Rich, smoky and meaty, Bishop’s Move offers a satisfying endeavor into traditional English blends.

Notes: Ingredients: Virginia, Latakia, Perique, and Burley.

BrandUhle's
Blended ByJack Uhle
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
Packaging1.5 oz bag, 7 oz bag, 14 oz bag
Strength
Strong
Taste
Full

3.9
oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

Uhle's has always (in my 25-year association) advertised Bishop's Move as containing "Monopoly Turkish." I have no idea what Monopoly Turkish is...other than distinguished and delicious.

Anyone expecting a bump-free Balkan Interstate Highway ride will be disappointed. Bishop's Move has enough bumps to keep anyone awake and focused. You cannot put this blend on cruise control and forget about it: this is a REAL smoke.

As others have reported and Jack Uhle himself stated, Bishop's Move is not an "all-day-smoke." It might be...in some alternative universe of Zombies! Though this is an imimitable blend, its cousins, Blends 303, 232, and 71 are suited for regular puffing and Bishop's Move is best reserved for evenings and special occasions.

There are smoother and more refined Balkans to be had, but very few so engaging and flavorsome. This is an old blend, harkening back to an era when double-clutching and the throb of a well-tuned engine were part of driving a fine, high-powered car.

What Chicago writer Nelson Algren said of the Windy City could as well be said of Bishop's Move: "Like loving a woman with a broken nose. You might well find lovelier lovelies, but never a lovely so real."

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is a great smoke. Balkans are often described as subtle or nuanced. This is neither. It is also not an in-your-face latakia or perique flavor bomb. It is stout and a little edgy.

The flavor is a slighty tangy oriental forward with some smooth and sweet provided by the Virginia. There is a smoky latakia that does not overwhelm. The burley gives it some depth and provides a certain meaty, chewy quality to the smoke. The perique pokes its head out and provides some nose tickle as a distraction, but it is not the main attraction. Roomnote has a certain incense-like thing going, and it is comfortable in its own way. I would not call the roomnote friendly in general, but my daughter likes it.

I highly recommend this blend to anyone who likes balkans. Like a stout beer, it might not be the best choice for someone new to the genre.

On the rare occasion that I want to smoke a straight Burley, I think that Ulhe's “00” Burley is the very best that can be found in the States so when I heard about Bishop's Move, I had to give it a try. True to form Uhle's comes through again with a terrific and unique English blend. At first glance the tobacco appears in the pouch to be of the highest quality. The pouch smell is dominated by the Turkish tobacco offering up a pungent and slightly tangy scent. Bishop's move is balanced out by the Virginia's and Latakia with emphasis on the word balanced. The strength is medium, but the flavor is medium/full. The Turkish tobacco makes the blend taste a bit nutty. It is refreshing to have stumbled on a small B&M that is scratch making blends that rival some of the world's biggest and best blenders! Highly Recommended!

longlost00 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
longlost00 (22)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Hopefully you come across this particular tobacco at the end of your English journey and not at the beginning. If the former, appreciation should abound in such a wonderfully-blended and full-flavored product. Should the latter be the case, you'll need to work your way through the plethora of English blends only to find your way back to Bishop's Move.

The flavor - and I mean that literally, you WILL taste this tobacco - is deep and nuanced by the condiment tobaccos. This tobacco will show you many faces each time you smoke it. I experienced no bite, but did feel the 'pepper' of the Perique.

Wonderful stuff! Working my way through the Uhle's house is thus far a real treat.

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

One of my favorite English blends of all time. Always as good as it was when I first smoked it in the sixties. Reliable and worthwhile. Delicious, indeed.

carolina kid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
carolina kid (17)

This is a fantastic English blend with a soft, savory tang that is delicious from start to finish. Complex without being distracting or fussy. A real delight.

The Virginias here are soft and understated. The Syrian Latakia, lacking the more pine-woodsy scent of Cyprian, contributes to the savory-sweet richness of the blend. I can't detect a distinct Perique taste, but it must be there rounding things out with some bottom notes. The real star of the blend, however, is the "Monopoly Turkish." I have no idea what "Monopoly" means, but it must be what gives this blend its distinctly fragrant, oriental taste -- not grassy, not medicinal, not floral, as other orientals can be, just yummy and savory.

