Light flake. Similar to Dunhill Light Flake.

Notes: Blended for IRC By Orlik/ Peter Stokkebye per the gentlemen at the Iwan Ries Store

BrandIwan Ries
Blended ByOrlik
Strength
Taste

3.6
Lowland Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lowland Piper (12)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't give out 4 stars easily. I think this one really deserves it though in the VA flake category.

I really enjoyed the old Dunhill Light Flake and recently bought a couple ounces of this to try. In my opinion, IRC VA Flake is closer to that old blend than the current Dunhill Flake. Dunhill Flake is great tobacco too, but I think it is a lot different now in the new incarnation -- more medium and not as "light."

IRC VA Flake has a touch of topping that just smells so yummy. It's not strong, just a touch to add to the pleasure of the experience, especially while preparing the pipe and during the first part of the smoke.

IRC VA Flake is in large slices you can pull apart to the desired amount. I enjoy seeing my flake tobacco in intact slices instead of broken flake. The tobacco has a light, straight-forward VA tobacco flavor with mild sweetness. It's good and flavorful from start to finish. The smell reminds of fig newton cookies in the pouch. It also burns really nice and even with a little drying before hand.

nitekrawlr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nitekrawlr (26)

Can't believe no one has reviewed this in almost 2 years. Anyway, as I work in downtown Chicago Iwan Ries is my go to place for anything pipe related. This is a great medium strength Virginia Flake and just picked up a fresh pouch today. For $6.90 for a 1.5 oz. pouch the price can't be beat. If you like Virginia Flake, don't pass on this one.

yinyang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yinyang (45)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

IRC's VA Flake has been compared to the old Light Flake Dunhill marketed up until a couple years ago. While I've not had that particular incarnation, I have smoked through a pound of the new 'Flake' version. From a reliable source, the word I've heard is that Light Flake has a smidge more top note noticeable when smoked, as compared to the newer Flake. With that in mind, I can imagine that this IRC VA is indeed similar to the Murray's mix.

What does this mean?

Nothing really, I guess.

That said, I thoroughly enjoy IRC's Flake. Comparing it to DH Flake, (a benchmark favorite of mine), I notice a bit of a top note...a Danish influence of subtle proportions. DH Flake is more natural tasting, albeit by a minor degree. My memory is suspect, but I think if I mixed DH Flake and PS's Luxury Twist Flake in a 4:1 ratio or so, I could approximate IRC's Flake VA. (I wouldn't, but it may give someone an idea of what this is like).

I could easily be 'forced' into this being my 'desert island' blend, if need be. Not quite as good as Dunhill, but good enough. I reckon with cost a factor, though, it's even better.

Don't overlook this one, boys and girls.

Four stars.

HokieGeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HokieGeek (23)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Excellent! This is the first straight Virginia I've smoked, and it was wonderful and delicious. The note of the flake in the IRC bag was intoxicating and really excited me to this tobacco. The smoke was smooth, had this sweet taste to it and never once had any bite. I am buying a pound of this and aging it. I can't wait to keep smoking this for the next few years!

char builder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
char builder (3)

Went to Iwan Ries to get a tin of Hal O' the Wynd, because I wanted to try a straight virginia. I did not want to purchase a 100g tin for around $50 because I wasn't sure I'd like it. I talked to one of the friendly folks at Iwan Reis and he recomended I try 2oz of IRC Virginia Flake, their "house straight virginia". I am very glad I did. This tobacco is a mix of dark to bright virginias and everything in between, orange and lemon are plentiful. This blend is a virginia and therefore requires slow smoking. If smoked properly, this blend rewards you with a multitude of tastes and sweet virginia flavor throughout the bowl. Next time I get to Iwan Ries I'm buying a pound for aging and a 1/2 pound for smoking.

