (37)

Less is more -- Mies van der Rohe

Greg Pease himself has said of Telegraph Hill that "...each sip builds upon the last...". I agree. Like an expensive perfume, a little TH goes a long way for me, and I prefer to sip and sniff this blend meditatively from a small-ish pipe. I have a small pot that renders TH perfectly. Although TH is a fine VA/Per, for sure, it is also about as fine a blend, generally speaking, as I have smoked; simple, yet not so simple; fragrant, almost floral, yet rich with unspoiled tobacco scents and tastes. It's nothing special to look at, broken ribbon bits of various shades of reddish brown with some darker flecks, and a few small stems and veins thrown in at no extra charge. The tin note is well-melded, yielding gracefully to inquisition, generally fragrant rather than piquant, with fig newtons, apricots, and citrus over buttered oatmeal, with a solid-but-deferential VA backbone. I load TH loosely, and it burns OK once it's lit, burning down rather quickly. Lit, the scents play out in earnest, adding caramel, resin-y incense and "exotic" spices, and all of this translates to tastes, as well, along with some sugar, walnuts, and something like faint old Bourbon. The citrus also lends a nice astringency. Smoked gently, there is just a little sharpness from the VAs, and the flavors concentrate and sour some down the bowl, then TH unfurls like a symphony. Strength is mild to medium, significantly less strong than Laurel Heights. I mostly smoke TH outdoors, but still air is definitely the ticket. It smells great to me, but I am aware that Perique often offends bystanders. Aftertaste is a slightly "smoky" version of the smoke that soon fades to a lengthy best-of reverie. Did I mention that TH ages well? Indeed, it does. My stash from the initial release is smoking VERY well now. If you have problems with a young tin, jar it and you will be pleasantly surprised later.

IMO, TH simply nails the VA/Per category. Still, I think it might find favor with any slow smoker who enjoys a subtle and complex VA blend. I say this because, despite the Perique is critically important here, it comes across in a way that's unique in my experience in this particular blend. 4 stars from me, along with a spot on my favorites list.

Pipe Used: various briars; small pots preferred

Age When Smoked: young to as old as it gets

Purchased From: Liberty Tobacco

Similar Blends: Compares/contrasts to GLP Embarcadero.

A really terrific blend if you like a lot of perique with a bit of spice and raisin and fig notes. The Virginias have an earthy, lightly tangy quality, with a richness of flavor, and no hay taste. Good nic hit, too. There's enough variety of flavors to keep you endlessly interested. The Virginia gets more fullsome as it ages, too. If you smoke it in a big bowl, sip it to savor all the flavors. That'll keep you busy for a while because it's a cool, but slow burning blend. If you use a small bowl, go at a regular pace if you prefer. It's hard to go wrong no matter how and when you decide to help yourself to one of the better VaPers around.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (83)

It seems odd for me to award only 3 stars after so many gushing reviews of GLP tobacco, and it's not that this tobacco is bad - not by any stretch. I think it was just so highly recommended to me, by so many people, that it was impossible to live up to my expectations. Overall this is an excellent, straightforward, quality VaPer. No complaints. Given the choice, I would prefer Fillmore. But this is certainly another excellent VaPer from a true master blender.

So here we have an excellent study in VaPer blends. GL Pease has kept things very simple and straight forward, and probably end up all the better for it.

The aroma in the tin is pretty standard for an untopped Virginia. Bright, pointed, clean, and with a bit of pepper from the Perique.

The tobacco packed well, charred and lit well. It burns fairly uniformly from beginning to end, with only the few standard relights necessary. No surprises here...it meets the expectations of a VaPer.

As far as taste is concerned, this is a great example of 'less is more.' There isn't anything too overwhelmingly complex. Just as advertised its a base of well blended (non flavored, cased, or topped) Virginias with just a bit of Perique to enhance things. The taste is fairly basic and nothing to write home about for about the first quarter bowl. Then things get fun. After about a quarter bowl, something magical happens--the flavors suddenly meld entirely together into a very rich, straightforward, slightly sweet base with little highlights of spice (for the perique)...this continues all the way through to the bottom of the bowl. In every sense, this embodies the standard of VaPers. There are certainly VaPers that are richer, more complex, more bold and more sophisticated than this, but TG hasn't ever left me unsatisfied--plus, fewer "bells and whistles" means fewer things to go awry.

The pipe burns evenly all the way to the bottom...the ash is more medium-to-dark grey that light grey/white for me. I have noticed that the pipes in which I smoke TG seem to build cake quicker than others...don't know if that's worth anything to anyone else, but I thought it was interesting.

On the whole, I'd give this 3-out-of-4. A very experienced, sophisticated smoker might prefer a slightly more complex VaPer blend, but this is great for those who want to enjoy a simple and straightfoward blend. Its also great for a beginning pipe smoker or a good transitional blend for those trying non-aromatics for the first time.

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (59)

1st time I smoke this blend when my friend take a visit to my house and smoking pipe together. I took a little bit of this ribbon cut tobacco and pack it into my pipe just a half of the bowl. I smoke it with hurry because that is my beginning period to smoking a pipe and honestly I don't enjoy it all with the harsness, peppery, and spiciness of this blend, and when my friend offer me to give me some, I refuse it, don't want to smoke this blend again.

After half of year, my other friend send me this blend again, full of tin, unopened can. I keep it in to the storage for 2-3 month because I think I don't like this blend like the first time I had tried it before so I let this baccy stand on my desk for a time and not touch it. And some how, after my journey with VaPer blends, I fall in love with VaPer and I remember I still have 1 tin of blend that I had not touch it for a time so I decide it to open this blend and try to smoke it.

1st scent I open the tin I can smell a pleasant flavor of raisin and plum and I really like it. The ribbon cut and its color very attractive on my sight so I start to pack it into my pipe and light it. And my god, the smoke is very great, taste and flavor are perfect, the sweetness and mellow smoke from fine virginia leaves with scent of raisin make me so happy. At first light, the strength and taste are so mild and mellow, but after I relight it, is getting stronger but without loose any hint of the sweetness and rich flavor of the raisin and fruity scent.

Sure I will make this blend as one of my favorite. I really enjoy it from the first light until the finish. Easy packing, burnt well, great smoke, and a pleasant journey. Without doubt, I will give this blend 4 star. Its a complete taste, the sweetness, peppery, and spiciness are great.

Pipe Used: Galih Asem

Similar Blends: H&H Lousiana Red.

Latakiafile Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakiafile (8)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Telegraph Hill was my intoduction to Virginia/Perique blends it has little nicotine strength, but that isn't one of the things I look for in a pipe tobacco being a former Camel smoker. The first thing that caught me was the Virginias, they were very sweet and smooth throughout the bowl. About midway through I started getting a little spice from the Perique. I am mostly drawn to English/Balkan blends so my pallate may miss some of the more complex nuances this fine blend has to offer but over all I find this blend to be a very satisfying smoke. I now keep two tins on hand. If you havent tried a Virginia/Perique Blend before, this one is an excellent place to start.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (47)

WOW!!! I can't think of a better way to express my joy when experiencing this very fine and pleasurable high quality blend from Greg Pease.

I received a small sample of this tabac in an order from my online tobacconist. I filled up my Prince of Whales with half of the contents of the sample package. The aroma from the package was heavenly in and of itself. The light up was very easy and flavorful with a strong fresh hit of fine Virginia leaf and a good jolt of nicotine as well. Sip after sip the flavor and aroma just kept building, just the right amount of Perique really sends the taste sensation of this blend to cloud nine. This one really holds a fresh and flavorful smoke from start to finish. A brilliant combination of sweet and nutty with a slight amount of pepper at the finish.

I savored this bowl from start to finish. My eyes immediately gazed at the remainder of the tobacco in the sample bag. Enough for the car ride to the tobacco shop I thought to myself. I purchased three more tins, one to smoke and two to cellar. I will update this review when I have sampled the contents of one of the aged tins. Six or so months I think if I can keep my hands off it!

As a fan of Virginia flakes I was eager to try Telegraph Hill. Compared to Stratford this blend is a darker, richer flavor and the Perique just adds to that rich flavor without shouting "Perique!" This will be even better with a bit of age on it. Highly recommended to "VaPer" fans.

Bart Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bart (2)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I purchased two tins of Telegraph Hill as soon as it was released, intending to age them for several months before opening. To do otherwise, I thought, would not be fair to the tobacco or to my tongue. However, one Friday evening, while trying to relax from a long week and in the mood for something different, I threw caution to the wind and popped a open a tin (with a date on the bottom that was only two weeks prior). I'm glad I did! The tin aroma was wonderful, but I didn't linger to appreciate it as I was anxious to get it in the pipe and smoking. About two matches and 5 puffs later a smile must have spread across my face. Although I was bracing myself for a sharp zing on the tongue, what I experienced was luscious, rich and sweet Virginias. About the first forth of the bowl was all Virgina, then I noticed the Perique. About half way into the bowl the Perique really asserted itself, and seemed to take the lead by the end, leaving a spicy, peppery aftertaste. Each sip does build on the last, as the description claims, but it builds in the direction of Perique. Now, I love Perique and this was a welcome development to me, but I can see that some smokers might not enjoy such a Perique-laden finish. After smoking many more bowls in a variety of pipes, I think the Perique development can be lessened (if one wishes) by smoking this blend is a smaller bowl.

