None provided.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
ContentsBlack Cavendish
FlavoringFruit / Citrus
CutRope
Strength
Taste

Very Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I just finished off a two bowl sample given to me from a forum friend and fellow TR reviewer of this and I loved it so much that I just ordered some more today. My experience with strong blends made by a company by the name of Gawith have not been to favorable. I despised 1792 and BRN4 also slightly repulses me.

So I approached this blend with some trepidation. I was expecting the heavy industrialized nasty diesel like taste that I associate with those other two blends and was pleased that I didn't get any of that. I also didn't get a heavy aromatic tanning lotion coconut taste. What I got was a very pleasant smoke with a lot of nicotine.

I think the coconut topping in combination with some Cavendish keeps this one an easy smoker. Anyway, I know I haven't smoked a lot of it, but FWIW this is my impression. If someone wanted to try one of these ropes this is the one I would recommend trying first.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable

Very close to Irish Brown Twist, with a mild coconut casing.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

If I was asked to recommend an aromatic with a nicotine punch, this would be it. I don't find this rope too strong nicotine wise, but you can feel the affects after a full bowl. Great coconut aroma in the bag, that transfers to the smoke without being sickly sweet or cloying. A bit moist fresh, but a 20 minute rest after slicing into coins and rubbing out works for me. If you are searching for an aromatic that can lighten your head, give this one a spin. Pun intended.

Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I was gifted some G&H Coconut Rope that had already been sliced, diced and rubbed. So, my review is based on smoking a couple of bowls (days apart) with the cut up and rubbed version.

When I opened the pouch and whiffed the contents I admit that taking a pass on smoking it was considered. The Coconut/Almonds smell was off putting. I switched to a pipe reserved for true aromatics and loaded up the first bowl. The first few drags did produce a heavy Coconut taste but the presentation switched quickly into a pleasant and familiar G&H Lakeland style smoke. The added flavoring (natural, I might add), stuck with me throughout the bowl but added rather than detracted from the overall presentation. Not something I personally would appreciate very often, but a unique and fun natural aromatic smoke for sure.

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (36)
Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My only previous experience with a rope tobacco is Samuel Gawith Brown #4 and while I enjoyed it I felt there was something lacking in the blend. It seemed just a little too bitter in the sense of a cigar. Not in a bad way but just too much of it for my taste (this is coming from a formerly exclusive cigar smoker so take that as you may). G&H Sweet Coconut Twist succeeds where Brown #4 failed for me. There is just a notch up on the sweetness level that plays perfectly with the dark notes of the rope and balances out with the bitterness of the wrapper. Much like a balanced beer that has a good interplay between the bitter hops and sweet malt.

I would suggest taking your smallest pipe, slicing up the rope into thin disks, rub the disks out gently, let dry for 20 minutes or so to the desired dryness and pack your pipe lightly. This seems to work quite well and avoids a nicotine overdose that would push you over the edge from comfortable to sea sick. It certainly does have a fair amount of nicotine but I think this blend is still approachable as long as you take some caution and respect the potency of the rope. I might suggest that new pipe smokers get a little experience under their belt before chasing after this one.

On light up there is a nice blast of sweetness with only the faintest breath of something resembling coconut. The rope smells only slightly of coconut and I think it would be folly to think of this as an aromatic. Scented would be the right phrase. I detected no bite as I slowly puffed along and encountered a nice full bodied smoke that was sweet, dark, African Virginias along with a tiny bit of bitterness that can be likened to my previous hops/malt analogy. It's a bit monochromatic throughout the bowl but it never becomes tiring.

If you're in the mood for a strong smoke that's a cut above the rest then I would most heartily suggest this one.

Ixtlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ixtlan (18)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

This was my first venture into the Twist arena. After trying it moist and dry (both separated) I cannot detect a coconut taste at all. I do taste a cigar type aftertaste however. Also the room note has a hint of cigars also. Although I find this a once and a while change from the aromatics I generally lite up. I do not particularly enjoy it. I may update my posting later after I have a bot more experience with the rope preparation.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (73)
Very Strong Very Mild Very Full Strong

I tried this rope in hopes that a Coconut flavor would be quite strongly imparted but alas, it's just another monochromatic black rope. Frankly, the strength of the rope dominated the little bit of Coconut flavoring that I smelled on the top of the tobacco.

If you like the ropes then this may do the trick for you. Otherwise, pass this one up unless it's a free sample.

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (38)
Very Strong Very Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This is basically brown twist with a coconut topping. The coconut topping burns off almost immediately. However, the underlying tobacco is awesome. Nice and string. It is hard to prepare and hard to light though.

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (48)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

I havent had time to write reviews on all the twist flavors I have. But I wanted to recommend the Coconut as what I feel may be the best of the aromatic brown twists. This is the sweetest of the twists, and unlike the rum, whiskey, and cherry, the flavor is nicely detectable; this is not to say that the others aren't excellent to smoke. But with so many choices, I think I'd like to recommend a collection including the following: Maple, Coconut, Happy Bogie, and Black X as these realy stand out as interesting and flavorful smokes.

Bag note is floral and toasted coconut. I'm admittedly lazy and I prepare my twists by taking a 6mm slice and grinding it in an electric coffee grinder, then I sprinkle the tobacco onto a paper towell to dry for 20 minutes. If it's sunny, i put the tobacco in the sunlight instead. Using this method, I get a very smokable bowl with a much easier relight. Also, tongue bite is greatly reduced as I can focus on enjoying this wonderful tobacco, instead of struggling to keep it lit. Flavor is excellent, dark caramelized Virginia with a sweet toasted coconut to the bottom of the bowl.

I know that the brown twists are strong N level, but have never had any nausea from them. Let's just say that I have been drunk on nicotine a few times! And with every twist, I'm always a bit disappointed when the bowl is finished because I'd like it to last forever! But there comes a time when taking a break is the sensible thing to do. Smokingpipes.com has been a great resource for the Gawith Twists, and I usually get a quarter of an ounce more than I ordered; in other words, their ounces are heavy. All of the twists are excellent when I get them, but they get better with age too. Happy smoking. Hope this review is helpful.

Pipe Used: MM DIPLOMAT COB

Burn = 9;

After Taste = 8;

Raw Score = 53;

Rated Percentage = 88%;

Comment = Smooth, Strong Strength, Full Body Tobacco Flavor (but no coconut Flavor), has a slight After Taste, White Ash Burn.

If you are one who likes to “play” with your tobacco, by all means get this “Twist” form of tobacco, you can spend countless hours “Slicing, Dicing and Drying” this “Twist” tobacco before it is ready to smoke. I admit I am a lazy pipe smoker so I didn't find this necessary extra preparation exercise to be of any value to heighten my pipe smoking enjoyment. You had better have a sizable ignition source on hand because you are going to need a lot of BTU's to get this “Twist” tobacco to light. Once you achieve the first ignition you will need to have your best “Tamping Tool” at the ready to handle the endless re-packings and re-lights that this “Twist” form of tobacco requires. Perhaps you have detected that the “Twist” form of tobacco is not my “cup of tea”.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Well, I did get this as a free sample, though mine was brown and not black, as OSR mentioned. (hope I'm reviewing the right rope here!) Somehow, this rope really hit me right. I got a load of free samples to start a box pass from a kind soul in a forum.....most of what I tried were ropes, and this one did the trick. To me, it was just like a normal brown rope with, well, a coconut twist. Maybe it was aged, because it sure was smooth. The smoothest rope I've ever smoked. I've just located a place to get it online, marscigar, and I'll update this when I've smoked some more. If you like ropes, this is a strange, but good choice. 4 stars!

