Pure Syrian Latakia, jet black ribbon cut.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend TypeOther
ContentsLatakia
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong, Strong

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a high quality blending/condiment tobacco: full, rich, and smoky as a good Latakia should be. Jim - Durham (UK) philosopher and tobacconist - tells me that there are people who smoke it by itself; but it's hard to see why anybody would enjoy it on its own. Latakia is good in the way that a salad dressing is good: delicious, but only if you have the salad too.

I have to be in the right mood for Latakia, but when I am I like this one very much. I have found it interesting and rewarding to add it to G & H's Curly Cut and Broken Scotch Cake (tobaccos that are a bit feeble and colourless on their own) and Balkan Mixture (to fill out the taste a little). Mix it well in and leave the result in the jar for a few days, to give the tobaccos time to get to know each other properly. Have a go - use whatever proportions you wish, depending on how well you like Latakia. I find the flavour here very sharp and salty and clear, and you may discover that a little goes a long way.

This is good stuff for the amateur blender to have fun with. Keep it well quarantined, though. Smoke-cured Latakia is never slow to make its presence felt, and will impart its qualities to whatever other tobacco or pipe it comes into contact with. When you smoke it, the room note is not to everybody's liking.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

This is just Syrian Latakia. It comes in a fine ribbon cut which is uncommon in my limited experience with blending tobacs. It does not taste as rich or complex as the batch of Syrian that Pease, C&D, and Mc Clelland have been using of late. I detect a slight influence of the "Lakeland" scents in it, but that influence may be due to it coming from the same blending factory. It does taste of high quality when smoked by itself, but unfortunately I will leave this to the pros to blend with. I won't buy it in bulk again, but I am sure I have tasted it in many blends from the EU that show "Syrian" as one of the compnents. Think "Brebbia", the new "Ashton", "Wellauer", etc...

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is the real shabang as far as syrian Latakia goes. Those of you who love latakia and are aware of the differences between Cyprian and Syrian, will view this one as a special treat. No other latakia that I've tried has the level of complexity that this tobacco carries. There is an abundence of complex fruit and smoked essence in this one. I use this one in almost all of my latakia concoctions that I create. If you love latakia, this one is for you.