Overall, a rich, fragrant and nuanced blend that deserves to be smoked slowly and with one's full attention. No doubt it will improve with age, but I think it is very enjoyable now.

I liked Telegraph Hill so much that the next day I popped a tin of Montgomery that I was allowing to age. I though it too was wonderful, but that's for a different review. Lately I've been smoking mainly T.H. and Montgomery, and am one happy pipe smoker.

To put my impressions in context, I smoke mainly Virginia/Burley/Perique blends, and my requlars are Cumberland and Haddo's. If you have similar tastes, I would highly recommend Telegraph Hill (and Montgomery), and don't be deterred by it's youth.

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (17)

I've given Telegraph Hill two star but I think it a somewhat better tobacco than that (two and one-half would be about right, in my estimation). On the plus side, it's made from high quality leaf and has no obvious flaws from a taste, aroma or smokability standpoint. On the other hand, it's from one of the world's premier blenders and costs a lot, hence, much is expected of it. So, bottom line, while I like TH, I like a lot of other VaPers, including some that are much less expensive, a lot more.

For me, TH falls down on several counts. First, the Virginias are a lot less Virginia-like than most other VaPers. In particular, the Virginias in TH are not very sweet or fruity tasting but instead are more grassy and nutty (if I didn't know better, I would have guessed that TH was a burley-Perique blend rather than a VaPer). Second, the Perique component dominates TH from the first puff until well down the bowl. If you like Perique, as I do, this is not a bad thing but, in TH there just isn't enough Virginia flavor to balance out the spiciness of the Perique. Third, by the time the Perique ceases to dominate the palate (about three-quarters of the way down the bowl), the rather lackluster Virginias do not provide much in the way of a flavor alternative and the smoke becomes rather bland.

On the plus side, the cut and moisture content are excellent right out of the tin so TH is easy to pack, light and smoke. Nor is there any bite, bitterness or other objectionable characteristics to detract from one's smoking enjoyment. Unfortunately, there just isn't enough enjoyment from me to want to smoke it again.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Age When Smoked: Recently purchased

Don't be put off by my low rating, it just means I like other Vapers better and not that this is bad. To me this isn't real interesting and kind of bland. It basically tastes like Union Square ( a fairly bland Virginia) with some perique . This results in more of a bitter aftertaste than a sour raisin taste, more base tones than the high notes.

I kind of agree with reviewers,"Perique 01/17/2013" and "Noorrmm 07/27/2006 "

My tin dates from Jun 12.

Very good VA/PER that tastes like none other...but which, at the same time, keeps reminding me of Elizabethan Mixture in the cut, leaf colour, aroma and taste.

Never strong like Fillmore, the PER plays a supporting role. TH is creamy, not very complex but far from being boring. It has a tendency to not stay lit very long, but that is because the tobacco needs to dry out a bit longer. Then, it will also reveal more flavour.

If you are looking for a VA/PER that distinguishes itself, then TH is for you.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)

If you are looking for a quality VaPer, look no further. Awesome tin aroma of fig and raisins, with a slight tang.

Loads and lights easily, smokes like a dream. Thick and rich smoke, that can sting the noseholes if puffed too hard. However, it never hints at biting.

Finishing up a tin right now, dated 09/07

Highly recommended VaPer, one of my favorite late summer blends.

Pairs well with a bright, acidic coffee.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (40)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I have been meaning to post a review on this stuff all summer. Also, my BPD has dropped a great deal due to some work issues and the silly heat we had in the region over the summer. A normally delightful pipefull becomes burdensome when the temperature is 103 and the heat index is 115.....but I digress.

Telegraph Hill is NOT as close a cousin to Fillmore as I thought it might be. For one, it is a very soft ribbon cut and not a broken flake. Not a big deal to me, but I find it requires a good deal more attention when loading your pipe as the very soft nature of the leaf can lead to over packing and a poor draw. That poor draw is a one way ticket to bites-ville baby. But, keep it loose, and tamp sparingly to allow an easy loose draw and you will find success.

The tin aroma is kind of buttery, caramel, pastry, and almost a hint of some other flavor/scent that makes me want to say "MALT". No sour, vinegar, or fermentation like my Fillmore experience. The smell makes me want to smoke it, the feel makes me want to dig around in the tin to see what I can find.

It lights fairly easily, with a minimum of fuss and is easy to keep lit. The flavors I am getting are a SLIGHT reminder of past experiences, but the layers are in a different order. The nuttyness, the bakery and pastry, and the fruityness all hit in different phases than what I was expecting, and with less pepper and spice as well. The Perique doesn't seem to be a huge player for me.....but that musty, earthy, raisiny quality is in fact in there.

