A pure Cavendish blend topped with whiskey with just a bit of added richness.

BrandUhle's
Taste
The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (35)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Well what do you know, a full on aromatic I can stand. It did not burn my tongue or leave my mouth tasting of ashtray. I guess when you start with quality components good things can happen. Nice whiskey aftertaste and the burley from Uhle's (finest burley you can get) fill this out nicely, gives body, so it doesn't taste like I'm sucking air with flavoring... And the whiskey topping lasts through the bowl. Probably not going to be a regular, but worth keeping a few ounces on hand in case of any ecumenical gatherings.

Pipe Used: Clay

Purchased From: Uhle's

Rewster66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rewster66 (15)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

WOW!!! I thought I would never be able to find another blend that I would like as much as my beloved Boswell Berry Cobbler or Christmas Cookie but I have found it. This stuff has a taste that is a little hard to describe. Once lit it is good but halfway through the bowl is is exceptional. It kinda has a what I would describe as a slight spicy taste, a little earthy. Very smooth on the draw and I love the way it seems to just nibble at the tounge, it does not bite but it seems to have a little tingle on the tounge. When I first seen the name Old Shoe I thought who would want to smoke anything that tastes or smells like an old shoe, but after smoking the first bowl I realize that it is as comfortable as an old shoe.

Absolutely love this stuff!!!

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (62)

Uhle's blends just about speak for themselves. Excellent quality tobacco is used in all the Uhles stuff. Seems moist in the bag but actually smokes on the dry side. Once you get it going (light-tamp-light) the flavor, which does seem to be a little "rooty" as in root beer, (and just a tad sweet) is, if anything, understated. Nice mix of good casing and underlying tobacco flavor. Burns down to a dry ash with no bitters or goop. Room note is superb.

pDzine Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pDzine (12)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

My go-to Blend. I stumbled across this and haven't looked back. I supplement my hobby with different blends, sampling English, Aromatics, and the basics, but this stuff is habit forming.

I can't quite describe the flavor explicitly, usually because I am too busy enjoying the party in my mouth. It's creamy, it's sweet, it reminds me of coca-cola cake. However, there is enough tobacco flavor to remind you that you are smoking, not sucking on a jolly rancher.

My biggest gripe with aromatics is that after the initial light, you lose the flavor and the smoke starts to taste like that flavored smoke. With this blend you have the tobacco flavors all the way through the bowl, just a tasty, creamy, rich flavor.

If you've not tried the Old Shoe, call or stop by Uhle's and try it out, I bet you'll like it. If you don't, send it to me.

No longer flavored with root beer. It is now a Whiskey based aromatic. A good one but nothing spectacular.

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I am not much of an aromatic fan, sticking mostly to straight VAs or latakia blends, but I have often tried to find an aromatic I could enjoy when I am in a social setting. I have only recently tried Old Shoe and, as aromatics go, it is pretty good. While it is sweet and the tobacco is quite wet out of the bag, it smokes dry and burns to a nice ash. The tobacco is very limp, but not sticky and does not appear to leave that awful goopy residue in the pipe. Like the description given above, it does come through slightly of the rum and root beer, but not in a bad way. The combination of flavorings reminds me of hot buttered rum or of butterscotch candy, but the flavorings do not overwhelm the tobacco. Many aromatic casings tend to bother my sinuses, but I did not have that problem with Old Shoe.

Despite my usual preferences, I find that I enjoy Old Shoe.

Update 11/11/06: I am upping this to 4 stars because I find myself going to this and enjoying it more and more. Of the three Uhle aromatics I have tried (Black Stoker & Marquette are the others), this has become my favorite. It consistently burns cool and dry, stays lit very well and burns down to the very bottom without a hint of goop. Shows you what a proper aromatic can be that is cased without some cheap sugary mess.

Update 09/02/2007: I still find that I come back to this often. It is one of the few aromatics that I enjoy smoking for the flavor. I find that nuking the tobacco in the microwave to the point of almost burning it not only dries out any residual goopiness, but I like the slightly roasted flavor it produces. Try putting at least 4 oz in a covered microwave dish and use a low setting.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I am a big fan of Ulhe's cubed burley blends. My current favorite is blend 255 (old timey cubed burley) mixed 50/50 with 71 (an Americanized English). Really wonderfull stuff.

I decided to try some of their other tobaccos. This blend is a 1950s/1960s aromatic burley. Slightly sticky -but not overly so for this genre. Light and medium brown coarse ribbon. No black cavendish. Wonderful pouch aroma of burley with a lightly sweet top dressing. Packs easily and burns effortlessly.

The flavor is gently sweetened Burley but with substantially more body than a typical Cavendish. I do not like typical aromatics but found this to be quite nice and a great change of pace. Great room aroma. I cannot say I taste root beer but did find the flavor to be unique and nothing like your standard vanilla cased tobacco (which I detest). I really enjoyed mixing this with #300 (another fabulous cube cut).

Try this for a change of pace, or if you are an aromatic smoker looking for a nice tobacco that has some added body. Another fine blend from Uhle's.

Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Yes, "rooty" indeed! The amazing thing about Uhle's aromatics for me, is that they taste just as they are described. So many aromatics have no taste, but smell good. In the pouch, this doesn't have much smell at all. When lit, it is delightful.

Certainly there is root beer flavor, but when it melds with the rum, it takes on a rich buttered rum quality. The sidestream aroma is wonderful.

This is a trifle wet when fresh, but not goopy. It can get a little hot if you push it. You won't need to, because the flavor is right there. A real treat for aromatic lovers, and a pleasant diversion from more natural blends.

Uhle's is yet another national treasure for the American pipe smoker. They have something for everyone, and everything I have tried has been a real pleasure. I encourage anyone who enjoys old fashioned American blends to pick up a sampler soon. I think you will be delighted.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (44)

Old shoe is pretty good but different for my experience, To begin it is a mild smoke , also the root beer is there I happened to drink IBC rootbeer then I lit the bowl of this blend and it brought rootbeer taste out even more on my palate. All I can say mmmm mmmm. the smoke is kind of familiar to the other Uhle custom blends which to me is creamy volumes of smoke and nutty character.I would say this good blend for a aromatic lover like me .

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

When I first read the description of this blend I'm ashamed to say that I rolled my eyes in disdain. For heaven's sake, I've got Sobranie 759, and Cope's Escudo stashed away. Fifteen year old tins of various McClelland flakes and English Capstan. Root Beer! I wouldn't sully my palate!

This stuff is fantastic.

Burley base, creamy Cavendish texture, just enough sweetness from the rum, and the, um, "rootiness" from the root beer makes a perfect compliment to the nutty, earthy Burley taste. In common with all the Uhle's blends, my palate, or body chemistry, or whatever, enjoys Old Shoe as an all day smoke. For a few days, and then on to the next blend.

The only reason that I didn't rate this as four star is that Old Shoe and Marquette Blend are fighting it out as my go-to aromatic...after three years still no winner!