An exotic blend of Virginias and a unique Black Cavendish which is mixed with the flavors of honey and nuts, a perfectly balanced combination to provide and a light and rich smoke.

BrandPipeworks & Wilke
Blended ByCarole Burns
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringHoney, Nuts / Beans
Strength
Taste
emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

I've smoked this several times but I keep forgetting to review it, perhaps because I usually wind up trying other Wilke blends that I like so much better or perhaps it is because Bleeker Street is not very memorable. Not bad stuff, mind you, but like its namesake in lower Manhattan, it doesn't dazzle nor is it impossible to forget. Along this vein, I find the Bohemian a much rounder, more mouth watering aromatic. And I like Gramercy Park better for its interesting and exotic fruit toppings. This is a mild but unspectacular creation that I imagine would have wide appeal to those graduating from goopy aromatics ala Captain Black.

Three of five stars

Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This blend is indeed very similar to Bohemian Mixture. There is vanilla added, making it a bit sweeter, and not as complex. Again, this stuff is more savory than syrupy. It is a far cry from most cased black cavendish aromatics. Another winner from P&W.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (97)

Bleeker Street is an odd bird of an aromatic. I will give Pipeworks and Wilke some credit here for coming up with a one of a kind flavor. I definitely get the vanilla but anything else is masked by a peculiar incense like aroma. My daughter enjoys homeopathic essential oils and Bleeker’s pouch note reminds me of one she has called vetiver oil which has a prominent musk like scent.

The tobacco arrives very moist and is quite resistant to liberal amounts of dry time. I had to set it out for about 4 hours before attempting to light it. Even then it could have used more dry time as it didn’t smoke very well and was prone to burning hot.

The flavor is lightly sweet and uncomplicated. However, the unique topping definitely adds another dimension to what would otherwise be an average vanilla aromatic mixture. I hate to dog this one, there’s a ton of potential here. But poor performing/overly moist tobacco ruins this for me. A different kind of blend that somehow ends up being the same as most of the rest.

Pipe Used: Cob

Dan341 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dan341 (3)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I am back to a pipe after a 35 year hiatus. Of all the blends I've tried so far this is my hands down favorite. Pouch and room notes are heavenly. Even my health nut R.N. sister in law loves the room note. Its a cool, smooth flavorful smoke with hints of honey, vanilla and nuts. It is the only tobacco I've tried so far that stays sweet and cool all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Smokes best indoors after some drying. Living just north of Pipeworks I've had the pleasure of meeting Carole. She is very knowledgeable and strikes me as the kind of person who is fun to be around.

Don't tell the F.D.A. but this is probably too good to be legal!

dedalto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dedalto (19)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I find this to be a perfect change of pace tobacco. It is sweet without being oppressive and never bites. One the best aromatics I ever smoked that does not need to beat you over the head with excessive drama of taste and aroma. It is a simple and elegant smoke. Four Stars.

This is one very different tasting aromatic. Bleeker Street has some sweetness to it, but it is less sweet than the typical aromatic. I find the pouch smell to be that of a more typical aromatic and I don't pick up the nuts or honey in the pouch. I don't find the nut or honey taste in the flavor of the smoke either. Hockey01 IMHO really nails the taste of this tobacco. It tastes a bit like the scent of patchouli. With all that said, Bleeker St. is a very tasty tobacco. For me it will be a nice change of pace smoke. Recommended.

astcal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
astcal (2)

I alos got this as a sampler. Surprisingly wonderful taste! I'd rank it higher than Pipeworks & Wilke's No.191 (vanilla) and Gramercy Park. Highly recommended.

sand18f Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sand18f (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Nothing like any aromatic that I've tried in 45 years. No chemical, copper taste like CBW and associates. Good black cavendish, Virginia's are there. Flavorings are done they way I would do them, if I new what I was doing. The pouch aroma reminds me of homemade pecan pie and the taste is more subdued of course but, headed in that same direction. You will view aromatics differently after trying Pipeworks and Wilke offerings.

Carole Burns is a tobacco "Chef" and a very good one. Excellent tobacco, Excellent flavorings and Excellent execution.

In todays world it's nice to find someone who cares enough to do it right.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a solid, black-cav aromatic. Not bad at all; but Pipeworks and Wilke makes much better aromatic blends.

BigBen53 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigBen53 (21)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Bleeker Street smells Good in the Pouch. the flavoring stay all the way down to the bottom of the bowl. aroma in the room delightfu. black cavendish with vanilla wonderful Pipe tobacco. and taste delicious and No bite.spice flavor one of the nice aromatics in my book. i smoke two to three bowl a day with a Hot cup of coffee it great. one of my all day smoke. Bleeker Street is wonderful tobacco, and i give it 4 star

Very Mild Very Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is the HOLY GRAIL of all aromatic pipe tobaccos!If you like American style sweet aromatics you MUST try this. It is a sweet black cavendish with a wonderful vanilla and spice flavoring.This is what all American aromatics have aspired to be.It is the mildest tobacco I know.It has no bite and a luscious and rich flavor.It leaves you craving another bowl.The room note will be appreciated by all .It is similar to Bohemian mixture ,only sweeter and less complex. A real treat when you have a sweet tooth.This has always been known to Wilke customers since the 80's.I requested this so as to share this treasure with pipers around the world.It is not on their website but ask Carole when you order a sampler and she will accommodate you. Happy Aromatic Puffing to all! 4 stars!

vinci666 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinci666 (2)

Im new to pipe smoking and I really enjoyed this smoke. it had a pleasant room note. it had a very pleasant taste to it. i recommend this for newbies like myself.

Pipe Used: poker, nose warmer

Age When Smoked: 43

Purchased From: pipeworks and wilke

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (88)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I must echo the review of SmokeKing David (2007, below). This is a perfectly fine and extremely mild black Cavendish blend and would do well for those who like ultra-mild aromatic blends. But for me this was just too light - nearly tasteless. Doesn't stand out in a field of outstanding Pipeworks & Wilke aromatic blends.

Positives are a nice room note and excellent performance characteristics (burns well, burns clean, plumes of puffy white smoke, no goop in the pipe, absolutely no bite). It's just difficult to be overly enthusiastic about such an extremely light tobacco.

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (28)

Wow, this one is...different. Just ordered 8 oz. of this and upon opening the bag, I got a really different pouch aroma than I expected. This is definitely not a syrupy- sweet aromatic by any means; vanilla seems to be on the lighter side. It's the other note that I'm getting and it smells almost like a very light patchouli, believe it or not. I guess that's the 'spice flavorings.' If you've ever smelled an unlit Acid brand cigar, you'll know the aroma I'm talking about. Cigar stores will keep their Acid brand cigars well away from their other brands so that they don't pick up that spicy aroma and flavoring.

Nevertheless, this is quality tobacco, that's for sure, and it burns very well to the bottom of the bowl. Fortunately, that flavoring doesn't seem to affect the room note but it does come through on the palate a bit. Not unpleasant, just...different.

castello man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
castello man (13)

Not very sweet actually. It has more of a spicy exotic flavor and aroma. Not much vanilla at all. Since people are comparing this to the Bohemian for some reason, I must say that I do prefer the Bohemian.

the old man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the old man (14)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

i ordered two four oz. bags of tobacco from pipeworks, and they sent me a small sample of bleeker street. the pouch aroma was great, and the taste was mild, but tastey. this is a good all day smoke. i am ordering this with my next tobacco order.