Scotty's Butternut Burley is faintly reminiscent of Lane's 1Q or RLP-6 aromatic offerings, yet in a class all its own. Upon first lighting up, your initial surprise will be the complete lack of tongue bite; this holds true consistently throughout the bowl, as this tobacco has the least tongue bite of any aromatic going. This blend packs easily, lights readily, and simply refuses to go out. It burns completely to a fine, white ash, leaving minimal dottle to contend with in the bottom of the bowl. How is it for taste? Imagine a blend of warm butter with just a hint of vanilla and honey, then add sweet nutty overtones to round out the flavor. After the bowl is done, expect a pleasant lingering sensation on your palate with no bitterness at all. Mild enough to be an all-day smoke, Butternut Burley leaves a pleasant room note sure to be a hit even with the non-smokers in the crowd. Scotty's Butternut Burley is the perfect tobacco to introduce a beginning pipe smoker to the fine art, and is sure to be a favorite of seasoned veterans as well.

Notes: Reviewers are indicating that this blend may have experienced a significant change, with pipesandcigar's merger with Cigars International, sometime in 2013.

Brandpipesandcigars.com

3.2
LZ639 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LZ639 (4)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

I used to smoke this blend regularly, but it is not what it used to be. Since Scott Bendett sold the blend to Cigars International, it is a wet, over cased mess that borders on unsmokeable. It took 7 months of drying out in a tobacco jar to make it dry enough to smoke. I won't buy it again.

Pipe Used: Meerschaaum

Purchased From: www.pipesandcigars.com

serif365 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
serif365 (19)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Fortunately for me the pound and a half I have bought of this blend was BEFORE the blend changed as noted in prior reviews. I find it to be a wonderful smoke with plenty of flavor and a great room note. This is truly my everyday smoke when I can't think of any other blend I want. I highly recommend this blend if you can can't some that is more than six months old.

Pipe Used: 40+

CornCobBob61 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCobBob61 (10)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I couldnt quite say I enjoy this blend.Im a lover of strong tastes...strong english strong aromatics....this is entirely to mild for my tastes.....nothing wrong with it....just to mild

Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I second all that Tobacco Critic said about this blend. I just smoked a bowl from my local pipe club's tobacco bar this evening and was highly impressed.

The mostly ribbon cut Burley leaf was not goopy when I gathered up the tobacco to put into my pipe. The smell from the bag was of butterscotch. That smell transformed into a butterscotch flavor on my tongue, but what impressed me was the fact that it also tasted like a quality Burley tobacco and had a pleasant hit of nicotine.

The blend does get a tad bitter toward the bottom of the bowl, but it smoked dry all the way down. For lovers of this type of aromatic, it's a 4-star bell ringer.

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Coming straight from the bulk bag, It was kind of coarse and dry, but some blends are just better like that. It makes it easy to light, and it's quality enough to smoke cool and true all the way.

I really appreciate the nuttiness and just good burley here. The butternut part of it does show every now and then, but it's mild enough to give you a true pipe tobacco full taste. Needless to say the room note is great.

From an english smoker looking for a good aromatic, this could be for a wider audience.

Pipe Used: H.I.S Egg, Peterson System (Bent), Cob

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Sweet, mild, burley goodness. For being a cased blend the complete lack of tongue bite is a happy surprise. The primary flavor is the nutty brown burleys. The burleys in this blend are beautiful. Cool burning, Even burning and so so smooth. The vanilla and honey casing is very well done. The honey flavor comes through strong in the smoke making it very pleasant and sweet. The vanilla is not very present but thats alright with me. I am a heavy english smoker so for me to enjoy this blend is really saying something. Heavy, dark burley, virgina and latakia blends make up my usual pipe diet. Butternut Burley has been a pleasant, sweet break in my rotation.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 316 Roma

Doggie_Daddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doggie_Daddy (5)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

This is a blend I could smoke often. The added top flavors are not to overpowering of the fine burley and Cavendish. The aroma from the tin is nice and the room note is wife and daughter approved. The thick buttery smoke has a pleasant mouth feel. This is an all day smoke.

Pipe Used: meerschaum

Tplumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tplumm (17)

I have to echo the reviews of some others here, this blend has changed with P&C's merger with Cigars Int. The first time I bought this was last year and I was greatly pleased. This time it had to be dried for days and still gooped up the bottom of the bowl, had constant re-lights and the smoke seemed a little bland. I guess that all good things must come to an end.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

The smell of this blend is wonderful, very buttery. I was very excited at first and hoping for a great smoke. All I got was an "ok" smoke. Nothing to write home about. May help to dry it a bit, didn't seem moist (least nothing out of the ordinary for an aromatic smoker) but just couldn't keep it burning well. The taste was just meh, again nothing interesting about it, nothing terrible about it.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9

After Taste = 9

Raw Score = 57

Rated Percentage = 95%

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, Mellow, not as sweet as Lane Limited 1-Q or Trout Stream, nice Flavor

review_again Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
review_again (8)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I'm mainly a burley smoker .....Prince Albert being my main stay. I've so many times tried other blends and been disappointed every time. Like many, I still search for that next great blend. I also smoke it for a while to be sure that I've based my conclusion on experience with the blend. I will say that this is a very good blend. It starts out extremely mild ...only tasting a weak nutty, butterscotch aroma and taste. As I progress I start tasting the tobacco ....extremely mild, tasty and pleasant smoke. It's a blend that you've got to take your time with ...slowly puffing and let the flavor come to you. Very nice. So nice that it has become my other tobacco of choice. Highly recommend! For me, I found this blend smokes best in a cob! If you like a warm, tasty, relaxing smoke ....you gotta give this blend a try. excellent! I will keep this well stocked.

Update: Smoked a few more ounces. This is just a superb smoke. The more I smoke ...my fondness for this burley increases. I found that as it ages it gets better. Just a smooth, tasty, sweet tobacco. I slobber just thinking about this blend. Very clean burley tobacco taste after the tasty sugar cookie buttery taste subsides at the beginning of the bowl.Very clean and cool smoke. This has to be one of the best burley blends I've ever smoked. I highly suggest a cob for this blend. Yummy!!!!! If you are a burley lover ..... get some and smoke at least a few ounces. This blend requires time to really appreciate. I've found that it smokes much better packed somewhat loosely. A truly great tobacco. Butternut burley has moved to the top of my favorite baccy ...... I reach for it often. I will keep Scotty's butternut Burley well stocked!

Shoog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shoog (13)

Bought 4 ounces on a whim with my last P&C order. When I received my order and opened the bag it smelled more aromatic than I generally prefer. Luckily it did not smoke as sweet as it smelled. It was fairly sweet with a buttery nut kind of flavor. Lol hence the name I guess. The perfect tobacco when your in the mood for something on the sweeter side. Smokes cool and dry with ZERO bite even when pushed. My 4 ounces is rapidly disappearing and will be buying more with the hot summer months ahead.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I review and recommend this tobacco as an aromatic. I generally seek an OTC like Carter Hall, or some McBaren Golden Extra when I want a Burley experience as I know it with the characteristic cocoa and nuttiness. I purchased a pound of Butternut Burley in 2009, smoked half of it and jarred the rest. I find the flavor and quality has remained constant. This has a similar finer cut as other OTC's and cased burley blends. Minimal effort to pack and light.

As others have mentioned similar to 1Q. I find it to be like a super light version of Pipes and Cigars Trout Stream. I generally smoke this in a Grabow freehand or cob w/o a filter. Billows of a mildly fragrant smoke with a light flavor. Good mild warm weather fare. Everyone likes the aroma. I believe this is one of the best aromatic offerings available, which from my perspective, is all this blend can be expected to be.

