Rich in natural sweetness, soft delicate flavour, medium strength.

Notes: No Longer Produced

BrandDunhill
Blended ByDunhill
Strength
Taste

3.8

My definition of the term "good friend" has expanded. Is a good friend someone who is always there for you and you for him? Sure. Is a good friend someone who helps you bury the bodies? Yep! Is a good friend someone who pays an exhorbitant amount of money for a long out of production pipe tobacco, calmly and unexpectedly gives you half and expects nothing in return? Oh, yeah!

Deep dark ribbon cut - somewhere between a ribbon and a shag - of straight virginia leaf with a tin nose of a hayfield crossed with tealeaf field, but much milder and with an underlying current of earthiness. Using a careful load that I reserve for shags, this took the match easily, mostly because it was fairly dry. But not too dry. Initials puffs were of the most exquisite virginia tobacco I've ever smoked. In short order it calmed down and became... the most exquisite virginia tobacco I've ever smoked. In other words, the initial lightup, while incredibly sublime, was no match for this blend once it got itself into the groove. The closest I can come to comparing it to another blend, flavor-wise, is to think of it as an aged tin of Sam Gawith's Full Virginia Shag (which doesn't exist to my knowledge, but FVF smokers will understand my analogy). It has that same heady roastiness of mild sweetness and full flavor with the hay/grass stuff toned way down. More of a lightly toasted wheat bread flavor. It's best feature was that no matter how hard I puffed, I could not get this to lose its cool. It stayed mellow and rich throughout each bowl (I smoked 4 and am saving the rest for special occasions, but I had trouble stopping at 4!) and throughly unperturbed. In fact, this one seemed to prefer moderate puffing over sipping - a little extra cooking in the bowl was to its liking, and to mine. This is the kind of tobacco that if I had access to as much as I wanted, I would smoke no other VA. Nothing else comes close enough. I consider myself hugely fortunate to be able to have smoked it.

Another definition of good friend... someone who, even though supremely motivated to obtain it, does not exhibit excessive greed and ask for the empty tin after having been awarded half its contents. :) And I expect my good friend will find a way for me to repay him down the road, which I will be most pleased to do!

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: 35+ years

Adam_Beckmark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adam_Beckmark (10)

Would love to see this great tobacco in production again.

goldfinger63 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
goldfinger63 (13)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

i finished the last tin i had six months ago after being cellered since 1981.i enjoyed smoking this blend, knowing it was a true dunhill.what a relaxing smoke.well worth hunting for.

I know I've said this before, but when jakob positively reviews a tobacco, I "get me some," because our tastes are similar. I must say, it took awhile before I was able to run down a couple of tins of Ye Olde Signe, but the hunt was worth it.

I popped the tin to discover the leaf was as shag cut as any I've ever seen. Is there such a thing as Angel Hair cut? Well, that's the way I'll describe this leaf because it is truly "heavenly!"

The tin bouquet was almost identical to taking a whiff of a Lipton's tea bag. The dark and finely shredded leaf does not pack easily as the strands are long. I could have chopped it up in my one speed food processor which I use to make long cut blends managable, but didn't want to chance this stuff burning too fast since it was quite dry out of the tin.

Once lit, my palate received wave after wave of good, stout, straight Virginia flavor. I also got plastered by the Nicotine level. There is no real sweetness in Ye Olde Signe, just a goode olde fashionede smoke.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)

Oh sweet heaven this is good stuff!!

Ye Olde Signe went out of production in the early eighties, so I have heard. I was lucky to get some sealed tins from 1965 rather cheap. YOS is a dark fine-cut pure VA blended BY Alfred Dunhill, and the quality of the leaf is beyond anything Murray could have done. It does not smell of much in the tin, just plain well stoved VA. Upon lighting, a sweet, soft and velvet like smoke emerges and tingles the taste buds. This product screams QUALITY!

It has this odd sweet & sour quality when lit - not sour as in McClelland; more like Rattray's Dark Fragrant. There is plenty of nicotine and it will never bite. Because of the shag cut, I will advise a bit harder packing than what you normally would do with a ribbon cut tobacco.

The only thing I can compare this to, would be MacGreenock's Dunbar or an unflavoured version on St. Bruno. A shame this went out

Thoroughly recommended. Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark.