The correct marriage of Virginia, Latakia, and Turkish tobaccos accounts for the robust flavors of this classic blend. Medium flavored and cool smoking.

BrandTinder Box

2.3
CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (136)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Good, basic blend combination in the light English genre. Latakia hangs in through the bowl, but at times the Oreiental influence pokes through. At times the flavors are muddled, but sipping at these points allows the components to seperate out a bit (oftentimes the case, in general). Solid smoking experience, stays lit on one good light, post char. 3*.

Pipe Used: Italian basket pipe

Purchased From: Tinder Box, Mishawaka, IN

The Major Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Major (3)

This is one of the ingredients that I call my 'main smoke'. I blend this with another Tinder Box product--Black Cavendish. I find the mildness of the black cav really suits this tobacco. Things I really like about Sherlock's choice is the smoky latakia. It reminds me of smoking a glass of lslay scotch (and the flavors compliment, i assure you). I'm not a big fan of 'extra strong' tobaccos. i don't want spinning rooms after puffing a bowl. So for me, this is a nice all-day smoke for any weather and occasion. I've smoked it for years with the Black Cav mix. i hope you enjoy it as well!

Pipe Used: Peterson Sherlock Holmes

Purchased From: Tinder Box

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (36)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

When on the road I like to try local shops and so, while a chain, a Tinderbox was on my way. Not bad, not good. A light english blend, Smokes evenly. Latakia and a bit of spicyness throught the whole bowl. I found in this, and another Tinderbox blend, a few more stems than I am used to among the leaves, otherwise no complaints. I would not go out of my to buy it, but I will happily smoke it till gone. It is great for breaking in some Latakia dedicated pipes I have been meaning to smoke. If you have a choice of Tinderbox or OTC, go Tinderbox.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

The Virginia is grassy and citrus sweet. It forms the base of the blend. The Cyprian latakia is smoky, woody sweet in a support role. The Oriental/Turkish is woody and dry, with a touch of spice in the background. All the components work well together and are not overwhelmed by the latakia. Has a mild nic-hit. Won't bite or get harsh. It burns clean, cool, and dry with a consistent flavor all the way through. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a pleasant after taste. It may not be as complex in taste as some other blends on the market, but it stands well enough on its own as an enjoyable all day smoke for an experienced smoker or one who's trying English blends for the first time. Tastes the same to me now as it did when I first tried it back in the mid-1970s.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Comparing this to blends like Squadron Leader, Penzance, Dunhill 965 etc is doing this fine blend a disservice. The truth is that it does not try to be like those other mixtures. It wasn't blended to replace Balkan Sobranie or Red Rapparee or London Mixture (to pick blends that are more contemporary to this one); it was blended to fill a specific niche - that of a very mild English made for aromatic smokers who wanted to try something different. This was developed to be as much like Penzance as the Tinder Box's cherry blend is to Gawiths Sweet Cherry Twist tobacco. One blend uses cherry as its overall presentation and one just wants a slight sweetener.

My only comparison product is McClellands Frogmorton On The Town. Not because they taste alike - not at all! But they both possess a light latakia leaf with a somewhat creamy blend flavor... something that smokes easily and is mild. This has less overall flavor than FOTT, and I think less latakia flavor was the whole point when Lane blended it originally. It's a soft, round, piquant taste rather than a balkan powerhouse. Complex? No way! Flavor development down the bowl? Nope. Destined for the Tobacco Hall of Fame? Nuh-uh. But if you want a taste of latakia in a smooth blend rather than to have the latakia rule, try this one.

And if you want to move up the flavor chain from here, two words: Squadron Leader.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (91)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

As previous reviewers have noted the is, "a good all-day smoke". I find this somewhat ironic because I've never been fond of Lane Tobaccos...much less those that are sold to chain tobacco shops. I do like Tinder Box's Special Blend occasionally as well and may review that later.

This bulk blend is not as "round", soft, and striking as many other English type blends available but there is something about this blend that offers some intrique... not quite sure what it is though. A subtle taste and aroma of very light chocolate mingled with a smokey wood stove smell and a rather nice flavor that stays with you through the entire bowl.

Not a blend I would stick with regularly but certainly one I will continue to buy and smoke as a break from my usual Virginia Plugs and Flakes. Nor will it replace the Balkan Flakes I enjoy. An interesting smoke and one that I would recommend without any reservation.