This behaves extremely well towards the bottom of bowl and doesn't goop or ghost. When I crave something easy, light and sweet, , this is my 1st choice. 3 stars.

jacques1960 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jacques1960 (27)

Not sure what to make of this - certainly easy to smoke, but I'm not sure I get the "butternut" quality; there is an almost perfumed note to it.

Not bad in any way, just a bit odd and highly unexpected in relation to its name.

I have read of the comparison to an "old sweater", but my only ability to make this connection (albeit, after only one bowl) is that it is of a sweater redolent with a woman's perfume.

As I said above, unexpected fragrance and taste.

Update: taking a hint from Blevins, I spread this on a plate and left open in my humidor to air for two days. Totally different experience; odd "perfumy" notes have gone. Smooth smoke, without any gurgle, goop or bite, even burn all the way down. Nice.

I find the description of this blend to be a bit wordy and over the top, so I'll simplify it with my comments on this blend.

If you want a pleasant tasting burley tobacco that you could literally smoke all day long and have a tongue left, this is your huckleberry.

A simple blend containing a quality burley, some black cavendish and some flavoring that to me tastes like butterscotch. The flavoring doesn't overpower the burley, so it's a nice balance....when made correctly.

I've smoked it for years, but there does seem to be a consistency problem with the flavoring applied. Whereas in batches in the past one could easily taste the burley, the amount of flavoring applied to my most recent order suggests a heavy hand was used in adding the butterscotch flavoring so that it completely overwhelms the tobacco. It's almost like smoking pure butterscotch flavoring. Nearly unsmokable, this order only merits two stars. It will likely take weeks in an open humidor to make it what it should be. They need to tone down the flavoring considerably and return to what it used to be, a well balanced burley aromatic.

It's a little sweeter than I generally prefer, but from time to time, I need that in my smoking life. The earlier comparisons to 1Q and old sweaters are rather appropriate. I like it better in a cob than in a briar;I taste the burley a little more that way. A very good all day smoke for your sweet tooth. It has a pleasant room note and after taste. If you want more of an uncased burley taste, you'll have to go elsewhere. But if you just want a pleasing flavor, you made the right choice.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (152)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Is a very good blend. Is an Aromatic Version ,sweet, but based on Burley; In the mixture, i see coarse cutted light, golden Burley and some Black Cavendish Tobacco (Cavendish Burley?). in the smoke, the flavour seems Nuts, but also sweet and vanilla And the taste is sweet, but together somewhat bitter, common in Burley mixtures. One of the best Burleys. It burns well, easy to pack and fit, easy to smoke. Low Nicotine.

Wolfeye1975 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wolfeye1975 (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I am a recent convert to pipe smoking. I find that it's actually a positive when reading and writing as opposed to cigarettes, and though perhaps not healthy, I smoke much less.

I got this as part of the victory lap sampler, and am blown away. In fact tasting this in my "university" pipe purchased ten years ago in a similar act of conversion. Soon, at my door the postman had delivered a natural Savinelli with Lucite stem. All the difference in the world! A biggish bowl, short, bent and nicely darkening.

The pouch aroma bowls one over, but not in a negative way, just tobaccoey sweetness, and a little something else. They call it butternut - I call it all, as a total package, unctuous. This blend has affirmed my love of burley. I find a short amount of drying helps my enjoyment, and reduces gurgle to non-existent.

If others read this review,and feel inclined, please point out other nice burley blends.

My wife will put up with me "secretly" smoking in the house. I like Virginias too, but she won't have them. As a gift to myself and to her, I have ordered eight ounces.

Also ordered a trevi author rustic - shall try in it as well. Also, some EMP clone is on its way - 4 oz., and from what I'm reading, I think I will enjoy it.

kaywoodiecanuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaywoodiecanuck (14)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I was given a healthy sized ziploc bag of this from a friend to try out. Loved it. I will buy more, and keep it in the daily rotation. smell was tame in the bag but pleasant, room note was pleasing for all, flavor kept me interested through the bowl and I was a touch sad when it quickly disappeared and I was out! I found a bit of dry time needed, though it never really bit me. Just was a bit more fussy with re-lights.

Gramps Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gramps (9)

I occasionally order a pound of this and it typically doesn't last all that long when I do.

As other reviewers have pointed out, this is a very mild tobacco with a very pleasant butterscotch type flavor. It burns well and provides a good smoke.

However, I do find that the amount of topping can be inconsistent from one bowl to the next it seems. It's as though the flavoring is very apparent in some bowls and hardly existent in others. I can only assume that it was applied with haste and the result was inconsistency.

Nonetheless, it's a good aromatic burley blend that even at it's worst is better than most others.

RamblinMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RamblinMan (4)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I first had this blend a few years ago, finished my 2oz sample and moved on to sample many other tobaccos (both tinned and bulk). A couple of weeks ago I was looking through the reviews here and, while checking out a few other P&C blends, stumbled on Butternut Burley again. Strangely I could recall the taste and, before I knew it, I found myself ordering some.

As the previous reviewer likened it to an old comfortable sweater, I must agree. The flavor and taste are familiar, not overbearing, and perfect with a morning cup of coffee. I would have to add that it is not your typical sweet aromatic and is fairly simple in it's taste. There are indeed faint notes of buttery, nutty, almost pecan sandie flavoring, but these do not overpower the natural tobacco taste.

This will probably become one of my go-to Burleys. Not that I smoke burley blends all that often but sometimes I am in the mood for something simple, comfortable, and familiar.

zwolanek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zwolanek (18)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Butternut Burley is like an old sweater you've had for years. You set it aside and forget about it, then one day you see it there in the back of the closet, put it back on, and - shocked that it still fits - wonder why you ever stopped wearing it.

I just ordered another five pounds. This blend is smooth and enjoyable. Anything but 'just another bitey aromatic' because it is everything most aromatics are not. Burley bites me bad, but not this. I dry most aromatics in a sunny window for a day, or three. Not this. Most aromatics will ghost a pipe. Not this. Most aromatics burn finicky and leave 25% or more dottle. Not this.

Over and over again, I move to foo-foo blends, try tins of this and that, bump up my Latakia content to the stratosphere, move to straight Virginias, then VA/Pers, and simply forget about my Butternut Burley.

Then, like that old sweater, it pops up again and finds its way back into my life for days on end. Days stretch to weeks, then to months.

Then one day, I'm called away. Knowing that with time, this old friend will find me again.

My vacation into aromatics continues and there isn't much to add to the other 87 reviews of this popular blend, although a quote by Da Vinci comes to mind, “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” In a nutshell (pun intended), that is Butternut Burley! Highly Recommended!

Scotty42 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scotty42 (5)

I'm mainly a English blend smoker...(Magnum Opus & Northwoods) but in the morning I go right for a bowl of burley & a cup of strong coffee & Scotty's BB is IMHO the best burley around. I've tried my share of different burleys but I always come back to BB & I'm done teating the waters. NO BITE & A GREAT BURLEY FLAVOR!! Just the right amount of sweetness in the smoke with a slight & only occasional hint of honey makes this blend PERFECT with a cup of Columbian coffee before I start the day. This is a burley lovers delight!!

mackaydjames Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mackaydjames (10)
Mild Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant

Ooooooooo... do I love this blend; to the point where I begin to feel insecure when I've noticed I only have about an ounce left in my humidor. When I take pleasure in it, I start to feel the same way I feel when I'm sat down in front of a plate of a warm Belgian waffle, with maple syrup and some bacon on the side. DELICIOUS! It smells delightful right out of the pouch, isn't a huge challenge to pack, lights quickly, and burns evenly right down to the last gulp. And for desert, it leaves behind a warming flavor in the air; so you can smoke it indoors. I most certainly suggest that all aromatic fanatics, at least, give it a fair try.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Brown and black flecks of burley, white burley, and fire cured burley. Topped with a most delicious butternut flavouring, it lights easy, and burns well. Nice big clouds of sweet tasting and sweet buttery Burley, (Yes I am a Burley Fan). A great combination here. It's quite good and I wonder if the "REAL" label should be afixed for having such a real buttery taste. This is a crowd pleaser as well. It reminds me of how the candy counter at Sears, with all the roasting nuts used to smell. This will be a magical blend in the autumn! Yum.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)

This aromatic is a cut above its peers. As the description indicates, it has very little bite and the flavoring carries nicely into the smoke. The quality impressed me greatly, but the flavor grew tiresome long before I finished my two-ounce sample. I strongly recommend giving this a try if you like aromatics, and I'm sure that many fans of more "natural" blends might enjoy it as well. I'm not buying anymore, but I do suggest that aromatic fans give this a try -- it's good stuff, just not to my taste.

HokieGeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HokieGeek (23)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I thought this was decent enough. It's worth keeping a few ounces around - particularly for the price! I guess it's a little bit less sweet than the Black Cavendish I smoke, but it still has some sweetness. I think I would most of the time rather experience sweetness from a good virginia than from a flavoring. I enjoyed this smoke well enough - it was a nice, relaxing lunch break - , it's just not my favorite.

GrizzledBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GrizzledBill (2)

It's amazing. The flavoring doesn't hide the true burley taste and the combination of the two flavors is remarkable. An all day smoke that is best paired with a cup of your finest coffee.

fishingpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fishingpipe (4)

My #2 go to smoke and one I enjoy. Everything in the description I found to be true. Zero tongue bite, even if you're a hard puffer. Packs very well (I use the three bears method). Maybe half the time I have to relight after the char light, and usually make it 2/3 of the way through or more before I have to relight. 2 out of 3 times I smoke it to the dottle with 1-2 lights. My wife enjoys the room note and I often get the "reminds me of my grandfather" comments when smoking it in public. Great smoke for beginners. All day smoke for any experience level.

Fountainhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fountainhead (16)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

One of the best aromatics I have ever smoked. It has a simple and inoffensive taste that one desires in an aromatic, which is something that many aromatics don't do well (they taste foul or sour). The aroma, which is primarily why people would try this blend, is fantastic. It is a pretty complex smell, with tones of vanilla and butternut and rum. It is a very even and consistent smoke with no ugly surprises.

Grampa's Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grampa's Pipe (12)

I smoke this blend almost exclusively and only occasionally fill my pipe with anything else. It is the one tobacco that can be smoked consistently all day long and never bite...and I do mean never. The Burley that is used in the blend is of high quality and the added sweetened Black Cavendish imparts a sweet, buttery flavor without being cloying or overwhelming the tobacco flavor. The tobacco burns clean without leaving a wet mess in the bowl.

I would recommend this tobacco to anyone who smokes their pipe frequently and wants a Burley blend that is both economical and tastes great.

BronxBriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BronxBriar (10)

This is without a doubt one of the best everyday smokes I have ever had. Cool with absolutely no tongue bite. A wonderful mix of burley and virginias that gives off an aroma to die for. Gentle flavors of mild strength with an even burn, I could smoke this for 24/7 and die happy.

ROBERT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROBERT (14)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

no tongue bite this is and all day smoke if you want it to be

Jeremy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jeremy (19)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Very mild. No tongue bite, even with heavy puffing. Burns to a nice ash. Decent flavor and smell, my wife doesn't mind it. It's a sweet aromatic, which I don't usually smoke, but this one is good, especially first thing in the morning with my coffee. Later in the day I want more nicotine kick than this offers. My biggest problem with it is the fact that I can't dry it out no matter how long I leave it out, and that just doesn't seem natural. I think it must have an additive to keep it moist. But that does not seem to make it gunk up in the bowl or burn hot, which is also kind of weird. Summary: Aromatics aren't my thing, but if you like them this should be a top pick to try out.

AbeCox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AbeCox (17)

This is definitely going to become a go to blend. As the description said, no bite. Ever. This tobacco never bit me, and I plan on getting more of it as it went down very smoothly. Its flavored with nutty undertones and a generally mild smoke, and has a great sweet maple like smell to it as it is exhaled. I'll definitely have to pick up some more for my cellar.

Funn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Funn (14)

This is what aromatic smoking is all about! This is Our Best Blend,PA,PS Va. Longcut in an aromatic,all my favorite blends in different categories I can smoke all day. Appearance is tan,brown and black in a rough cut.Don't see ribbon,shag or flake. This is like Lane's I-Q only raised to the upmost degree. I don't know if it's a higher grade of tobacco,or a better flavoring used. No bite probably because of the cut. I consider this Black Cordial's lighter brother. If you pack it loose & tamp only when you can't re-light you will get the tobacco taste. Very smooth,creamy and pleasant. I smoke this to and from work every day. For those who smoke everything, you're doing yourself a great dis-service but not trying this nectar. Monochromaticness (Funn Dictionary), blandness comes from over puffing IMHO.Currently smoking it in a small meer with a sharp V at the bottom of the bowl. No goop or moisture at all. I have to re-pack if a strand clogs the bottom of the bowl. I put this in a Vinyl sifter pouch which de-moisturizes(Funn Dictionary) it to the perfect degree. No hassel loading,put the granules on top from the other side of the pouch gives you a perfect smoke. Friends have told me they're hungry after smelling this blend. This is the perfect blendation(Funn Dictionary) of taste,smell,smokability,bitelessness(Funn Dictionary) in an Aromatic!! Highly recommended!! Makes you capitalize Aromatic it's so good.

Tigerjackshere Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tigerjackshere (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I have read the reviews here on this blend & I think first off you have to like areo's to even consider this blend. This is a Great Tobacco . Great starter for the new pipe smoker. A nice change for the seasoned pipe smoker. I seen where a couple reviews said it has bite??? I dont see how thats possible unless there extremily hard puffers & I do mean HARD puffers because I couldnt make this stuff bite!! Burley fans & areo fans give it a try, I think you will be glad you did.

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (46)

My experience with Butternut Burley mirrors that expressed in Pipe4ever's earlier review. I experienced an initial predilection for this blend, but subsequent smokes have turned it into an extreme re-conditioning experience for my palate, which seems to have become irreversibly averse to it. I don't know what's made even jarred BB turn bitter and frankly repugnant to my palate after a time. Could be some chemistry in the blend itself. But I've submitted my batch to repeated and varied samplings and I every time I had to dump the bowl. No more BB for me.

Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I have been smoking the blend off and on for about 18 months. I finally decided to review it. First off, I think one has to like aromatics to like this blend, just being a burley smoker is not enough as it is very mild and has a definite butter pecan tsste. This could easily be an all day blend and can't and won't wear out the tongue. It is what it is and that's a mild aromatic that does not have tongue bite, it smokes clean, has a great flavor and aroma and makes a great blender.

This tobacco comes in bulk and when opening the bag it has a scent of Simores. It smells good enough to eat. It is a somewhat moist blend and has a mixed coloring from light to very dark in a rough cut ribbon. It does have a little stickyness to the touch but it packs easily in the pipe and it lights and stays burning very well. It emits a nice, very creamy cool smoke, not overpowering nor cloying at all, just the good butter pecan flavor and wonderful room aroma. It burns down to a nice grey ash with very little dottle and does not leave a bunch of moisture in the bottom of the pipe in spite of it being a moist tobacco. This is not one I wasnt to smoke all day but it could easily be for some, but I do find myself reaching for it a lot with a cup of coffee. I also smoke it when around people as they tend to like the aroma. This would be a great blend for new smokers as it won't bite their tongue and it tastes good. I highly recommend this but not to purists. One must like an aromatic to enjoy this blend or at least be open to them.

