Captain Black Royal is an aromatic black and golden Cavendish, exceptionally mild, and delightfully aromatic.

BrandCaptain Black
Strength
Taste

2.4
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Typically well put together Captain Black blend. Very similar to CB White but with a more refined Vanilla taste that never bit and was always sweet. As fine an aromatic as you'll find anywhere on the market today, Captain Black stayed true to form with Royal.

dm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dm (3)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

My go to bowl lately. Always lights and burns evenly without drama. Tastes good and has a nice mellow room note. My wife loves the smell. One bowl lasts me a good long time and lightens my mood. Mild and no bite or disgusting left over liquid type dregs in the bottom of the bowl either.

huk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huk (1)

Um tabaco agradável de fumar, de fácil queima e não exige muito do cachimbo. O aroma agradou os simpatizantes que deram uma boa nota. Particularmente este tabaco é um dos meus preferidos da Captain Black.

ifarghaly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ifarghaly (13)
Mild Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I enjoyed this blend, it was mellow and quite restrained. It is however very sweet, which is a good thing considering I get am urge to eat sweet stuff during that period. It was my candy, my chocolate and my cake. Light up a bowl and sip it slowly and I get the fulfillment I require. It was the fastest consuming pouch I had.

As with the other Captain Black products, you have to sip it to avoid tongue bite. Unlike most of the other CB mixtures, this actually has a little complexity of taste. A pleasant vanilla presence that's not over the top, with very light honey notes, and dried fruit undertones. An all day smoke that, if you're a black cavendish fan, wears fairly well on your senses during the day so long as you don't puff like a steam engine.

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (26)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

Sweet like all Captain Black products. It was not as overpowering as CBW and I swear there was a tinge of fruit... Like candied fruit. Smoked like other CB products: wet, goopy, hot, yummy. Something still draws my attention to these pouches at CVS. Whether it be the price or reminiscence of my first tobacco experiences, every once in a while I enjoy a pouch of the Captain. Recommend for beginners, and recommended for the occasional flashback.

Pipe Used: Tinder Box Oom Paul, Millard Dublin

Age When Smoked: 2 days

Purchased From: CVS Pharmacy, Victorville, CA, USA

Similar Blends: Captain Black - Gold, Captain Black - Regular.

Wiesehofer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wiesehofer (1)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I Really LOVE this Tobacco, was my first and became my Passion. I've been tasting it whenever possible, and what impresses me is the aroma and flavor in Smoked.

peterpiper111 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peterpiper111 (4)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Wow...Captain Black Royal is very aromatic. The vanilla scent while you are hit with the tasteful notes of the tobacco is extremely pleasing to yourself and everyone around you. If you like CB White, you will LOVE CB Royal!

=edit= I just smoked a huge bowlful of this stuff in my kaywoodie...my god. I sipped on it like wine, it is legitimately the best taste I've ever experienced thus far (23 years old). I have yet to try other brands which I must order (very rural area I live in!)...CB Royal...delicious when smoked correctly!

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie

Age When Smoked: 1 week

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

If the CB White is too strong for you then the blue is your cup of tea. Just Cavendish very mild. Good aroma like the White but lighter. A good blend for a begiiner or someone who needs to go lighter. CB An American Classic you can't go wrong.

Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Last one of these I will review, they had their chance(s) and its time to put the Captn. in the stockades. Dishonorable discharge and on and on.

Pontificating Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pontificating Piper (10)
Mild Medium Mild Very Strong

Like the tin says, it consists of black and gold cavendish of reasonable quality (considering the price). The aroma from the tin is mostly sweet almost like fruit cake with a displeasing sour, chemical undertone. It packs and burns fairly easy, requiring some tamping. The taste is quite bland and chemical leaving behind a sour after taste and the chemical / sulphurous / soapy smell becomes overpowering. It leaves a nasty residue that needs to be scraped off, so don't smoke this in your favourite pipe. Fortunately the tobacconist here got some new Davidoff stock, which at three times the price is far more appealing and fulfilling. I'll not smoke this again even if it means running out of Davidoff for a month or so...

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (26)

I think most reviews and ratings say it all about this blend. It's in the middle of everything. That's not exactly a good thing. It's mediocre. I totally recommend Capt. Black White over this one. But I like this one better than Captain Black Gold. It does stay damp for a long while. Just air it out longer. However, it's dry life isn't that long, so be prepared to smoke it soon or toss whatever goes bad. It does have a little tongue bite, so I guess you should smoke this slowly. Hope this helps.

tomspeed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomspeed (22)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

It's great and best tobacco that i test until this time :) So Nice smell

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)

The Campbell's Soup of pipe tobacco: it ain't particularly great, but it also ain't bad, and it's useful to have some in the cupboard.

I bought a pouch of this and some Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish from a sad and lonely tobacconist in a near-empty shop. I bought it just to buy something. The Borkum Riff was hideous, but this is a pleasant enough smoke. The pouch aromas are all chocolate and vanilla and the tobacco itself is passable--moist, shaggy, black and gold Cavendish. It burns outrageously hot, as expected, but also produces copious amounts of sweet-smelling smoke. The latter stages of the bowl find the Captain getting a little angry and bitter and so I put him out of my misery about two thirds of the way in.

Measured against all of the other quality aromatics out there, this is at best a modest quality smoke and deserves a guarded 2-star recommendation. But I think that if we bring price into the equation, then this merits greater consideration. If the economy continues to slide, I might have to invoke the "Quit or Go Captain" compromise.

So: 2-stars when the bulls are running through the streets; 4-stars when the bear is rummaging through the dumpster.

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (13)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant

exactly the same review as CB regular--Almost exactly the same tobacco.

The impression that I got from a pouch of CB royal is, well, nothing. Very unimpressive. Not great, not terrible, just unremarkable in most ways. Pouch note is positive with vanilla. Room note follows suit. This is as simple as it gets, cheap Cavendish with an overdone artificial topping. You get bored with it after half a bowl. If zombies smoked pipes, this would be their weed. When I get done with a bowl of CB royal my only reaction is "Well, that was pointless"

Royal is the same as regular, Gold is much better, Cherry much worse IMO. I'm done with the Captain.

Similar Blends: CB Regular.

Similar Blends: CBRegular.

Patryk Georgevitch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Patryk Georgevitch (8)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Very nice blend from CB. For a cheaper than other smoke, it does hold to its value. Gives a very pleasant room note, yet the taste is not a disappointment. Smokes well in the bowl, burns at a fairly good temperature, the Cavendish gives a nice sweet smoke alongside some Vanilla aroma.

For a better enjoyment, roll the smoke in the front part of your mouth, around the palate just behind your teeth and on the inside of the lips around the front teeth. If smoked deeper in the mouth, it might generate some pharynx irritation.

Nice blend all in all from CB

hubup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hubup (9)
Overwhelming None Detected Overwhelming Overwhelming

No aroma, hard taste, it burns like hell and bites your tongue. I tried for once and throw away the rest. I went out for a relaxing night, grabbed a bottle of beer and started to smoked this one. First puff and bottoms up... bbrraaahhhh

cloudconnect Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cloudconnect (10)
Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable to Strong

Captain Black Royal is about the only tolerable variety in the line. It still has the characteristic cardboard box flavour of Captain Black's entire line, but has a glimmering element of flavour that is so mild, I can't even offer you a characterization of what it is, but like all Captain Black, it smells good, and has low nicotine. Really expensive incense if you ask me.

1badmotorfinger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1badmotorfinger (4)

As a new pipe smoker I went to a generic tobacco store to try to find something which to try and this is what the owner/clerk recommended. Mind you this is a shop that mainly caters to cigarette smokers. With my limited knowledge and experience I took his word and bought a pouch of this. Got home and loaded a bowl (without any knowledge of the 'proper' techniques) and had a smoke. Subliminally I kept trying to tell myself that this is great and no wonder people love pipe smoking but in reality I was hard-pressed to find much enjoyment in it. While smoking it was OK however the aftertaste was terrible and very chemical in nature. I chocked it up to being a newbie and over the next few days I smoked on several more occasions but was left disappointed, underwhelmed, and wondering if I had wasted my time and money and if I should even consider taking up pipe smoking. After this I decided to look to see if there were a pipe/cigar shop nearby and I found one. I picked up a tin of some GL Pease Virginia (Laurel Heights) and immediately knew that the captain black royal had just been a horrible recommendation and choice. While it's probably not the worst if you're new to pipe smoking you can cut your teeth on this but I recommend picking up some quality tobacco or seeing a tobacconist to discuss and get something worth-while that won't turn you off.

Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I suppose the logic behind my three stars is that I trashed the White original CB and I must admit, I liked this one substantially better than that. It is a marshmallow type sweetness, that I found to be pleasant in my meer.

I did not enjoy it as much in my briar, but it was still bearable. It would probably rate for my tastes in the 2.5 range, but I am bumping it up a bit for availability as it is everywhere. Not a whole lot to say about it as aromatics are not my preferred smoke, but make a tasty treat from time to time. I usually prefer an aro where I taste the underlying leaf, this is not one of those types of aros. But I did not find it to be overwhelmingly sweet like I did the White and Autumn Evening by C & D.

Overall I recommend and, in particular, to the beginner.

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (30)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I do not usually smoke aromatics, but when I do, I want to know I am smoking one. So I do look for flavoring and room note. I like the CB blends more so than other aromatics because they deliver exactly that. Statingt the above, I find this blend a bit less than White or Gold, so I would skip this for the others. Not disappointed, just prefer the other two because they deliver more.

BurleyTwirp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BurleyTwirp (5)
Very Mild Extra Strong Mild Extra Strong

The hypocrisy of certain pipe smokers . . . Most of them will shout far and wide the wonders of Lane's 1Q. I myself hate it. You see, however, that also means that I hate CB Royal. BECAUSE THEY ARE THE SAME EXACT PRODUCT!! Before someone else posts a review saying that they are different, please do your homework and acquire a sample of each. Once you have, the proof will be right in front of you. It's fine if you like 1Q. Just don't be a hypocrite. You also like CB Royal.

Batman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Batman (3)
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Very Pleasant

This was the second tobacco I ever smoked. When it bit the hell out of my tongue and was boring and ashey tasting, I put it down to inexperience. But I came back several times, after success with several other tobaccos, and it still bit my tongue, and tasted like ash and dirt. Needless to say, not my favorite tobacco. I won't be buying any more. I much prefer white and gold to this stuff.

ctyankeepiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ctyankeepiper (13)

I picked up a pouch of this on my way to a Christmas party after my girlfriend grabbed an empty tin of MacBaren Vanilla Cream I had next to a full one. I was a bit leery about this sense I'm not a big fan of Captain in a white pouch, but figured "why not" . Once I got to smoke it I was pleasantly surprised when I lit it. Much different than the white pouch. Had a nice sweet vanilla flavor and a real nice room note that everyone at the party complimented. I'll be adding this to my regular tobacco rotation from now on.