If you like English or Balkan blends, you'll love Bishop's Move.

Johnny River Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Johnny River (17)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Uhle's is what this country needs more of. Local tobacconists who conjure up, with their own tobacco, interesting and enjoyable smoking experiences.

That is what you'll find in Uhle's Bishop's Move. This stuff gets you to thinking. It's not the kind of smoke you pack in the pipe and go out and mow the lawn with. This is for the end of the day, kick back and relax smoking (or go ahead and take a day off from work - you have my permission). This mixture packs nice, lights easy and smokes down to the end with the occasional tamping to keep things in place. Half way through the addictive nature of this smoke will kick in. It's one of those smokes you want to smoke till the end - which you hope never comes.

Bishop's Move is a complex smoke. A mix of tangy Virginia, rich Latakia and the famous Uhle's "Turkish Monopoly". The whole thing gets your head going..... For anyone who wants an interesting smoke, with lots of flavors going on you will want to try this. Highly recommended without reservations.

Mudguts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mudguts (14)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

A medium to strong bodied English exposing layers of latakia, burley nuttiness and slight a liquor-like topping during the smoking session. This blend is velvety smooth and a delight to exhale through nose. Stays lit and burns to a grey ash. Nicotine is mild but flavor and body are meaty. I do not consider this to be a lat bomb. Its flavor points weave in and out all the way down the bowl without degradation. I did not detect any perique, so the percentage must not be very high. The virgina also seems to be in the distant background, or just overshadowed by the stronger flavors. A well balanced blend, it will beg you to refill your bowl. A real winner from this long established house.

Pipe Used: Peterson 221

Age When Smoked: 0 - 2 years

Purchased From: Uhle's

Similar Blends: Fusilier's Ration, Black House.

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (35)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Opening the bag I found the mixture fairly dry and spicy smelling. Upon smoking it was very good. An excellent balance of the ingredients, each making itself known (Latakia tying it together) yet in harmony with the others. The taste was full with a nice vanilla smoothness. Burned evenly all the way to the bottom and kept my interest throughout. The smoke had, confirmed by my wife, an almost incense like quality to it making the room note pretty good for an English blend and appropriate for a high churchman like me. The Bishop will be making his move to my regular rotation and I recommend he visit you soon too.

JRobert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JRobert (8)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Soft and smoky, this tobacco is not your average tobacconist's house blend, but the house of Uhle has pulled it off again.

Nice, dry and immediately smokable this blend is always in my rotation when looking for a great english blend in a big pipe.

Uhle genius again.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Whoa! Deja Vu?

It's been close to 30 years since I smoked a particular house blend from a shop that has long since closed its doors. I remember a favored heavier English blend from them, a taste of which I've never discovered again - until now! Granted, tastes are somewhat hard to recall after that long, but this one tastes like that long-lost blend. I wonder if that shop bought the blend from Uhle's and renamed it? Entirely possible.

Since that time, I've found other latakia blends that I prefer to this, but this one is still very good. It's a dry smoking, robust and rich blend that is never short on flavor. It's smoky as is typical, sweet as is typical, but it has a very unique flavor nonetheless. I wish I could describe it in words that would make sense to others, but the best I can do is to describe it as "homey". It brings back wonderful, relaxing memories. I've honestly never found anything like this, aside from that early experience, even though I've smoked hundreds of latakia blends since then. Bishops Move is something unique. If you think latakia blends have no further mysteries to unlock, I highly recommend you try this one. It's a blend that I'll likely buy a half-pound of and smoke on special occasions. It'll probably be my new Christmas Eve mix! Not my favorite, but definitely worth a try to see if it could become yours.

Ryepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ryepipe (19)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Mr. Uhle must live in a round house because this blend has no edges to get caught on and is seamless everytime. All the flavors are discernable yet it is as if each one was detailed and finished before they went into the hopper to mingle. For my taste the virginia seems the furthest distant with the turkish and lat more flavor forward. McCranies Murdoch's Pipe is somewhat similar but has the virginia forward and not as sweet to my taste, little as it may be. Bishop's Move is remarkably smooth with just a hint of sweetness. This could be an all day smoke if you had one bowl big enough to require training wheels. For my money it is best in class.