DrBoB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrBoB (7)

This is one of my "Big Three" I keep 1 Lb in candy jars on the shelf along side of Rolando's Own and a Dunhill 965 copy. It is a flavorful burley that won't bite and mixes well with other aromatic burley blends (like Peretti's No Name blend) and tastes fine on it's own. It is a real staple tobacco that I return to again and again. And it's a real bargain too.

Boomer-Z Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boomer-Z (22)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I am learning to be a burley fan. I have tried two or three different versions and this is my favorite. No bite, billowy smoke, behaves well when lit, and it tastes good. If you are looking for a big bold tobacco this isn't it. If you are looking for a nice smooth burley to begin or end you day with then give this one a try.

Cancerman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cancerman (13)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I love this stuff! I'm a new pipe smoker and started with the Victory Lap Sampler from Pipesandcigars.com, and I have to say that after trying the mild Trout Stream and stronger Anniversary Kake and Larry's Blend that I keep reaching for Butternut Burley more and more. I love the spicy taste of the (burley?) and the nicotine content is a bit stronger than Trout Stream, just what I'm looking for. I've only smoked a few bowls, but plan on ordering up a pound of this and storing it away in some canning jars (this stuff is cheap too, a pound is only twenty bucks!). As for one of the reviews below, not sure I would smoke 2 oz. straight of any kind of tobacco, I prefer a 'rotation' as I see some other folks do. Do yourself a favor and get a few oz of this and add it to your 'rotation', highly recommended!

dt753 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dt753 (12)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Hands down, this is the mildest blend I have ever smoked. It behaves nicely in almost any pipe, and always burns down to a nice dry, grey ash. This is about the only blend I have ever smoked that absolutely, will not bite...no matter how hard you try.

After smoking the first pound or so, it does tend to be a bit "bland". I find that mixing in a little Altadis "Creme Brulee" or Lane Limited "Very Cherry" will liven it up a bit, though.

I would definately reccommend this to anyone looking for a great "beginner's pipe tobacco" or perhaps for an "All Day Smoke" for those of us more 'seasoned' pipers.

UPDATE: I finally found exactly how I like it: Take one pound of Butternut Burley and add 2 ounces of Lane BCA and two ounces of Altadis Creme Brulee.....aromatic nirvana!

Coffeecup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coffeecup (13)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

There's probably good burley hidden beneath all the sweetness, but I couldn't be sure. When I want a sweet tobacco, I'll reach for a Virginia. Two bowls was enough for me, but if you like sweet burley, you might enjoy this blend.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (121)

This is a very good bulk blend that pipesandcigars.com puts out. A great room note while smoking (the wife loves the aroma, which is a good thing) and it really smells great out of the bag. Very easy to light and keep lit and it leaves a nice ash at the end of the bowl. No tongue bite was even hinted at during smoking this fine blend. The nicotine content is just right for me. I will definitely getting more of this fine blend as time goes on.

jshrader13 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jshrader13 (16)

This was my second non-aromatic to try. It's not bad, but it makes me appreciate aromatics. I've also tried Tinderbox's 'Wilshire' (aka Lane's 1Q), and I'd agree with the description, that they are similar, and if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick this one. Not my favorite but it is a pleasant smoke. I will agree you can't make this one bite, no matter how fast you smoke it. The Tin Description listed above is a pretty accurate evaluation.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (55)

The good news is that the aroma is quite nice and you can't make this blend bite no matter how hard and fast you puff. The bad news is the flavor is lacking,flat and actually unpleasant to my tastes. I enjoy many of the Old Codger blends such as Carter Hall and Sugar Barrel a lot more than this. I have come to the conclusion that I like a little Virginia mixed in with my Burley. I added a good bit of McClelland's 5100 Red Cake and it made the blend much more round,interesting and satisfying.On it's own I don't much care for this.The price point is right but I think that it is better suited to use as a blending tobacco.I will not be purchasing this again.

AcworthAl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AcworthAl (20)

I find myself smoking more Virginias and Burleys?non-aromatics. 'Blue Grass Melody' from Affordable Pipes, is one of my favorites, I love the nicotine. I carry a little fabric lunch bag to work, stuffed with a few pipes and several varieties of pipe tobacco. The other morning I was rummaging through my lunch bag and found some Butternut Burley. I liked it. If you smoke burleys, do yourself a favor and try this. It is a great change of pace. It is a nice easy smoke, and it smells good.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This is a very pleasant blend but with nothing really standing out to brag about. The pouch aroma is very sweet and IMO it really needs drying out to be perfectly usable. It packs well, lights easily, stays lit well, and has an unassuming pleasant taste. It smokes to the bottom without any gurgling or harshness or hint of a bite or bad odor to the pipe. The slipstream is pleasant but almost unnoticeable (at least, no wifely complaints). There is ample nice white smoke without having to chug.

The only negative I can offer for this blend is a definite burley bitterness that lingers on the tongue well after the pipe is finished. This bitterness starts about mid-bowl and gets stronger closer to the bottom. This may be accented by a casing that I believe to be present since it is not easy to get this dried out and is somewhat sticky fresh out of the pouch.

All in all, I still recommend this for 3 stars due to the overall friendliness of the smoke.

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I ordered 4oz of this blend, The first 10 bowls that was a wonderful Aromatic and I was very happy, the next 10 bowls it was so-so, after 30th bowls things started to get complicated, there is an "oily" after taste and the casing was less than acceptable for my palate, I still have few bowls of this blend in the jar that I just can?t finish it. Finally this blend is enjoyable up to 2oz maximum, there is an obvious diminishing return eftect

Try McClelland 900-Refined Tennessee Ribbon, much better than this one.

Quick_nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quick_nick (27)

Downgraded to two stars, its boring. Half way through a bowl I wish I was smoking something else.

I'm giving BB 3 stars just because it does it's thing really well. Most aromatics try to be something they are not. BB is a good bit of burley with a tasty sweet topping. It' s not a revelation to tobacco and it's not a goat either, it's just a good sweet smoke, and it burns really cool as well.

Plex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plex (39)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Sorry, but this wasn't at all what I was expecting.

Not horribly bad, presented no issues whatsoever in preparing, packing and smoking, but didn't get the flavor rush or bowled over by it at any stage.

True, there was no tongue bite at the beginning or near the end no matter how I tried. But where is the tobacco? Where is the flavor?

Won't be getting more, but won't throw what remains away, at least not yet.

pipe dream Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe dream (11)

this is one that caught me by surprise.burns cool tastes good,stays lit,no bite,smokes all the way down to a fine ash.in my rotation now.I have been piping 48years there is never just one tobacco,this is close.it does not let you down, is consistent, an all day smoke, many are looking for. thank you pipes and cigars(habana pipes)a winner with 4 stars.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)

For smokers of Burley blends, this is a nice change of pace when you want something a bit sweeter but still want the nuttiness associated with Burley. It is monotone and without complexity, so if complexity is what you're looking for you won't find it here. It is more suited for people who are content to smoke Burley on a continual basis simply because they like it.

The blend has a very limited potential to bite. In order to get it to do so, you would have to smoke one hell of a lot of it. It's not overly wet and burns without creating a lot of moisture in your pipe. A perfect blend for the novice pipe smoker. Burley fanatics should thoroughly enjoy it.

A very nice smoke.

krumpelman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krumpelman (10)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

After all the "Butternut Burley" hype, I decided to order a few ounces to see what it was all about. I just don't get it! It's just boring. First 1/4 of bowl was enjoyable because it was so different. Very light in flavor, but I could taste the butter/pecan flavor. It isn't bad flavor, just way to mild for my tastes. Almost so mild that it is boring. I would recommend and have sent this blend to new smokers, but do not recommend to the semi-seasoned piper. At best this is a very early morning smoke, with an extremely light cup of coffee!

To the credit of this blend, It did not bite at all! I tried to get it to bite... nothing! Blend may serve as a base for a personal hybrid blend. However if you like mild blends, not much to them, this is your blend.