Telegraph responds really well to changes of pace. Let it almost go out if you grow tired of the flavors you are pulling, and PRESTO!......all together different. It also DGTs rather well.

While I enjoy it a good deal, I am not sure how much of it I would feel a need to keep on the shelf. Due to the need to pack light and loose, my tin will last a good long time. Not to mention the fact that more than one bowl of this a day can leave my tongue with a sort of dull ache....who knows, can't explain that one.

GLP did a good job here. If Fillmore was overwhelming to you, the milder nature of Telegraph may be what you are looking for........have fun!

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (40)

The GL Pease group of tobaccos has got me. This T. Hill is just as enjoyable as the Stratford and the Lombard. Don't like it better it is just a little different. The room note is not as pleasant as Stratford or Lombard, but it is still quite nice. Will be in my cycle of regular tobaccos for a good while.

Don't just sit there try a can of this one too. Update 1/7/2009 This is still just great! Pairing suggestion: Actually this one goes well with a moderate Syrah, blended Scotch whisky and Irish whiskey.

Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable to Strong

Out of the classic VaPers that I've smoked from GLPease, this is the one I enjoy the most. Perique content is on the high side, and the variety of Virginias provide a balance and depth that I haven't found in Stratford or Fillmore.

As with all Pease tobaccos, tongue bite is nil. Recommended.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

Tins (12) Purchased 2005

Fillmore? Telegraph Hill? Different parts of The City. Flake versus Ribbon...apples and oranges, therefore no comparison in my book.

Definitely benefits from some aging, and I don't think three years' worth is sufficient...better now than it was then. Better balance of sweet, tangy and sharp Virginias with the spice and pepper of Perique making itself known only after the quarter bowl mark, for me, at least. This is a transitional Va/Per for me...summer into fall and winter into spring. Not enough Perique refreshment for the dog days, and the Virginias aren't deep enough for snowy, cold gray days by the fire...that's why they invented Latakia.

Very Highly Recommended

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

The sample that I got was a bit too dry for my tastes so I put the sample in a bowl and put a wet towel over the top of it for about 4 hours. After that I pulled some out and started loading my pipe. This stuff was really easy to load and tamped down really easily.

Upon lighting this blend up I was greeted with very, very mild Virginias. I didn?t taste any Perique in there yet but since I have experienced this before with other blends I wasn?t too worried about it. This blend burns very cleanly and doesn?t require any relights.

Okay, getting near the middle of the bowl and I am still waiting for any kind of appearance from the Perique. I get subtle whiffs of it as I?m smoking but nothing that ever tastes like it in my draw. Now I had read some of the reviews on tobaccoreviews.com and knew ahead of time that this blend was pretty light on the Perique but I certainly wasn?t expecting this.

Down at the bottom of the bowl now and there has been the vague appearance of Perique right near the end of the smoke.

Overall, I didn?t like the blend as a VaPer blend. As a Virginia it was pretty good. It was very mild and never presented a problem either to my tongue or to the burn of the blend. This blend would probably serve as a good bridge for a straight Virginia smoker to start down the VaPer road but I think that anyone who is a VaPer smoker will find this blend way too plain.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)

Tin: Date stamped on bottom: 100906(09OCT06). Lightly musty, tangy wheat-straw aroma. Mostly red, some light tan. The Perique is supple, not a hard flake, and comprises ~5%. The tobacco is supple, springy and moist. A week later, I would say it has fruity tone; this may be due to the tin being opened for a week, or a change in perception.

Packing & Lighting: Some of the tobacco is long and stringy. Took several matches to get this stuff to stay lit, and then a lot of frantic puffing to keep it that way, partly due to the way it was packed. In another pipe, it behaved better. When smoked outdoors on a cool day, it produced the usual moisture in the stem.

Taste & Aroma: Rather unremarkable, stale, particularly compared to other Fog City Selections. No bite.

Smoked in another briar a week later, it is vaguely pungent woodsy.

Nicotine: mild to medium. The Perique does not contribute much.

Room Note: Somewhat sharp, smoky, tolerable.

Overall: Maybe I got a bad batch. A few flecks looked molded. The perique presence seemed to be perceptible only after the tin had been opened for a few days. Compared to other FCS blends, 2 stars.

daidunno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
daidunno (9)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am only beginning to explore VAs, but this was a treat. Sugary (not syrupy, but a pleasant 'lightly dusted' type of sweetness) in the beginning and a very good smoke to the bottom of the bowl with the flavors changing pleasantly throughout. Very little bite detected even though I maybe should've dried it a little bit more before smoking and so puffed a bit harder than normal. Very nice.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

You have no idea how it pains me to admit this, but I mostly agree with PIPESTUD on this mixture.

