The Lady killer. A black cavendish with aroma that has taken the publics fancy, like no other pipe tobacco in history. Our No.1 seller. The mildest tobacco available anywhere. BLACK TIE- You'll love it and everyone will love you for using it.

ContentsCavendish, Black Cavendish
CutCube
Packaging14oz Tin
Strength
Taste

2.2
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

A freebie with a tobacco order - probably an ounce, although I did not need to smoke more than one bowl of it to know I never want to smoke it again. This appears at first blush to be Sutliff's answer to Captain Black Royal (or Lane's 1Q). But they added extra PG. I'm told PG has a slightly sweetish taste and perhaps that's the reason it seemed kind of fruity and extra sweet, I don't know. But it was too wet to smoke - it was, in fact, drenched in goop. I smoked a bowl with little drying time and it had a chemical, flat taste of vanilla and something I can't identify (perhaps PG). I'd be afraid to smoke this at a black tie event for fear the juice would spit out of the bowl all over my tux! If this is Captain Black Royal, stick with that instead of this.

I decided to experiment with a second bowl but this time dried it out until it was fairly dry. The goop this left in my meerschaum pipe during the first bowl was much lessened, but the taste went completely AWOL. Which wasn't such a bad thing. But drying it took an extremely long time. I thought about cooking it in the microwave but decided it wasn't worth the extra effort. This is an extremely poor tobacco blend, IMHO. If it's trying to be CBR, it fails. If it's not trying to be CBR, it fails. It does, however, smell very nice, so all is not lost.

Pipe Used: meerschaum

Purchased From: freebie

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I've smoked numerous tobaccos and out of all of them this one had the most humectant. In fact, I think they just added tobacco as a condiment to a tub of vanilla and humectant. It has no flavor, bits wet and goopy and produces little more than steam. I can find absolutely not positive attributes in this blend.

raadman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raadman (31)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Recieved this as a free sample with an estate pipe I purchased from Dead Man's Pipes.com. The pipe was great...the tobacco was not...

Kriswill Chief

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)
Very Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Having strayed from aromatics years ago and wanted to try something as an occasional change of pace, upon recommendation of a friend,I ordered a tub of Whitehall Black Tie. This is by far the WORST tobacco I have ever encountered. It makes Captain Black White Label(an old favorite of mine)seem like a Dunhill blend by comparison. The PPG content is so high the tobacco out of the tub is sticky and greasy and actually stuck to my fingers. It was extremely difficult to light, and after half a pipe, it tasted so bad I had to quit smoking it. It left my pipe gurgling and wet, and an aftertaste in my mouth so bad I had to go rinse my mouth out with mouthwash! I then had to wash my hands several times to get the PPG and odor of the tobacco off my hands! While my friends said it smelled great as advertised, this is it's ONLY positive attribute. Don't waste your money on this one, it is truly awful!!

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Undoubtedly the worst excuse for pipe tobacco that I have encountered to date. The only thing worse would be Mixture 79. The PPG content in this stuff alone could make it last for centuries without drying out. It's basically designed to gain the approval of those around you without offering anything to the pipe smoker. It really sucks.

zachchandler92 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zachchandler92 (5)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I just got my can of it today and I love it. I smoked it as hot as I dared and it didn't bite. My pipe cooled down to a comfortable level within a minute. Right out of the can, it was a little moist and was a little difficult to light, but manageable. I'd recommend letting it sit open for a day or loading a pipe pouch with it before you plan to smoke.

Tin note: Raisins, milk chocolate

Room note: Fig, very mild and pleasant. girlfriend doesn't mind it. Looks like I've found an inside smoke!

Taste: Not a lot of taste, but what is present is mild, smooth, sweet, and slightly tangy, with more of the fig taste. Sure beats the other drug store blends I've tried like Sir Walter Raleigh, Sail, and Captain Black. Inhaling it even went smooth. After a re-light, the flavor picked up strength and got a slight spice to it, but retaining the fig.

Overall: I could smoke this all day. Smoke was pretty mild and wispy. Despite its moisture in the can, I haven't needed a pipe cleaner yet and I'm not even using a balsa filter. I'd recommend this to beginning smokers and experienced smokers who can appreciate subtlety in flavor. It's a good morning tobacco and would pair well with a blonde roast of coffee, milk, or sweetened black tea.

Dragon Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dragon Smoke (3)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Got this free sample from Dead Mans Pipes...My pipes were awesome and so was this tobacco. I actuall orded a tin of it from a web page this morning.

It smelled really good throught the plastic bag and was better in my pipe.

I have to say this my be my new favorite.

dutch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dutch (5)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

i just cant stop talking about whitehall black tie pipe tobacco, beleive me i have tried a lot of brands and ofcourse discouraged and ended up trowing it away, it can get quite expensive. you can buy a top notch pipe for what it cost in tobacco. i have to admit i also smoke cigaretts and when you put the two taste together it kills the taste of the whitehall, but since i have tried whitehall, well that means less cigaretts. the other night i took out my stanwell, this is also a good pipe to smoke whitehall in, the taste came through and ofcourse the aroma. last but not least the maker of this blend came up with a winner.again i highly recommend and rate it four stars. thank you DUTCH

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Like Felicity Kendal, it's sweetly pretty.

Coconutty, almondy, vanilla-y, and not just a little gurggly. A soft, Boston creme pie cavendish-y sort of stuff. Certainly sweet, but by no means gooey.

Aromatic fans and their wives will dig it. The stuff lingers in the briar, though, so be forewarned.

If you like Aromatics and Vanilla, give this four stars. Reminds me of MacBarens' Vanilla Creme. A bit too damp but lights o.k. This is all about the smell though. An indoor smoke if ever there was one. The only drawback is that if you don't like it you own a whole tub!

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (73)
Very Mild Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

Really, not bad for a domestic blend consisting of golden and black cavendish tobaccos. Its' the black cavendish that gives this blend a somewhat unique character. It has to be fire cured leaf because a mild but noticeable degree of smokiness comes through in the aroma. The flavoring to this black leaf is a seemingly mild vanilla (not over the top) and to the blend as a whole what I think, but uncertain is a discrete note of coconut. It's flavor is actually lightly sweet, not sickeningly so. The degree and complexity of aroma gives this blend an incrediable fragrance that was even appreciated by myself who does not normally smoke this type of tobacco. The sweet smoky vanilla scent lingered in my nostrals long after I had finished one or two pipefuls like a vivid olfactory halucination. I would not be suprised like the tin says that even non-smokers would be captivated by the aroma. So captivated in fact that they would patiently wait in front of you, in a trance, waiting to do thy bidding. Captain Black Royal smokers and the like should try this one.

- Recommended