II Stormy II Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
II Stormy II (14)
Medium Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Floor sweep. Threw away 3/4 of a bowl and the rest of the pouch (only pipe tobacco I have thrown away). Best enjoyed when thrown in the trash or left in the store.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)

Captain Black Blue is a "Light" (Light Blue Pouch) version of the Regular (White Pouch) and the Royal (Dark Blue Pouch).

Good, Mild,ideal for begginers, but i prefer the Royal

ConfederatePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ConfederatePipe (3)

Burns slightly on the hot side. Taste is slightly sweet. Flavor is close to the others in this line. I would smoke the white over this package any day.

kaywoodiecanuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaywoodiecanuck (14)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

What can I say, I avoided Captain Black due to reviews and some preconceived prejudices on where it was carried etc. I decided to day to give it a fair shake and I was pleasantly surprised. Touch damp, though it never bit. smelled great in the pouch, smoked some as I drove home, and in the room note (van cabin note?) was great. passed the missus test for room and tin note and tastes great! I would almost give this a 4 star but it is quite damp, a little goopy though I will say this is based on one pouch. I will definitely buy it again and would recommend it to my friends with a drying time disclaimer.

TobaccoMan2012 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoMan2012 (28)

I have tried this tobacco before, but the times I have tried it the pouch was either stale or dry for some reason. When I opened a new pouch of it today I was surprised to find that it was perfectly moist. Also I bought a synthetic tobacco pipe today with a small metal bowl. I wish it was briar though. Maybe not, I learned to like a synthetic pipe for the first time today. Now the strength of the Captain Black Royal was pretty mild, as the flavoring too. It smelled great in my garage and tasted fine in that metal bowl of that pipe. I would recommend this to anyone who likes a rich mild aromatic. But please ask the tobacconist when buying to make sure you get a fresh pouch because when its not fresh and when its dry, it is not any good. Also it lights easily.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very good quality golden Cavendish,mixed with dark, black Cavendish. Highly sweet, full taste, slow burning, not so hot burning... Highly recommended, specially for smokers that enjoy Pure Cavendish Tobaccos. Rassembles Borkun Riff Black Cavendish and Captain Black White, but is more sweet, and better. For me,this is the best Captain Black.The second is the White and after the Gold. Fully Recommend,for the beginners also.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (58)

This pouch was the second of two Captain Blacks I swapped with a friendly American for some St Bruno. This brand is common over the counter tobacco in the States apparently. You can't get in here in the UK unless you order it online.

I liked the White (or Light as it's also known) and the Gold and, assumed this would be a variation of one or both of these.

It isn't.

It's like a big bad evil brother of the aforementioned.

The pouch aroma is promising and similar to the Gold. My oh my was the stuff gooey ? Gooey ? Yep, gooey. Sticky. Sweet and tacky. Like a candyfloss.

Actually it looks and smells like the old sweet tobacco we used to buy as kids back in the 60's and 70's.

A dark brown sweet, sticky, messy and a horror to load. What a disappointment.

The smoke itself isn't that bad but it's a swine to light and keep alight. The obvious conclusion was that this well travelled blend would maybe improve with a drying out.

It didn't.

I couldn't even finish the bowl. It even gave me indigestion. Groo.

If you're in the UK and busting to try CB avoid this one chaps.

JCelsius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JCelsius (5)
Mild Very Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Bought some of this tobacco while I was out and about just to give me something to puff on. Huge mistake. It tasted terrible and left a horrible taste in my mouth for at least ten hours. I would never smoke this again.

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)

I prefer Royal to "White" as I think it has a slightly better taste to it. Burns well, tastes good, smells great and is available almost anywhere.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The codger blends can be somewhat surprising. To this day I maintain that although you can buy Carter Hall and Sir Walter Raleigh at any ho hum gas station they are still quality smokes. This is the reason I picked up Captain Black Royal. Every blend is worth a shot, even the dreaded Captain Blacks. The truth is that among some pipe smoking circles the Captain Black blends are the equivalent to bud light. They are considered a product that is produced for mass quantity and low price point, sacrificing quality for convenience. I find that is not the case. This is not a favorite of mine by any means but, it is not any different than any bulk aromatic you can buy out of a jar on the counter at your local tobacconist.

In the pouch the aroma is beautiful. Toffee and vanilla notes, really makes you hungry. The level of PG is pretty high in this one, and understandably so, for a product that could sit for months next to the hearing aid batteries at some wal greens. The flavor is light, and very non exciting. It is not repulsive, just not amazing. Room note is pretty nice. Overall not bad in a pinch.

The one downfall of this blend is the problem with most low end aromatics. Show me a pipester that can smoke a bowl of this blend right to the heel, all the way through and I will accuse him of black magic. The bottom layer of this blend always becomes a toffee honey cess pool of goopy sludge. Not unexpected. Not a bad blend, not a great blend. In the end, like what you smoke and smoke what you like.

TobaccoOnFire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoOnFire (8)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I alternated between this and Captain Black White like day and night.

I always say this is like the "Dark Side" of Captain Black white its a alot stronger then the white but still mild enough so you could smoke this stuff everyday with no problem.

While Captain black white is a vanilla aromatic this is more of a darker version and i can't quit put my mind on it...I want to say rum but i have no idea what rum taste like...All i can describe of it is its dark like the difference between cream and coffee.

I personally love this stuff and will definately be buying a pouch in my next pickup.

camhock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
camhock (1)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I just started smoking pipes and this was the blend I decided to start out with. I found that it smells delightful, and provides a full, smooth smoke. I've experienced a little bit of bite when smoking it, but nothing too bad. I really like the taste of this and the room note is fantastic, allowing me to air it out without people being disgusted by its presence.

wolfdreamer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolfdreamer (25)

I bought this in bulk at the same time as I got the Captain Black White and both are great. I have to say that I think the White is a bit better but they are both really great blends. I find with the Royal I get a coating in my mouth when I smoke it. It smells stronger than it smokes. I would not hesitate to buy this blend again. Definitely recommended.

CavendishFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CavendishFan (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have always been a fan of Captain Black, I was looking for the Original blend today but could only find the Royal. This is a nice all cavendish blend with a nice room note and flavor. The pouch aroma is very complex; sweet, creamy and earthy with some fruit scents, almost as if they used a nice whiskey for the topping. The tobacco itself has multiple colors of brown, orange and black with a ribbon cut the tobacco itself is quite moist.

In the pipe it pack very well, surprisingly it lights very well too. I thought I would have problems because of how moist it is, but it lit very well and maintained an even burn throughout the entire bowl. Smoking this blend it has a nice aroma that has notes of vanilla, leather, cocoa and sweet spices. I tasted a couple of buttery notes on occasion as well which made it quite interesting. I have heard of having issues with this blend biting, but I had no issues at all and I smoked this in a $20 9mm filter pipe I got from a local smoke shop it was a wonderful experience. The only downside I have is that it smokes pretty wet, but the charcoal filter in my pipe kept things under control.

This is a wonderful blend, I was quite surprised! I see now whatI have been missing with Captain Black Royal all these years. For an all cavendish aromatic, this will definately stay in my rotation.

Betz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Betz (6)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I love, love, LOVE this tobacco! Wonderful taste, smell, flavor, and just strong enough to get me by. A pipe packed with Captain Black Royal and a hazelnut cappuccino makes this pipe enthusiast a very happy man! The best of the Captain Black's in my honest opinion. And for a drug store tobacco, it gives many top shelf blends a good run for their money. I highly recommend this blend.

amirnader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
amirnader (7)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Very nice smell of tobacco when you open the pouch. However the taste was not as good as I expected. It burns with the right temperature. The price is fair and the smoke is enjoyable.

GSTQ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GSTQ (31)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Appearance is a mixed brown ribbon. Pouch smells of vanilla and sugar. Tastes like marshmallow and vanilla.

I haven't smoked this in years, but with the reviews over the last few months I thougt I would try it again. Royal tastes sweet, and your bystanders may like the aroma. It is just over half the price of a tin of a good blend. But there's just not very much for me to enjoy, as it is light in taste and strength, and what taste there is is not satisfying. Royal is not awful, but it is not very good either.

Pipe Puffington Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Puffington (17)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I really enjoy Royal. Not as wet as Captain White. But very similiar in many ways. I Don't get that goopy mess at the end of the bowl with Royal. I highly suggest it if you like aromatics or are just starting out. And I don't think its cheap tobacco at 7-8 bucks a pouch.

Ghostrider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ghostrider (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It's not a bad pipe tobacco but not the best either! Aroma-wise it has a nice smell yet taste-wise you can definitely tell it's your typical "drug store tobacco." The Captain Black "Vanilla" (the white pack) is better tasting in my opinion. Aside from that it's a decent starter tobacco for someone new to pipe smoking.

Bosun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bosun (3)

This is the absolute classic pipe tobacco for the beginner or, in my case, a way to reminisce on the past. My great grandfather smoked this, my father does from time to time, and I knock a few bowls back from time to time. It is a very mild smoke. Depending on how fast you draw it can bite but very quickly cools down.

I understand many people on this forum might not like it because it is an aromatic or that it is just a cheap easy blend to obtain. I give you all this challenge, age this tobacco. I am sitting on some that is 17 years old and is absolutely fantastic!

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

While transferring my reiews here from my notebook, I noticed that I forgot to add this one.

I bought a pouch of this back in 9/06 while on a bird hunting excursion in Northern Michigan. I was out of my go to aromatic Nording's Retriever, so I bought a pouch of this.

I was quite pleased with the vanilla room note and the appearance of quality tobacco. It is wet, and can burn wet, unless dried out a bit. Lighting was easy after the dry time.

For those who are just starting out and looking for an aromatic you can buy in a store locally, this one is a good choice.

kalob cayton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kalob cayton (8)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

this is the only otc tobacco i would ever smoke its very complex and better than the white and the gold has much more flavor and better vanilla casings..........the best of the 3 captain blacks

NedF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NedF (22)
Very Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Same general character, but somewhat less exciting (and less casing) than the White ...and still no tobacco flavour to be found.

Zietho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zietho (4)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Well this made me feel sick. There's something sweet and sour to it that frankly makes me ill. The white is the same. Maybe I am allergic to Cavendish....

Arash Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arash (5)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco leaves an unpleasant sugary taste in your mouth.

cgar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cgar (37)

Well I took a dive and gave 'Americas number one selling tobacco' a try. To my suprise it really was an ok smoke. I found that with a little tampering and giving this old dog a mature sloooow smoke it stayed lit and provided a really nice thick smoke that in hand provided a nice room note. After reading some of the other smokers reviews, I believe its fair to say "to each is own". Overall the Ole Captain' is a decent smoke and with a little extra care can be a good smoke.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Kind of a cross between gold and white. Since Gold is full of sweet virginia flavor and white is all but tasteless, I rate this blend right smack between them. I enjoyed and finished the pouch, but probably wouldn't buy it again.