It's a nice fine ribbon cut, mostly orange and red shades with some small amounts of lemon and dark brown.

The aroma is just another medium Virginia with a trace of Perique.

When first lit, it doesn't pack the flavor of Cumberland, nor does it have the light grassy delicate taste of Stratford. It does have a good mouth feel, but the flavors seem muted. The can I opened was about one year old. Since it was introduced in 2005, nobody knows how well it will age, but this one just didn't bloom for me the way other GLP blends do. It smokes well all the way down the bowl, and leaves a clean ash in a dry pipe, but that's it.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Update 6-24-06 I am definitely upgrading to four stars. Sometimes tobaccos grow on you, sometimes not. Not sure what happened here, but going from two to four stars is a leap. I am obviously enjoying TH much more now. The amount of perique seems just right now and I detect hints of berries, fruit, and faint citrus. A wonderful smoke when your palate is clear. TH is starting to resemble more of a toned-down Haddos rather than Bayou Morning. Enjoy.

aj

Old:

The tobaccos used by Greg are high quality and Telegraph Hill is no exception. However, Telegraph Hill did not quite do it for for me. This is rather odd since I enjoy many of the C&D offerings, especially Briar Fox and Bayou Morning. Telegraph Hill is not Bayou Morning, nor does it attempt to be. However, there are similarities. Anyway, the perique is far too weak for my liking and there is a dry ashy taste about mid-bowl. However, there is a short lived creaminess which is nice. Adding some blending perique helps Telegraph Hill, but I still find it a little boring.

Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

This is a quite pedestrian Va/Per that has a very familiar taste - yep, a dozen or so other similar blends are on the market, many with a much fuller and more satisfying flavor.

If the Virginia leaf thrown into this blend was more refined and the flavor more intense, I might have given Telegraph Hill two stars. This one isn't even middlin' as far as I'm concerned.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (57)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Quality tobacco, with a surprisingly potent contribution of Perique. Develops through the bowl to achieve its peak. No question, this is a fine presentation of perique amongst some high quality ribbon cut virgia. It truly develops different nuances through even a small bowl, right to the end. Satisfying and whole, this is top notch. Worth keeping a few tins in the cellar if you like this sort of blend. My tin was only a few months old and smoked just perfectly.

After about 20 pipefuls, I can conclude this is a world class blend that is going to age very well. There is a certain verdant sharpness compared to other VaPer caked blends, but this is more than acceptable and satisfying for my incresingly robust taste preferences. Interestingly I smoked this a medium German Radford 1/4 bent with a filter and was pleasantly surprised by the mellowness imparted without losing the spirit and progressive flavour of the blend. I know that American smokers don't use the 9mm filters much, but if you have a filtered briar around, give it a shot. I'd be interested in the thoughts of others...

--- update 2010-11-26 Having opened a 5 year old tin out of necessity (puffed up- evidence of internal fermentation), I have now tasted the effect of aging. This batch from '05 was obviously packed a little too moist, so the microbes were gracefully aging this tobacco. Very nice, rich, spicy, peppery and uniform taste with the VA having aged and mellowed. Nicotine is there to satisfy. Nice stewed fruit flavour in the zone and happy to be smoking this tin.

Tony B Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tony B (8)

I managed to procure a sample of Telegraph Hill blended by GLPease. This was truly an amazing smoke. With first inspection of the tobacco you could tell this was a quality tobacco with the different Virginia tobaccos and perique. The tobacco packed and burned well with just a couple of matches and light tamping the bowl burned to the bottom.

Upon first light I also found the taste to be very mild to the point of almost bland but after just a few more puffs the flavor began to build and became a very enjoyable smoke. First I tasted the sweetness of the Virginia tobaccos and as the smoke progressed then I noticed the underlying sourness of the perique, which only enhanced the enjoyment of the experience.

This was a very enjoyable tobacco with nice complexity that smoked very cool all the way to the bottom. I am eager to find out how this tobacco ages.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

My first minutes with this tobacco were not very promising: it seemed flat, with very little taste, too delicate and grassy.

After 5 minutes of "warming up", this tobacco turned out a real beauty. The great thing of this blend is its continuous evolution of flavour, which becomes very rich and ever changing (usually in better) until the end of the bowl.

For several reasons the blend reminds me of Montgomery, with its great Virginia base: delicate, but flavorful. Of course here there isn't that "coffee and milk" impression, but rather a delicate sourness, at times almost metallis. Some hay, some fruity acidity and sweetness, some slight and pleasant grassiness.

