Pure 100% top-grade leaf with no additives or fillers that marries well & burns slow. No heel or residue. These blends are made from the highest quality tobacco. Buttered Rum has a rich, smooth and creamy flavor for a nice all day smoke.

BrandIwan Ries
Taste

tennessee texan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tennessee texan (21)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

I received a sample of this aromatic tobacco, along with many other samples. I do not normally smoke aromatics, however I did enjoy this one. The taste was quite good and the tobacco burned well. A lot of mosture in the ziploc package, but did not gunk up my pipe.

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Alternative name: 'Orville Redenbacher's Butterscotch Ashtray.' Not bad in the bag, but when smoked, this becomes just a tad too much like a caramel candy that had a cigarette snubbed out on it.

There's a decent casing here which delivers reasonably rum-like flavor but also leans a bit toward coconutty----really more like a coconut _cooking oil_ kind of flavor, though, which sends the message 'popcorn' to the back of the nose and the sides of the tongue.

In fact, this 'buttered rum' blend is just as soft and sweet and harmless as you always thought smoking karamel-korn popcorn balls would be, though you too probably could also do without the unfortunate ashtray-like qualities that this blend tends to take on as the bowl progresses.

Of course, the Mrs. adores the smell of it, but will she smoke it? I think not.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

For what it is, this is a good aromatic. A bit mild for my taste, but at least it doesn't bite. It burns well and stays lit if packed properly. The flavoring is decent but there is no tobacco taste whatsoever. Then again, I doubt this stuff was ever intended to taste like tobacco. Again, for what it is it is good. It does go well with coffee in the morning.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Very Mild Very Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

If you're looking for natural tobacco flavor, you're looking in the wrong place. Of course, if you were looking for tobacco flavor, you wouldn't be considering a blend marked "Cordial".

A pouch of Buttered Rum Cordial was included in a promo box from Altadis. I decided to give it a shot. Nothing ventured (literally), nothing gained.

The rum adds a very interesting accent to the butterscotch-carmel-ish casing on the black cavendish leaf.

Honestly, I didn't expect to be able to tolerate this stuff. But I am hoping to find a black cav blend that I can use in a meerschaum coloring experiment. This could be it.

Is the flavoring over the top? Yup. Sure is. But it just happens to be a flavor that I find somewhat appealing, so who cares? I can't imagine my realtionship with this blend being a long term one, but again, who cares? Just because you buy and try a tobacco doesn't mean you're married to it. You don't have to smoke it forever.

Get a pouch. Try it. It really isn't bad if you take it for what it is and don't ruin the experience with expectations set too high. It's a tasty departure from more serious tobacco.

Aromatic Al Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aromatic Al (8)
Extremely Mild Very Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

An excellent and powerful casing that delivers in spades. Sadly, it is applied to an extraordinarily tasteless Burley Cavendish tobacco. The tobacco exists only as a delivery vehicle. The tobacco flavor is virtually non-existent, even for an aromatic, and I was often surprised to see smoke coming out of my mouth on exhale as there was no mouth-feel because it has no body and burns so cool. Sometimes, when smoking outside, I would look and see a glowing ball in the bowl when I thought the pipe had gone out.

Again, this is unfortunate because the delicious butter and rum flavoring is the strongest and tastiest I have come across. However, it's like smoking heavily cased hot air. Apply it to a good Virginia Cavendish blend and you would really have something.

Three Star Cordial Buttered Rum fails as an aromatic but makes a good blending tobacco -- to ramp up the aromatic strength of another blend -- as it is very neutral, imparting no tobacco flavor of its own.

Big Blue Jazzman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Blue Jazzman (32)

I mostly smoke va-pers and english blends but occasionally have a sweet tooth and indulge in an aromatic. This one is a fine smoke. Burns clean and cool,doesn't bite,stays lit and delivers a nice room note.Good to keep around for a nice change of pace.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This reminds me to the match of Carmel Rush from MC. Good flavor and change up from my Balkan @ English blends. Fits nicely in rotation when I need to give my taste buds a break when I'm on a smoking binge:)..........And burns to a good clean ash!

Heck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Heck (5)
Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

This is my first aromatic, and my first impressions. I will update this if the experience changes.