RC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RC (3)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

One of the first "drug store" blend I tried, it quickly made its way into my rotation, but its been for other peoples enjoyment of it more than mine. I do like the taste but... Sometimes it bites a bit but not too bad, though more than I'd like, just got to be careful with it. Its higher in nicotine than I like, I can taste it more than with some and sometimes it makes me a little jittery so I keep to smoking no more than three a day at most and not consecivly. Its really just a quick easy smoke, as in, I like to throw it in my bag and take it to work to smoke in a small corn cob on my lunch breaks. Its not one I like to sit down with at the end of the night for a long relaxing smoke.

The aroma is unmistakably vanilla and I have only ever gotten compliments about it. I work at a super market and though the designated area for smoking is plenty far from the door and the main flow of traffic, it is directly in front of the handicap parking and we get a lot of complaints from our older customers about the smell of all the people with ciggarets. I'm happy to say I get compliments with this blend (one customer even went to my manager to make a compliment about my choice, brownie points for me :-D), even with some customers stopping to enjoy the aroma for a minute. Older ladies (and some yonger one, if any of you single guys are wondering about the appeal of your pipe to the dating world) have often expressed there enjoyment of this tobacco.

So if you are looking for a good aromatic this is a good choice. Or if you like that nicotine fix. If you want something to sit back and enjoy for hours and relax with I would suggest something ealse. Its likability to other people is why I keep it for the most part. Not the greatest tobac but all in all its not bad.

skyeye Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
skyeye (3)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Hello all, this is my first pipe review, so bear with me.

This is the first tobacco I purchased (I had recived 2 .5 oz bags from a site, but they are not listed on this site).

I bought the 1.5 oz pouch. I was rushed for time, so I wasn't able to browse the entire selection.

As far as smell out of the pouch goes, It is amazing. For some reason I almost detect a faint scent of berries, chochlate, and vanillia. HOWEVER... The chchlate and vanillia are very mild.

As far as how it easy it is to keep lit, I would say pretty easy provided you pack it correctly. I tend to gravity fill, but compress it a bit, more so once it is almost fully filled.

I use a lighter the majority of the time, as it seems to taste better, but it will burn hottor for about 5-10 seconds.

After it is actually lit, it has almost no flavor, and the smoke seems very weak. About 1/4th of the way through it picks up a bit. 1/2 way through with me, it usualy goes out and need to be relit. The bottom 1/4th of the bowl gets stronger, and actually has some flavor. The only problem is most of the time the flavor is rather acrid.

All in all I would probably choose another blend. Possibly captain black -white and cut it with 25% pa to get some nutty burly flavor.

Ok for a first smoke, but do not expect anything spectacular. The best attribute would probably be roomnote.

muntajab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
muntajab (11)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

Captain Black Royal does not taste like usual pipe tobacco, but it has a sweet special taste I like it. I prefer it with carbon filters as it is wet. Room note is lovely.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The best cased pouch aroma I have encountered.

I smoked this a lot during my first 3-4 years as a pipe smoker. It didn't taste like much, lacked nicotine, but people LOVED the room note.

It wouldn't smoke dry either...

Enough said.

CD Primal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CD Primal (6)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

I am writing this review several months after smoking this, but I thought it was time anyway. The best thing about this tobacco, and the other Captain Blacks, is the widespread availability. It is not what I would choose to smoke, but it was all I could find in Baghdad in a pinch (McC and GLP have not hit the Iraqi economy yet). It got me through a couple of weeks while I waited for more preferable blends to arrive by mail. This along, with the others, is the .30-06 of tobaccos, you can find it literally anywhere. Its smooth enough and aromatic enough (if you care about your company's opinion), but flat flavored. Better than nothing.

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (32)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This blend smells great smoked, or unsmoked, tastes great but burns hot be careful ! vanilla vanilla!

Zev Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zev (5)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

A good starter blend, but not something one should stick with in the long run. Have only smoked this with a filter pipe and while the blend does work in a pinch, it is not something I would care to revisit.

happy jack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
happy jack (25)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Boring, the captian is over rated, there is some realy good bulk tobacco out there, for such a resonable price. I suggest smokers pride bc, or an upgrade to a McClelland, or Sutliff private stock, "Navigator blend", realy good stuff

tpatriarche Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tpatriarche (23)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Whoever designed the packaging for Captain Black (in Canada at any rate) needs a lesson in basic marketing. The pouches have no indication of the type or content of the blend (in fairness, and looking at the picture, it is probably covered up by the Canadian mandatory health warning message), and the colours are downright confusing. Who would have thought that the White package is heavy on black cavendish, while the dark blue Royal is lighter? [End of Rant].

Despite the name, I consider this a poor cousin to the famous White package. It has quite a lot of Black Cavendish by appearance, but it is less rich than the White. The vanilla flavour is much less predominant but the overall effect has less character. The cut is a little coarser, which makes it less susceptible to over-tamping (good). As a "drugstore" Cavendish, this is just fine by me, but it doesn't deserve the name "Royal". I would have no hesitation in buying another pouch at 11:00 PM if nothing else were available, and I would recommend it for beginning smokers, but.... What else can I say except "but..."?

Kathos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kathos (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

As this is my first review I thought it would be prudent to review my first tobacco, CB Royal.

I probably would have chosen a different brand for my first, but as I found my self in Central Asia at the time and "good" tobacco was somewhat scarce I found my self drawn to the ever available Captain Black. I picked the Royal blend solely by chance and after consuming about half of the packet I went back to purchase the CB White as well (review will be added under CB White).

CB Royal has a tremendous smell as one opens the package, somewhat subtle chocolate, it is intriguing if one enjoys aromatics. It did seem a bit on the wet side though. After crumbling the tobacco for a few seconds the most moist seemed to vanish and the easy to handle tobacco was ready for packing.

While packing CB Royal the sweet scent entices for lighting up this chocolate delight.

Smoking CB Royal is somewhat of a letdown. The initial few minutes are quite delightful, but after a while it seems to smoke rather hot if one does not stay within the speed limit (I smoke rather slow as it is but doesn't seem slow enough) and halfway through a bowl of this two faced tobacco the tongue bite kicks in and the fun and games are over. At this point the sweet taste also seems to perform a vanishing act and one is left with a tongue crying for something soothing, but a room note the rest of your party can enjoy.

After having tried several other tobaccos since first trying CB Royal I can see this easily available tobacco for what it is. A good first time tobacco (it kept me going and wanting more) that also will do in a pinch or for myself when I feel nostalgic, but not a saturday afternoon by the fire place tobacco.

Kissphantom05 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kissphantom05 (20)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Like most Captain Black blends, this is cheap and very easy to find. It is sweeter than the White blend, so I tend to smoke this when looking for a budgeted aromatic or when I am trying to turn someone else on to pipe smoking. I have no trouble with this tobacco as long as I smoke it slowly.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I like this tobacco because it's easy to find and cheap. That said, don't expect too much. It burns quite hot and seems to lose it's flavor. Hard to keep lit, and when you finally manage the result is only mediocre.

Not too bad for beginners.

Piper4ever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper4ever (11)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my second favorite Captain Black tobacco, after the famous "White", this blend is another weak C.B. with mild strength and flavor, although is in some way better than the Cherry version of the captains having a light and convenient vanilla aroma. Be very careful at the end of the bowl with the taste, becomes ugly and is going to burn your tongue if the speed limit is exceeded. Try it, but keep your expectations on a mid level.

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

You will want to like this stuff. You can buy it just about anywhere. The smell in the pouch is awesome. It looks nice: ribbon-cut shreds of golden and dark browns. Packs well, but easy to pack too tight. The initial light up is heavenly. Tastes nice. The room note? Most aromatics don't even come close. Big billows of sweet smoke.* But then...

This stuff is a chore to keep lit - it is so moist, probably full of propylene glycol to give it a longer shelf-life, as this stuff can end up sitting on drugstore shelves for months or years. Even in an opened, loosely rolled-up pouch, this stuff stays overly moist for months. Smoke it less than a third of the way into the bowl, and your pipe becomes almost too hot to hold. More than very light, air-filled puffs will get you a harsh bite on the tongue. But if you don't puff hard, it'll go out. A no-win Catch-22.

The last third of the bowl tastes foul, and if you want to smoke though to the end you will use up many matches and risk scorching your briar, not to mention your tongue, until the goopey mess at the bottom just won't stay lit at all.

* If you want a blend with all of the positives mentioned and avoid the negatives, try Lane's bulk 1Q instead (it is usually drier, fresher, and more manageable, without the goopey mess at the end).

The Persian Slipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Persian Slipper (29)

I love this blend of Captain Black! It takes me back to the days when I visited my grandfather and he smoked CB Royal out of an old Dr. Grabow or a corn cob. The smell not only brings back my memories, I have had countless people come to me and say that it reminds them of some sentimental time in their life, and generally of a special person who is long past now. But, nostalgia aside, the blend is a fine aromatic. I love the casing flavor that isn't too overbearing. The ribbon cut baccky is easy to load into any guage pipe and is just as easy to light. There is very little tounge bite, but if you just treat it in a casually easy way, then it will treat you well. I find that this is best when I want to have a break from my normal smoke: Sultan's Blend. Highly recomended to any pipe smoker.

sanalp125 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sanalp125 (1)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

My Smoking experience began about a year ago... i started off with cigs and now ive moved to pipes. to give you a context of this review ive been smoking pipe for a couple days. And as you can tell, im not very experienced in the field. but as a beginner i enjoyed this smoke very much. its not bad... and i have smoked some terrible tobacco in general and i wouldnt say this is terrible. its a decent smoke. ok so bad things...there is tongue bite, little flavor, and unless packed lightly, there will be constant relighting. the good... its an good smoke for mutlitaskers who just wanna puff on a pipe while doing other things and the first few puffs has a WONDERFUL flavor but then the flavor quickly disappears and its kinda tasteless... its very relaxing but i think pipe smoking in general is relaxing soo yeah. thanks for reading and remember... im new at this and havent really compaired it to other pipe tobaccos

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (41)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I can't find anything wrong with it. It doesn't excite me greatly. It doesn't seem to misbehave, but it will ghost the hell out of a pipe. Not a biter, not a bad gurgler if you smoke at a reasonable pace, and it doesn't smell bad at all. In fact I was stopped 3 times in one block's distance last week by women who told me that the smell made them think either of their grandfather or father. Not a bad thing I guess, except I am only 36. I may not keep a large quantity on hand, but it is an open option for me when i want an easy going, care free puffer.