The Perique content is quite moderate (I don't like it in big percentages), but its presence is clearly felt taste-wise. The result is a supremely smooth blend.

Give this tobacco some time to evolve in the bowl, and you will be rewarded by a very nice smoking experience.

Another winning Virginia+condiments from Greg Pease: I had always preferred his Latakia blends, but it seems he has started a successful streak (at least for my taste) with this Fog City Selection.

bobspipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bobspipe (13)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I've just started exploring more basic virginia blends and was surprisingly enchanted by Montgomery. But I was a bit gun shy of this one -- Greg's reputation for heavy handed perique at times made me think I should quit while I was ahead and skip this one.

Boy am I glad that I didn't. The perique didn't seem even noticeable to me and simply seemed to give the blend a bit more complexity especially in the middle of the bowl. Stays cool and I absolutely love the room note -- don't notice much it much when I'm smoking it, but get that delicious smell when I come back in the room. A great job all around. Give it a try!

rosczich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rosczich (9)

at his time im happy to live on the other side of the puddle, so i got this fantastic tobacco a bit later.saying this i have in mind that most of gregs virginias working better by time passing by. just as i got the tobacco a brand new stiegler pipe arrived at home and i let play them together. first i thought its a bit much to say: you wont worry about earthquakes but greg is right to say it so. for me the brand new standard for virginia perique blends. run out to try this one, no one will regret...

Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

This has to be one of the few Virginia-Perique blends I REALLY like. The Virginias are of great quality and the Perique is just in the right amount. As many GL Pease tobaccos, it's a pleasure to look at this one, it makes you want to smoke it, and when you do it's a great experience. The first part of the bowl is dominated by the Virginias, while the Perique starts digging his way from about half bowl down, building up his flavour more and more till the final taste "explosion", just like a musical "crescendo". The packing and lighting has been very easy and the smoke really cool all the way. Really recommended even to people who usally don't like this kind of blend. My tin hasn't been aged.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Revised 29 May 2005 - I got tired of a friend going on and on about how good TH was. Since our tastes are very similar, I had to wonder why he liked it so much. He brought his tin over one night and it was a whole different experience for me than the first tin I got. I guess the first tin I purchased had something strange going on with it, so I purchased another tin the next day myself.

With the tin my friend had and this tin, I experienced a very rich and fragrant blend that when sipped slowly had layers of subtle flavors. Very, very unlike the first tin I purchased that was tasteless. From past experience with peace blends this should also age wonderfully If I can leave it alone long enough.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (135)

After Stan's terrible plight over Montgomery with the terrible genie of the mirror, let's see what's going on:

Stan: Where am I?

St. Peter (at the Pearly Gate): Welcome my son. What's that? A pipe!

Stan: That's my new Telegraph Hill smoke, sir.

St. Peter: Sorry my son, but there is no smoking here.

Stan: Where am I?

But this stuff is heavenly, sir. Full long strips of perique comprising maybe 10% of the blend and laying on a soft bed of golden and red virginias. Deep but not too strong. Heavier than my beloved Montgomery that a mean genie stole. What a way to enjoy perique. Natrual and straight. Cool, Leathery, dry, easy packing and puffing, biteless ....

St.Peter: Stop! Don't be glutonous. Who make this wicked weed?

Stan: Not wicked; delightful. Pease, the Dark Lord....

St.Peter: Dark Lord!? Who? What? You are cast out!

Stan: ZAP!!!!

Later after Stan's decent:

Stan: Where am I now?

Devil 1: Guess. I see you like smoke.

Stan: Hark. This smoke is heaven sent. I enjoy the taste of perique in a milder way than I though possible. Even without aging, Pease's special process jumps starts the blend and the flavor flows.

Devil 2: Let me try some. After all, we can smoke here.... Hey, this is great!

Devil 1: ... Me too. Ahhhhh. Joy.

Devils 1 and 2: Praise the Lord, this stuff is the greatest.

Enters St. Peter:

St. Peter: Devils praising the Lord. Stan, you must have found something there. From now on, pipe smoking is allowed in Heaven. Gabriel. Gabriel, who took my Ashton?

Stan: Heaven? I'm dead! That dam genie!

St. Peter: No, we're sending you back, Stan, to convert the masses to Telegraph Hill and be saved. Now where's my Ashton?

Stan: Hey gang. I'm back. Telegraph Hill. I smoke it. (Pointing up.) HE smokes it. Try telegraph Hill and I know all will be forgiven. A tobacco that is now allowed in Heaven.

Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (36)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Good old classic VarPer in all regards. Tin note is sweet and figgy with raisins. Nice ribbon cut with good moisture content yet, it still lights up quickly and burns straight down to ash with minimal relights. Can't go wrong with this one If you like VaPers.

yellowking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yellowking (5)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Surprised at the comments on no tongue bite. Mine was a tad dry, and TH was a scorcher the first half of the bowl. It settled down after that, but my tongue was already done for. Other than that, I enjoyed the taste. I will rehydrate and see what happens.

