Kentucky and Tennessee White Burley aged until darkened,a very slight top note added, and pressed into cakes. The cakes are then cut and broken up into large flake chunks.

Blended ByMcClelland
2.5
Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I don't always smoke Burley, but when I do it is this, or Mac Baren Burley. A long time ago in a field of Burley in a pretty Tennessee hollow, should be the way this review should start out. Buying this bulk tobacco new and smoking it close there after may give one the impression that this leaf hasn't been aged at all. I had that feling when I first smoked my first bowl full. I let the pound bag of this age for about eight years. If you can wait that long, you will be greatly rewarded with a most unique, scrumptous nutty Burley mellow flavor not found these days.Stays lit easily and It tastes like the old days. Smells the way my grandads pipe smelled. Reward yourself with some aged X-40. You will want to thank me.

This tobacco is sweeter and heavier in nicotine content than Mac Baren's London Burley and Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky. It is certainly made of good quality leaf, and one does not taste any bitterness in the bottom third of the bowl - an attribute of cheaper, "drug store" type Burley blends.

I appreciate Burley tobacco for what it is, and this is quality Burley that has obviously been well taken care of by the blender. It is at just the right moisture content and the chunks can be rubbed to suit your personal tastes. There is a delicate topping that enhances rather than overwhelms the leaf. It also burns clean, cool and dry. So, if you have a craving from time to time for top-shelf Burley, here you go.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)

Rich, solid, nutty burley flavor. None of the "ketchuppy" tang that many McC blends have.

"Soft" is a good descriptor. Soft, mellow smoke. Didn't experience tongue bite, but this blend burned the roof of my mouth in a way no other blend has.

Tastes good: reminiscent of PA, but richer and more refined. Kinda one-dimensional, but I find most burley blends fit that description.

Not bad, but I'd rather get PA or Classic Burley Kake.

I agree with the last reviewer that this blend is softer and better behaved but that McClellands Pressed Burley has a better flavor. Mixing the two together brought excellent results. I recommend it if you like a nice pleasant burley with good if monodimensional flavor. As for this tobacco alone...

I found X-40 to be rather bland. As mentioned before, it burned smoothly and cool and presented no nasty anomalies to pipe or tongue. However, it had none of the flavor of the classic burleys I believe it is intending to replicate. It just sort of "was" - nothing special.

If you find yourself with some of this, blend it with the Pressed Burley (I can't recall the X number) and you'll have a very decent smoke.

Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

I have tried many burley blends from McClelland (x-10 x-30 x-40 x90 etc.) this one seems to me the most friendly and enjoyable one, while I prefer the x-30 pressed burley in flavor, I found it has a very strong bite which is difficult to handle, the x-40 is very soft and delicious, the x-30 is harsh and aggressive on the palate, but is has a wonderful woodsy flavor.

X-40 is definitely a very good quality burley that must have for burley smokers

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)

This is absolutely a burly blend, nothing special, nothing terribly exciting in its self, but as burly blends go, it is an exceptional one. There is good evidence that the leaf quality is top notch not only because of some complexity, but also because it does not get bitey or bitter towards the bottom. This may be because of the top note, but may also be because of the high quality leaf. The blend never gets too hot, and stays lit well. I am not sure if this is the best by its self, but it does go a long way in taming down strong English blends.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Edgworth wannabe, and reminds me why I don't like burley much.

Tin Aroma: Yep. Smells like tin.

Flavor: I think the flavor is in the witness protection program. I couldn't find any.

Room Note: Good comments after the dozen or so puffs I managed to struggle through.

Too many good tobaccos out there to waste time on this one.

Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

If you like Burley get some of this ASAP. Very rich and full Burley taste.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Want to smoke hot air? Then this is your blend. shudders

Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I like aromatics because they are supposed to taste like something not tobacco flavored. I like non-aromatics for natural tasting tobacco. I like English blends for richness and depth. This tobacco has none of the properties of any of the above.It is bland and sweet.It has no discernible flavor and just yields smoke.I was shocked this was a McClelland product-it tasted more llike an Altadis creation of syrup,heat,and air.I'll take a pass. not worth even rating.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (76)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Unremarkable in every sense. There just isnt' much character here. Bland loose broken burley cake with an insignificant casing. A tad bit of sweetness in the aroma but not much else. One could blend this with other ingredients that could work. Virginia is McClelland's game not burley at the moment. As suggested by the old term of opprobrium about burley "Navy Goods!"

-Not Recommended

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I tried this burley because of a recomendation from one of my buddies. I'm a little biased when it comes to rating burley because I often find it to be bland and lacking. This tobacco is a typical burley that is topped with a light maple flavoring. I rated this tobacco as "smoke on occassion" because i use the mildness of x-40 to blend with VA's and orientals. I have found that it really compliments 5100 (red VA) very well, when the mood strikes. I've got a pound that I smoke from and another that I put on the shelf for aging. I believe that the maple topping is a bit much, so hopefully with time some of the sugars will be consumed in its aging.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)

Are you a Burley fan?

Do you like MacBaren Burley blend?

If you answered yes to those two questions,you are going to fall in love with McClelland's X-40!

The tobacco is on the dark side of Brown to medium dark brown.

The chunks actually pack easy and light easy as well. The smoke

is rich and satisfying,lazy,and mellow,and a rather higher

nicotene content than MacBaren Burley blend. The savory taste/flavour

stays the same all the way to the bottom of your bowl. The top

note is hardly noticeable,very restrained,but compliments the

genuine tobacco taste very well.I personally think this is a

much better tobacco than MacBarren Burrley blend. I'll be

purchasing more of this is in 1 lb. bags from now on.