Vladlon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vladlon (6)

I've sampled this tobacco by recommendation of more skillful pipe- smokers than i am and.....not impressed so much that they are....the tobacco is very sensitive to the rhythm or let me say to velocity of smoking....when you are little bit speed up - a taste is gone...maybe it's more suite for experienced smokers...go figure:(

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (56)

a good VA. Fully rubbed in your dedicated VA pipe it will not stray from what VA smokers enjoy. burns clean, and develops through the bowl. Once in the zone, might pick up hints of citrus, and that good ole' VA essence.... No bite, and burns on its' own when fully rubbed. this is good tobacco and should not take any less than a four star since is a pure VA flake that represents... it isn't unique or special, but it is worth smoking, and if this is all there is to pipe tobacco, I wouldn't complain.

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (36)

Smooth virginia tobacco taste. Nothing fancy. If you're a no-nonsense smoker looking for a good old straight and satisfying virginia flake for a reasonable price, look no further...

My sample has a minty smell in the bag; like tic-tacs, and this put me off at first, but I can't detect the scent once the tobacco is lit-it's just a good bulk natural Virginia flake. The burning qualities seem a little uneven, but that's no big deal. Simple, plain Virginia along the lines of Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. Good price in bulk as well.

1-23-10 I had been using this mainly for blending, but tonight, after a steak dinner and a cheap yet tasty bottle of South African wine, decided to pack up my Savinelli Capri with this blend for the last pipe (?) of the night. Aging in a jar for a year has treated this flake well. The first third of the bowl showed up this tobacco's weaknesses: uneven burn, hard to get lit. Granted, I did not rub it out. But then it really opened up. The Savinelli is not a big pipe, but the bowl smoked for a solid hour. In the "home stretch," I was getting a sublime pure Virginia taste from small sips. I had been pushing the pipe harder earlier on, yet despite this abuse, I experienced no bite and the pipe did not overheat. At the end, I was treated to pure Virginia nirvana; it is the only tobacco that makes you want to smoke the ashes! Speaking of ashes, this tobacco does not seem to leave much in the way of ashes. Therefore, with all due pomp and circumstance, I give to you, IRC flake, your fourth and final star.

1-24-11 Back to three stars. I must have been pretty drunk that night. I'm not saying it's bad, just does not make that level of four-star tobacco. Like, would I put this on the level of FVF or Escudo? Has a strange smell as it ages, almost like fish or the beach, but it is not offensive, and this is still a good smoke.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (39)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This review is based on IRC Virginian Flake and not IRC Slices; the latter is listed as containing perique.

Well this is a great Virginian flake and quite similar to Dunhills Light Flake in many aspects. The pouch aroma, the rub result, the smoking quality and the flavor are quite close. Exact? Maybe not, but that sweet Virginian tang is there and that aroma, delightful. Fully rubbed and allowed to lightly dry and this stuff smokes itself, leaving me satisfied. If there is a topping it is not burdensome, never crowding the tobacco, but rather supporting the smoke. It softly strengthens as the bowl progresses. Some may say this smoke is one dimensional, that its uninteresting, but the old familiar isnt a bad thing. I cannot not imagine a time or place that I would find this tobacco unappealing. Ive been sampling a lot of Virginians, and maybe one out of ten had me pining for more, this stuff has me hooked.

Edit: 7/6/09 More nicotene than I expected, but nice. And I can't say there is no Perique, again, not a bad thing. This may not have dazzeling tin art or boutique glamour, but it is really, really good.

hillbillypalate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hillbillypalate (20)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

My review is on IRC Flake(comes in a Navy Flake). Its far one of the best Bulk Flakes in the Market. Its a Virginia with just a right amount of Perique. very mild smoke and great especially for a summer smoke I think this better than their Virginia Flake. Absolutley great Va/Per Blend. Good price point also.

AcworthAl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AcworthAl (20)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

IRC?s Virginia Flake is the first flake I have smoked. I purchased some after reading other reviews here. As it is a flake, it is a bit more work to get smoke ready, but it is really well worth the effort. This is magnificent and the taste is astounding. IRC?s Virginia Flake is now one of my favorites.