JC Foote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JC Foote (10)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

The good news: Burns great and leaves a pretty decent smelling room note. The bad news: two words flat and boring. If you are a fan of burleys then give it a shot and see for yourself. The taste is somewhat almond/nutty/vanilla and maybe a hint of toffee. All in all a very mild blend that didn't do anything for me and lacks any substance.

dutch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dutch (5)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

dunhill royal yacht, is one of my favorites,im talking about the one that is from the united kingdom. i only smoke this tobacco in my GBD made in england pipe.this tobacco has a lot of nicotine, so be careful,i got my royal yacht in bermuda also the GBD pipe, upon my first light, i was surprised how smooth it was. the taste is great,the flavor is and aroma was better than i expected. the room note is just fine, no complaints from the wife. i highly recommend this tobacco if you could find the one made in the UK. I give this blend three stars thank You DUTCH

Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I really like Russ and Scotty's blends but aromatics are just not for me, period. I bought a pound of Butternut Burley a year ago and still have well over half. The best I can report is that the wife likes the room note so I smoke it while begging for money to send to Bass Pro Shops. Works every time. If Scotty blended a pure burley, without the goop, I'd bet it would be great. Meanwhile, if you want a really good burley, try 'Blue Grass Melody' from Affordable Pipes.

Benjamin Button Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benjamin Button (6)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I'm glad I gave this blend another chance. I had some not so good bowls when I first received my batch a few months back. I'll chalk it up to inexperience and poor packing because I'm really enjoying this now. It's got a real smooth buttery quality to it, not overly cased so the tobacco flavor is really coming through. My experience with burley is pretty much just with heavily cased aromatics, so I won't over analyze the burley in this smoke until I have more. The room note is pleasant, slightly sweet and not offensive.

Overall, a pleasant surprise for a blend I almost gave up on!

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

There are few aromatic tobaccos which combine the taste of tobacco with natural flavorings to produce a great smoke, but this is one of them.

Butternut Burley smells delicious in its pouch (it is bought in bulk). It packs, lights, and burns easily. It never gets hot and can be puffed on without any attention.

The flavor is of almonds, bark, some slight cedar-like notes, and a mixture of chocolate/butter rum/vanilla type flavors. Its room note is wonderful.

This blend is fantastic and has earned a permanent place in my cellar. I give it three stars, because like 1Q, it is my constant companion. This isn't quite the over the top blend I like at the end of the day though. This is definitely worth your time.

CAM7411 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CAM7411 (3)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I have been searching for a blend to add to my rotational favorites. Based on the reviews here, I purchased a small quanity and after having smoked it several times over the last month or so...I feel this one may be what I have been searching for. I find this to be the tobacco I reach the most often as it is mild all round, and you really have to work at getting it to bite the tounge. Since I have only been smoking this blend a few weeks I gave it three stars, and will update this review at a later time.

Benton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benton (13)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have a 2oz. sample of Butternut Burley and I promised myself that I would finish it before I wrote a review, but this is too good to wait. Appearance - medium and dark brown rough cut ribbons, moist, and slightly sticky. Pouch aroma - light, sweet, and nutty. Flavor - very nice straight burley flavor with some sweetness. The taste is not as sweet as the aroma, which is a good thing for an everyday blend. The topping is wonderful as it goes well with the sweet casing and the slight bitterness of the burley; it reminds me of my mother's black walnut cake. As the bowl progresses, the sweetness fades and the bitterness increases, but it is not as bitter as, say, dark chocolate. Bite - this is the only completely bite-free blend for me, YMMV. Given the price, this should be compared to drugstore blends, but it is way better than almost anything you can get at the drugstore. Flaws - this blend is a little goopy straight out of the pouch, but drying it out fixes that with only a slight decrease in aroma. I found that 1 week of drying in a paper bag did the trick as long as I pack the bowl lightly.

Archangel506 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Archangel506 (5)

I gave this blend a try on a recommendation from a gentleman on one of my pipe smoking web-sites. I was very pleasantly suprised. I found this blend to be very mild with no apparent bite. I found that it packs and lights easily with no relights throughout the entire bowl. I also noted that it does not appear to be heavily cased. A extremely pleasing butter pecan taste was detected throughout the entire smoke. I preceive this to be an excellent aromatic tobacco. I would recommend this to novice pipe smoker or as an all day smoke for aromatic lovers that like a milder tobacco. I give this blend 4 stars + a bullet.

Argo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Argo (17)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

This has a few things going for it. First the good:

1)Appropriate beginners tobacco 2)Non smokers should find it pleasant 3)Pleasant butter pecan flavoring

Now the bad:

1)Unfortunately goopy 2)Absurdly mild. Hard to find tobacco taste.

I recommend packing this tighter than usual to get flavor out of it an a more even burn. This blend was meant to smell full, not taste full. If -very- mild blends disappoint you this isn't one for you. If you're an aromatic fan it's hard not to find this a decent smoke. One last thing, I suspect the composition of this involves some mixture of Lane bulk tobacco. Perhaps the bulk form of captain black blue, since that happens to be the mildest, with Lane's BLWAB or some other bulk Burley. Just my theory.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

If you like burley this one might be for you. I just like va and latakia more I guess.

Not bad, I just can't enjoy this more than once and a while. Probablly good for a newer smoker or someone who likes wetter smoking aromatics. I prefer my tobacco more on the natural side. I also think burley bites too much and too hard for someone who smokes as much as I do and as often.

If you like butter and burley it may work for you. Just be warned it will possibly give you the kind of bite that takes a day or two to go away if smoked too heavily or fast. Burley has a different ph that some people adjust to better than others. Leaves my pipe too wet for my liking also.

Irishlefty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Irishlefty (18)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I love my English/Balkan blends. I enjoy latakia and perique. It has been many years since I knowingly tried an aromatic blend so I was shocked, shocked to find that I actually like this one.

Sweet, but not sickly so. Mild but flavorful. Easy to light and keep lit. No tongue bite (and I do get bite from many tobacco's).

I couldn't believe that I liked this until I'd tried a couple of bowls in a couple of different kinds of briar pipes.

Hmmmmm. Now I have to try more aromatic blends and see if my taste has adapted or if this is an anomoly.

Stubshaft Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stubshaft (9)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I smoked 2+ pounds of this weed. It has a slightly sweet flavor that gently swirls in your mouth and surrounds your tongue. No hint of bite at all, and copious quantities of smoke.

alchemyhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alchemyhunter (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Update #2: I grow weary of this blend. It is time to upgrade that bail-top-jar to something more worthy.

Update #1: After somking this blend off and on for a year, I find myself reaching for it less and less. Still tastes fine but the complexity is lacking. I guess my tasted have matured and I have unfortunatly grown out of this monochromatic tobacco. Dont get me wrong...it is still good, its just I can find others that are better.

Another winner from Pipes and Cigars on Central Ave. I must admit I like their stuff, but I am bias...I'm a local. This tobacco is tradional looking to the eye, and the pouch aroma is excellent. I have to keep it up high so my seven year old son keeps his nose out of the canister. It benefits with some drying out, like most aromatics. It packs well, but not as good as others. And it lights well using the three match method. Stays lit very well and is low maintenance in the pipe. Burns to a nice salt-and-pepper ash. Can be wet towards the bottom, but like I have mention in other reviews I am a quick puffer. But the real reason I love this stuff is even though I am quick to puff, I simply cannot get tongue bite and it doesn't make my pipe hot...very impressive. That is not the only great quality to this blend. The taste is very smooth and buttery. I wish there was a better way to expain the flavor without being redundant, but there isn't. Monochormatic on the flavor....but who cares if the flavor changes through the bowl, just so long as it taste well throughout the smoke. The room note is one of the best of all the tobaccos I smoke, a real crowd pleaser. A great aromatic without all the hassles of one.

