Full VA flake.

BrandStephen Mitchell & Son
Blended ByStephen Mitchell & Son
Strength
Taste
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium to Full
1.7
DrDNA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDNA (58)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Notes: Yes, mine have been old tins acquired on EBay as well. It hasn't been made in quite some time. I admit never having smoked it when it was still produced. I've smoked a few tins of this, however. It doesn't seem to change much from pipe to pipe.

Appearance: A 1" x 2" tightly pressed flake of black and dark brown ribbon with a few red streaks, covered with small crystals.

Aroma: Red wine, steamed Virginia tobacco, smoke, honey, barbeque sauce, tomatoes, chocolate, cherry.

Taste: Smoky! Cooked plums, barbequed meats and corn, a whiff of Tonquin bean.

Comparisons: A traditional Scottish-style blend of cavendished leaf and latakia to my palate, it compares to Sinclair's Barney's Ideal but is stronger and bolder. Reminiscent of Imperial's St. Bruno's but less full and lacking a sour or floral component.

Bottom Line: Not made any more. For those who seek a crossover English-aromatic of the Scottish persuasion with full strength, this is one to try.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (73)

It would be interesting to try a "new" tin of this if such a thing existed.

At our pipe club meeting, the reknowned reviewer before me brought an old tin of this and needless to say, I was watering at the mouth to try it!

The tobacco was in good condition, very dark and had sugar crystals all over it. Rubbing it out I detected no casings or additional flavorings. Brother, this tobacco looked "ripe indeed"!

However, the first fourth of the bowl was hot and bland. After the first fourth bowl the tobacco settled down a bit but never really did much other than provide some va/burley flavor that was "middling" at best. Eh...

Could this tobacco have outlived it's usefulness? Well, I'll never know unless a "less ancient" tin can be found.

Truthfully, I'd much rather smoke ______________ flake than this so don't waste your money on an old tin unless you're into the graphics! This IS a 'graphically cool' tin but the tobacco is maudlin.

5/05...I won a tin of this on Ebay not long ago. The seller's description indicated it was a 30 year old tin and no longer produced. I don't know if that's a fact, but when I popped the tin, the Virginia flakes sure looked dark and well aged, although I couldn't detect any crystalization.

The flakes were on the dry side and rubbed out easily. The pack was fairly easy as the strands were not too long. The burn was rather fast for a flake, but there was no bite. I suspect this would nip were it not for the age of the leaf.

The taste was somewhat subdued and rough around the edges. I don't think the leaf was top-shelf but the aging sure mellowed it out. I wouldn't want to try a fresh tin! Old Gowrie's ugly step-brother is about how I can best describe the flavor. A litte grassy without the Old Gowrie sweetness.

Hey, the tin was sure distinct with the Scottsman in his country's notable garb smiling on the top. In fact, the tin was about the best part of this stuff.