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)

I feel I should have let this tin age before I cracked it. If I read the date stamp correctly, it was tinned weeks before I got it. First few bowls tasted very lemony, sharp but seemed to have potential. I jarred the rest for 2 months.

It didn't seem to change much with a little jar time, goes best in a cob. It's spicy, but sorta reminds me of smoking an old parchment, like a musty scroll from centuries ago, in a good way.

I bet if I put some away for a year it would be magic, as it stands, the jury is out. 2 stars until I try some of this with age on it.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (73)

Another classic Vaper from GLP. Not as much Perique as the tin of Fillmore i just finished. What can i say other than first class virginia's expertly blended with some perique.

Esoxhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Esoxhunter (60)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Excellent--for me ranks up there with Escudo and Haddo's. Plenty of perique and medium complexity. This was great from the first draw. Highly Recommended.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

Pease Pilgrimage Reviews (a tasting journey through every GLPease blend) Tin date: 1/29/10

I'm just going to have to admit that these Pease vapers are not pushing my buttons. They all have that ashy characteristic that feels kind of like licking an ashtray. Don't get me wrong, I know from other reviews of these and other similar tobaccos that this style of smoke is quite appealing to many smokers, but there is just something about them that does not do it for me. Telegraph Hill is the same as the others, just too plain and ashy. I'm attributing it to body chemistry.

But I am not about to give up!

Since all these vapers have been quite dry from the tin I am going to assume that this is how Mr. Pease designed them, so I'm going to continue experimenting with packing and with different pipes. I have been trying these in my star Virginia pipes, but I realize that it may require a different combination.

Union Square is one of my desert island smokes, so I know Pease has the Right Stuff. I'll try these with some age, I'll try packing them a bit tighter, I'll try some other pipes, and I promise I'll update my opinions should they change.

Upon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Upon (13)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Taste of raw fish at ignition. Typical taste of haylike Virginias with an overdose of perique. Works surprisingly well outdoors in extreme weather without losing any of its character. Less interesting indoors but still does its job.

This is a mixed review, so let's talk about the two star rating first. I know that there are lots of folks that love almost anything that Mr. Pease has his hand on. I have smoked the majority of his blends and not all, but the majority are in need of aging. There are simply too many better Vapers on the market. This one is somewhat bland and very straight forward.

The second part of my review is based on a five year old tin of TH. In a word, it was OUTSTANDING! Sweet, tangy, more complex with a steady build of perique throughout the bowl. A four star blend all the way. Like many of his blends, the age seems to be the key and as such I have a lot of TH and other Pease blends in the cellar.

mskywalker2000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mskywalker2000 (11)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is currently my favourite. High quality. Bright Virginia with a hint of peppery Perique to give it more depth. Pretty straightforward.

ProdigalWeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ProdigalWeb (18)

This is another really nice blend. More perique than Stratford and I like that. The only thing I'm finding out is that I like flakes and broken flakes better. Pease has those too, so I'm not out in the cold. This is a really satisfying blend. The tin aroma is heavenly with the Virginias really noticeable. And the spice in the smoke is just about right. Va/perique fans who like ribbon cut tobaccos will love this.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (67)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not bad if one likes Virginian blends. I took this as a break from my usual latakia smoke. Asked for a mild Va with a bit of perique and this is what my tobacconist at Barclay and Rex recommended. If I go for a Va. preferred Solani VA in the yellow tim (flakes) or a McClelland especially the Xmas blend. It is what it is and if one likes a mild Va, then this could be a nice smoke. Will update as I work through the tin...second pipe was better than the first so maybe before I am done, will really like it and have to change the score from a two star.

Update: Starting to enjoy the Va tang as a break from full latakia blends. Changed the recommendation to a 3 star if put into the context of a Va/Perique blend

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)

The tin aroma of the long-cut wide ribbon is dominated by the tang of perique layered over the clean, earthy scents of good quality, natural virginias. Though cut for wide gauge chambers, this performed best when chopped to varying degrees in order to pair with the narrower chambers for which this blend seems suited.

The grain and toast character of gold leaf plays well of the richness of the orange and red varieties. The perique is pronounced, yet not overbearing. There is a nutty richness to the favor that builds throughout the bowl.

Telegraph Hill is rich and flavorsome. It is elegant and refined, and will undoubtedly gain dignity with age. This seemed best in narrow to medium gauge chambers.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Telegraph Hill.06/03/07. In a nutshell,just read the description on the tin! "It's totally correct" Highly recommended.