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)
Very Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I just received a couple ounces of this today. I have been wanting to try a rope tobacco and this seemed like a good choice. This is a high quality tobacco with a very light topping of coconut (I assume). It doesn't really taste like coconut but it is nice and sweet and pleasant tasting. There is somewhat of a cigar type of room note that goes along with it. It is also very VERY strong. I rubbed out a couple small coins I cut from it and lit em up. Halfway through the bowl I thought my head was going to fall off. Tread lightly my friends, until you get a feel for how much of this you can handle. With that being said it is of good quality and excellent bang for the buck, it will take me some time to work through a few ounces but that is perfectly ok with me, there is plenty of room in the cellar. I recommend this blend for when everything else just isn't strong enough and you would rather not go for a full english blend.

Purchased From: www.smokingpipes.com

Similar Blends: Getting hit in the head with a blunt object..

serif365 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
serif365 (20)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

I had some trouble keeping this leaf lit but once I got it going it burned well. I sliced off a few little coins, rubbed them out and stuffed them into a small cob pipe. There's plenty of flavor but I can't state that I detected anything I could say resembled coconut. The flavor was sweet and I kept thinking of some of the better cigars I've smoked. The nicotine left me with a pleasant buzz and I was glad I had chosen a SMALL PIPE to smoke this bowl. This is quality tobacco but I'm still trying to pen down the actual flavor.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

A previous reviewer has said that "coconut" and "tobacco" are words that don't belong in the same sentence. Couldn't agree more. I'm not sure what the flavour actually is (it doesn't taste like coconut to me), but I don't like it and I don't think tobacco should taste of it. Each to his own; some people like it, after all. Try it (in a small bowl) if you like a smoke with an arresting flavour. It's cool and slow, which are plus points; but so are many tobaccos that don't violate the taste-buds in the way that this one does. It's as rough as a badger's ear if you smoke it too quickly. If my aged grandma got down on her poor old bony knees and begged me to smoke it, I would. Not otherwise, though. SWMBO and Klio were very satirical about the room note. Klio rushed outside, rolled on the grass, and presently brought a dead mouse in. Says it all, really.

StylesSharpman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StylesSharpman (24)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Dint like this one so much. smell like tanning oil :/

browncoat817 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
browncoat817 (3)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is one of only two rope tobaccos I've tried, the other being GH&Co. maple twist. I didn't expect to like this one as much as I did, but was extremely surprised. I will try to update the review after I smoke a few more bowls, but so far this is going to be a regular staple in my rotation.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I have really grown to like GH tobaccos and knowing that the scents of GH are not really that of an aromatic (at least in my book)I find that I am attracted to the strength of the brand. Coconut Twist doesn't fall short in the strength department. When I first received my "rope" the scent was very strong, confirming that the word coconut and tobacco don't belong in the same sentance. However, upon lighting, the scent quietly moved to the background leaving only a small amount of coconut flavor that actually worked well with the tobacco. CT fell short for me because even though I rubbed it out well and made sure that the wrapper was well mixed with the filler, I still found it to grow bitter as the bottom third of the bowl approached. Having smoked a lot of GH tobacco's I took care in smoking it slowly, but CT still left my mouth without taste for the following two days. I opted to try CT with another pipe and the result was the same. This is a quality tobacco that mixes well with its unusual scent, but it simply isn't for me.

beardedhermit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beardedhermit (30)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Smells like Hawaiian tropic dark tanning oil. Topping interferes with the dark earthy taste of this twist.

Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

I can't really add much to the previous review-it nails this tobacco perfectly. Just like Strongirish, I found that the strong bag aroma of coconuts does not translate to the actual smoke beyond the first few puffs, and that this tobacco is very cigar like. But if all the cigars I've tried tasted like this, I might smoke more of them. Really good stuff, and I will be glad to have some around. I will update when I have really gotten to know this rope, especially after it has started to age. I have it in a jar already. From the picture on the retailer's website, I expected it to be a blacker, thinner rope, but it is the size of S. Gawith Brown #4, and only a little darker.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I frequently hear people saying that a lot of ropes taste like motor oil. I like to smoke ropes and I know what they mean but I liken it more to the flavor of a maduto cigar versus a Connecticut type wrapper. When I was sent this rope to sample and review, I was expecting this type of flavor, but my expectations quickly changed. This is a very pretty rope, nice and soft and looking like a very nice cigar. The coconut flavoring that is added makes it smell great in the bag, and I expected to find here a very strong aromatic. I sliced this into coins and set it out to dry for several hours but also took some right out of the container and rubbed it out as is and smoked it right off. I think after smoking several bowls of this both dry, medium dry and as is and it is better without drying. It is a medium brown color and slices quite easily. It rubs out to nice thick ribbon rough cut flakes of varying colors of brown. I was easy to pack into my pipe but did take several lights to get it going but once lit, it sustained a nice slow burn and did not require more than one relite to the bottom.

Upon sitting back to enjoy a nice long slow smoke of this, I was very surprised that the coconut flavor did not really come through into the smoke. It really tasted much like a nice cigar with a rich, creamy, flavorful smoke, with a sweet overtone. Did not taste like an aromatic but more like a sweet VA but very rich and full. It is amedium to strong smoke but does not bite at all and there is none of the motor oil taste of other rope. A beginner could smoke this with no problems. I must state that if you accidently enhale some of the smoke, it is very strong and harsh. This one needs to be savored nice and slow. It has a great room note due to the coconut additive and it does leave a nice seet taste on the palette after finishing the bowl. It burns down to a nice dry dark gray ash leaving no gunk in the heal of the pipe at all. I have enjoyed the numerous smokes I have had of this and I higly recomment this blend. It would be a great introduction to ropes.

Cantrell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cantrell (9)
Extremely Strong Strong Full Strong

Absolutly Vile, no coconut taste whatsoever more like a novelty cigar purchased in china town. not even worth the effort of cutting and drying the rope. left an awefull taste in my mouth similar to some sort of hotel shampoo.

You have been warned!

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Strong Very Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I've got a real thing for the amazing twists from the Gawith twins.

A few months back an estate pipe arrived and after a double dose of pipe sweetening, reaming, etc., I fired up a bowl of some neutral Burley. And what did it taste like? Coconut. Being a suggestible soul, I developed an immediate craving for coconut. And after about 30 seconds of research, I ordered 8 oz of this blend. (Suggestible and impulsive and optimistic all in one, it seems). I've long been a fan of Sam Gawith's ropes and I figured that Gawith & Hoggarth must be equally adept at producing them.

And so they are.

When a twist arrives at my door, I tend to have at it with a big chef's knife. Most of it I cut it into segments about 2 inches long and stuff into jars. For immediate smoking, I just chop some roughly and toss it into a smaller jar. I rub it out further before I load and I find that drying to the crispy stage seems to work best for me.

Coconut twist is not an aromatic in the usual sense: there's nothing remotely goopy or bitey about it. It is first and foremost a powerful brown rope bursting with classic African Virginia intensity and depth. On top of that robust, cigarish tobacco flavor is a very subtle coconut quality that tends to diminish as the ash builds.

I often read how the various ropes are 'not for beginners,' but I don't think I agree. I think that anyone coming to the pipe from a different form of tobacco--cigars, cigarettes, or chew--might be best starting with these nicotine-rich, inspiring tabacs. It's true, of course, that some find these tabacs to be utterly vile, gruesomely potent, so be forewarned. But I think they're a great historical introduction to the pleasures of the pipe.

Quick_nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quick_nick (27)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the third rope tobacco I have tried and I like all of them however I love this stuff, it's fantastic. It is oily and firm in the bag and it prepares quite nice. I just cut a few pieces off and rub them together then fill. My only small complaint is that it can be a bugger to keep lit sometimes. Don't be put off by the coconut smell in the bag as I was. It took me quite some time to try it after I bought it and I was kicking my self for waiting so long. If you like Black XX or Sweet rum Twist you should enjoy this stuff; top notch!