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (41)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I think this is a low grade form of Lane's 1Q. 1Q is a great aromatic. This one is not, It is a wet smoke that takes on the taste of cabbage. I left it out in the air for a week and it did not dry out. This is funcky, junky wet and just plain nasty.

I have come to the realisation that the Captain is not such a bad fellow when you get to know him, so I will refrain from any more wisecracks about throwing him overboard (oops, I said it again!) I pulled this version out of the drawer where it had been sitting for a year, and honestly, it was pretty good. I almost finished the pipe, but all the Captain Blacks seem to get a little rough at the end. Not my favorite style, but I revisit it from time to time. It will never be a constant companion.

8-29-12 Good Lord, this stuff is just 1Q! Just smoked back-to-back bowls. I'm going to mix my jars, then, to free up a jar for something else!

Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I was doing a different review while I smoked this. My first thoughts were 'this is going to be another tasteless tobacco that will end up in my mixing box'. The tobacco was very dry when I opened the pouch and there was little to no smell to be found in it.

Half way through the bowl things started to change. Suddenly there were hints of vanilla and it got sweeter. Now having finished the bowl there is a pleasant taste on my tognue and in my nose. Actually at the half way point the entire experience got rather pleasant. Unlike others that complained the mix was too moist mine was very dry. Moisture levels may be the key here.

Like with any new blend I try I smoked this out of a new cob. You have to give a tobacco a real chance that way without ghosting it with your regular pipe. I have hopes of it storing well in jars and will purchase more to find out.

Old Northern Smoky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Northern Smoky (33)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A nice aromatic blend that lights easily, burns to the end providing you pack the bowl right and leaves the room nicely fragrant. This is my favorite aromatic which I could smoke all day long, but if you're the type to rush through a bowl-full be warned that this blend will burn very hot.....so hot that you can't hold onto the bowl and your tongue will make a horrid trip to hell.

This is a fine smoke for when I want to just laze on the swing with a cup of coffee while gently taking little puffs from the pipe. You'll be rewarded with a nice, relaxing time. My wife, a first-time pipe smoker, really enjoys this blend.

Newbies should enjoy CB Royal providing they're not in a rush.

PipenGuitar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipenGuitar (15)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I would say the white blend is a little better than this one. This blend smokes a little hotter in my experience than the white blend. And it doesn't smell as good. 2 stars because I would recommend a higher quality aromatic from McClelland or Boswells.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

Not much difference between this and Captain Black White.

I smoked lots of pouches of this when I was a beginner and now I am sorry that I spend that time smoking it.

agentlemanfromindiana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
agentlemanfromindiana (18)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I'm not a big fan of drugstore blends to begin with, but I just don't care too much for this one. The first pipe tobacco I smoked was Captain Black White, and since then I have tried plenty of different kinds of tobaccos, and I just don't like this one a bit. Very mild, almost stale in taste, what flavor it has is very very soapy. I would only recommend this to a newb pipe smoker who is just feeling around for their taste.

Ghost1974 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ghost1974 (10)

I prefer the White over the Royal when comparing the Captain Black blends, but I do purchase this once or twice a year when the mood strikes me.

I find it packs better than the White, but drying out beforehand is an absolute must in my experience. It can be too moist out of the pouch. I definitely recommend it, and as it has been said many times before it "could" be a good beginners blend. Although I would make that recommendation on it being both tremendously easy to find, and fairly mild for those of us who never smoked anything before trying a pipe.

newmission Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
newmission (14)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Being raised on Dunhill 965 and Early Morning I always felt that drug store tobac was just junk and never even considered it. After picking up the pipe again after a few years my wife turned up her nose at the old english's and some of the Bright Virginia's. I kept hearing about how much she liked her Grampa's pipe smell. She broke me and I went to the local drug store for a couple pouches. CB white, CB Gold, CB Blue and some cherry junk that did not get past one bowl. The CB's were tolerable and the blue seemed to be the easiest to stomach. After a few months of smoking the blue as a staple I have gotten used to the sticky, goo'ey sweetness. Its actually really good after a middle-eastern meal with a cup of turkish coffee or some Cardomom Tea. Good to let it air out a bit.. it seems to smoke much dryer in the pipe. I would suggest that you dedicate one pipe to this aromatic as the taste stays in the pipe forever. Dont kick this one to the curb just because its an American Drug store Tobac. Still love a late evening Kendall Cream, GL Pease Cumberland or a stout English. If you really want to give it a punch... use a Zippo to light it... Really creates an interesting flavor.

Arrostos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arrostos (7)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Chemicals, sour taste and endless moisture. These are the main characteristics of Royal, but its flavoring and room note helps a lot to keep me calm.

Dr. Grabow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Grabow (4)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I need to start by saying that I recommend all pipe tobacco because I feel everyone is different with different tastes. "To each his/her own".

With that I will be short in my review. The room note is friendly to all and many will compliment your hobby. I found the tobacco to be too moist right out of the package. This I found puts stress on the smoker to either puff fast causing tongue bit and a hot bowl or lite and relite. The first half of the bowl smokes very tasty but then the tobacco turns and leaves a sour taste to the sides of your tongue. Whether you smoke the bowl all the way down or leave it half smoked your left with an odd sour tasting mouth that stays with you for the day. For me, I'm not a fan of that with my tobacco. I will leave this one behind.

suicune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
suicune (23)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Captain Black Royal is the second Captain Black blend I've smoked, after the Regular (or White). Like the first one, this also has a Vanilla flavor and it's also a little sweet. It smokes quite long and doesn't bite the tongue if smoked slowly. And the other thing that I like at this is that, like all Captain Blacks, it is easy to find. Recommended for all smokers, especially the beginner ones.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (71)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I prefer the white(which i smoke all day)i find this one is much milder and lacks flavour/body. Other than that its an honest to goodness smoke with out the sweetness of the white.

Bentley Cavendish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bentley Cavendish (4)

As a newbie to pipe smoking my review is meant for newbies, not for seasoned enthusiasts.

This was the third tobac I tried, after Admiral's Choice, which I don't much recommend, and Captain Black's White, which I do recommend somewhat, but it tends to be a bit "rich" if smoked continually. Captain Black's Royal, on the other hand, I have found to be extremely pleasant to smoke and garners compliments from those around me. It can be found at Rite Aid drugstores in the USA, but not CVS which only seems to carry Captain Black's White or the Gold.

As with the Captain Black White, there are subtle differences between what's in the packet and the tin, primarily moisture content. The tin, which is more moist, yields a consistently nice smoke, so I just let the tobac dry out a bit before filling the pipe; problem pretty much solved. It does tend to burn "hot" as others have said, but I find that to be no big deal. Also, at about the 3/4 way down the bowl I find that it gets a bit soggy and reluctant to take a light. I may simply need to let the tobac air out a bit longer. I did notice that the tobac out of the packet burned more consistently to the bottom of the bowl than that of the tin.

It tastes great and isn't nearly as "sweet" tasting as the White. Don't get me wrong, I do like the White, but it can be overpowering (like eating too much ice cream or chocolate) if I smoke it continually. The Royal I find I can smoke over and over without complaint. Certainly there are probably better blends out there (without the issue of "additives") and I'll get to those in time, but for now I'm very satisfied with the performance and the flavor of Captain Black Royal. I would recommend it (strongly) to anyone starting out. A corn cob pipe costs about $6 and a packet of Royal runs about $8 (the 12 oz tin will save you a chunk of money in the long run, so if you get through your first packet itching for more make the investment in a tin).

It smells marvelous and that's not just me talking -- friends also enjoy the aroma. Until I find a blend from a tobacco shop that surpasses Captain Black Royal, it will be a staple in my home selection. It's unpretentious, economical, and fine for a beginner like me.

If you are just starting out like I did, I recommend Captain Black Royal over the White unless you happen to really dig the "roasted marshmallow" flavor of the White over the flavor (or "flavorings") of the Royal. Both are good to me; I just prefer the Royal. The rest is up to your own taste buds.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)
Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Lane 1-Q with add humectant. Not something I will smoke twice.

CaptinBlackLung Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptinBlackLung (5)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Strong

If you don't have a good source of tobacco this is your smoke... inexpensive and tollerable, the best of the Capt. Black blends in my opinion.. If you let it dry out it can be an ok smoke... however with all the aditives don't inhale and do not ruin a good bowl with this one.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

the second in the line after the white blend to my rating. heavily cased tobacco however it might be translated into a sweet taste and wonderful aroma to your surrounding if smoked carefully. might get gooey at times but letting the tobacco breath in the pouch might solve that problem.

mortal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mortal (3)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Syrup anyone?That's what will be left in your pipe after smoking this stuff.That aside,it does have a very nice room note and I like the toasted marshmallow taste.It's like smoking candy.There is not a lot of kick to this wonderful smelling stuff either and keeping it lit was a chore.If it burnt well and more cleanly and had a little kick to it,it would be a really good smoke. Nov 24/2008 I just had to update my review a little.I've come to realize that despite it's warts that perhaps I've been a bit unfair to the captain.There is no other tobacco that tastes as good or smells as good as this one and as a cigarette smoker I suppose nicotine punch may come over time.If packed properly one can avoid too much syrup and too much relighting so I will give the captain another star.

SpanishSmoker1978 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpanishSmoker1978 (4)
Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I have been smoking this blend alot more these days do to my budget and must travel from my small town to the city in order to purchase a house blend.I have found that Royal makes alittle more sense in taste and it's unique flavor the more I smoke it.I must confess that it taste a hell of alot better than some of your so called premium blends you pay out of your yinyang for.Bite!!! what bite I puff slow and easy so I do not get a bite most often.In fact Mac Baren even when puffed slow has been one of the only tobacco blends I cannot control and taste like crap and always seems to bite me.I here talk of this and that about how Captain Black is over the counter crap but that's just it, the quality is based on were you can buy it at.Now half and half ok you got me there that stuff is pure crap scrap tobacco.Captain Black Royal is a great blend I enjoy very much great for the beginner and for refined pipe smokers alike.I would say change the recommendation from somewhat to just straight recommended.I taste all it claims to deliver while smoking INCLUDING the tobacco were others have said they just taste chemical vanilla(cut the crap common now)that is total bullsh*t. Captain Black Gold is ok and the white pouch I don't touch to be honest and light is just to light etc. ect. With the moisture issue that is a no brainer just let it sit open for awhile then go at it if it bothers you that bad or maybe buy a better pipe and lose the McDonalds briar bowls.You could buy the world's greatest pipe tobacco known to mankind and smoke it in a piece of crap pipe and it wil taste as cheap as your pipe.So for some of you put your noses back down and stop talkin crap about a great all american pipe tobacco that has stood the test of time were some of you smoke blends that smell like a fireplace with alittle burnt spice LMAO! CB Royal is 4 stars and has earned it.BEGINNERS GO GET IT YOU WILL LOVE IT...and even when you continue to change in your taste buds as time goes on YOU WILL ALWAYS RETURN BACK TO THE ROYAL. TAKE CARE YALL -Christopher Smokin since 1996 thanks to my father being a pipe smoker and allowing me to start at such a young but perfect age THANKS DAD!!!(yes I am only 30 now)but have tasted hundreds of different blends from around the whole world and have a pipe collection of about 350 pieces plus with a few estate pipes being restored at this very moment and will keep on collecting and keep on smoking till the day I die of old age. Share your pipe culture with your children and keep the tradition alive AND MAKE SHURE TO Leave YOUR TOBACCO TREASURES IN YOUR WILL TO YOUR KIDS DAMMIT!!!and not end up at a garage sale.Just sad SO so Sad... NOTE TO BEGINNERS: I have found over the years also that house made blends at tobacco shops blend pipe tobacco's far better than mass produced tobacco's of ALL TYPES just because it's in a tin or says made in england or france does not mean crap.When using this site just look around abit read alittle of this and that learn your types of tobacco's above all because knowing were they come from and how there cured helps a great deal and go test your taste bud's.Make shure you purchase good quality briar pipes unless you like other makes cause your pipe plays a HUGE part in how your tobacco will taste and smoke. As my father always said opinions are like ASSHOLES everyone has one (even me)...

Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Checking the reviews on this blend, I realize I haven`t done my bit on this variant of Captain Black. I still stand by the contention that Captain Black White is the best of the lot. This one, however, comes a close second. I find it richer and more flavorsome than gold, and rather more complex than red, but not as good as White.

In a way Captain Black Royal is a more refined rendering of the chunky White version, with a stronger casing agent, and a more defined aromatic structure. It also comes with a higher degree of moisture. It definitely is more syrupy and oily than the original White, but it also produces a pervading room note that, indeed, many non smokers find at least tolerable, when not pleasant. Chocolate, vanilla, some caramel, all very chemically Cavendish in the sweetest sense of the term.

In my view, Royal easily becomes a cloying smoke (unlike its White and Gold siblings), and does tend to affect the burning qualities of a briar. So a pipe devoted only to aromatics is highly recommended when smoking this blend. Similar tobaccos, but far less aggressive in the sweetness and goopy departments would be 1Q and MacBaren's Original Choice, the latter probably being the better choice.

All in all, a good indoor-social smoke, suitable for both beginners and those established pipe smokers tolerant of aromatics, but, in my opinion, only once in a blue moon.

PS: Is there any difference between Blue and Royal (whic comes in navy blue pouch)? Just wondering...

Black Cavendish, wet and syrupy, pouch aroma sweet vanilla and chocolate, the smoke taste exactly the same as the pouch aroma, hot, wet, sweet, mild and soft.

Pros: Worldwide available , cheap and consistent quality, this tobacco is the king for the social smoke, the room note is amazingly attractive and positive for none smokers, forgivable by anti smokers militant, the vanilla/chocolate tastes is highly apreciated by new pipe smokers.

Cons: highly syrupy smoke, will leave your briar oily and wet for few weeks, the flavoring is chemical and will stay in your pipe4ever ( ). The pleasure of vanilla/chocolate smoking taste and smell is highly affected by the diminishing return effect (the more you smoke it the less you enjoy it.).

Royal is the best of captain black series and was my first pipe tobacco. Highly recommended for a new pipe smoker.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium to Strong Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I am writing it exactly as I read it.

Captain Black = Marlboro = Coca Cola = Mac Donald

Regardless what you hear, it is true that it is difficult to find the aroma of this tobacco filling the room in another tobacco.

Spiffytexan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spiffytexan (3)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

The only way to detect any flavor in this blend is to smoke it hot and fast, disregarding the bite. The aroma is weak, not bad, but not particularly pleasant. Go for the white blend if anything. It is cheaper, and better.

Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Black Cavendish, wet and syrupy, pouch aroma sweet vanilla and chocolate, the smoke taste exactly the same as the pouch aroma, Mild and soft.

Pros: Available worldwide, cheap with consistent quality, this tobacco is the king for the social smoke, the room note is amazingly attractive and positive for none smokers, forgivable by anti smokers militant, the vanilla/chocolate tastes good especially for a beginner.

DerMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DerMann (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

One of my first tobaccos.

Widely available and generally a pleasing smoke.

Hard as heck to keep lit, and it does leave syrup in you bowl.

Lots of people stopped me and told me that my smoke smelled very good, though. Really surprised me.

Silver Spigot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Silver Spigot (18)
Medium Extra Strong Full Very Pleasant

Vanilla! This is a very sweet blend. The greatest pleasure is olfactory...the aroma is magnificent! A top choice for the devotee of aromatics.

Auroraboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auroraboy (22)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This was the very first pipe tobacco I purchased upon taking up the briar. I smoked it in a Missouri Meerschaum, and had a good deal of trouble keeping it lit right off the bat. It comes pretty moist in the pouch, syrup-sticky with the casing. Am I the only one that found the odor in the pouch to be way too artificial, like a bottle of fake marshmallow scent? Really cloying, but leaving it open for a few days really helped. It smoked okay overall, with the taste only getting really nasty toward the bottom of the bowl. Heavy-duty goop, gnarly pipe cleaners, and piles of spent matches made this one too tough for a beginner. I'd send beginners straight to Carter Hall.

I'm tempted to revisit this (or the White) now with a little more experience. I'd smoke this in a cob or a seriously dedicated briar, though.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco is essentially Lane 1Q in a can. I will have to say that 1Q is the number one selling bulk tobacco for a reason. It has a very pronounced pouch note. When looking in you will see a lot of golden brown Cavendish leaves mixed in with a few black Cavendish as well. The tobacco burns very well and leaves the most pleasant aroma. The tobacco does leave a fair bit of crud in the bottom of your pipe and will foul the pipe if smoked too much, but is a very nice social smoke. As far as taste, there is very little "real tobacco" taste here. There is some vanilla and earthy notes but mostly a warm toasty vanilla. The blend does not bite and will not leave you dizzy from nicotine, but will leave you wanting for more tobacco flavor. Overall this blend must be judged in proper context, and appreciated as much for what it will do for the people around you as for you. If you want to please yourself as much as those around you add 25% latakia to the mix, surprisingly it works VERY well.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

When I lived in the US, this was one of my favourites, "Never a bite in the bowl" went the advert, being careful not to mention "Tongue", Royal along with Light was all I could get my grubby little hands on at the time, apart from Half & Half, which I tried a couple of times and therefore knew enough to steer well clear of it. On returning to England I smoked Gold Block for a while and a couple of years later someone sent me a drum of CB Royal which I eagerly opened, either my taste had changed or CB Royal had because I was unable to finish it, in fact 18 years later I still have the damn thing. It may take a pouch or two to get used to, it's not the best tobacco in the world by a long chalk, but there is worse...... I warn you....... CLAN!!!!!

bigpipe61 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigpipe61 (6)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

This pipe tobacco has a longstanding history in my area as one of the classic smokes that the old men like to smoke. I was relatively new to smoking when I first tried this stuff and the first impression was not too great. The casings in this blend were hard for me to pick out, but they definately muddied together and overpowered the taste of the tobacco itself. It was almost sickeningly sweet. I have since found that I am more partial to English blends and pure burleys. This tobacco may be fine for those who like heavily aromatic tobaccos but I would recomend letting it dry out a bit in the pouch before diving in, as the sweetness and stickiness both mellow out with time.

SpanishSmoker1978 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpanishSmoker1978 (4)

For those who say Capt.Black is a bad smoke I would say No! For a all American smoke cheap and a great smoke all and all some say thoe "it bites" and I say "stop puffing so hard" because nomatter what you smoke, if you do not smoke the pipe right, all tobacco will bite, if you do not keep the pipe clean, it will bite. I will stand up for Capt.Black Blue because it is a great smoke for the first timer or old school like myself.I have tried many types of tobaccos from all around the world and I keep coming back to this for a all day smoke.Hot puffers are just that and have a hard time with control of the pipe.Do not puff any pipe tobacco hot and you will be ok.There are tobaccos that are straight gross but Capt.Black Blue is not. (GO FOR IT FIRST TIMERS ITS GOOD STUFF)!

Illinois Hick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Illinois Hick (6)
Extremely Mild Strong Very Mild Overwhelming

For all my fellow recent converts to the art and joy of tobacco smoking, know this:

Captain Black tastes like it smells for about 3-5 puffs, and then the taste of chemicals kicks in. If you end up sticking with and liking this blend, more power to you. The point of smoking is to enjoy. But if you have never tried anything else (this was my first pipe tobacco) you owe it to yourself to try some good non-aromatics, whether American or English.

Oh yeah, the tongue bite is brutal.

Yitzach Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Yitzach (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

It bites an awful lot more then the Captain Black White.. however, I recently tried an Aged Maduro Cavendish, and it was extremely mild and sweet compared to the Royal. It also bit a heck of a lot less. I am having a very difficult time wanting to pack a bowl of Capt. Black after sampling something milder and sweeter. I pack it tight and it stays fairly well lit. But the bite after about a third of the bowl is just not fun.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Same basic thing as Capt.White with less. Less taste and less sweet and less satisfying. This is another that was better 30 years ago. What Happened? A good blend gone bad.

adamfasoli Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
adamfasoli (8)
Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

This was the first pouch I ever picked up and it was definitely a good way to start out. The pouch smell and room note are great and it has a mild tobacco strength. My biggest problem is the gloppy dottle at the end of the bowl. Although it smokes very well at first, the quality noticeably diminishes toward the bottom. All in all, I found it to be enjoyable and would definitely purchase it again, especially given its inexpensiveness.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)

NICE (best of the captain series) but RARE (haven't seen it around for two years now) :-(

Dan, Cordoba Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dan, Cordoba Man (9)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Well, just checking out the local variety which amounts to about 8 to 10. We have no tobacconist in our area, so you have to know what's available local for when you run out of good stuff. This is one of the best I've had from a supermarket/variety. The room note gets lots of compliments, and the taste matches... almost. It is very gummy at the bottom and is not the best at staying lit, but it's a good one to remember if you must.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Yet another drug-store aromatic, sopping wet and guaranteed to linger in your pipe. No can do!

Than Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Than (14)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

The best of the Drug Store Blends. It's cheap but very smokable. I always have a pouch onhand, just in case all else fails. It is not among the tobacco elite, but is a servicible change of pace.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)

OK, so the majority of our members think this stuff is the pits, but as a smoke-it if you gotta, this stuff ain't all that bad. I prefer the Royal over the other Captain Black offerings. If packed properly, it's pretty mild, with almost no bite. I smoke this when I get too burned out on the expensive blends. Now I have a question for our users. Has anyone ordered any of the pipes offered on the inside of the Captain Black pouches?