Pro's: +No bite +Easy to pack +Stay's lit +Smells just as it's named in the tin and lit

Con's: ~No flavor, or too flat for me to notice

That's a big one on my list. After reading the other reviews, I bought a can. Up to that point I have been enjoying a English blend, so maybe the flavor was just too muted. But all the other reviewers experienced a sweet taste. It smells good, but sweet is one of the few flavors you get on your tongue, even with a cold. I get none. For me it's a flavorless smoke in my mouth. I prefer tobaccos that I can taste, I try to avoid breathing the smoke. This ones easy for anyone with any experience to smoke, but it's all about the room note to me.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This blend is great ! A broad cut cavendish that burns well and dry and you can taste the rum ! Unreal .... this may be the best aromatic I've had . If you like aromatics I think you'd be foolish not to try this one. Damn good !... update... finished the bag [ bummer ].... kids loved it , wife wanted to smoke it !? and did { can you imagine ] This blend is a hit at my home ! Another update : This is the best damn tobacco in the world !!! Just got a 7 oz can and O.M.G this rocks.... best aromatic in the world ...... Burns perfect ... white ash .... cool ..... taste the rum ! Unfreakin real !!! I'd give it 5 stars

JC Foote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JC Foote (10)
Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Do not let the moisture of this baccy in the pouch scare you. The burn quality is good and lights right up. The rum aroma in the pouch is strong and sweet smelling and you are tempted to eat it...lol. Not sickening sweet though, a very pleasant aroma. The taste of buttered rum engulfs your palate and is easily an all day smoke. The baccy burns down and there is hardly any dottle. If you like aromatics, be sure to put buttered rum on your list to try.

4 stars

pipeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeman (14)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

upon opening the pouch i could immediatly smell the rum,this smelled good enough to eat.I found it to be mild and it was actually quite dry as far as aromatics go,no goop at the bottom of my pipe.the rum flavoring came out right way,at times over powering the cavendish.the aroma was incredible,i can't see anyone complaining over it.all in all i like it and would buy it,i got it free with a bunch of other three star samples.

Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Aromatic blends (and the people who smoke them) seem to catch a lot of flak from those who feel they are not "real" tobacco. There is a bit of truth to this, insofar as so many aromatic blends are cased to hide some rather horrible tobacco. However, to compare a natural blend to an aromatic, is a bit like comparing roast beef to cheesecake. It is pointless.

Taken for what it is, the tobacco equivalent of dessert, this is a very commendable option. It is sticky, sweet, and mild. It burns well, and doesn't bite. I really pulled on this to no ill effect. When the bowl ended, my palate tasted butter rum and the mild nuttiness of Burley. As far as aromatics go, my main problem is that they are too straightforward in their taste, and they become boring. I like to smoke this in a clay cutty, as it doesn't last long enough to wear on me.

If you have an appreciation for this style of blend, and like buttered rum, I think you will thoroughly enjoy it. The zip lock mylar pouch is a nice touch as well.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Every once in awhile we need to indulge. 3 Star CBR is the perfect tobacco for those occasions. A wonderful dessert blend, this is a cordial to be enjoyed after a nice dinner: Fra Angelico, Kijafa, etc. Extremely cased but not cloying, juicy or hot. This will not gum up your pipe or coat your throat like a lozenge. For those seeking the ultimate aromatic 3SBR is a sure winner. I've said it before: IRC makes some of the best American aromatics. When not in a contemplative mood for an English or when your sweet tooth needs satisfaction, this is the one to turn to. Sweet revenge!

Three and half of five sugary stars

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (32)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

"I requested this tobacco to be added to the tobacco review board". I thought it was very worthy of getting reviewd. It is pretty new from the Iwan Ries group and it is a great all day tobacco.It has a nice creamy roomnote and the flavor is excellent.With a little airing out,it smokes cool and needs few relights.It has a nice butter rum flavor which makes it a tongue pleaser from start to finish.Its a sweet tobacco and will statisfy that sugar tooth in all of us.It is better smoked in larger bowl pipes.I have recently stocked up on this and plan to have it in rotation thru out the year. I feel its an all year smoke and should be enjoyed all year. Iwan Ries also had Cherry and Vanilla to go along with this, but I have not tried them yet.Im happy with the Lane Limited versions. So if you havent tried, please do, its a great smoking tobacco! ENJOY MozzMann 2-9-05

Very Mild Very Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Okay buttered rum cordial the name says it all!!!!!!!!!1This is really a very sweet,aromatic,chewy WERTHERS candy in a pipe bowl!It is a black cavendish that has been cased with melted Werthers candy and to tell you the truth when you get a sweet craving and don't want the calories this should do the trick!I like almost all types of pipe tobacco and this is the ultimate American aromatic.There is virtually no tobacco taste ,but boy is this good.It smoke svey dry with little goop.The room aroma is heavenly.It is not for anyone who doesn't like sweet heavily cased tobacco,but if you are one of those who appreciate this style it is probably one of Iwan Ries' finest offerings.