Jocose Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jocose (12)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

A nice thick, tightly wrapped, moist and oily brown rope with a light coconut flavor. The added flavor is nicely done and fits well with the Virginia's. This also makes a great chew.

After the topping fades the unmistakable and mouthwatering brown rope flavor picks up and delivers a smooth, satisfying smoke that can burn for what seems like hours, even in a small bowl.

Like all ropes, tongue bite and harshness are nonexistent, even if you puff like a fat man running a 100 yd. dash. Ropes are generally more expensive than other GH offerings, but considering the extra labor involved in spinning them and the quality and performance of the product, I will continue to cellar them despite the extra cost.

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have become interested in furthering my tobacco experience by trying some rope tobacs, and so approached my local tobacconist. He is a long-time pipe man, and a lover of stout tobacs, including those of the rope variety. After a search through his back stock, he came up with G&H Coconut Twist. I hesitated, as I am not much of an aromatic smoker. He knows that I enjoy Samuel Gawith?s Chocolate Flake, however, and he urged me to give this one a go. I?m very glad I did.

Appearance: It?s a rope. It?s dark brown and oily, with a few blond strands in evidence.

Pouch aroma: My Good Girl sums it up best. This stuff smells just like an Almond Joy candy bar.

Preparation: I sliced off some coins of the rope with a cigar cutter. They were damp to the touch and very oily. I?m of the fold-n-stuff school where flakes are concerned, so I stuffed a few of the coins into a reliable flake pipe and left it to dry overnight.

First third: This stuff is dense, and so difficult to get going, but not anymore so than a flake. The first match brings a blast of the sweet flavor of milk chocolate and coconut, true to the pouch aroma. It?s very nice, and not at all artificial or cloying. That sweetness settles right down, though, and by the fourth of fifth puff the major player is the smooth and cool Virginia tobacco. It?s a little tingly, but this stuff burns so slowly, there?s not much of a chance of over-heating the pipe or dealing with any bite.

Second third: A re-light doesn?t give the blast of sweetness that the first light brings. What I taste here is the delicious flavor of a well-behaved air-cured Virginia. I always suspect Virginias of having a little Burley added for body, but I don?t think there?s anything here but the Virginias advertised. The sweetness, which is only that and now cannot be called coconut flavoring stays muted and very far in the background, greatly complimenting the VA flavors.

Rope tobacs have the reputation of having a high nicotine content, but in several bowls of this fine weed I haven?t seen evidence of this. Oh, the vitamin N is present, but no more so than, say, Samuel Gawith?s Full Virginia Flake.

Final third: The density of ash requires me to dump some of it for a final re-light. Virginia enthusiasts know that the last half of the bowl is the real pay-off, and this tobac is no different. This isn?t a highly-complex tobac, but it develops well, and the final third of the bowl is rich and satisfying. The tobac needs to be broken up with the pipe tool in order to smoke to the bottom. There is no dottle, only ash.

Recommendations: Highly recommended for the Virginia lover. Smokers of Full Virginia Flake, Dark Star and the like will enjoy this. Those who enjoy Samuel Gawith?s Chocolate Flake will feel right at home. Aromatic smokers will enjoy themselves and be treated to a fine Virginia tobac experience. English and Balkan smokers will find an enjoyable smoke that will bring no complaints from others in the room, and very likely compliments.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (45)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Ajaj, said it right. The coconut is just there and not too strong. Id smoke this more but I like smoking more than prepping the ropes. But its a good one.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Strong

This rope is not your typical GH offering in that it has just a hint of the usual GH taste, however, the presence of coconut is there. This is a very mild aromatic and I recommend it to those who wish to enter the world of ropes and twists. It's especially nice as a "relaxing in the hot sun" smoke.