10/26/07 After visiting several drug stores this morning, and not finding anything worth smoking at 6:00am, I finally found myself in a very busy CVS Drugstore. The place was packed with people. I weaseled my way over to where I could see what they carried for the Pipe behind the counter. Plenty of stuff for the roll your own crowd, but not much in the way of pipe tobacco. Suddenly behind a large plastic box of overstocked stuff, I noticed some Captain Black - in Royal and White. Back home, I have some of this stuff, the Royal variety, well over a year in age from the date of purchase. Well I bought a pouch of the stuff, Less than $5.00 mind you. On opening the package, I was rewarded with a sweet plum-like smell. The tobacco was moist, but not overly so. I slowly loaded up my Italian Milano and fired it up. It was Heavenly. I don't know why I like this stuff, but dang-it, I really do, when it's fresh...

11/28/07 OK, I've played with this stuff, and I've figured out how to smoke it. Gravity fill the bowl, and very lightly tamp the product. The more loosely you pack this stuff, the better it performs. I've tried the Frank Method vs this loosely packed method, and loosely packed is the answer.

Sparky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sparky (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I just began smoking a pipe again a couple months ago. Of course, my pipe collection was packed away and It was decided on a whim. So I trucked over to the local drug store across the street, picked myself up a Grabow and a pouch of Capt. Black.

For those who say this is a good starter tobacco.... Not a chance. This was a horrible way to get back into it, and save for knowing that there are better options at one of my local smoke shops, it may have scared me away from coming back all together.

The room note is great, there is no denying that. Anyone within snouts distance is gonna love this. However, that is where the positives end. I found the taste, from what I could gather over the tounge bite to be boring. There is not much to this and unless you are willing to suffer through a bitter pain on your lolly pop licker, not worth it at all.

If this stuff worked in a potpouri burner... I might keep some around. Otherwise... even in a jam, Ill suffer without smoking.

DrY11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrY11 (39)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

UPDATE (NOV15 2007)

Well, I refrain from opening that second pouch that I had bought. The reason is simple:

The original pouch was unfinished when I tried Dunhill (965 and EMP). Ever since, I cannot really tolerate bland blends.

So I am taking a star away.

But, recognising the fact that on occasions I will need something with a pleasant room note, I will still try to get my hands on the american versions of CB white and CB gold before I decide which one of the three will undertake this duty. It is still quite likely that CB Royal will be the eventual winner... (an outsider being Amphora Red). Of course, WO Larsen Signature might be appropriate but it is expensive and only comes in 100g tins around here - thus making it difficult to have this just as a standby...

INITIAL (MAY07 2007)

I finally got my hands on it! The American Version too - not the European.

It seems like a good choice when you are around people. It is heavily cased but does not give too much of a tongue bite. It tends to burn hot and wet-ish. I am frequently tempted to inhale through the nose - as I like the smell. Overall though, I do not reach too often for this - as I find the taste quite bland.

One thing is certain: if I could only secure a significant quantity to just have around always I would.

Also, guess what: I bought this in Russia and the price, after taxes and duties, was extremely reasonable less than 5 Euro per 1oz pouch (roughly 6,3Euro per 50g pouch or 45% of the price of the overpriced European version...

The Irish Apologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Irish Apologist (5)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Ok, of all the Captain Blacks around, this one is my favourite. The room note is great and the taste is.....well, "alright."

I have no idea why I like this one and cannot really explain it. This can be smoked all day and from time to time I do just that. (Although I'd break out a corn cob or clay for this one)

I have an old Dr. Grabow Grand Duke that I use for smoking this (one of the first pipes I ever purchased)

Overall, pretty good for the drugstore blends and cost...

renoguard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renoguard (17)

I like this when I am in the mood, but it is NOTHING compaed to the original WHITE. I know, it's a drugstore blend, But I like it and it is one of the ONLY drugstore lines I will smoke, so far.

If you don't like sweet aromatics, Then don't waste your time or money. If you do, well you probably already have smoked it.

Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

Light and tasty. I don't smoke this very often,as it will get cloying. I enjoy this in an old fashioned clay pipe. It seems to help keep the smoke cool and eliminate the abundant moisture of this blend.When I put it away for a while, it does a stupendous job of freshening up my handkerchief drawer. My wife loves the smell of course. On a negative note, the price has gone up considerably in my area. A very friendly tobacco.

Tobacco Saves Lives Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco Saves Lives (31)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

Why so hard on the captain? Its a great bargain. It likely would not satisfy the serious smoker, but the occasional, holiday smoker wouldnt miss the low nicotene and it in fact has a very good taste. I would smoke it daily, but it is unilateral, not complex and can be boring-but has a great, simple taste!!

Chris08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chris08 (37)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

I haven't smoked this in years, so this review comes from memory, but I recall this as being a more plastic tasting version of Captain Black. Smokes wet, no tobacco flavour and lacks Captain Black White's two salvations: Availability and over the top Great Room Note!

If I were offered a pipe of this and there was no other tobacco available I may try it again, but I certainly wouldn't pay for it. Also, it's hardly worth gooping up a perfectly good pipe for.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (130)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This is the first blend I had when starting up this great hobby. The aroma in the can and while smoking are both very pleasing. Not nearly as clean a smoking experience as I have had with other blends. I agree with some other reviews that this is one of Lane's better offerings.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This stuff is simply horrible. A drugstore version of 1-Q, the predominant flavor is plastic. I attribute this to poor quality leaf and a lot of humectant.

Truly one of the worst smoking experiences I've had the displeasure of having.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Medium Very Pleasant

The only problem with this tobacco is the casing.

The pouch aroma is great, you want to eat the bakkie, that's how good it smells!

I started smoking pipes with the Captain black, when I didn't know better.

High moisture content, long, narrow cut bakkie.

Hard to keep lit, but creates major damages to a pipe because the cake never becomes dry, so it becomes harder and harder to smoke, overheats, then starts juicing up...It's impossible to go through a full pipeful.

i rebuy it just for the pouch aroma, but I wouldn't smoke it. I respect my pipes too much. Unless I decide to buy myself a corn cob, but I doubt it.

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

A light vanilla aromatic, mild with no bite. By the standards of some aromatics not unduly wet or goopy. For this lover of vanilla blends this was a disappointment for the reason that it simply lacked enough vanilla flavor. At first charring light the flavor is quite pleasant but it rapidly fades down the bowl and this smoker was lucky to detect any flavor before bowl was even half consumed. Not a blend I would seek out but would do in a pinch, certainly my favorite (least objectionable) of the various Captain Black blends

DRijkers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DRijkers (14)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Captain Black Royal is a bit hard to find in my area in the pouch. I seem to detect a bit of raisin note in this one, but maybe my can is an off batch. I find myself liking the White a bit better!

Just like White, this one has a great room note, and is an all-day smoker.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A slightly better version of CB White. That's not saying much for this Chemo-Vanilla-Gooper.

* 1/2

Very Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Really just tried this for the sake of trying it. Smells nice in the tin and a pleasant aroma when burning...but very cloying and no real tobacco taste. It's like smoking potpouri. yuck!

kempoka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kempoka (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

One of Lane Limited's better offerings. Strength is not overpowering, but offers that full-bodied attribute many of us continue to seek. Flavoring is rich and somewhat fruity, bot not overpowering. Room note is "heavenly", as described by others, pipe smokers and abstainers alike. Taste is just a tad lighter than what I feel would be optimum, but still exceptionally yummy. This blend "pushes the right buttons" to please this pipe smoker. With the addition of a bit more black cav, and the adding of just a wee bit of more flavoring (whiskey or rum) and aging, this blend could be the ultimate!

Penance Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Penance (1)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

IMPORTANT: There are two totally different tobaccos under the same name and package. The US Captain Black Royal (measured in ocz) and the EU one (measured in gramms). Well, I will be reviewing the US one, since compared to the european one, it is way better. If I would mark the US one 3/4 EU one gets 1/4. The reason is simple. The tobacco itself is different, produced and collecte in different countries, and the ending result drastically changes, and probably that is the reason many people give bad reviews to this tobacco.

In the case of the US one things started, when I was still 17 years old (I am 25 now) and I first tried pipe smoking, with this tobacco. Comparing to everything else I smoked until then (mostly aromatic cigars), it was way better. So, it has some sentimental value for me. Let's analyse:

Strength: It is not Latakia. It is mild, but due to it's heavy aroma, some people may find it irritates the palate, as this is a side effect of any aromatic smoke. Is is somewhat stronger than White one which has virginia in it, and somewhat milder than the Gold one.

Flavouring: Captain Black Royal (Blue), Gold and White have exactly the same flavouring, but the ending result differs due to different kinds of tobacco. The flavouring is stronger than many other aromatics I've smoked. The problem one may find is that, it needs a steady pace when you smoke, because if you puff a little bit faster than you should, you may get a tongue bite. Also, this tobacco is not recommended as a standard one-and-only aromatic one can smoke, because if one smokes it too regularelly, the flavouring tends to "dissapear". It needs breaks with other tobaccos, and that is one of the reasons it don't get a perfect score. The flavouring reminds me of a mixture between vanilla and chocolate.

Room Note: For many years now, I smoke this tobacco. But I smoke many others as well. This is one of the few I haven't got a single complaint about it's room aroma. People encourage me to smoke, because they like it. The good thing about this tobacco is that it is somewhat "neutral". There is one bad thing though, about it. When I smoke this in my room, after a day, if I do not open the windows wide open, it leaves an odd "smokey" trace that maybe irritating sometimes. I do believe this has to do with the fact that this tobacco is very popular and cheap, so it is not as "fresh" as it should be in terms of tobacco quality, so the chemical additives they use to flavour it, alter as time passes.

Taste: The best part of this smoking experience, is that it gives me the impression I want to eat a chocolate, although I don't like chocolate. So, it is really pleasant. Now matter how many tobaccos I have tried, I can't imagine not smoking Captain Black Royal. It's taste is so common, yet so original, none other could produce something similar. It's originality is based in it's simplicity.

In general this tobacco is recomended to every aromatic pipe tobacco smoker, but ONLY to people being able to find the US one, since the european one is NOT recommended at all. I hope this clarifies the contradicting reviews. I can support this for fact, since I did a little research on this matter. If I would rate the european one it would get:

Strength: Medium Flavouring: None Detected Room Note: Unnoticable Taste: Flat Recommendation: Not Recommanded

I live in Greece and for me is not that easy to find the US one, but I only smoke that one.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (41)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I ended up obtaining a pouch of this Captain via my brother in law. Upon opening the pouch I saw a mostly brown tobacco with a few bits of black cav & some lighter strands thrown in. The pouch aroma is very strong and quite nice. The tobacco within was moist..not wet..but moist..perhaps overly so. Uh-oh I thought..

