Iwan Ries

Dark, aromatic cavendish with Virginias and Orientals for a perfect well-balanced flavor and aroma. A classic aromatic.

BrandIwan Ries
3.2
Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I agree with the last review,this is an aromatic for sure. But one of good quality leaf with a nice sweetness and easy on the tongue burns evenly and cool. And yes I would say cloves are the flavoring but don't let that scare you away! I generally smoke latakia's, virginia's and virg/perq blends and like the change of pace myself. It's good to be King!

SirGawain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirGawain (5)

I like Iwan Ries tobaccos in general; most of them are good, "no-nonsense" tobaks in the old-school style. They really are like something your grandfather would have smoked. King's Oriental is, IMHO, one of their better ones...but be warned: this is not a crossover blend; it's an aromatic. Having said that, on the plus side, I find it smokes nice and dry, with no gurgle. It's not at all sweet, but the flavor is spicy and reminds one of something sweet, which is the chief reason why I like it. I WILL say that the predominate "spice" flavor I pick up from this one is that of cloves with a hint of licorice in the nose. Now, I happen to like both of these flavors very much, but if you don't, I daresay you won't care for this tobacco. The one drawback of the flavor on this one is that some may find it a bit "one-dimensional," as the flavor is not very complex. It's very straightforward. But it's one of those tobaccos that when I want the unique flavor it has, nothing else will do. You really can taste the orientals in this one, which, along with the mellow cavendish, predominate. The room note is very nice, and unmistakably "pipey." If you walk into a room with this, women will flock and ask what it is that you are smoking...which, depending upon the room, is not necessarily a bad thing. I am smoking a bowl of King's Oriental now as I write this, in a big old thick-walled estate Italian briar calabash wannabe, which is the pipe I have dedicated to it. I would recommend trying this in a cob first, and then if you like it, dedicate a thick-walled briar to it (as it will scent a brair rather quickly), or else smoke it in a meer. It does very well in a beautiful old Amboseli blasted meer author that I love.

This is a good one from Iwan Ries. If you like real aromatics that aren't goopy or sickly-sweet, give this one a try. You'll enjoy it. Three and a half of four stars.

phillpsych Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
phillpsych (1)

I have been smoking this blend for years. I quit smoking my pipe for a couple years, and had a big can of this stowed away. I've been back at it for a while, and it's better than ever. This is a very flavorful Oriental, Iwan Ries calls a crossover blend. I'm not a sophisticated smoker, I know what I like. This stuff is an all day smoke, but it can get a little sweet after a while, and then I tend toward a more English style... something like their Dr. Bradley, a true crossover. It's awesome in the morning with my coffee.

I read here that the formula changed when Rex left Iwan Ries. I went there yesterday to check on this. They buy this is bulk from another large, name brand blender, and it's been the same formula for years. To my knowledge, Rex had nothing to do with blending this, at least that is what I was told.

Anyway, the new can I bought yesterday smokes as nicely as the 4 year old can I had, so I have no complaints. This is a tasty aromatic called a crossover oriental. Nice.

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (136)
Medium Very Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

As someone who prefers an aromatic, I was happy to give this one a try. Out of the pouch you are hit with an array of scents from the oriental inside. Honestly, it is kind of a bit much. Reminded me of Christmas potpourri.

The smoke itself maintains these strong flavors, though it is mercifully a bit more muted than the first impression. It may be my imagination, but I sorta felt an added tongue bite from what my brain was telling me to be too many additives.

Kudos to Iwan Ries for making their pouches a full 2oz (the standard seeming to be 1.5oz - 1.75oz), so it is a great deal for the price. I didn't like the pouch size however, the opening is very narrow and hard to pack a pipe from it.

Even though the review may sound negative, this was a smoke I enjoyed and have purchased a few times. Worth trying if you like a lot of spices in your bowl.

Purchased From: Iwan Reis

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (102)

Here I am home for Xmas and going through a stash of tins and pouches I abandoned a while back. One of them is a "Perma-Moist Pouch" of Iwan Ries' King's Oriental. The pouch is probably about 4 years old--not old enough, apparently--and I suspect that it must be the much maligned new recipe which seems to have upset so many. Oh well. (I have to say, though, that those silver pouches IRC uses are pretty amazing for maintaining moisture levels.)

I remember a once-upon-a-time fondness I had for this blend and smoking it now, I find it enjoyable and downright Xmas-y with its spiced plum pudding nose. Why Iwan Ries persists in listing it among their British blends is beyond me, because this little fella is a straight-on bitey aromatic and it's about as British as I am.

It's easy to do worse that KO, but it's also easy to do better.

VRTraveller Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
VRTraveller (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

As other reviewers have indicated, King's Oriental is an amazing aromatic blend. I smoke only aromatics, and this is a master blend in my book. It is exceptional in every respect. Highly recommended!