Devonshire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devonshire (47)

Good stuff! It tastes as advertised and burns smoothly with a great room note. To me, burley's mildness has always made the best base for an aromatic, and this blend is a case in point. This is an interesting smoke that is definitely a recommended try. The blend does suffer from a little too much moisture and a bit of tonguebite, common in many aromatics.

HongKongFooey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HongKongFooey (2)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I really liked this tobacco - at first. I began smoking it in one of the cheap Angelos I have on hand for new blends and REALLY liked it. I even bought more.

It's cased burley, thru and thru, with a flavor that reminds me of butterscotch and sometimes vanilla. Very tasty. The tobacco comes thru as well.

There's no tongue bite either, but then, I am a gentle sipper and have rarely been bitten by anything.

The room note is wonderful. I smoked this at a casino one time while playing blackjack. At the table, cigars and pipes were banned (but they still allowed vile cigarettes). I backed away to enjoy my pipe but received so many compliments from both the players and dealer that the rule was broken just for lil ol me and my pipe.

Toward the end of the bowl, bitterness develops as is sometimes common with cased burleys and here's where my difficulty with this blend emerges. It's a strong bitterness. I countered it by not smoking the last third of the bowl and that worked for a time, but the bitterness came earlier and earlier with each bowl. The pipe itself became spoiled and the bitterness is very noticeable in anything smoked in it.

I tried sweetening treatments, careful cleaning, nothing can get the bitterness out of the bowl. Could it have been the bowl itself? Possibly. I was afraid to try it in anything else, however.

My theory is that whatever is used to case this weed breaks down into a rancid, bitter chemical taste that can't be gotten out of the pipe.

Too bad.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)

After reading the rave reviews of this blend, I was somewhat disappointed in this offering.

I'm not a big fan of straight burleys, and need a fairly strong casing of good flavoring to enjoy them. Butternut Burley's casing is way too light for my palate.

There is nothing offensive about this blend. It burns and smokes cool enough. I find this one a bit boring.

2 Stars.....add a star if you're a big burley fan.

Flintlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flintlock (14)

There are not enough O's in smooth to describe this tabak! The aroma from the pouch when opened did say butterscotch, but not nearly as heavy as Trout Stream.

BB loads easily and fires up with no hassles and smoked dry all the way down without having to relight and also leaves a fine white/grey ash.

One thing I have not noticed is it becomming bitter toward the end of the bowl as a couple of reviewers have mentioned.

No tongue-bite to this tabak what so ever! A great all day smoke and has a little nicotine kick as well. It is now definately in my regular rotation.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Butternut Burley.02/03/07. No tongue bite here and nothing offensive in anyway,except for a bitterish taste if you smoke the bowl "To far down" Apart from that,it was easy to light and it stayed lit without alot of drama.Next to no goop and a pretty clean cut ash at bowls end. If your a new pipe smoker or an experienced pipester,give it a go as you'll most likely love or like it. Burley lovers are bound to love it,as its very clean cut.

kilted1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kilted1 (43)

It has now been just over a year since I first tried and reviewed this blend. I've had time to smoke it often and "study it" more and need to update this review. The original review will follow:

Butternut Burley seems a fine mixture in many ways, though perhaps not exactly an everyday smoke for me, I've learned to enjoy it from time to time.

I've come to believe that there is a fair amount of sweetened black cavendish in this mixture, the remainder I believe is air cured Burleys. I have played around some with "small batch" alterations adding various amounts of McClelland's "X-40 Burley by the Slice" to it which does seem to take the "edge" off the oiliness that I've mentioned in my original review. There There seems to be a rather large "fan base" for this mixture, but if you find as I did that the "butter" get to be too much and you've purchased a large amount of it, try mixing non flavoured or lightly flavoured Burley in it starting at about 12% by weight and it should help.

====Original Review====== Decemeber 2005

Recently, pipesandcigars.com tobaccos have been getting lots of ?press? on the ASP Forum and Newsgroup. Mostly people have been talking about Russ Oullette's efforts and several have been raving about Scotty's Blends Butternut Burley in particular.

Being a Burley fancier myself, I just had to give it a try. I hate to be a detractor among glowing reviews, but this blend had some distinctive minuses for me.

Appearance: Though the product description lists only air cured burley this looks to be about 60% dark tobaccos, 40% golden-brown. My guess is that two or more Burleys are used. It is varied in cut yet mostly medium ribbon cut.

Aroma: This mixture has a deep sweet aroma very enticing. Immediately one smells a deep hay-like quality, not of hay in neat bales stacked in the barn; rather of freshly mown hay, slowly drying in the summer sun. Deep, sharp and earthy. Carmel tones and nuts are evident, as in pecan or butternut. There is a darker scent to this as well leading me to believe that some of the leaf has been toasted in some maner.

This tobacco is nearly perfect in moisture and I employed the ?once like a baby, once like a lady, finally like a gentleman? method of layered packing.

Lighting usually is a single match affair, and with a friendly ?lighting tamp? I was well on my way each time. As expected, the initial flavor very Burley, with a thick silky mouth feel, notes of butter and nuts. Hay-like tones and smells and flavors of Autumn are abundant with deepening flavors of nuts and butter interplaying in a fascinating way. A very slight vanilla taste is also noted. Combustion is very self maintaining as promised, this very nearly smokes itself every time.

Mid Bowl: Approaching mid-bowl, the fullness tends to build the toothsome mixtures of butter, nuts and Burley develop in strength slowly along predictable lines. The slight vanilla fades quickly, being dominated by stronger flavors. The nuttiness becomes more pronounced and the initially ?simple? nuts taste evolves slowly into a pecan, butternut and walnut flavoring which is very agreeable. The butter sensations become a bit much to me unfortunately. Scotty's description on the web site is of note here: ? How is it for taste? Imagine a blend of warm butter with just a hint of vanilla and honey, then add sweet nutty overtones to round out the flavor. After the bowl is done, expect a pleasant lingering sensation on your palate with no bitterness at all.? What could be a pleasant sensation is just too dominant for me. The buttery mouth feel becomes oily and not in a good way.

Home Stretch: As end of the bowl approaches, the bowl never really changes. This blend remains consistent throughout. The final third has matured nicely with all the flavors working in deepening harmony. Unfortunately the oiliness also remains. It is a shame too, as this blend has so much else working in it's favor. It is a very cool burning consistently dry smoking mixture of fine quality Burley. It is an aromatic that works in many respects however, this oily quality just puts me off.

Supplemental Notes: I will continue to smoke this and perhaps add further notes at a later date. I'm also experimenting with adding other plain Burley to it in controlled batches to see if I can tame the oiliness. Rating for those interested in numbers **1/2 stars

CTPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTPiper (8)

I bought BB based on all the positive reviews. I was not disappointed. It smells great in the bag, burns with no issues and has a pleasant room note. Mild tongue bite if you puff too aggressively. Nice mild flavoring but you can still taste the Burley. My favorite Pipes and Cigars tobacco so far.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Ok- So I don't really like aromatics...and I don't like mild tobaccos much (flavor- not the nicotine..If it has big flavor- nicotine can be mild- The reverse is not true)....Reading the reviews this is aromatic and mild....So why did I order it..? Got me... BUT BOY AM I GLAD I DID....Didn't expect to find a blend I now know I have to have around at all times. This is a top 3 desert island smoke... Got it kinda moist...Made the mistake of trying it too soon- Bit me...D#$n! I hate that. Took a more zen perspective and let the next one dry out over night.... Buttery, and maybe scotchy? Nutty burley comes through..If this was a food item, it would be located in one of those Gourmet nut kiosks in the mall. Best in a cob. I love the stuff. A wonderful surprise...Not through my 2 oz sample- just ordered 8 oz for $16.00 plus change (including shipping) a TOTAL bargain. Praying Scotty doesn't start charging what other blenders charge for blends not as good. *Update- The unfortunate truth though, is this gets old.Sad but true. Its good, but Monotone. Has its place....

hoo-boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hoo-boy (17)

I am not going to preface this review by saying I only Smoke English Tobaccos from a secret blend developed by Willaim Shakespeare and aged in a secret vault in Buckingham Palace, costing 300 bucks an ounce. Instead I am going to say I LIKE all different types of GOOD tobaccos. (notice the word good)

So getting this of my chest... This is a good all day smoke, No bite, great for the beginning piper or to just to relax with for the rest of us. on opening the bag you will see a ribbon cut burley with a whiff of butterscotch not overwhelming but just enough to whit your appetite. upon lighting you will taste what you have been only smelling untill your light , still not overpowering the delicious taste of quality burley all the way to the bottom. Not as others said a clone, but in my opinion a stand alone blend!