Country Doc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Doc (20)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is my first bowl of Bishop's Move, smoking in a Barontini pot while listening to competition Pipes and Drums (2009 World Championships). First impressions:

Very high quality. Subtle, complex and luxurious. Rich and smooth. So many hints and overtones that it is endlessly fascinating. An elegant, deeply satisfying smoke.

This is my first experience with a Uhle's tobacco, but I assure you it won't be the last.

MasonM Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MasonM (1)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is my favorite blend. The "wee bit of Perique" adds a wonderful subtle character to the smoke, and the overall flavor is strong and complex. This is not a tobacco for a quick smoke, but one to be smoked slowly and truly enjoyed.

It starts off good and only gets better towards the bottom of the bowl. This is one I highly recommend to anyone who enjoys a good English blend.

bbqncigars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bbqncigars (7)

A very nice english blend. It starts out fairly mild and a bit sweet, then the latakia makes it's move. The bottom two thirds of the bowl turn into a full flavored tastebud experience. Well balanced by that point. There are some creamy undertones to this blend that I can't pin down.

PipeProfessor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeProfessor (15)
Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

Can't get any better than Bishop's Move for a full english blend. Dry to the touch, and burns great! Very rich and satisfying! Great!

Harpua0077 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harpua0077 (31)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I would say you can't go wrong with this blend. Bishop's Move is the perfect name. I play Chess when I can and I always ponder the move of the Bishop far more than most. I've often felt the Bishop can make or brake a good game. This is certainly a blend to smoke for deep thought or strategy planning. But it equally good for forgetting the day, and just enjoying a flavor smoke.

In some ways this makes me think of the fourth of july, the flavors are compelling and complex. Every puff is a burst of flavorful sensation. The room note stimulates them Ol' Factory senses. If I could give this a 20 of 4 I would but a 4 of 4 is all I am allowed. It is said that this smoke is not an all day smoke, but perhaps a once a day smoke. I'm in agreement. Why, well this blend would poison the waters. It is so good that you may never wish to smoke anything else. I like to sample tobac's so I must be careful to not allow this nic rich tobac to much play time. A definite must try.

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (35)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

Yummmy is all I can say. Tastes like blend 232 but tangier with a bit of sweetness. Leaves the mouth craving a second bowl.

Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I love TURKISH TOBACCO! This is an excellent example of fine blending. Very nutty with pronounced Latakia. The Perique is there but in the background. If you like Connisseur's Turkish Black this is an excellent alternative. Dry, rich, full, and very satisfying. A Balkan delight! 4 of 4 well deserved English Stars.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (62)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Whats a burley lover like myself doing smoking this stuff?! Well, enjoying it for starters.

Full, smooth, stout and satisfying, all at once, this is. It comes at just the right humidity and loads easily. At the first light I always have that "this is something special" thought run through my mind. The turkish and latakia are at the forefront and as you work your way down the bowl the virginia definitely comes out in a harmonious way. From the first puff to the last it's a great smoke, leaving a dry pipe and a very small amount of grey ash. I couldn't smoke this more than once a day but when I want to reach for something substantial, for those times when smoking a pipe is all I really want to do, this is a truly fine tobacco. Uhles quality once again stands out and I'd recommend this for anyone wanting to try a top notch balkan tobacco.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (32)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Laden with rich Turkish, this is a luxurious Balkan. At the start of the smoke the Turkish base seems to nearly overwhelm the other tobaccos. As it progresses, however, the latakia gradually makes more of an appearance and the Turkish recedes. I am not able to detect the small amount of perique so if you are a periqueophobe, never fear. Because of the preponderance of Turkish leaf this is the most nicotine-heavy of the Uhle's blends. While I can tolerate Dunhill 965 on an empty stomach with only a minimal awareness of nicotine, under the same circumstances the Bishops Move tends to give me a noticeable nicotine rush. Another cold-weather tobacco for me, and rather rich, so smoked on occasion. A good choice for the Thanksgiving post-prandial fugue state, lounging in front of the fire and watching your tobacco smoke being drawn up the chimney. This is quite a bit richer and stronger than Dunhill Aperitif, perhaps closer to Durbar, although, I think, still considerably more full. Again, an occasional smoke for me, although I will continue to keep on hand for when the mood strikes and nothing else will do.