4-09-09 Update. This stuff smokes for days. Yesterday I loaded my pipe for the hour drive home; it was a Savinelli Antique Shell (a $40.00 pipe with a balsa filter). I lit the pipe at 4PM; I finally dumped out a little bit of ash at 6PM. I am not kidding a 2-hour smoke, had to relight twice.

Outstanding Virginia, one of the best out there. The large flakes are a pleasure to see, smell and handle. The only similarity with Dunhill Light Flake lies in their color (not in the size or smell, and certainly not in the taste). If we had to compare it, I'd put it next to Capstan Medium (next and above). Same tanginess, similar hay taste, a bit more sweet and with more depth.

Highly recommended.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (34)

IRC's Virginia Flake has a bright, racy Virginia taste with good volume and a fair nicotine hit. It is redolent of musty new-mown hay. An untoasted tobacco, it is slightly sweet, as from golden honey, and mildly tangy, as from the zest of a citrus rind. But mainly, it's just good old Virginia tobacco taste that gets toastier as you smoke it.

It makes a good all day smoke because it smokes dryly, is mellow and refreshing to the palate, and is well behaved in the bowl whether folded or rubbed. It folds compliantly for stuffing in a bowl -- that's the way I handle it. But it rubs-out wonderfully if that's what you prefer. I get best results in a briar with a small diameter bowl, but it's great to sip from a gourd calabash too.

DBCooper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DBCooper (9)

IRC VF is a very good mild Virginia. It is easy to smoke. I cut the long flakes into ¾? pieces and rub it out and pack the bowl loosely, packing the tobacco with a match stick. My flakes were nice and dry out of the bag and crumbled easily. VF is easy to light and smoked well to the bottom of the bowl. You?ve got to smoke gently or it can bite.! I think it is all flue cured Virginia which generates, in my opinion, a very pleasant, classic, tobacco taste. I detected no flavoring at all. This is a blend I can smoke bowl after bowl. At home I like to smoke several blends during a day, but If I?m going to be away all day, IRC VF is the blend I?ll cut and put in the pouch. Since VF is pretty inexpensive for a quality blend, it a good choice for an all day smoke.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Unfortunately, IRC Virginia Flake burned hot to me. I enjoyed the flavor to some extent, but prefer my Virginias to be a bit more sweet and this one had a tartness that I was not particularly enamored with.

I received this as a gift that came in one of those patented IRC "Perma Fresh" pouches. The flakes are long and just one rubbed out strip filled a group-4 sized bowl. I smoked very slowly in an attempt to keep the heat down, but just couldn't do so successfully.

This one does have a dose of strength, which I did enjoy. Still, just too rough around the edges and not sweet enough for this cowboy.

Eric Cioe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eric Cioe (20)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

When I went to Iwan Ries asking for a flake to try and get used to the technique, this is what they gave me. I like this blend quite a bit, though I don't like the size of the slices compared to the small stuff in tins (Peterson's, Penzanze, whatever) - makes for more prep work before you smoke. I find most flakes best when not rubbed out at all; I usually just fold one of them in thirds and stuff that into my pipe. With this cut, that just isn't practical.

Anyway, this blend is a good light VA. If you don't go into it expecting something it isn't (which was hard for me when I got it a year and a half ago, as I was mostly smoking Balkans then), then you will probably be pleasantly surprised.

Recommended, and probably something I'll buy again once I get done experimenting with some others. This could be a light flake of choice, but I'm not convinced just yet that this is the best.

lisztman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lisztman (15)

A confirmed Virginia smoker, I'm on the search for something with a tad less room note than my former mainstay (my beloved no longer complains about the house, but avoids the garage). I've become enamored of Orlik's Golden Slices, but tried the IRC Slices if for no other reason than the pricing -- about half the cost of OGS. The IRC arrives in a metallized cigar pouch -- ensuring freshness. A continuous strip about 7-8" long, I scissors it down to about 2-3 inches and drop it in my pouch. It rubs out as easily as any other flake. Not quite as easy to light (or keep lit) as the OGS, but not troublesome. Self-extinguishes nicely once you stop drawing on it, which is convenient for those of us who have to dash outside during the workday. It's not quite as flavorful as OGS, and if I smoke it too fast, it encourages salivation -- something I'm not used to in a VA. But all in all, it's a pleasant and extremely affordable alternative to your typical tinned Virginias. IR has a nice product here.