Packing: Suprisingly this tobacco packed rather well using a standard 3-step. Doesn't clump up too bad..not too sticky..which amazes me given the seemingly high moisture content.

Lighting: Upon putting flame to the tobacco I get another suprise. It takes to flame right away with nary a sizzle. Simple tamp & relight and my cruise with the captain was underway.

Smoking: As I progress down the bowl I find the captain burning fairly well..no relights..wow I said to myself. The flavor is VERY pronounced coco-vanilla and yup..this is a dessert smoke for sure. Whoops..I'm actually enjoying this much maligned blend.

Finish: Hey..whats going on? Why do I find myself constantly relighting? Is it because the bowl is finished? Well, almost. Upon inspection I find the last 1/4 is a wet pile of dottle. Typical of aromatics I guess..

As the days go by I find myself reaching for this more & more...GULP! Is it possible? Sorry gang but I like this one :) Wife compliments this one every time I light up & it burns nice with zero bite. Certainly a quality aromatic..Oh, did I mention you can smell the pouch from 10 paces away? Almost a tobacco potpourri..

And hey..every once in a while I can actually taste tobacco underneath the overwhelming sauce this is soaked in..I think!? Good treat smoke...3 of 4

giturra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
giturra (31)
Very Mild Strong Very Full Pleasant

I like this tobacco every now and then, but it's just to cased and wet at times. It can be overwhelmingly sweet even for an aromatic smoker like myself. Of course I do indulge in it with delight ocasionally, but after one bowl I don't find the need to smoke it again for many weeks after. It's for those days when you have a sweet tooth. it's almost like having cookies and milk. at those time it works, otherwise it can be tiresome. Still the best Captain black if you ask me though. and the room aroma is usually complimented by the people around you. Enjoy, just dont overuse.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (167)
Very Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

There are aromatics, and then there are aromatics. This belongs to the latter category.

OleFattGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OleFattGuy (27)
Very Mild Very Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

This may sound silly to you US connoiseurs, but this is hard to get in Sweden (as far as I know), and I have read so much about it on the Net I felt I wanted to try it for myself. I am not generally speaking an "aromatic smoker", even though it sometimes offer a nice change when I've gone through my supply of Balkans and English.

This came in a pouch shrinkwrapped in an extra see-through plastic cover, and when I got home and unfolded it I discovered that a corner of that was missing. I suspected this might have dried the baccy out. Not so. Maybe there's a good part of humectants in there? The tobacco was almost sticky and moist so I decided to smoke it in my meer, hoping it would suffer the least from possible gooey residues.

As I lit it up and started puffing, it was a very mild smoke that greeted me, and I was almost dissapointed at its lack of taste. After a while my daughter cried out from the next room: "What's that smell?!!, It's soo ... GOOD!"

I tried to smoke more of it but gave up halfway since it was so bland and monochromatic. Dumped the rest of the bowl.

Well. That's about it as far as I'm concerned. A lot of vanilla-something that obviously pleases kids. It's another one of those aromatics that I'll reserve for smoking to create a "home-like" atmosphere if and when PTA comes around the house for discussions ;)

PetersonSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PetersonSmoke (2)
Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is the first tobacco that I ever smoked. I picked up a pouch with a Dr. Grabow at my local CVS and loved it. It smells amazing, and everyone around me loves it. It is very flavored and clearly aromatic. It may be too sweet for some, but it's good for a break from English blends once in awhile. Overall, a classic and memorable smoke.

RyanM Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyanM (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I am new to pipe smoking, and this was the first blend that I ever smoked. It has a sweet vanilla-like flavor; however, to me it tastes nothing like the pouch aroma. Non-smokers seem to love the room note, which is the same delightful odor that I conventionally associated with pipes before I started smoking. It can be a little moist, and it will bite if you're not careful. However, since my technique has improved, I find that it burns rather evenly. Compared to other Captain Black Blends, I think this is the best. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Pipesmoking101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmoking101 (18)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a strange one. I found that at the start of the pouch I quite enjoyed it but as time went on I enjoyed it less & less. By the time I got to the end of the pouch I found myself just plain bored with it. I have not tried any of the other CB's, so cant offer a comparison. The one big bonus of this is the gorgeous room note, the best I have ever experienced. As a beginners tobacco, the reliable burn rate make this suitable. One of the main detractors from this one is the cloying playdough effect it has on the bowl of whatever pipe it's smoked in. The flavour also stains any vessel. For fans of thoroughly flavoured Cavendish, highly recommended. For everyone else, try it in a pipe that matters not too much to you & wait untill the end of the pouch before drawing any firm conclusions. I feel it necessary to point out that I have been told that the CB we get here in the UK is different to the USA, so if that is the case I apologise if I have offended any CB lovers on the other side of the pond, but my review refers only to the UK. This smoke is only avaliable to us from tobacconists, & is - I feel - fairly expensive considering the quality of the smoke itself. I don't think I will be keeping this one around as a rule.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This has all the qualities of Captain Black regular however I think that it packs and burns a little nicer due to the thinner ribbon cut of the tobacco. When this was on the shelf I often opted for it rather than the white in my Captain Black days. The room aroma may not be as overwhelming with this one as the regular however it is still very pleasant. Four stars for sure. If I ran across this tomorrow I?d pick up a pouch for old times sake.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Very Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Nice tobacco, when I am in the mood for an aromatic I find that I reach for this. Like many others have said, this has the classic pipe aroma. It smells like the old pipesmoking men you saw when you were a kid, that is not to imply that it is bad, just that it is a classic. It tastes of light vanilla. I have tried most of the drugstore blends and this seems to be the best.

Railroader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Railroader (9)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Best Drug Store Aromatic On The Planet....I'll always have some around. A good "Truck Smoke" as it leaves a nice smell, and has no bad tendencies to distract you on the road. Your wife will like it, too.

Mephisto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mephisto (32)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I believe the time has come for someone to do a comparison of the Captain Black line of pipe tobaccos from Lane limited. I have decided not to review the Red or Cherry Flavor as it is so different from the others and if you like cherry then you do, if not then only the others are relevant. This leaves:

Royal ( dark blue pouch ), Light ( light blue pouch ), Gold ( golden pouch ) Captain Black or ?Captain Black White? ( white pouch ).

Light ( light blue pouch ) :

The pouch says carefully selected tobaccos. It is a fine ribbon cut of toast colored light tobaccos. The tobacco is the driest to the touch of all the CB and also has the least noticeable pouch aroma ( which is still strong. It is still the same CB smell with an almost yogurt like quality or mildness to it. OK this stuff burns like an oil soaked rag. Produces a decent but short lived smoke and tastes of almost nothing and just kind of dries the pallet. The room note is perhaps the least pleasant of the CB but this is still within the famous pleasant room note of CB barely but not unpleasant. This is so light that it is probably the only one of the CB series that I could actually recommend to the novice as an almost non smoke ( I think one should try something like an English first as it bites less and will develop better skills so I wouldn?t recommend any CB to the novice, but hey whatever ). I personally wont finish the entire pouch or keep this stuff around. Burns to salt and pepper ash and leaves small black dottle in bottom of bowl. Somewhat harsh on the mouth more so than the other CB at least for me. The worst of the CB for me.

Gold ( golden pouch ) :

The pouch says matured golden Cavendish tobaccos. It is a fine golden ribbon cut. Not as dry to the touch as the Light but still somewhat drier than the others. It is however now getting sticky as are the others with exception of the Light. Same CB pouch aroma but stronger than the Light and weaker than the others. It boarders on that mellow yogurt like roundness to the aroma and the more overwhelming aroma of the other CB flavors. This stuff burns like wild fire, smoke is in good quantity but once again dry and short lasting somewhat aggressive on the pallet and hot. Light and I would recommend it over the actual Light as it has some flavor key work is some. Now we get that famous CB room note in a stronger sense. Once again small moist black dottle and a more salt than pepper salt and pepper ash. Better than the Light but worse than all the other CB for me. Won?t finish it or keep it around.

Captain Black or ?Captain Black White? ( white pouch ) :

The Pouch says rich black Cavendish and mellowed burleys. It is a kind of ribbon cut but shot and stubby. This is the stickiest of all the CB. An overwhelming pouch aroma the strongest of the CB. That famous killer room note and also somewhat harsh on the gums. Burns relatively well fore such a wet feel. Decent smoke but not heavy or very thick. I think of all the CB this is the most common and if only drug store brands are available and the Royal is not stocked then this is an acceptable alternative. The old standard is just that an old standard and will be around forever. I say give it a try once. I won?t keep it around but might smoke a few bowls of it since I have the pouch here.

Royal ( dark blue pouch ),

The Pouch says aromatic black and golden Cavendish. A ribbon cut of black and golden Cavendish. Somewhat sticky to the touch but not as much as the white. A good burn and decent smoke but not heavy and doesn?t last. The pouch aroma is strong but not as overwhelming as the white. Good room note with that expected CB smell. I think this is the best of the CB series. An acceptable smoke and the better of the drugstore finds. I wouldn?t pass up some GLPease for it but if nothing else is around I would reach for this over the others on the local hardware store shelves. I guess give it a try and se what happens. Yes watch out for the heat and bite if you are used to better tobaccos especially if you are used to English blends as the fine ribbon cut Cavendish?s laden with topper will burn hot and wet.

Mephisto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Royal ( dark blue pouch ),

cruelraoul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cruelraoul (24)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

1Q packaged. The room note is the only reason that I can recommend this blend. The room note is appealing to most. It fouls up pipes almost permanently, and the taste is not even close to that of finer blends.

Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

This is the correct name for Captain Black Blue. Lights easily, smells great, taste is decent, if a bit cloying. It is no longer inexpensive, unless you buy it by the can. 1Q is the bulk version. It is a classic American Style aromatic, and indeed I have had many young women tell me they adore the smell. Unfortunately for Lane, I already have an exquisite wife, and she is allergic to tobacco smoke. So, I smoke whatever I please...outside of the house of course!

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (32)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I requested this be added to the review board This is the Original Captain Black Royal -

Review 5-2-05 -Captain Black Royal- Tastes and smokes great, Great room note, Nice pouch packaging, Not to wet not to dry, A perfect all day smoke or to start off with. This is great tobacco for a an over the counter smoke. This is going to fit great in my never ending stock rotation. I recommend this to all pipe smokers, not (novice) but only the experienced pipe smokers will appreciate this smoke. Enjoy! MozzMann-

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (32)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Review 5-2-05 Please refer to Captain Black Royal for full review Captain Black Royal is often refered to as Captain Black Blue

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

So far the best of the Capt. Black series. White is second, Gold third.

