An aromatic burley blend with no bite and a very pleasant room note.

BrandTinder Box
Blended ByLane Limited
ContentsBurley, Cavendish
Strength
Taste

2.3
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

As this is Lane's BLWB, I'm posting that review for this blend.

No complexity to speak of, besides the molasses and brown sugar sweetness and a little nuttiness. If it does have a coconut topping, the coconut is very mild. I didn't notice a change in the flavor from beginning to end. It burned well, though a little moist, and no bite as the name suggests. A little too light for my personal taste, but I did enjoy it. I'd grade it as a pretty decent OTC because it fits that mold, and I think it was purposely designed that way. A work and play smoke when you just want a pleasant tasting burley that you don't have to think about much. Probably deserves another half star.

mtitus83 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mtitus83 (7)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

Man, im gonna be harsh with this one, it was terrible. I really sat here and wanted to give this a good review however I can't find it in my heart to do so, maybe its just me. This had almost no taste or flavor and tasted probably about as good as if I actually ate the tobaccco itself. It had a very dry and almost grill smoke like taste that just kept getting stronger and less and less pleasent as I went along. Long story short, its not for me and I would not suggest this to anyone. Sorry.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Omega (Briar)

Purchased From: J&R Cigar Outlet; Selma NC, USA

Fartytowelz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fartytowelz (3)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

If I was a child hiding out behind the shed and trying out Grandpa's pipe for the first time, this would be the ideal mix. This was a lot like smoking steam...the flavor was just nonexistent. The only reason I'm "somewhat recommending" this is the wonderful room-note. It makes great incense but a lousy smoke!

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This mild Burley burns well, tastes nice, and smells great,like toasted coconut (to me anyway!). It is very inexpensive, and as with many of Lane's blends, can serve as potpourri for your sock drawer.

It does burn fast,and it can finish wet, so a slow, gentle puffing cadence is best. I find it to be pleasant, but I like my Burley to have more depth and nuttiness than the sweetness this has.

An American tobacco shop classic.

Mephisto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mephisto (32)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this as a perhaps better alternative to an all day Carter Hall and did not find it to be so. It is exactly what you would expect but not better and I would say flatter than CH. So while OK for sure not the alternative I was looking for. If going fishing all day I would still stick with the CH. But if you want very mile it may be perfect. She does bite if you push her. Also tends to get a bit bitter in the second half.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

If your looking for a tobacco with no surprises this is it. Light flavor and very mild you could use it to break the cycle when your on a binge of heavier blends.

Tairusu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tairusu (4)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my first pipe tobacco, and as such I have sentimental memories of it. It was a great first smoke, simply because it let me experiment with my packing technique, my smoking pace and any number of other skills that needed to be honed and it never left me with tongue bite. My only complaint is that it's very run of the mill, and now that I've experimented with so many other wonderful blends, I find it highly unlikely that I will ever come back to Burley Light. While it's great for a beginner, it's very easy to out grow this blend.

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (32)

Everyday good burley smoke much better than drugstore burley smoke

briarfox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
briarfox (2)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This is an extremely mild tobacco. It has an aroma of Cake.

There is no depth to this tobacco, no real taste. It's just a basic burly blend. I usually give this to first time pipe smokers. I have yet to have it bite, even when smoked hot.

PipeSmoker45ACP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeSmoker45ACP (11)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

No bite...not much to taste....not much else to say. Might use it for blending.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I remember my Father's reaction to this blend's name, '. . without a bite, that means it does.' He was right. This bit me, because I was drawing very hard in search of flavor and nicotine; two things this burley has none of. This blend is burley waiting for a casing. From this and Prince Albert, I learned I don't have much lust for straight burley. It is good for what it is, though.(maybe a good blender burley) Just not for me.

Side note. . I bought at the same time BLWB and a couple oz.'s of Tinderbox's Nut and Honey. Seems to me to be BLWB with a fairly strong, not too sweet nut flavor. it's rather good as aromatics go, if weak. I mention this here because I don't see it listed anywhere under T-box or Lane. happy smoke---

obxemt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
obxemt (26)

This would be a great smoke for someone who wants something plain that tastes and smells great without flavoring additives. I let it air dry a bit before smoking and had no issues with wet-ness after that. Easy to light and keep lit, it is a nice mild "standby" when you want something light but you're not sure what. Since I'm becoming less of an aromatic fan with each passing blend, I blended this (about 60/40) with a vanilla cavendish that I would never again smoke "plain" and the result was wonderful.

Because I do enjoy a pure burley tobacco every now and then, I recently smoked a couple of bowls of this stuff that I stole (with permission, of course) from a friend's pouch. Yep, my suspiscions were correct, this is Lane's Burley Light re-named by the Tinderbox chain. This tobacco was used a few years ago at my pipe club's slow-smoking contest and the winner kept it going in a Peterson for almost an hour and a quarter. So, I suppose that means it stays lit well. I tasted an upscale Prince Albert with perhaps a smidgen more flavoring. This burley tobacco was about an 7 on a scale of 10 as far as burley taste goes. (I give PA a 4). It was not particularly impressive, but it sure was pleasant enough in one of my smaller straight billiards.

If you are a burley lover and don't want to spend an arm and a leg for a smoke, then here you go.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

This tobacco is Tinderbox's version of Lane's Burley Light Without a Bite. It is a cube cut, with an attractive bright brown color. The pouch aroma is very sweet, too much so for my tastes, although I have a feeling dedicated aromatic smokers would feel differently. The moisture level is too high, and causes wet smoking and too much leftover dottle if not dried out a bit. I left the lid open overnight on my bail jar and it helped a lot. Lighting is a little harder than average, and the number of relights tends to be higher, even after overnight drying. The taste reflects more of the cavendish content than the burley, and the casing is evident. It has a sweet overtone and not as much nuttiness. As a tobacco, I would classify it more as an aromatic than a burley. I'm giving it a "recommended" rating because it is pretty good as such, and would make a good crossover blend for smokers of aromatics looking for an introduction to a burley blend. As an aside, I should also mention that if you buy this as BLWB, you can find some very good buys on this on the internet. I've seen it for less than $20/lb. (without shipping, of course).