The room note is very pleasent and it lights well and stays lit . If you like your burleys, I believe you will not be disapointed in this one. so give old Bill Shakespeare's blends as well as your wallet a rest and light up a bowlfull of Butternut Burley...A 3 star plus

hoo-boy

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)

This is probably the best buddy a guy can have if they're taking up the pipe. It tastes great, isn't a wimp in the strength department, and has a captivating smell right out of the box that will knock a lot of people dead. It also behaves exceedingly well when lit without any measure of difficulty through packing, lighting, and burn. I think "no hassle" best describes what I'm trying to say.

It's not what I expected, frankly. Having read innumerable ASP posts and discussions, I picked this up out of curiosity. I'm not much an aromatic buff myself, but I do enjoy experimenting. I'm not especially sure why, but I swear to have expected a cube cut burley rather than the ribbon variety. And though I'm still intrigued by a cube cut butternut, this will do. I don't plan on smoking the heck out of this blend, but it's nice to have for the friends.

I rate this against other aromatics, 1Q and LL-7 particularly. Lane must be kicking themselves for missing the secret recipe. Here it is.

F. Prefect Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
F. Prefect (24)

I have enjoyed 2 of Russ Oullette's Virginia/Perique blends for the last year or so and after reading the rather large number of posts praising this blend in ASP, I decided to give it a try.

Of course most Burley is sold in the form of highly cased blends that in most cases allows little if any tobacco flavor to be detected. Although this blend is cased (I smelled something similar to butterscotch when I first opened the bag) it is flavored only to the point the removes most of the bitterness and bite that is typically associated with Burley, yet lets the flavor of the tobacco come to the surface.

I've smoked several Burley blends in the past, but this one reaches closer to the "middle ground" between overflavoring and a Burley that will leave you with a little calling card the next morning. For anyone fond of Burley, or those just interested in a very good tasting smoke, this one is an excellent one to try.

F. Prefect

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (60)

I can't resist so-called house blends and, after reading previous reviews of this tobacco, I convinced myself to order a batch. Opening the container, one is greeted with a nice butterscotch (caramel?) aroma that neither overwhelms nor suggests the beginnings of a wet, goopy smoke. It lights easily...re-lights seldom required. Perfect moisture content, little or no bite, fine tasting burley, and an ideal light aromatic room note. As others have commented, it is a perfect all-day smoke. As soon as I suck the life out of this stuff, I will try some of the other blends created by pipesandcigars.com

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I have to disagree with the description of this blend as it is nothing like Lane's RLP-6 or 1-Q. This blend uses a higher grade of tobacco and has a taste entirely it's own.

Upon lighting and throughout the first 1/4 to 1/2 of the bowl, the flavoring used in this blend stays apparent. Some say it is of butterscotch. As the bowl progresses, the nuttiness of the burley comes through, eventually being the predominant flavor while staying pleasantly sweet. The tobacco does in fact burn to a fine ash and seldom requires a relight if properly packed.

If you're one of those that like to smoke numerous bowls during the course of a day but can't seem to find a blend that truly doesn't bite, this is your blend. I've yet to find another tobacco with less tendency to bite.

At less than $20.00 a pound plus shipping, you cannot go wrong with this fine creation by Habana Premium.

Joseph Durham Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joseph Durham (16)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

When I opened the box from http://www.pipesandcigars.com I was basically knocked down by the aroma Butternut Burley. Needless to say, I couldn?t wait to throw some into a pipe and light up.

Butternut Burley is a wonderful aromatic burley blend that doesn?t bite your tongue or overwhelm you on any level. When you open the container you are greeted with strands of some of the best tobacco that will be in your selection.

When loading the pipe you can load it tight or loose, it really doesn?t matter with this blend. The first half of the bowl is just as good as the last half. The blend really doesn?t change at all during the smoke; it?s pleasant all the way.

If you are use to getting dirty looks from people that hate the aroma of your usual blend, try smoking this out in public. . . . they?ll love it.

Pipeing Joe ______(_)

RJay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RJay (3)

I can't add much to what has already been said here. A quality aromatic. It's true, it doesn't bite or get real hot even if you puff hard, and it has a nice room note. For me, though, the flavor was just too monochromatic, and I'm not planning on keeping it in my regular rotation.

OPCElder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCElder (24)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I love Burley! If you like aromatics you will love this! If you aren't a fan of aromatics you probably will love this, too. This stuff absolutely will not bite. It comes a bit moist and does better when dried out a bit. The flavor is good, the room note exceptional. This is my inside smoke. I love it.

ToboldHornblower Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ToboldHornblower (15)

I smoke many blends, aromatic and nonaromatic alike. This is an excellent aromatic at a great price. Burns to a fine ash and does not bite. A good all day smoke with a pleasant aroma. Much better (imho) than the Lane offerings to which it is compared. Highly recommended especially for beginners.

Maverick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maverick (7)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Alright, I'll begin by saying that I do not normally smoke aromatics. I'm a Latakia man, and don't need anything "artificial" with my smoke. Just give me a good English or Balkan, and leave me alone for an hour or so. That said, let me state that Butternut Burley is one of my favorite blends. From pouch to bottom of bowl, it consistently surpasses my every expectation. It is one FINE Burley. There are two traits of this tobacco which I really appreciate, in addition to its' wonderful flavor: 1). The room note is outstanding. This is the tobacco I reach for when I am going to be around others. It's a rare day when I light it up in public and don't receive a compliment. "Wow, what IS that ?!? It sure smells GOOD" !! or "That smells wonderful. It reminds me of my grandpa (or uncle, or dad, or...). I really miss the smell of a pipe...". 2). This tobacco is so easy to smoke that it almost packs the bowl for you and lights itself. Fast, slow, or anywhere in between, it always delivers a cool, dry smoke, and stays lit all the way through the bowl. Because of the above characteristics, I often smoke this blend when I am going to be around others and engaged in doing something that keeps me from focusing 100% on my pipe, like playing golf or fishing. Even if you don't normally like aromatics, I would recommend this blend to you. Four stars, unhesitatingly.

P.S. I should mention that given its' price, Butternut Burley is one of the best values in all of briardom.

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Well-behaved aromatic with lovely, natural flavor and quality components.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

Better than most other burley blends I've tried. Unlike the raisiny Wilke Nut Brown Burley, this doesn't razor the tongue or palate. It's a bit butterscotchy, smooth and creamy and light for a dressed aromatic. Not a regular, but something for when sweet revenge is in order.

One week later: better than I thought. Really enjoying this stuff; a very fine burley with a pleasing bouquet. I'm improving my rating on this one.