Edit: 3 months later. I ordered another pouch. I must be getting used to the milder tobaccos. This one was magnificent. My next purchase from IR, I'll go for the quantity discount. I think this is headed to be my "regular" smoke. I can't say enough good things about this, so I won't try. Up it to Four Stars.

raadman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raadman (31)

Yea, I like this tobacco...a lot. Being a flake smoker I tried a bag on your recomendations and I'm glad I did. First of all I like the fact that it is easy to rub out and I'm not struggleing with strips of asphalt as is the case with a lot of flake. The taste is of straight good quality Va. slightly sweet,musky and seemed to have a slight orange tang for me.Not much of a nico-kick but these days that's fine with me. A liitle on the moist side and tended to nip just a little... I think Father Time will resolve these issues.A very good tobacco for the DGT. Can't beat the price either. Again, thanks to one and all here for turning me on to some great blends...life is good!

Thick walled Italian curved brandy dedicated to flake.

OLDTIMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OLDTIMER (39)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a real treat. It comes in about 7" long flakes, I break them in half with very little rubbing to fill my pipe. It has a whiff of honey, and that good old Virginia taste. The aroma reminds me of Orlik Golden Slices, yet it is different. Very little tongue bite, and burns to a nice clean ash, and for the price it can not be beat. Another must try!!

Hephaestus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hephaestus (3)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This excellent flake is very similar in flavor and character to Dunhill Light Flake but without the sticker shock. It is a bit moister and sweeter than the latter but not exceedingly so. When I open the pouch, the bouquet I'm greeted with is honey which is probably what it's pressed with to produce the plug from which the flake is cut.

As a confirmed Virginia lover, this is my morning/ early afternoon smoke. I rub this out and dry it a while before packing a bowl, leaving it a bit courser if I plan to smoke in the car or outdoors. As with most Virginias, savor slowly or it will bring your tongue to its knees.

Uncompromising quality in a delicious VA flake and value priced as well, IRC Virginia Flake garners a top rating from me!

tavancleave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tavancleave (8)

I picked up a two-ounce sample of this Virginia flake on my first trip to Iwan Ries and Co. in Chicago, IL. Most college students spend spring break in Florida but, I spent my in the area of Indiana called ?The Region?. Upon the suggestion of a fellow smoker in Knoxville, TN I decided to make a trip to this famous establishment. The shop was awesome. Alas, back to the tobacco, this flake is very familiar to Mac Baren Virginia Flake. Normally a tobacco like this would burn up my mouth but this one is not a tongue burner. It is very light and pleasant unlike the Mac Baren offering and at for the price it might be worth investing the money to get some weight. If you get a chance to visit this shop buy this tobacco. You won?t be disappointed.

joeljcj2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joeljcj2 (8)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

feb 2013---- I BELIEVE THIS HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED---MORES THE PITY...

2005: i have smoked this flake, off and on , for nearly 25 years. it is cut similar to dunhill flake,and is perhaps richer, but not as oily or rich or fully flavored as marlin flake. in the ddunhill occasionally i taste a touch of soap---none in the irc flake. (i don't know who makes this tobacco--i think it's danish) it begins a bit bright, perhaps a touch of lemon but develops into a nice, toasted taste and aroma, which last through the entire pipe. it lights like a flake, but, if rubbed and packed properly ,stays lit with an even cool burn. it does not seem very stoved ( if at all) and seems to have no added flavoring. i find it one of the few i can smoke several bowls in a row, and i also find it one of the few that will tolerate being relit an hour or so later.i am not loyal--i smoke it as only one of a large number i keep open ( 10 or so), but i always come back to irc flake. joeljcj2