I smoked the majority of this blend in a 1968 dunhill, group 4, tapered stem, rusticated bulldog.

Of note... I never found anything resembling broken flake in this blend... only thin ribbons of the tobaccos present.

curttuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
curttuck (12)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

This tobacco isn't that great. I find it to be a bit too acrid and bitter and I really don't like bitter things. A little rough around the edges. Not super complex.

Pipe Used: Paronelli 53 Briarwood

Purchased From: Tinderbox

funkybob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
funkybob (1)
Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

Purchased an ounce to sample from the Tinder Box in Collierville,Tn. As soon as I lit I was immediately overwhelmed with a strong chemical flavor with a matching aroma. There was obviously some sort of contamination possibly from a cleaning chemical or air freshener. Odd seeing as I have never experienced that from any of their other tobaccos.

radioisotope Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
radioisotope (17)

When I first started smoking this tobacco was my adventure into english blends. At the time I thought this tobacco was great. Now that I've been smoking high quality english blends like C&D Star of the East and others, Sherlocks is mediocre. Wheres the Latakia? Its not horrible just that I've been spoiled. I guess its a good mild transition blend to stronger english blends. I just think for the money you can get some better bulk blends.

gungfu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gungfu (2)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my everyday smoke. No bite, you can smoke bowl after bowl without worrying of toung bite. Slightly chocolaty, like light coffee. Smokes really well. You can pack it light or tight. I seem to have no problem to keeping it lit. Usually only takes me two matches. Good for long drives don't have to worry about relighting while I'm driving.

Hiram Briar 23 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hiram Briar 23 (12)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Mild across the board. Not entirely sure i want to toy with tinderbox tobacco after this one. Sampled a bowl at tinderbox with my pipe heavily caked with another tobacco and was tricked into thinking this blend was comparable. Not sure how i missed that one. It was my own undoing. Three pipes later and I realized my mistake. It is cheap though so if your looking to save some green tinderbox is better than prince albert and about the same price.

Miyanovich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Miyanovich (13)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

The more that I smoke Sherlock, the better he gets. I find the balance between the VA, the Latakia, and the Turkish to be perfect. The Latakia is what makes this blend happen for me - it's at a perfect level. I happen to like moist, flavor filled English blends. I don't mind relights. It takes a few extra matches for me, sometimes, to get Sherlock rolling. But once he's going, he's a solid, smoke filled, long lasting smoke. I refuse to smoke indoors, and certainly would never smoke around non-smokers. However, I would not recommend Sherlock for his room note.

Meisterlowin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meisterlowin (16)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a tolerable blend. There is nothing terribly exciting or offensive about it and I could continue to smoke it. My three stars are really two and a half.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This deems more of a crossover "English", and I use "English" only as I think that is what it tries to be.

This is not really a fair review because I dislike crossovers generally and did not finish my first bowl fully. For myself, I'd give this a lone star, but others might like it more - hence two.

Big Blue Jazzman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Blue Jazzman (47)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Sherlock's was one of the first English blends I smoked. Not a bad blend, just not much happens when you smoke it. Lights ok, burns ok, and tastes ok. However, there are just too many good English blends out there to spend your hard earned money on this one. If you like Tinderbox, and I do, try the blend they have called Special.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

All anyone of my relative age need do to rate the traditionally-named Tinder Box blends is to pop into a Tinder Box today. As the old joke says, "Nostalgia ain't what it used to be."

Neither are Tinder Box blends. No way; no how, no, sir!

This is not to say, categorrically, that tobaccos of 2007 that bear the same names as those of 1977 are much-the less---but, so help me....THEY ARE!!!!!!!!

Tinder Box's "Sherlock's Choice" has always been made by Lane, Ltd. But for those who remember Lane in its salad days....'tis a lesser world, indeed. I discovered Tinder Box tobaccos in 1976...and there ain't no sunshine three-decades later.

Sherlock's Choice has a scrumptious aroma in the pouch, reminding one more of Smokers' Haven's "20th Anniversary" than Esoterica's "And So To Bed." Regretably, it delivers neither at the match. In fact, it delivers NOTHING at the match except a decent, smokable tobacco.

Why two stars? Because I could finish the bowl; no other reason.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Simple, easy English; good value for the money, but fails to excite. This is, as others have said an all day blend. Not my cup of tea, but bland English tobacco's rarely are.