The story of the Grey Man of Pawley's Island is one of the best known and most enduring tales of the South Carolina Low Country. No one is certain who the Grey Man was in life, but all agree that those who encounter his spirit wandering the beach of Pawleys should pay heed since he's always the harbinger of a huge storm. Like the Gray Man himself, the Grey Man Port O' Call is no more; once a favorite watering hole, a huge blow years ago left it nothing but a memory. But like the Grey Man, there are those who say the Port O' Call is still lively on certain nights and if the wind is just right, you can hear the laughter and toasts being made and catch the faint aroma of the house tobacco wafting over the dunes...

BrandTavern Tobacco Co.
Blended BySamuel Gawith
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Very Mild, Mild, Strong
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Full
2.3
Warwick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Warwick (22)

The tin arrived with no professional label on it. Instead, it was apparently an inkjet-printer generated ill-fitting sticker that hung over the sides of the tin. Inside, there was a simple plastic bag that held the flakes, which occupied only about half of the SG-sized tin. I have to say I was disappointed by this presentation of a high-priced blend.

The flakes were loosely formed, about the right moisture level, slightly mottled, mostly dark brown. The aroma was, and still is, unusual to me. I keep thinking "oranges". It's not overly strong, but I can't quite place it, other to say that it seems more citrus-like rather than a raisiny-VA aroma.

I've only had a couple of bowls so the flavor comments are very tentative.

On first light, there is a definite floral/soapy Lakeland note. This stays throughout the bowl to one degree or another. There seems to be a definite topping or casing which add a light, citrus-like(?), note to the flavor. The VA seems to be a steady, dark base which is fairly constant in flavor. I don't have a good comparison; I'd say its darker than Marlin Flake, but not nearly as dark as FVF.

There is little sweetness (which is fine by me). Normally a flake of this nature would bite me quite a bit, especially since I overdried a couple of bowls of flakes to crispness. But there is virtually no bite. Between the lack of bite and the smokey bass notes, I have to guess there is perique here, but I'm not a VA/P expert.

The room note is medium, typically VA but with interesting notes (presumably from the toppings/casings) that kept me going back to smell the smoke as it wafted up. Along with the subtleties in the flavorings, this adds interest to the experience. I think without these features, this blend would be a rather dull smoke.

The flavoring is a bit odd, and the Lakeland note has its share of both fans and detractors. However, I think I am warming up to this blend. It is interesting, full, and well-behaved. As it stands, I doubt I'll buy it again, given the price, along with this not being quite my kind of blend.

kbosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kbosi (15)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I find this blend to my liking. I normaly smoke English blends but for a change of taste I find Grey man flake very enjoyable

Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

These nicely prepared flakes ~ 3"x1.5"x1/16" have an ideal moisture content and the packing, lighting and burn rate are great with no relights needed even with no rubout when packing. However, I had a hard time getting started, due to intense floral tin aroma. The taste was no better and a strong Lakeland 'soapy' influence spoiled the smoke for me from start to finish. Unless you prefer these Lakeland blends, don't bother with this one. In my view, the Gray Man just should keep walking and take this blend with him.