Light brown, rich, oily, medium thin leaves. Blend #00 is entirely White Highland Burley.

Notes: Cut is a ready rubbed ribbon.

BrandUhle's
Taste

3.9
chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (37)

I've smoked many burleys, and though I keep a lot of Solani ABF on hand, Blend 00 is the best ribbon-cut burley I've ever had the pleasure of stuffing my pipe with.. Starts out with grassy notes and then toward middle-bowl, you'll get very slight hints of sweet spice... A pleasurable and satisfying smoke.

There's not many grassy or nutty or toasty notes, but sip slowly and you might notice a little of each. The sweetness of the white burley and perhaps a slight topping takes center stage here and that's what you'll come away wanting more of. No bite, even burning; a very flavorful and relaxing smoke that leaves a very pleasing after taste. It doesn't have a cigarette or an ashy taste at all. It can be an all day smoke if you choose. One of the best burleys I've ever smoked.

Like Uhle's Perfection Plug Burley, I would hesitate to call this one a "pure" burley. There is a definite sweetening agent included as a topping - very light but very noticeable. Aside from various OTC's, the only really pure uncased burley I've ever smoked is C&D's Burley Straight. This one is not as "pure" as that one, but is the better for it. The cut here is a string cut (but not shag) as opposed to the plug of the C&D (and Perfection Plug).

This is probably the best tasting burley out there, to my tastebuds. The topping adds to the mix, and there is even a smidge of complexity to this one! I'm not used to that with tobaccos that are all burley. But complexity is not the point here... flavor is, and this one has all the flavor you could want. I can imagine non-burleyphiles enjoying this one, as it has a kind of Virginia tobacco feel. The taste is more robust than VA but the added sweetener helps level the playing field.

If you love Grape Nuts cereal, go with the C&D above. If you like a hint of sugar on your Grape Nuts and you like to add a nice bagel or toast with the meal, go with this one.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This "00 Burley" has changed my mind about straight Burley tobacco as this offering from Uhle's is simply outstanding! I only keep a couple of different Burley tobacco's in the cellar and this one goes to the top of the taste chart. Wonderful flavor, and underlying sweetness make this well cut tobacco a MUST for any Burley smoker and for those that have stayed away from Burley (like me!), "00" is a reason to come back for another try. IMHO its the champaign of Burley! Highly recommended!

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am on my first bowl of this, and I am really impressed. This is a solid burley smoke that is mild and tasty. I am not getting complex notes or subtle flavors. I am getting tobacco, and it is very satisfying.

If you need a fancier review, I will direct you to Pipestud or JimInks.

Edit: I have smoked up about 6 oz of this so far. It is just a great burley smoke that you have to try if you a fan of this type of tobacco. It is up there with Aged Burley Flake, and it comes at a better price point.

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (35)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Despite the warning a few posts below... I'm primarily a smoker of English blends because I have a very dull sense of taste, but I wanted to try this out, never having smoked a straight burley, why not go to the top of heap right away.

It was a very cool smoke and had a light flavor of, I don't know hard to id, something like sweet, green, and almost a fragrance, perfume note... Not unpleasant at all. I did not detect any cigarette taste or smell. The room note was better than my english blends (according to my wife).

I liked it, and will put it into my rotation. It left no bite and I could see smoking this all day. Because of its clean and simple taste I think I will use it as like a palate cleanser between the heavier stuff I like.

If you have not tried this, it is worth a go.

longlost00 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
longlost00 (22)

Like burley? Need an everday/all day smoke? This could be it. This particular burley is well-rounded and smokes easily. There is no cigarette taste, but it does have quite a light and almost sweet nuttiness to it.

They sell their tobaccos at Uhle's pre-packaged into 3.5 and 7oz. bags, and the moisture level for this one is just right, although drying it out or packing it an hour ahead of time isn't a bad option.

I have found this one works best for me in a cob, but doesn't lose anything in translation if you go to a briar.

Full disclosure...I love burleys, good ones, anyway, and this one is as fine as you'll find straight up. Be wary of any review on this site that starts off with "I smoke predominately English blends, but I gave this one a try..." If you don't like burley, then stay away and don't knock it. For those that enjoy it, pack a bowl.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (138)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is the burley against which all others must be judged. It is the pinnacle of it's genre. Smooth and delicious with a slight natural sweetness. No bitterness from start to finish. Very satisfying and lively. Cool and refreshing. All confirmed pipesters should try this gem at least once. I applaud Uhle's, for maintaining a quality that is becoming harder to find in today's world. Please support their efforts.

Gringo_KC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gringo_KC (1)

I concur with Pipestud, this is the best burley I have smoked. It is smooth without bitterness at the end of a bowl. Burns clean and dry and has a slight sweetness to my taste. Definitely an all day smoke and will not offend those around you. Plus Uhle's is just a top notch bunch of people.

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Simply stated; the best pure Burley I've ever smoked, period. This is remarkable weed that is cool, biteless, a tad sweet and has a little punch to it. Nothing like many of the Burley blends on your local drug store's shelf. Additionally, this one does not grow bitter near the bottom of the bowl. Instead, the strength picks up a bit and once all leaf is consumed, leaves your palate feeling refreshed and satisfied.

An all-day smoke and new discovery for this long-time pipe puffing cowboy. If you enjoy Burley tobacco with no extras, please give Uhle's 00 a try.

bighitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bighitter (37)

This is really excellent. Now that Affordable Pipes has quit the blending business and there will be no more Blue Grass Melody, this is a worthwhile substitute. One of the finest burleys I've had, without the slight flavoring of Perfection Plug which I've actually grown very fond of, but absolutely perfect in its own way...

If you love plain Burley, you really must give this a try.

This is the plainest tobacco I have ever smoked. However, this doesn't detract from my enjoyment.

This is very gently sweetened (maybe with corn syrup), and like its stablemate Perfection Plug, has a buttery smoothness to it.

The flavor profile is more grassy, toasty and herbal than nutty like some Burley blends.

It is of course pure joy in a cob.

Uhle's makes really fine stuff, and I love the old school Americana blends.

Their like is slowly dwindling, so support them if you can!

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

What with the cool weather lately, I've been reaching for tasty burley blends to put in a cob; at -15C a Falcon pipe will freeze up! The things one learns working outside.

I'll gloss over most of what I've tried (or re-tried), I've been very happy with the Stokkebye Cube Cut and pleasantly surprised by Prince Albert. Then I came across a sealed bag of Uhle's OO that I had set aside some time ago.

I can't remember what I paid for the 14oz. bag, I recall it was quite inexpensive, less than the drugstore name-brands, more than the "Super Value" types.

To come to the point. Uhle's OO is a superb medium strength, medium tasting burley tobacco. It looks like PA, tastes quite a bit like PA, with the addition of a very slight cigar note, like Carter Hall perhaps? But better, so much better. Very natural, and no gooey fingers before or after a smoke...something that's always turned me off. This is the kind of product one can get when it's produced by a handful of people who care about what they do. At the moment it's not listed on the Uhle's web site, but I'd bet it's still available; do give it a try.