His rich blend combines the finest Orange & Red Virginias with a touch of nutty Burley and enough Turkish, Cyprian & Syrian Latakia to make this a classic medium Balkan mixture, then seasons it with a extra measure of premium St. James Perique to satisfy even the toughest of critics.

BrandJack's Tobacco
Taste
Holmlover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Holmlover (16)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This has to be one of the most intelligently blended perique mixtures ever. You get a good all around latakia/virginia smoke, with just the perfect hint of perique. It just seems to have the correct amount of ingredients and works perfectly in both taste and olfactory results. Sometimes things work out just right.

Well,I hate to go against the crowd here,but there seems to be a certain "herd mentality". I notice it with Dunhill reviews and now Jack's tobaccos reviews.Jack's Tobacco Shop has to be one of the friendliest and most accommodating shops I have ever been in.Jack and Mary are absolutely wonderful people and I urge you to visit their shop and buy the great C&D and McClelland blends they have available. As far as their own house blends go-there is much to be desired.I feel they are at best average and do not approach the quality of Pipeworks or Iwan ries. OK BAYOU is appropriately named. It is just that -OK. A rather dull and non descript blend of quality yet very bland tasting tobaccos. I tried about 5 of their blends and won't even bother reviewing them. They are just very unexciting. This is a little better than House of Windsor blends. I would skip most of their stuff and concentrate on their great pipes and wonderful offerings from some of the better houses.Again,Great shop,Great people and worth a trip. Avoid their house blends and buy their other stuff.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

I just opened a jar of OK Bayou that I have had sealed since its release. Comparing it to my notes from my initial introduction to the blend, I have to say that it has gotten even better.

I liked it then, I like it more now. Robust, full of flavor. Never a dull moment. The Burley seems farther in the background than it once was, and the Va's are more prominent.

Too bad the Syrian is all gone - this would be one to have on your regular rotation. I will continue to hoard what I have and enjoy it on occasion.

If you can get your hands on some, by all means, savor it!

Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

This Bayou Dog is a very laid back puppy in the strength department, but the taste is aggressive and unique.

This might be the first time I ever tasted a Balkan style blend with so much Burley and Perique. The descriptive says, "a touch of Burley," but I detected a lot of tell-tale Burley nuttiness once I set fire to the leaf from the pouch I received. Latakia, Turkish, Virginia, Burley and Perique make this blend complex, and there was quite a battle going on throughout the smoke as the various leaf types were vying for top billing.

Two things I have noticed about Jack's Blends that I like. They always cut the leaf in a manner that is easy to load and the moisture content is almost perfect.

If you like mild complexity, Bayou Dog might be your pooch.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

December 2005. OK Bayou is definitely 'OK' by me.I waited before giving my review of this superb blend.Why? Even though I totally loved it when I first smoked it,I did realise some ageing was required for the best results,and I was certainly right. After ageing for one month there was a vast improvment,so I decided to age it for at least 6 months.When lighting the aged tobacco I thought WOW,this is even better,than I could ever imagine! Lighting was easy and the whole blend was well rounded with no sharp edges.The virginia was there at the forefront followed by the slight no bite burley taste,the perique made a suttle show without being overpowering in the background along with the latakia. A great all day smoke,or anytime smoke.Not to light and not to strong,all round pleasant. "Delicious and Highly recommended"

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)

I was surprised that no one had reviewed this tobacco yet.

I received the sample with a large number of other goodies - and was quite anxious to try this after enjoying both Moose Scat and Acadian Coast.

OK Bayou has some of the qualities of Bayou Night by C+D - a VA/P Americana augmented by turkish and other traditionally "English" tobacco mixtures. I believe a light topping is present though it is almost too faint to discern at times which, IMO, is a properly applied topping.

Perhaps most prominent flavors were the burley and turkish - conveying an entirely different experience than I had expected - much more cigar like and musky. This tobacco is mostly a "dark" flavored blend with the sweetness and spice of the VA/P combination occasionally creeping in.

While pleasing, I did not find it so exceptional that I plan to order a pound of it. I believe that in this category Acadian Coast (arguably more traditionally "VA/P") is Jack's stronger entry - far more unique and bold in presentation. Though OK Bayou is certainly...OK.