DrJohnNash Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrJohnNash (9)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I don?t know a thing about G.L. Pease, and I?m not that interested, but this blend seemed to have a very west coast notion on what a virginia/perique blend ought to be-- as others here have said, Telegraph Hill is muted in its flavors, probably somewhat pedestrian, but being pedestrian isn?t that terrible and muted flavors can be a good thing. Not everything has to grab you by the horns-- I think there are other tins in my collection that can wow me every single time I light my pipe. What I mean to say is that this tobacco smokes well and is a fine blend on its own merits. It?s like the Chet Baker of my tobaccos. I don?t always need the Miles Davis of blends to please the palate and the nose. I find it a welcome and relaxing smoke.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)

I have nine of the Dark Lord's blends in my top tier rotation which will say something of what I feel about his work.

Unfortunately, Telegraph Hill is not among those. Clearly, it has everything going for it as far as quality, burning characteristics and so on. I just don't find it all that flavorful. But it might be just my taste in which case, add a star or even two if you like Vaper's.

On the other hand, Mr. Pease has produced what might be the best Vaper anywhere. My suggesstion...Try Fillmore first. You may very well have no need to even try another.

Recommended with reservation.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A halfway smokable VA/Per blend but not the best I've ever had. There are better ones available. Mildly sweet virginia with a peppery tone provided by the perique. Certainly but not something I would go out of my way to purchase again. Rather harsh and unrefined for a Pease blend.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

I could have written Noorrmm's review. Montgomery and now Telegraph Hill, the first of the FCS I have smoked. Both are big yawns. Even with a taste for the subtle, there must be a subtle something there to taste. A year in the tin unopened apparently was not enough to settle this down.

I thought I would love TH because the side stream aroma is delightful and there are a few, very few, moments of life. Yet, it is harsh on the tongue and throat, thin on flavor and just really disappointing. Group 3 to Group 5 pipes were used to discover TH, Smaller was better, as was a most judicious puffing.

The style of this blend is something akin to McClelland Blakeney's Best Acadian Ribbon, though the latter is much tastier, cooler and complex. If you are looking for that experience of swirling luminance of Virginia/Perique blends, such as Three Nuns, Elizabethan Mixture, Solani 633, don't spend your gold Eagles on TH.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

I found my thrill on ?Telegraph? Hill! I have to agree with the comments of several previous reviewers in that you will not be enamored with this blend in the first several puffs, i.e., it is ?slow out of the gate.? However, its flavor evolves and grows in intensity as you progress down the bowl and finishes with a fuller, sweet, nutty and spicy grand finale. Buy a tin of this stuff, age it a year, then get ?wired.?

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 9.89 out of 10.

OPCguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCguy (46)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Telegraph Hill is a mild Vaper...mild sweet Virginia with a mild spice flowing from the Perique...and they do their job handsomely...not best but darn well. This is a good quality smoke but not my bag of tricks...alone. Vapers find their way into my rotation as a supplement and Tele works well in this regard. As a donut is to coffee, orange slices to cigars etc so too is Tele excellent after two Latakia rich bowls back to back. I absolutely melt smoking this stuff after two bowls of Dunhill's Nightcap. Two Nighties and my eyes are a little heavy and my pallet is caked, this is where Telegraph Hill shines for me. After the nightcaps the Vapers penetrate my pallet with a refreshing flavor. My nightcaping smokes consist no longer of just a primarily rich dark Latakia blend but an added VA or Vapor to boot and Telegraph Hill rings my number in this regard...thank you Pease.

Flyboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flyboy (39)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

As a fan of GLP brands,Telegraph Hill was next and 1st of the new Fog City Series. Upon opening the tin(which was less than a month old), one notices quality Va`s are used here. Should be a great smoke! After 2 bowls, what a letdown!! Though it packed and burnt well it was too bland with no highs or lows for this Latakia junkie, so off it went back to the cellar.3 months later...Is this the same tobak? Can`t be. With a little age, the Va`s and perique come together to make a delightful blend that can be smoked all day.Smoked methodically,one notices the different layers that this blend can offer! Very nice! I will cellar plenty.

Devonshire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devonshire (47)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This is the first of Pease's new Fog City series that I've tried. I must confess that I was surprised and a little disappointed that I didn't immediately like it. Pease blends have always been among my favourites and, up until now, I'd never smoked one I did not love. While this blend smokes cool and gives a nice room note, its just too flat for my taste. I wasn't necessarily expecting a full, robust tobacco, but, in my opinion, the blend could stand some more perique spiciness, of the type found in Haddo's Delight. I'll finish off my tin of this and then move on to try other offerings in the Fog City series.