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)

Well, it's all been said before!! When I started smoking a pipe, I had asked what I needed to get started. I was told a pipe of course and a pouch of Captain Black in the blue pouch. Like everyone has said before, there are so many great blends of much higher quality out there that there is really no reason to ever smoke this stuff again. You can get it anywhere, and I do mean ANYWHERE!! (I drive a truck and you would not believe the places this stuff shows up!!). Non pipe smokers tend to love the smell of this stuff. If you you even think of pipe smoking, you think of this room note, it does smell wonderful! I smoke a bowl full every once in a great while just to reminise.

Ratcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ratcat (30)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

Pay caution to those who recomend this to a novice pipe smoker to start his journey. This is not for beginners. It does bite bad if not carefull. The mixture itself is half bad. It don't give you any image. If you put this thing on your pipe it will only let you know you are smoking one and that's about all. Sometimes it smell nice to the person next to me. Sometimes it smells horrible. But occasionally I can put some good use to this. This is a good mixture to work your over-nights with. I purchase a bag of this to do stuff with people. Imagine stuck in a room full of Marboro chimneys trying to plan out a production together. About 5 am I would have gone throught the whole pack. And when everyone leaves the room by 6 am, I still have 3 or 4 bowls's worth left in the bag. I looked in my ash container I see ashes from my pipe collected throught the night, 40% is wet tobacco unburnt. Imagine if this was my Davidoff, I would have cried. But thank God it was the Blacks, I can throw this away without any sympathy along with the 3 -4 bowl's worth. I then leave the building, ride my bike home and then I load up some nice English tin on my pipe thinking, "damn...I made it through the night with the one and only Captian Black Blues"

The reason I said this is a work horse tobacco and not one for beginnner is that it can bite real bad if not carefull. Most USA Virginia based mixed have this tendency. Yet like most quality Virginia, it has a nice creamy taste and for a drug store anywhere tobacco, this is well worth mentioning.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Captain Black Royal. This was my first tobacco. I found it to be a pleasant smoke, once I learned to keep it from biting.

I've gotten quite a few compliments on the room note - seems that everybody likes it. I was even told that it smelled a lot better than "that crummy stuff you smoke in those little cans". Alright then.

It does have a tendency to smoke wet, but then of the 1 3/4 oz in a pouch, I suspect nearly an ounce of it is propylene glycol. But with a bit of effort, it can be smoked fairly dry. Just go VERY slow....

My only complaint is that it gives me cotton-mouth.

I have a pouch of this blend in my stash, right along with all of those "crummy" blends in the "little cans". I revisit it now and again.

I would not suggest this as a first blend for a newbie, unless they have hands-on supervision, because if allowed, it will bite badly.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)

I tried this once because I ran out of some of my higher quality tobacco and it was late at night. I did the same thing that many other reviewers here did, I went to the drug store and bought a pouch. While I definately would not buy this in normal circumstances this is tolerable when out of premium blends. I had to wait for three days to get all of the tins I had ordered online so I gave this a try in a few differant pipes. I found that for me this smoked best in a meerschaum. This seems to be a common occurance with me for the cheaper aromatic tobaccos. It seems that the meerschaum pulls some of the casing and moisture out of it better than some of the briars I tried it in. I will not give this the worse rating because it is tolerable and probably the best I have had of the drug store type tobaccos. Also noted, this had a resemblence in flavor to me of 1Q. Not recomended under normal circumstances but tolerable if out of high quality blends.

Superhula Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Superhula (6)
Very Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

After reading many of the reviews on Captain Black Royal (it's official name, after all), I got all nostalgic about it. I went out and bought a pack of it ($5.79 nowadays!). I used to smoke this all the time, as well as Captain Black Gold, when I started smoking a pipe fourteen years ago. Boy, my tastes sure have changed!

All I can think now is: "Good grief, why did I ever smoke this stuff? It has about as much flavor as a bowl of steam." Granted, it does smell very nice in the package--absurdly artificial and nothing remotely like tobacco--but nice. And it burns nice and easy, and of course, it is easily available. Nevertheless, its flavor is virtually non-existant. The only discerable taste I got was a mild, slightly bitter, aftertaste on the back of my tongue. Ugh.

I guess when I first started, I didn't want tobacco to taste like much of anything. In any event, there is so much better tobacco out there that I don't see any reason to touch this ever again. With all the increases in tobacco taxes, it's not even that cheap anymore! I will say in its defense that it is a bit better than the other Grade Z pipe tobaccos available at the drugstore--namely Prince Albert (which is rancid stuff). Sure, it's just a beginner tobacco, as everyone has already noted. But there are many other mild aromatic tobaccos out there that are good beginner tobacoos and at the same time have an actual flavor. The prime reason to buy Captain Black is that you're completely out of something better, and the only thing open late at night is a drug store.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)

Doesnt have as stong of a flavor as Captain Black White, but has the same room note. Good to smoke when as a lighter aromatic. This has become my back up smoke for when I cannot get my other tobaccos and want something stronger than Carter Hall. Also good to rotate with. I will always go back to this tobacco every now and then if for no other reason than to think back to when I first started smoking. It is cheap and doesnt have too much vanilla flavor. Perfect for a new smoker.

CapnStuby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CapnStuby (31)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Although the english-charred tongue of an experienced smoker might throw this into the "drugstore fodder" bin, an occasional smoker and an aromatic smoker would probably do well to keep this blend in mind.

I've smoked many pouches of Cap'n Black and I've never been unpleasantly surprised. This is consistent, fairly mellow and has a good flavor and really nice room note. It forgives an occasional rapid puffing spate and it doesn't foul up a bowl with moisture.

Call it professional courtesy between captains, but I'll always keep room for this blend, even if I'm not a regular smoker of it. It's good to know that this will always be in reserve for those times when I just need a reliable smoke at a bargain price. For the reliability alone, I give it a good rating.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Captain Black Royal is one of the better Captain Black Tobaccos. Lane Limited ventured out in the early-mid 70's with a product that took the Pipe world by storm. I truely believe they never expected the sales to fly so high when they first marketed this tobacco, in fact this is still one of their most popular tobaccos.

I will purchase the trio of Captain Black's Tobaccos about once every eighteen months or so just for a change. I rather enjoy their delightful aroma and mild taste something you always will not get in aromatics, but then again it would be a very boring tobacco world if they were all the same.

For the new pipe smoker this is an excellent choice to begin with as it is easy to pack, stays lit, and not harsh on the tongue.

Nice occasional smoke.

WNDE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WNDE (69)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Another mild, pleasant vanilla blend from Lane Limited. I found this to have a little more flavor than Captain Black Gold and Smoker?s Pride Vanilla Cavendish but not quite as much as Captain Black White. It doesn?t have the hint of a fruit essence that White has, this is pretty much vanilla and that?s it. But there is nothing wrong with that if all you want is a plain, nice aromatic smoke. There?s no arguing with the satisfying room aroma Captain Black products have. If your palate requires more complexity then look elsewhere.

Update: I've downgraded my review because I doubt that I will buy this again unless desperate. There is just too much good tobacco out there to waste money on this unless you can't get to your tobacconist.

Nimrod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nimrod (29)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This seems to be just like the Captain Black white with a little less vanilla. It's been a while since I tried any CB White, but I seem to remember more vanilla and less tobacco flavor.

In a pinch (i.e. where I can only get drugstore tobacco) I'd probably buy this or perhaps the white label depending on what sort of mood I was in. I'd probably choose this over CB White because it tastes more like tobacco.

BrittPark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrittPark (41)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

This is the original bang for your buck aromatic. Ubiquitous, pleasant aroma, smokes easily and tobacco taste is even detectable. It's not a substitute, except in emergencies, for premium tobaccos, aromatic or not, but it is perfectly pleasant to smoke from time to time. Enjoyable in much the same way as reading "Charlie and The Chocalate Factory" after a diet heavy on Henry James.

Everyone should at least try this once.

RebelPipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RebelPipester (12)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Having been smoking for five years I finally got to try this blend, since it is considered the best of Captain Black blends I had to try it. From all accounts I agree.

This is a rum flavored black Cavendish and burley blend. This smells very close to "Wilkshire" from people who distribute Lane bulks.

If you feel like an aromatic and don't want to go to your local Tobacconist, give this a try.

The ultimate beginners tobacco! This stuff is pretty darn good for a drugstore aromatic and I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that it's what got me smoking a pipe. I believe that taking up smoking a pipe is kind of like a crap shoot. If you don't have someone knowledgeable there to show you the ropes- you might pick up something awful like chokum stiff cherry or "low" IQ! As it is- if you're lucky- you pick up a package of this stuff and you're off to the races. With a very subdued vanilla casing and real tobacco flavor (if you look hard enough), this stuff took me down the road to the good blends. I feel this stuff is better than the white version with a much subdued amount of flavoring. If you are recommending a tobacco to a beginning smoker or are just out in the boondocks and can't find premium baccky- this is the way to go.

Newbie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Newbie (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm a new pipe smoker, and for people like me I highly reccomend this tobacco. This is the best tobacco available at drug stores, and this is my favorite kind of Captain Black. It is fairly moist, burns well, and never leaves me with tongue bite. It has a vanilla flavor with a sweet, almost marshmellow-like after taste. The flavor is milder than the white Captain Black. It seems like a good tobacco to break in a pipe. It has a very nice aroma, and when you consider the price and availability you can't do much better.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This may be the reason why I smoke today. This is great-smelling stuff, and I suppose one of the blends that many new pipesters started with. It is rather weak in flavor, but it is cool and smells great. As someone said above, if I really wanted to smoke a pipe but only drugstore-varieties were around, Captain Black Royal Blue or White package would get my choice.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)

Good Beginner smoke.

Nice smell, soft no bite taste. Very similar to Lane Limited's 1-Q or Tinderbox's Wilshire.

After an ounce or two, I just lost interest. I like a little bit of "kick" and Blue can't.

Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Read my review of Captain Black White, turn the flavor wheel down two notches and you've got my impression of Captain Black Blue!

B.S Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
B.S (6)

This is a tobacco that seems to be present in every drug store in America. My friend and I used to take this out his dads tin and smoke it in our corn cobs. It's a cavendish tobacco with I believe a burley base. It lites well which it should with all the chemical agents added for help. It has both a pleasant pouch and room aroma that will definitly please most. Be warned it will leave some goopy dottle in your pipe bowl when your done, but it's a good tobacco to cut your teeth on.

Padraig Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Padraig (10)
Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

For a drugstore anywhere tobacco, this is actually smokeable. The nice thing about Cap't Black (Blue) is that if I ever run out of a really premium tobacco and I'm in some out-of-the-way place, I can probably get this and be happy.

It came to me fairly dry, I hydrated it with a small piece of a Fuji apple for 3 days and the wonderous aromas of the fruit and tobacco intregued me. It lit well, burned evenly, some tounge bite, but not bad.

I finished the pouch and thought I had gotten my money's worth. Good for a beginner.