A true "Puritan" cut plug White Burley. Excellent and mild to smoke just as it is or can be used as a base to blend your own favourite mixture.

Notes: Ingredients: Cube-cut and ribbon Burley.

BrandUhle's
Packaging1.5 oz bag, 7 oz bag, 14 oz bag
Strength
Taste

3.6

Cut plug that looks in the bag like Barking Dog. Beautiful cubes of white burley (no latakia, though!). Loads and packs easily, but as is usual for me, I had trouble keeping the cube cut lit. That appears to be my problem rather than a shortcoming with the tobacco.

I would hesitate to call this a "puritan" burley, as I taste an added sweetener of some kind. It definitely enhances the smoke but it doesn't taste like most of the straight burleys I've smoked. That's ok with me, since this one is something I could smoke all day if I were of a mind to do so, or it also works nicely as an end of day relaxer or a nice wake-up call for the morning. It's flavorful enough to maintain interest throughout the bowl but definitely not a complex smoke... and I'm not sure complexity is the point of straight burley, anyway! This is just a good, old-fashioned, good tasting smoke. No pretensions. Probably one of the best 5 burley mixes I've tried, and I'm going to stock up on this one. The added sweetness is expertly applied and is just enough to keep the blend from being too one dimensional and boring. A masterstroke!

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (62)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I can only echo what my colleagues have said. The is about as basic and simple a burley as you are likely to find. I am a fan of good cube cut burley and this is, IMHO, the best of the lot. I gravity fill a larger bowl pipe with little-to-no-packing and light it with a kitchen match, twice. After that it settles down to a cool, dry and biteless oat or nut like smoke with just a hint of sweetness. It favors slow sips for a gentler flavor. With no particular effort on my part I easily get more than a couple of hours of an excellent smoking experience with not even the smallest hint of the dreaded bitters. In fact I'm usually done before the pipe and tobacco are (in my experience an uncommon occurance). No bad aftertaste at all. During testing I like to run a pipe cleaner through at regular intervals and this produces very little tar &/or gunk (unlike 1-Q and others). This isn't necessarily what most of us would call exciting, but it's so durable, reliable and maintenance free that any burley smoker should try some. It amazes me that some of Uhle's best stuff is the "older" tobaks.

morleysson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morleysson (23)
Medium None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

Funny thing, this burley. I've been on a burley odyssey for over 40 years, like in the Rime of the Ancient Mariner, wandering w/ purpose, but w/o specific direction. I thought that I had tried every burley and burley-based blend around. Discount the offerings of the legendary Tinder Box, which usually are Lane renames and, IMHO, mundane. But, occasionally the Uhle's name would crop up positively on the 'Net. So, I scanned the site and order the Perfection cut plug; I'm also a sucker for real cut plugs, and rough cuts. The two large poly-bags arrived and the testing pipes were lined up, lightly reamed and cleaned, ready for filling. About 10 bowls into the testing, and I was impressed. This was a really tasty burley, w/ oatmeal and coffee aromas, and light on the tongue. This blend smells like real tobacco. Fortunately, Uhle's also sent a few generous samples of their #300, #255, and the crushed white burley for comparison. And, I was hooked. The best of these very fine tobaccos was the Perfection cut plug. While I would have preferred a little more cigar note, there is no complaint. The chunky blend smokes quietly and effortlessly in my Custombilts and Petes, although the cut of the tobacco seems to favor the larger bowls. Burns to a clean gray/white ash, no wet dottle and light on the tongue. Uhle's has been placed on the shelf by my chair w/ the few other burley favorites. Reaching for any of them is effortless and very pleasant.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Wonderful stuff! Burns well, packs well, and gives a consistent taste from start to finish, though you may get a slightly ashy taste near the end if you're a fast puffer. Slightly buttery with notes of honey, oats, and cocoa, and a very light topping of some kind that I can't identify. As with most burleys, it's not overly complex, but it's not designed to be. As others have observed, it can be an all day smoke; it's very versatile that way. It's sweet, of course, but not in a way that will overwhelm you. It requires a few lights along the way, but so what? Chances are you don't have anything better to do anyway and this is worth that effort. Buy it! 'nuff said!

Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

I am a Burley fan and have wanted to try this for some time now. I ordered a 7 ounce bag and received it packaged in a zip lock and that was packaged in another air tight bag. Opening the bag revealed a beautiful natural tobacco smell. It reminded me of the good smells of hay around a stable wafting in the distant air. It was composed of medium brown cubes and some ribbon. At first, there was no discernible smell other than good tobacco. Upon subsequent opening of the bag as I smoked through the contents the smell was definitely that of cocoa (not chocolate ala Hershey's) and delicious. The moisture content was perfect for smoking - no drying needed for this one. Loading the mix was easy, I merely dipped my pipe into the bag and gravity fed. A light tamp was all that was needed before lighting. It took to the charring light quite readily, and after one tamp and another light I was off and running. No re-lights needed, just light tamping while smoking. My pipe was a large Dr. Grabow Grand Duke billiard.

This is what your grandfather really smoked (or would have liked to)! The only taste was that of high quality Burley, with a subtle sweetness. I didn't detect a topping per se, but I'm sure it was cased with perhaps some cocoa as I picked this up in the side stream as well as the bag smell after it was opened several times. I enjoyed this tobacco immensely, and if you are a Burley fancier like me, you will not be disappointed. Pure tobacco goodness - period. A decent nicotine presence in my opinion and not over the top. No bite, bitterness, gurgle, or heat while smoking. The room note is beautiful with that hint of cocoa. One of the best Burleys I have ever smoked in 37 years of piping. Highly recommended with five stars!

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Despite my three-decades' patronage of Uhle's, I have come only recently to this blend. It is said (or used to be) that "life begins at forty."

If so, then there is something wonderfully semtrical about discovering this fabulous tobacco at age 60, because it is so beguilingly like a tobacco love I discovered around age 20: This is as close as one can come to Edgeworth when it was produced by Larus Bros. And that is saying alot.

Other reviewers have noted a cocoa "casing," or at least a note of cocao. I quite agree. Whether it is ther or not...who (except Uhle's) knows? But it gives the same honest, earthy Burley delights. And it is readily available.

A wonderful tobacco to smoke as is...or to blend with a bit of Uhle's Blend 232 (plus a couple of drops of brown rum) to create the "original intent" of Larus' Holiday Blend. Those around me have said the aroma is wonderful; having had a friend smoke this concoction, and smelling the room note myself, I agree most- heartily! It smells quite like the slightly-aromatic "American Englishes" of old.

Try it!

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (35)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

There has been enough reviews for folks to get the drift of this very good, sweet, nutty high quality burley, with some cocoa notes. Burns well. Bottom line: this is what Prince Albert turns into when he becomes King. I will be stocking the cellar with this.

Pipe Used: Clay

Purchased From: Uhle's

Similar Blends: Prince Albert - Prince Albert, Prince Albert - Prince Albert Choice Blend.

Mudguts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mudguts (14)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Simple straight-forward old-timey white burley with a faint Lakeland accent that showcases the burley, adding depth and character to the smoke. Cube cut, super easy to fill pipe (but be careful, as easy to spill pipe too). Easy to tote around as an all-dayer as cube cut keeps well in travel-mode and does not dry out quickly like other cuts of tobacco (but thankfully, no humecant detected!). Cut needs a tighter pack. Thick smoke builds mid-bowl with some nuttiness. Good mouth feel. Sweet flavor is deftly applied and is understated. Needs a bit of drying to avoid steamouts and a hot bowl. Properly aired, it stays lit and burns to a light grey ash, otherwise you will steamout and have charred cubes left in your bowl. Finish will go more to the bitter end of the scale, but does not detract. Satisfying burley stoutness. Best smoked in corn cob. Ages well. Pairs well with black coffee. Medium nicotine. Uhle's is a great house that has been around a long time, and for good reason. They have sample packages that I highly recommend.

Pipe Used: corn cob

Purchased From: Uhle's

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Five stars? C'mon, guys . . . Heretofore, I have trusted ye.

Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

As mild a pure Burley as I've ever smoked. Interesting cut and I can see where this one might be added to whispy leaf (Orientals) to add body. It sure won't add strength. The flavor comes through but is no battering ram there either. My next go with this tobacco will be to blend it with some flavorful Virginia leaf that has some punch.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The pouch aroma of this mixture of hard-pressed, large cubes admixed with a dash of ribbon burley hints at sweet grass and herbs.

This is a basic mixture of predominantly lighter and white burleys that are moderately sweetened. It is mild, youthful, and refreshingly clean with a fresh graininess.

Perfection Plug Burley is honestly homespun and exceptionally pure, charming, and delightful in flavor. This went best in a narrow to medium gauge chamber.

bighitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bighitter (37)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This stuff is amazing. Perfect little cubes of burley, lightly topped (it disappears a bit as you work your way through the bag) with some cocoa to help with the bitterness. It's not an aromatic really, and I'm not an aromatic smoker, but this is very well done and tasty, not cloying, complementary to the tobacco flavor, which is wonderful. And that cut is so cool. My favorite tobacco of all time.

On my second pound now, and this batch definitely has less topping. Has a certain similarity to Five Bros. at times, but is better, and of course the cut smokes much differently.

bighitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bighitter (37)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Awesome burley, and the cut is so cool, those perfect little compact cubes of burley. Burns very nicely, cool, and the taste really grows on you. I'm not an aromatic smoker, but this one, even though they say it isn't aromatic, is done very well. I would agree with the post below that the topping is some kind of chocolatey thing, probably cocoa. Anyway, it's pleasant and doesn't cover up the tobacco, really only smooths it out, takes out some of the bitterness normally associated with burley. Try it, Uhle's is fantastic.

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (35)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This was the first tobacco I tried when I took up pipe smoking again. My tounge took quite a lashing at first so I switched to a lighter burley blend. I was happy with that for some time.

After some tounge seasoning, I decided to try another bowl of this burley plug. God, is this stuff ever good! The taste seems so right and it lingers in my mouth for hours. 100% satisfaction here.

If you seek excitement, or extremes of taste or strength, this is not for you.

This reminds me of Uhle's 300, with the Honey-Hive very discreetly applied. This makes it have just enough sweetness to keep it smooth, warm and toasty. It is mild, without a hint of bitterness and it has a buttery mouthfeel. The finish is clean and pleasant.

I love cube cuts, and I love high quality burley, and this is indeed both. As morleysson points out, there are hints of toasted oats in this blend. It is gentle, and very soothing.

A must for the old-fashioned burley fan.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

I have to agree with the two esteemed gentlemen below me. This is a base, unadulterated, naturally sweet, old-fashioned burley and a darned good one. And if there is any flavoring added, it sure tasted ?natural? to me. The true taste may escape you at first light but PPB soon settles down and smoothes out with gentle puffs into a consoling nutty, natural sweetness. I experienced no bite or burley bitters and it burned to a fine ash. This blend, for me, harkens to days and generations past: grandpa or great grandpa could very well have found a like blend sitting on the shelf of their local general store in a 5-pound modestly lithographed, yellow tin that simply and generically read ?Sweet Burley.? This is the best of the Uhle burley blends I have tried so far.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 9.8 out of 10.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (32)

This tastes quite similar to Uhles #300 blend, except with less sweetness. I suspect it is the base tobacco for that blend. Supposedly this has no added flavoring and the slight sweetness is just from the tobacco and the way it is processed. At any rate, this is very good cubed burley. This is not bland as are many other straight burley tobaccos, and if you like burley this will hold your interest. Should you be a fancier of straight burleys such as MacBarens Burley London Blend I think you owe it to yourself to give this one a go. I would say this may not be as smooth but perhaps has more flavor than the MacBaren. Highly recommended.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Cube cut, and tiny cubes at that, burley. I am presuming, based on the very slight hint of sweetness, that a little something was added.

It's not bad, neither is it exceptional-to my taste buds anyhow. It just didn't excite me; at some point in the future I'll try again.