Three of five stars

Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

A very good aromatic. I will purchase it again in the future. One taste,one rate of burn, and always well behaved. It doesn't bite and satisfies a sweet tooth nicely. Not just a vanilla cased goopy mixture. It actually has a nutty quality to it.This has no buttery taste and no buttery mouthfeel.It is just a very pleasing and quality aromatic. It could almost be a Pipeworks at Wilke mixture. It is that good. Try it for a change.

wordmerchant Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wordmerchant (16)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Having only entered into the world of pipe smoking (yes, virgin smoker here at the prime age of 48, no cigarette or cigar had ever crossed my lips), I read the reviews posted here, in search of a mild tobacco. After a two dozen pipefills and countless, languid puffs, I have crossed the threshold and have taken those first inquisitive steps into the world of Burley.

I have since tried two other Burely blends from other makers and it is Butternut Burley that I always return to. It provides the smoking experience that satisfies this mans? palate: soft flavouring, nuanced with glimpses of organic fields under a mid-west October sun and toasted nut; it?s a relaxing smoke, a tobacco that mellows an active mind and wraps you in organic comfort. I highly recommend it to those just starting out as it smokes very gently and it offers a sweet, non-offensive room note. My Lady Love enjoys a puff herself, often following up with a blissful kiss. I?ve just placed another order from pipesandcigars.com (Look under Bulk Tobacco/Scotty?s blends). To me, this is like comfort food cooked in briar.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (79)

At first, I really thought this was a Lane bulk, or combination of Lane bulks, because of the taste. It is very similar in taste and strength to 1q or rlp6, but then one begins to notice a more natural burley smoke, with similarities to some other highly regarded Burley blends, with a nutty, buttery taste, and a well defined "burley zone".

It's not all burley I don't think, I can see a very dark or black component that must be Cavendish (or burley cavendish). However, for me, the strength just isn't enough, but I can see a lot of people liking this for many reasons: lack of bite, aroma, sweetness, and excellent burning qualities for an aromatic (better than the mentioned Lane bulks). It's an aromatic but not a powerfully cased one. It's not totally punching my ticket yet but I do think I'll keep it on hand.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (44)

This a great burley blend when I open the pouch I smell butternut squash and pumkinbread when I light this baby up. The wife likes the smell and the room note is very pleasant. Pipe and cigars is hitting homeruns with their blends , I look forward to trying more recipes.

Tony B Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tony B (8)

Butternut Burley from Pipesandcigars.com is a mild and sweet tobacco with no tongue bite. I found Butternut Burley to light easily with no gurgle. In my opinion its one of the best aromatics around

traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
traveler (40)
Very Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is a sweet, reasonably full-tasting aromatic that I enjoy in the morning. But after nearly a year of smoking it on a regular basis, I seem to go to this less often. It just seems too predictable, like having the same meal day after day-- which gets... well... boring. I do not have this reaction with other blends I smoke on a regular basis, even similar ones like Lanes LL-7.

Still, BB is one of the best sweet aromatics around.

Bassopotamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bassopotamus (4)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This has been the IT tobak of ASP for the fall and winter it seems, so I ordered up a sample. First impressions- exceedingly moist and a little sticky. Sweet smelling. Despite the moisture, it lights easily and doesn't gurgle or bite. AS for the flavor, it has gradually grown on me, but it seems to really need to be smoked slowly to get any flavor out of it. Not a bad tobacco, but to me, not worth the buzz. It beats 1q as an aromatic, but I still prefer autumn evening.

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

This is a decent heavily cased, cavendish-based, goopy aromatic. And it IS goopy and heavily cased. It will leave a sticky residue in your pipe and a sticky feeling on your fingers. But it beats the hell out of Captain Black and is cheap to boot. So if vanilla-flavored aromatics are your thing, give this one a try.

Adguru Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adguru (20)
Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Best burley I have ever experienced. When someone says "I'm thinking about trying the pipe, what tobacco would you suggest I try." This will be the blend I recommend. Deserves a better name, like Back Porch.

pipe dreams Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe dreams (15)

One of the better burning aromatics to be found, with a wonderful buttery flavor that can be smoked all day. The highest marks for cost, taste and quality to this one, with an added bonus of it being a wonderful tobacco to break a pipe in with (burley) Grab the largest bowl You can and fire this aromatic up (that acts nothing like an aromatic) You won't be disapointed.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (127)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

This is an excellent burley blend. The aromatic casing tastes like butterscotch and is applied very lightly. It burns beautifully to a fine ash and does so without getting hot or biting at all. No gurgle or bitterness. The wonderful butterscotch flavor lasts to the bottom of the bowl. I've never tasted anything quite like it. The aroma is light and inoffensive. For those looking for a great all day burley blend, this is it!

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (161)

Don?t be misled by the name of this blend. It does not contain a butter flavoring. A butternut is a tree in the walnut family and, as an aside, butternut was the color of (most) Confederate uniforms in the U.S. Civil War as they were dyed with butternut extract.

Butternut Burley does not contain a butter flavoring but it is as SMOOTH as warm butter. This is a great aromatic I enjoyed from the very first puff. I agree wholeheartedly with all of the previous, positive comments: no bite, pleasant aroma, great burning qualities and with a nice, nutty sweetness. And maybe it?s just me but I think I detected just a subtle hint of a liquer flavor, perhaps hazlenut, which added to the enjoyment of this blend. I have been favorably impressed with all of the P&C blends I have tried.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 9.5 out of 10.

Sojang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sojang (13)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I second all the good reviews below. Packs well, stays lit and is very smooth. No bite even when puffed hard. I am adding this to my standard rotation. And at a price that is very nice.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

Butternut Burley to me is like an improved version of Burley Light Without Bite. Through the first 2/3 of the bowl it has a nutty pecan-like flavor, with a sweet overtone that is really flavorful to my taste buds. The final 1/3 reverts more to the standard burley flavor, with a slight sweet undertone. Although its' description implies that this blend "simply refuses to go out", I found that not to be the case. For me, it took an average amount of relights, although I'll admit never having been able to get those one match smokes that a lot of pipesters talk about. It burns down to a dry ash, leaving the bottom of your bowl dry. I smoked Butternut Burley in several pipes; a medium Peterson billiard, another medium bulldog Pete, a large bent Boswell, and an extra-large Lannes Johnson billiard, which seemed to have a particular affinity for this blend. It was a good smoke in all of them. The final quality of this tobacco that I should mention is its' price. A pound costs less than $20 from http://www.pipesandcigars.com. That's an outstanding value for a high quality pipe tobacco. Final scores? Flavor- 8 out of 10, lighting and burn rate-7 out of 10, price- 9 out of 10. That averages out to an 8 score and a "highly recommended" rating for Butternut Burley.

CantTest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CantTest (14)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

If I had started with this tobacco thirty years ago when I first began attempting to become a pipe smoker, I would have fell in love with the briar from the first puff. I think this is one of the finest burleys I've smoked and a high recommendation for this one for beginners.

Not that Butternut Burley wouldn't be an absolute pleasure for the old timers out there--it would--but it has NO bite, stays lit, and smells like a pipe tobacco is supposed to smell, the ultimate in a good start for those lighting their first pipe.

My wife loves the room note and says, "You haven't smoked that one I like in awhile," every time I go a few nights without a bowl of this lovely blend. So if you are a burley smoker, try this one. I don't think you'll be sorry.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

I love Burley and this blend is the only cased burley I have ever truly enjoyed. The intense buttery flavor really enhances the burely's sweetness and nuttiness. The big thing for me is that even though this is cased with somekind of "butter" the burley's natural flavor comes through. This blend has no tounge bite and is very well behaved in all size pipes, packs and lights easy and burns slow, cool, even and clean to the bottom of the bowl into a fine gray ash.

Burley fanciers will love this one. Even those who don't care for burely may like this fine blend. At bulk prices, this is a real treat in all aspects!

Postie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Postie (9)

I love this blend, a lot. I can't add much more than that, I keep this on hand all the time in a carry pouch when I go out, and in my largest humidor.