Rich in natural sweetness, soft delicate flavour, medium strength.

Notes: No Longer Produced

3.8
goldfinger63 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
goldfinger63 (13)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

i finished the last tin i had six months ago after being cellered since 1981.i enjoyed smoking this blend, knowing it was a true dunhill.what a relaxing smoke.well worth hunting for.

I know I've said this before, but when jakob positively reviews a tobacco, I "get me some," because our tastes are similar. I must say, it took awhile before I was able to run down a couple of tins of Ye Olde Signe, but the hunt was worth it.

I popped the tin to discover the leaf was as shag cut as any I've ever seen. Is there such a thing as Angel Hair cut? Well, that's the way I'll describe this leaf because it is truly "heavenly!"

The tin bouquet was almost identical to taking a whiff of a Lipton's tea bag. The dark and finely shredded leaf does not pack easily as the strands are long. I could have chopped it up in my one speed food processor which I use to make long cut blends managable, but didn't want to chance this stuff burning too fast since it was quite dry out of the tin.

Once lit, my palate received wave after wave of good, stout, straight Virginia flavor. I also got plastered by the Nicotine level. There is no real sweetness in Ye Olde Signe, just a goode olde fashionede smoke.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)

Oh sweet heaven this is good stuff!!

Ye Olde Signe went out of production in the early eighties, so I have heard. I was lucky to get some sealed tins from 1965 rather cheap. YOS is a dark fine-cut pure VA blended BY Alfred Dunhill, and the quality of the leaf is beyond anything Murray could have done. It does not smell of much in the tin, just plain well stoved VA. Upon lighting, a sweet, soft and velvet like smoke emerges and tingles the taste buds. This product screams QUALITY!

It has this odd sweet & sour quality when lit - not sour as in McClelland; more like Rattray's Dark Fragrant. There is plenty of nicotine and it will never bite. Because of the shag cut, I will advise a bit harder packing than what you normally would do with a ribbon cut tobacco.

The only thing I can compare this to, would be MacGreenock's Dunbar or an unflavoured version on St. Bruno. A shame this went out

Thoroughly recommended. Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark.

Adam_Beckmark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adam_Beckmark (10)

Would love to see this great tobacco in production again.